Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Simcoe | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - SimcoeSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Simcoe

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

Reviews: 188 | Ratings: 432
3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

4/5 Latitude

A ~ Same dark coppery Amber that the others posses. This one on the other hand, has a fantastic velvety bubbly head that I notice many simcoe hop brews posses. Great lacing.

S ~ Mint and Grapefruit muddled together with a a lot random bitter flavors roaming around there.

T ~ Clementine, Orange peels, and clementine start it off going into supple peaches and roasted malt and grass. The hop makes that "house malt" flavor of BBC shine in a good light. Very Tasty.

M ~ Bitter oils coat the tongue. A grassy IPA with tiny bubbles, and a smooth mouthfeel, in turn.

D ~ Very very drinkable, balanced IPA with the malt and hops marrying very harmoniously.

One of my favorite hop varietals.

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Deep copper with brilliant clarity. Moderately low off-white head with fair retention.

Aroma-Simcoe always smells a little bit like cat piss to me. Here, the hops come across as piney, citric, and catty. As I grow accustomed to the aroma it has a sort of lemon-pepper smell. Malt is a bit harder to pick up here but comes through as lightly bready with a touch of caramel.

Flavor-Lemon and pine up front with distinct notes of cat piss in the finish. Grows more tolerable as I drink it. I catch some light malt flavors but this one is mostly ruled by the hops. The finish has a sort of sour bitterness to it, very lemony in character. As I drink it I find myself actually liking the flavor. The finish is moderately bitter but the bitterness is of a sharp quality, if that makes any sense.

Mouthfeel-Medium body, moderate carbonation. Not too much to note here, though nothing off.

Simcoe hops always get me. Generally I'm put off immediately by the cat piss notes in the aroma and flavor, but as I drank this one, I noticed the catty notes begin to fade, and some nice lemon, pepper, and pine aromas and flavors emerged. In the end, I thought this one was decent, though those catty flavors in the beginning are a huge turn-off. Definitely a solid beer, but not my favorite hop variety.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Part of the Latitude 48 Deconstructed Variety Pack.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Beer pours a clear copper color. Looks lighter and a touch clearer than regular Latitude 48. Finger of bright white head which slowly receded into some really nice sticky lacing.

Smell is bright, hoppy with strong floral and citrus notes. The Simcoe aroma is unmistakable. Smells like your average West Coast hop bomb.

Grapefruit hops dominates the flavor and is complimented nicely by caramel malts. The bitterness seems to be better balanced than with standard Latitude 48.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Carbonation is pretty run of the mill. Doesn't add much to the beer, but doesn't take much away either.

Overall, I like Simcoe hops so I had a feeling I'd like this varietal. Good single hop IPA.

This is my first one of the five Latitude 48 De-constructed.

Nice tiny bubbles turning into bigger ones rushing towards the top. The color is light copper, kind of like a carbonated apple juice. Nice fluffy and creamy white head. Some nice lacing on the glass.

I really like the smell, piney and citrus aromas are the main focus with a slight caramel malt background.

The Alpha Acids are really working their magic here. Pine and citrus once again the main focus. Dry and bitter but works very well. Some sweetness comes in from the malt, slight caramel flavor.

Light body approaching on the medium side. The bitterness makes the mouth feel a little dry. Feels nice going down, no complaints here.

I like the taste, the feel; this is a solid IPA. Nice and bitter, how a IPA should be. I am becoming a fan of Simcoe Hops for sure. Easy drinker and is a solid first brew to start the de-constructing of one of my favorite IPA's, Latitude 48.

3.38/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a crystal clear copper color with a wispy half-finger head that dissipated quickly. Hardly any lacing to speak of.

S - Healthy aroma of pine, grapefruit, and a hint of dank (pot).

T - Taste matches the nose. Pine, pink grapefruit, lemon peel, and apricot. Caramel malt base, but doesn't stand up to the aggressive hops. Finish is dry and clean with some lingering bitterness.

M - Lighter side of medium bodied, with standard SA prickly carbonation.

O - Decent, but strictly a pine/grapefruit bomb and a very "typical" IPA. Weak appearance and too thin bodied overall.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a somewhat dark but clear copper orange color. One finger of off-white head with some retention but not much lace.

S: Muted peaches and earthy citrus, but no pine. Sweet malt underneath. Even after drinking half the glass and having the pine on the palate, I can't find it in the smell, but the earthy qualities do grow towards the end.

T: Mellow fruits up front give way to gentle pine/grapefruit that lingers through the finish. The bitter finish almost seems to draw the alcohol into the flavor. Also some minerals in the finish.

M: On the light side of medium body, with a bit of a mineral water feel, but also some light oil.

O: Really, pretty good, considering it wasn't brewed to stand on its own, but as part of the deconstructed pack. This is the first of the five single hops that I've tried, and I like it. Looking forward to the rest.

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark Golden color beer. Poured this beer into a pint glass minimal head Modreate to heavy hoppiness. great overall flavor for this beer not the best beer i have had but it is certainly a decent one at the most again cheers to Boston Brewing Company!!

