Samuel Adams Bonfire Rauchbier - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Bonfire RauchbierSamuel Adams Bonfire Rauchbier

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Rauchbier |  5.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: HoustonTX on 08-06-2011

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
2.43/5  rDev -31.2%

Got this one out of the fall sampler. Looks nice and smells like your typical rauchbier however the taste was way too smokey and artificial. Too much for me. I think sam adams went over the top with this beer. Almost like they used that fake liquid smoke stuff as an additive to the beer. I wont be drinking this one again.

2.06/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle

Sadly, one of the few from Samuel Adams that I was not a fan of.

Color was a decent copper, good for the fall.

Unfortunately, the smell immediately put me off. Like smelling artificial smoke.

Again, unfortunately the taste was just as bad. Like drinking artificial smoke. Almost as if they were trying to give the beer too much smoke flavor.

The mouth feel wasn't too bad. Thick and smooth enough to make its presence known and to be pleasant to drink.

Unfortunately this brew was a sad let down. I have friends to loved it, but for myself I do not intend to have a repeat.

2.02/5  rDev -42.8%

I must disclaim my inexperience with smoked beers-- in fact, this is the first that I've sampled. I'm normally a fan of IPAs, American Pales, and Hefeweizens, so this is new to me.

That said, I had a distinct dislike for this beer. It has some of the typical Sam Adams flavor notes and feel about it, but I couldn't acclimate to the smokiness. I love the outdoors and campfires, though, so I was tempted to give it a shot.

App: Nice dark copper-amber color with a soft tan head of moderate duration. Not a bad looking beer.

Smell: Distinctively smokey, damp next-morning campfire smell. Honestly, I hesitated a bit before taking a sip.

Taste: Toasted smokey malts, mild caramel. Dominated by the smoke flavor. Some have said this is complex, but to me the only prevalent flavor is smoke. If you don't like smokey beers, you won't likely care for this.

MF: Moderate carbonation typical of the brand, a tad thin for such strong flavors.

Overall: Again, I'm neither accustomed to nor apparently a fan of this style. The bottle was difficult for me to finish, and I'm glad there are only two in the sampler. If you're a fan of smokey beers, though, give it a try.

Poured into a Wei-zen 14oz. glass

Appearance: Very dark amber, not cloudy at all. Has a 1/4inch light amber head.

Smell: Yes it smells, if you think it has an aroma you must be hungry this beer smells of shish-kebabs and steaks. Super-smoked and hardcore meats on top of a wooden-chipped BBQ.

Taste: I am being real with you I try all beers before I judge them but this beer does not taste like your normal "beer". It hints of smoked meat over a fire just like the name of it and an after taste which doesn't leave till after time or after a meal to water it down.

Mouth: Medium to heavy carbonation, sticks to your mouth unfortunately...Sam Adams must have been running the experiment of a lifetime to massively distribute this beer.

Overall: This beer does have a purpose besides making your face squirm, I would definitely use it in a marinade which it probably would excel in. I have had worse beers in my life but with the label of Sam Adams this is by far at the bottom of the list. If I had a slogan it would be "looks good taste morbid"

1.81/5  rDev -48.7%

Pours brownish-orange, with a light orange head that dissipates quickly.

Smells smokey; not appetizing at all.

Tastes... like hotdogs. Actually pretty gross.

This is the shortest review I've written. This beer completely rubbed me the wrong way. The fact that it probably won't rate as the worst beer I've reviewed is a testament to how bad some other beers can be, but this is in no way good. It tastes like campfire hotdogs. Good for hotdogs, bad for beer.

1.42/5  rDev -59.8%

Bottle poured into a standard conical pint glass.

A: Darkish amber. Head dissipated quickly, leaving a minimal amount of lacing.

S: Like a cheap cigar. Slighly sweet and acrid.

T: Worse than it smells. Like licking an ashtray. My wife describes it as 'being mouthraped by a hobo.

M: After the taste, I just wanted to forget that even tried this.

O: Horrible. I would rather not drink beer than ever drink this again.

1.42/5  rDev -59.8%

Bonfire is the right name.. their is smoky beer and then there is this.

If you want your beer to taste like it was filtered through BURNT bacon drippings this is the beer for you. Simply undrinkable.

BTW I like bacon.. but this was somethign else.

1.4/5  rDev -60.3%

In a pint glass and a stange at different times:

A: dark amber hazy body, no head, no lacing

S: smokey meaty coming through in a dull bland way

T: exactly the same as the smell

M: medium, not exactly sessionable (at IMO), bland sticky aftertaste pounding all around my tongue, assault by carbonation, bland meaty finish

O: however I guess this still fits the style, but I'm not a fan of this whatsoever

1.37/5  rDev -61.2%

Tasted and smelt exaclty like buring firewood....Sam Adams Bonfire, no kidding. From the sam adams winter variety pack. Usually the variety packs are hit and miss. The winter pack was a great success. With the exception of "firewood Beer". I guess if you have this beer and take the name literially, you will not be dissapointed, especially if you happen to be a termite.

-Although it's been well over a year since I last tasted this "Gem", The taste is one that will not be forgotton.

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Samuel Adams Bonfire Rauchbier from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)