Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - ZeusSamuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 04-26-2011

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

Resinous pine floral flower smell with some citrus underneath it. The malt is the same like all the other Latitude 48 beers with a smooth velvet like sugar sweet almost bready malt and then come the bitter pine resinous hop that ends dry and bitter. You get a slight touch of citrus hop flavor but I love how the pungent pine hop flavor and bitterness come through a really good amount.. very surprising because it reminds me of a West Coast IPA just with more malts.

My favorite quality about this beer is that the Zeus hop is DELICIOUS. It leaves you with this deep rich pine bitterness that digs into your tongue and almost creates a woody tobacco taste as well. Hands down my favorite single hop beer that I've tried in the deconstructed mix pack. This is more bitter and piney then the original latitude 48 and could even give some West Coast IPA's some good competition especially if they lowered the malt in this.

I wish they released this Zeus IPA as a year round beer with a different malt bill from Latitude 48. It could be a totally new beer for Samuel Adams that would really give the hop heads something to consider as a regular favorite. (1,154 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

I was visiting The Foodery (N. Liberties and I saw that they had singles and sixes of Lat. 48 in bottles and asked if I could purchase singles. "Why would you want to do that?" was the reply and I must have been dumbfounded because the counterman went on to explain that one sixer equaled the SA Lat. 48 Deconstructed series and I could have one of each of the bottles that construed the series by buying one sixer. Deconstructed IPA? Color me SOLD!

From the bottle: "Hop Variety: Zeus; Growing Region Along the 48th Latitude: Yakima Valley, WA; Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Zeus IPA is brewed with only Zeus hops from the Yakima Valley area of WA. The hops are added at three points during the brewing process - bittering, late kettle, and dry hopping. Zeus hops contribute bitterness and an intense, pungent resinous pine flavor. This brew leans strongly toward the hop character, but is softened by the malt's sweetness."

I am a sucker for AIPAs and the very thought of this series set my mouth to watering and my Hop jones Monkey that lives on my back to chattering in a tone that I had not heard before. I am regressing to an earlier, uglier time, thanks to these bottles. The CANQuest (TM) weaned me off of the hop kick and now I am right back on that pony. Dang!

This was the fourth of the six.

How can you go wrong with a hops varietal named for the Greek god of the sky and thunder? By my reckoning, the sky should fall on my head and thunder (and lightning) strike me once I am finished. Once more, I had two fingers of tawny head, but unlike previous iterations, it fell like Wile E. Coyote going over a cliff. The dense, sticky lacing in its wake left me trying to remember where I left the jackhammer so that I could remove it later. Color was a deep copper with NE-quality clarity. Say, if I take these beers to the nearest scrap metal yard, do you think they could use the copper? Nose was as advertised - imagine yourself in a stand of pine trees and it is the dead of winter with snow falling and you have just popped a Wintergreen Life Saver in your mouth and you inhale deeply. Then you exhale. This smelled like what you would taste on the exhalation. Mouthfeel was medium, kind of prickly on the tongue, but Zeus was striking my tongue with thunderbolts of hops. "... [S]oftened by the malt's sweetness"?!? Holy mother, I would hate to be hit by the full-on onslaught! "... [I]ntense, pungent, resinous ..." were all apt adjectives for the pine flavor that was evident in my mouth. Wow! I felt like I were smoking a menthol cigarette or rinsing my dirty mouth with Pine-Sol. Finish was initially equally piney, slowly giving way to a quick wash of malty sweetness and then back to the hops, which simply lingered. Is it good if I do not hear that silly monkey at this point? (2,795 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Small head and copperish to reddish hue. Medium hoppiness and sweetness. Not a bad overall beer. Sam Adams has done themselves well this v pack and beer selection Not too much more else i could really say about this beer other than what i have written (277 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a great copper color with great head and very nice lacing. Excellent deep sweet malty aroma with a great hop hit at the end. Interesting taste, with great malt sweetness, slight caramel flavors, and a wonderful hop citrusnesss. Went down quite well indeed! (263 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