A- Clear amber topped with a thick off white head. Head falls slowly to a cap and leaves some nice rings of lace on the glass.

S- Floral hop notes with hints of citrus, mostly lemon zest and grapefruit.

T- Hints of lemon that build to a bitter grapefruit note. Grapefruit dominates the caramel malt until the finish when the malt finally shines through. The finish is dry and mostly clean with a final note of the grapefruit bitterness.

M- Medium in body and well carbonated. Clean on the palate, about halfway through the glass the hop oil does start to build up.

O- The most well known of the hops to me in this deconstructed IPA so far. As easy hop to note in other beer and a memorable flavor for me. The 6% ABV is hidden and not over the top for the style. Interesting experiment from Boston Beer to deconstruct an IPA into it's hop components and let us taste them separately and then together over these six beers. Mikkeller does something similar with their single hop series and I applaud the fact that Boston Beer has taken it a step further.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter, part of Deconstructed Latitude 48.
A: pours a light white one finger foam head, golden copper color, some stringy lacing, carbonation
S: sweet, grapefruit n pine resin, the sweetest of the bunch so far
M:light to medium
T: fruity, sweet, malty, tropical fruit, grapefruit rind, bitter finish
O: good brew, to me this hop very contrasting hop-starts out sweet and fruity but then finishes bitter, more so than other hop varieties.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

12oz bottle from 12-pack purchased from local Heinen's grocery store ($15.99) poured into SA perfect pint glass. Best until 10/2014.

Clear honey-amber elixir, one-finger, white foam head, thick lacing.

Spice, pine hops, caramel, biscuit malt.

Starts out with a nice pine, spice hop flavor but any promise of showcasing the hops is crushed by the malt.

Medium to light body, evenly carbonated.

Great idea but they really only went half way.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

(12oz bottle from BevMo! Scottsdale). Pours clear copper with chunky off-white head that leaves some sticky lacing. The carbonation bubbles on this one are significantly lighter than all 4 of the other versions. Aroma has some nice citrus notes along with pungent and spicy notes. Taste is sweet caramel malts with bitterness and some spice. Lighter bodied with an oily texure. Bitter finish. This is nice

3.66/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottle from halls in dfw, only place I could find it. Thanks john.

I am going to start all these reviews the same, as it is the same beer...

Great concept and price point, wish more brewers would do this... as it is a beer geeks wet dream.

pours a darker than expected amber color with about a finger of head... awesome lacing clinging for life around the sides.

To begin this, simcoe is one of my favorite hops, so I have high expectations...
Nose is a nice citrus pine, but to be honest I thought it would be stronger... makes me wonder how this was actually done... same amount if each hop, or were different amounts used, based on bitterness, etc? Simcoe is an awesome hop, but the nose is a tad weak here.
The taste is simcoe... nice piney citrus I would recognise anywhere... just wish they used a bit more. But the taste is much more than the nose indicates. This is by far the best latitude single hop... again, a bit weak on the amount I think.

3.8/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours the same true amber dark golden color with hints of copper. This one does seem to have a might more foamy head on it but I am going through hop variety so I beg forgiveness for similarities in the ratings.
S: This is a less intense upfront aroma but has some more subtle full floral notes to it.
T: Very vegital tanginess to the beer. It strikes me as a pine plant flavor with some slight smokiness to it.
D/O: This one embodies a lot of the drinkable qualities of the other ones. Leaves a slight tanginess in you mouth and goes down smooth.

3.93/5  rDev +2.3%

Review # 2 of 6 for the Deconstructed Series. Enjoyed on 7-28-11 in a Samuel Adam's Perfect Pint.

Brew pours a clear and deep burnt orange amber color under a rocky sudsy head. Aroma isn't so deep but does reflect a fine and cool pine and citrus blended note. An overall tone of pine hops seems to rule the blend on the palate though I do pick up on a significant dosage of grapefruit bitterness near the finish. Malt sweetness really makes this nice and smooth and provides the foundation for an honest display of Simcoe. A refreshing and relatively clean finish that lightly resonates with herbal and citrus peel bitterness.

4.83/5  rDev +25.8%

This version of the Latitude 48 is very fruity smelling from the Simcoe hop which also gives off a slight pine and "cat piss" smell that I remember Jim Koch mentioning in an interview about this mix pack. After tasting this beer I can definitely say Simcoe is a very flavorful hop. It does add some bitterness but mostly gives off this sweet fruity herbal slight pine taste that is tart and satisfying. The hop taste also mixes in real well with the bready sweet malt they use.

Actually this hop blends in with the malt profile they chose for every Latitude 48 beer the absolute best. It ends sweet and dry. This is a very flavorful beer that seems to be the most flavorful American hop without being too bitter. The Zeus and Ahtanum seemed to be more of bittering hops... Zeus being the most bitter. So far this is my 2nd favorite beer in the mix pack right behind Zeus which is my number 1 favorite.

3.61/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a tulip.

It's a coppery color with a nice haze. It's got a white that quickly turns to lace.

This smells like wet hops? It's very earthy and the malts are highly prevalent.

It tastes like chives? It's also very piney. These unblended hops are weird. It's very earthy and spicy tasting.