What a wonderful idea by Sammy A! A deconstruction of the Lat 48 so we as beer advocates can taste single hop ales. The Zeus portion was copper clear in color. Good carbonation but head retention was a little amiss. The nose was pine and slight citrus. The taste was a full bodied beer with great pine taste. There is a slight citrus, but the after taste is powered by pine. The mouthfeel was good, some may not like the heavy body, but I sure did. Great Job Sammy A! (467 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

Clear copper, nice sized cream colored head. Whatever, im reviewing the hops in this pack. Scent is a caramel malt start, with a sticky sappy oily hop finish. Caramel start to the taste, but this one is all about oily hop, kinda pungent almost. Trying to think if there have been many beers ive had where this was the sole hop, but i think its used in conjunction a lot. I like this though, i would drink this is this was the recipe.

Im really into these hops, and this is my favorite offering in this extremely cool pack.

You keep brewing, ill keep buying (559 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

Grapefruit, and centennial like burnt fruit aroma, and resin. Smells pretty dank.

Flavor, very resinous of the bat, the middle is fruity, and then the end finish’s bitter. A very nice hop.

This is a very nice hop variety that can handle the job fairly well on it's own. Reminds me of centennial. (301 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from 12oz. bottle with "Zeus" printed on label, into a standard pint glass.
Clear, copper/amber in color, with a nice two-inch head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Earthy hops, faint pine note
Taste-Piney, sappy, earthy coarse hop notes. Great hop-leaf flavor throughout, and sharp, piney hop bite. Diggin' the Zeus hop. (320 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

Piney... resinous... grapefruit smell... Very nice aroma from a hop I'm not too familiar with.

Appearance was beautiful. Clear liquid amber.

Taste is balanced pretty well... More malt in the front with a nice bolt of Zeus' lightning hops in the tail. The bitterness is mostly in the back end of this drink, with thin toffee up front.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Not too thin... right where it should be, I think.

Overall very nice. What a cool concept. Sam Adams does it again! (478 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Pours a rich amber hue and is topped with a sturdy tan cap of froth which deposits huge sheets of lace upon the glass. Nice looking beer.

S - The aroma is rich and piney with hints of white grapefruit and tangerine atop a light caramel. It is very well-apportioned.

T - I am getting an impression that is best summarized as Sierra Nevada-like. I enjoy Zeus the most of the series. The brew is replete with big piney and dank cannabis flavor and little leathery notes. Nice balance, definitely skewed towards hoppy.

M - The feel is sturdy and crisp, has a lot of tooth, and is a medium-bodied brew.

O - As is true with the entire 'Deconstructed' series, I like this one better than the regular Latitude 48. (714 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into one of my pint glasses. This beer pours a clear, deep amber, copper color with lots of little bubbles rising to the beer's surface. Has a nice, fluffy white head that is a good 1/2 inc when first poured. Excellent head retention here. Excellent lacing here too. Aromas of piney, floral, resinous hops with hints of spice along with slightly tasted caramel malt. Taste is pretty much the same, with nice piney, floral, spicey, resinous hop bitterness upfront followed by slightly toasted caramel malt sweetness. The ho flavor is big and bold and certainly dominates the flavor profile but unlike some other hop flavor dominating IPAs it is not overly bitter. Has a slightly crisp and chewy, really smooth. medium bodied mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation. A very good and well balanced IPA with superb drinkability.

Eric (864 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +12%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a DFH IPA glass.

A: Golden-amber clear, with a fine white head and gentle effervescence.

S: Dry-spicy hops. Floral and pleasantly aromatic. Very nice!

T: Mm. I see why Sam Adams saved this for last. Definitely the most hoppy -- and delicious -- one of the set. Who knew I liked CTZ so much? Aftertaste is long, lingering, citrusy, and bitter.

M: Lacking the caramel stickiness of its brethren, this might be why I like it so.

O: Highly recommended. By far the best of the batch, if the thinnest and most astringently bitter. (564 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

A - As all these beers in this set (since the same base is used) the color is a dark amber, clear, with another two inches of head.

S - Another fairly sweet IPA which doesn't smell offending with touches of pine, grapefruit, and maybe a bit of gram cracker sweetness.

T - Not really exploding with flavor but I do get a nice twang of pine in the finish. Sweet notes of orange and grapefruit pine and throughout

M - Simply a light to medium body. Easy summer drinking.

Overall I think this was one of my favorite versions (besides the regular Latitude 48) A nice bit of hops, malt, and smooth body. This ones a keeper. (622 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +11.4%

Hops reviewed only. To see original Review check out the original Latitude 48.

I'm unfamilliar with Zeus hops so this should be interesting. The hops smell quite polleny. It smells like the yellow stuff inside of the hops. Pretty nice. Actually has a bit more of a fresh hop sort of taste than the others I've had so far. The smell is a bit more subdued than the taste. The taste is in your face vegital matter and yellowy hop stuff. Really pretty nice. I may like this a bit more than the Simcoe. Different for sure but nice. (527 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

A: It matches the amber copper deep rich gold of the other beers with an above average head.
S: Deep bitter rich pine resin aroma.
T: Deep rich honey sugary flavor with some rich pine bitterness that makes it taste like sap.
D/O: Very good bittering hop flavor with some nice balanced sweetness while not being overly floral. (325 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

A. Pours out a copper color body with a thin white head that has good lacing and retention and decent carbonation.
S. The smell starts out with caramel and than some pine, mesquite, vanilla, and citrus come into the nose.
T. First thing I taste is caramel followed by some floral, citrus and very strong bitter pine flavors. This single hop IPA has a more bitter and stronger hops taste than the other Sam Adams Lat48 IPA's.
M/O. The mouthfeel is a nice creamy feel that is easy drinking, but finishes off with a dry finish. This is my favorite of the deconstructed Lat.48 and would buy this if they sold it in a 6 pack. (620 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA - Zeus - This is a clear amber ale topped with a creamy off white foam that has excellent retention and lacing. The aroma is like fresh cut pine. There is pine resin and a bit of uglifruit in the nose. It's medium bodied, soft and smooth. The finish is crisp and dry. It's nicely balanced with a piny bitterness and a caramel maltiness. There's way more pine than citrus here. It almost seems savory. This kind of seems like an ESB. This series of IPAs is really fun, because you can see how much impact the hops have on the malt flavor and you can really get to meditate on a single hop. Zeus seems to be all about the pine flavor. (661 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

I had this along with 3 of the other 'deconstructed' latitude 48 single hop beers and the original.

Enjoyed cool and allowed to gradually increase in temp in the taster glass. I split these w/ BA Carlos.

A deep copper the head retention is improved from the Ekg and lace sticks well. In other aspects similar in clarity and bead is the same-small and copper with a visibly carbonated body. The smell is great, the best of the ones we tried. Unfortunately I didn't have access to the Hallertau. I would say this aroma is layered with tropical and lemony/grapefruit citrus notes with a slight floral tinge. The feel is great too, bitter, but tangy/juicy with a slight sweet tinge and mild astringency. The carbonation level is good and finish is semi-dry.

I really like the way the Zeus works with the malt bill, very complimentary a spicy edge to counter the somewhat caramel sweetness. Thereis some juiciness which is lemony and there might be a hint of grapefruit, but probably golden grapefruit not ruby red. I enjoyed the balance yet it does seem to favor the hop in the flavor slightly with the bitterness only slightly higher than the others and generally an overall good hop that stands up well in this IPA. I enjoyed this and would drink it anytime it makes me want to do more Columbus, Zeus or Tomahawk single hop beers as a homebrewer. I have done 1 and it was also very enjoyable. (1,398 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

just a bit lighter than the simcoe version I had the other night with a nicely sized eggshell colored head that retains and laces well.

mmm. pine! fresh cut grass and citrus zest as well. a strong caramel malt base behind that.

caramel malt comes first, pine (resiny!) and grass with some lemon pepper and herbal tea.