It's medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is a bizarre beer. It's a notion that I'd like to revisit. This hop could be divisive. I could see people not liking it.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date October 2014.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear amber color with one finger off-white head that dissipated quickly leaving a thin unbroken layer of bubbles, medium carbonation, there was significant lacing on the glass.

SMELL: caramel, bread and pine.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet caramel, bread and then a mild piney hop profile, this is a well balanced beer.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: this is the best one so far, apparently I have a preference for the Simcoe hop, this is a nice hop that does not overpower you, very balanced IPA, I would definitely buy this again, Sam Adams had a great idea to deconstruct an IPA blend, I'm learning a lot about my own preferences, thank you Jim Koch!

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a surprisingly dark amber with a small, chunky, off-white head.

You can tell this is simcoe by the nose - the earthy citrus smell is very recognizable. Quite a bit of malty sweetness which I didn't expect in an IPA.

There's definitely a nice hop bitterness that lingers for some time, but the sweetness covers some of this hop flavor up. Grapefruit, grass, and pine are strong.

Overall, this was a good beer to try but there are plenty of IPAs I would rather buy. I had to buy this set though as I think it will be interesting as a homebrewer. Pretty cool of SA to do this.

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

a - Great deep amber body with 1 finger off white head.

s - Well balanced nose. Immediately I got a sweet grainy aroma rich with caramel. A second whiff reveals the tropical fruit specifically pineapple complimented by subtle earthy characteristics.

t- Again a very well rounded brew, the IBUs match the sweetness perfectly. Up front it's bitter but quickly gets met by the malt. Hop flavor which is more earthy and pine than the aroma is strong throughout.

m/d - Appropriate body for the style, full but not sticky. Hop flavor and bitterness lingers. Very tasty and complex despite being a single hop.

4.11/5  rDev +7%

Part 4. Still poured a clear golden amber with a finger of dense ivory head.

Smells malty and woody but taste is more sweet citrus. Medium bitterness that lingers a little bit.

Mouthfeel is still pretty crisp, not too heavy, not too thin. Just right.

I'd probably pick this up on its own if the price was right. Decent

3.84/5  rDev 0%

Deep copper with a single finger, off-white head.

Lots of pine and dankness.

Earthy pine covers up the malt apparent in the varietals. Just lots of simcoe goodness.

Medium bodied, slightly sticky. Good carb.

Simcoe can stand on its own much moreso than a lot of hops, and this beer proves it.

As per my range of 4 out of 5's, I found this to be a good beer. I bought the Sam Adams deconstructed variety pack, and led off with the original Latitude 48. I was disappointed by the surprising amount of maltiness.

Simcoe IPA manages to erase that pathetic memory. It reminds me of Ranger from New Belgium -- bright citrus and piney hops. Delicious and wonderful on the nose.

It doesn't have much haze to it, but the rocky head and the ridiculous amount of lace deserve some credit. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and plan to get another pack to share with friends and appreciate the variety of hops.

Even if BBC is only doing this because they overstocked on ingredients (If Latitude 48 didn't sell that well it wouldn't surprise me) I don't even care. This is a cool idea, and Simcoe is a tasty beer.

Pours deep amber in color, clear, slightly off-white head. Very sticky. Aroma is full of pine notes. I felt it the moment I opened the bottle and started pouring. Very inviting. There is some sweetness or stickiness in the aroma as well. Taste is pure grapefruit. Very pronounced (and a tasty grapefruit at that). Bitterness is up front and lingers a bit. Medium-light body. Fairly smooth and easy drinking (the bitterness is probably on the verge of overpowering, but is not there).

This is the third bottle of in the Latitude 48 series for me. Tasted on day two. Overall I find Simcoe hops not enough by themselves. They provide good components in the form of citrus and pine notes, but I am looking for added flavor from other varieties.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

A day after I try the Latitude 48 IPA Ahtanum I'm trying the Simcoe hops version. Let's see how they compare.

Appearance-wise this looks like the same Latitude 48 IPA that I poured yesterday. The head is lovely, frothy-creamy-looking, off-white, and tall with good retention. I got a PERFECT pour with this one. Head retention is pretty good and lacing is left as well. The beer is amber-copper.

I'd have to say I believe this smells better than the Ahtanum. This is much more floral and the fruitiness is much more like tropical fruits rather than lemon or orange citrus. There's a marked presence of pine as well. I pick up malt graininess too.

I do think this tastes better than the Ahtanum version as well but I'd not say it's exceptionally better. The tropical fruits and pine flavors are more present and there's not the phenol-like taste in there which is a plus. This could be a bit more bitter but I'm not certain. Pine resin and caramel sweetness counter the bitterness while the malt grain gives more of a body. Bitterness lingers past everything else.

Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. This is drier than the Ahtanum version which I like.

Hazy amber with a frothy white head. Leaves pretty good lacing. Aroma is piney, as expected, but a little more muted than I anticipated. Good flavor, very balanced, not a hop bomb but enjoyable. Pretty good body to it, really rounds the beer out nicely. Definitely would have it again.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Simcoe from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)