very resiny and syrupy medium bodied brew with slight carbonation and a bitter finish.

overall, very good. I like piney IPA's so this one works well for me. A bit too syrupy on the tongue to be easy drinking, but its tasty.

again, wonderful concept. just wish they toned back that malt profile to let the hops really distinguish themselves. (664 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

The beer pours a nice copper color with an inch of creamy foam, which left plenty of lacing down the glass. The pine, citrus and flower mixture of the aroma is inviting. The texture is a little thick with hops, but pleasantly so. The flavor begins with a touch of balancing caramel. It quickly cedes into citrus and pine hops. The palate is left a little dry with hop resin. There is an earthy aspect here too. This beer was designed to showcase Zeus hops and it succeeded. (473 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Part of the Deconstructed 12er. I was thrilled when I bought this, for I sauntered into the tremendous Neil St. Piccadilly, and JD, the manager, said that they just got in the Deconstructed 12 from Sam Adams. I had no idea Sam Adams was making this, and I knew that, with a trip to The Outer Banks coming in the next couple days with fellow beer and IPA lovers, this would get a good test. Indeed it did, and well-deserved.

Zeus received considerable attention, a really good IPA. Clear with a medium golden-amber body, Zeus emits good citrusy, floral aromas. The taste packs a good deal of flavor, especially grapefruit, orange, and lemon peel. Nice malt flavor as well, but definitely plays second-fiddle to the hops. The texture is magnificent, gritty, a touch resiny, but with a smooth finish.

This was to me a close second to Simcoe, extremely good beer. If you see this lurking about in a good beer store, do NOT pass it by. Grab one or two 12-packs and thank yourself as you go. (988 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle with a Best Before Date notched at Sep. Pours a semi translucent amber with a thin head. Strong aroma of pine. Slight floral aroma as well as some grapefruit. Smells great. Taste is mostly pine upfront. A bit flowery. Hints of grapefruit near the end but its minimal. Some sweet caramel and malt flavors. Pine is the main flavor here. This one also has a bit of an oily mouthfeel to it but it isn't overly off-putting. Another solid IPA from this mix pack. Overall, I dig this one a lot and I'm starting to wish these IPAs weren't just a one shot deal. (564 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Deep amber orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big three finger off white head with very good retention and lacing.

Smell: This hop gives a very herbal, piney aroma with some spice and citrus. Lots of pine with good hints of grapefruit, orange, mesquite, and a little pepper. A good amount of caramel and toffee malts round it out.

Taste: Strong piney and citrus taste up front consisting of resin, grapefruit, and orange peel. This is followed by a good kick of peppery spice from mesquite. Solid backing of caramel and toffee malts. The spice makes this hop stand out from the rest of the pack.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very smooth and creamy.

Overall: This hop stands alone very well with the spice adding an interesting element. This pack has been very interesting. (890 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

A: Medium amber, with nice red tones and crystal clear. Nice full light tan head on it. Good lacing.

S: Big pine smell right off the bat. Earthy, herbal, and quite pungent.

T: Earthy Pungent and Piney. With a very strong bitterness in the finish. Big pine and resin flavor. This is a hop that means business, and is pretty damn tasty.

M: Medium body, good carbonation. Clean finish.

O: Tasty as all hell with a very strong bitterness. Tasty, bold, and piney. (465 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a New Belgium globe. Best before September 2011 notched on label.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber color with orange highlights and a 3 finger foamy light tan head. Excellent head retention and perfect lacing which leaves rings of spiderwebs on on the glass.

Smell: Pine is dominant with a little sweet caramel malt creeping through in the background.

Taste: Resinous pine dominates up front - and throughout for that matter - followed by a touch of malty sweetness in the middle before ending with bitter hops at the finish. Aftertaste is bitter and longlasting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a fairly high amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: High drinkability. You could knock back a few of these with no problem.

Overall: Good beer overall. It's probably the most bitter of the Deconstructed bunch. It's definitely worth a try. (877 characters)

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Deconstructed IPA - Zeus from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)