Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Latitude 48 IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Latitude  48 IPALatitude  48 IPA

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Hopfenpeter on 09-09-2011

In my opinion, this is a traditional pale ale. It's not an IPA, much like Longhammer is not an IPA. It's darker, more malty, and very well balanced. The balancing by Sam Adams is actually becoming a detriment for me. My wife hates IPA's and yet liked this one. Point proven. Not bad if you like pale ales, but a misnomer. Sorry, Jim Koch - I used to love ya, but I had to leave ya. We'll always have Boston Lager... (415 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -40.8%

a very pretty dark amber & thick head with amazing lacing throughout. A nice look for a beer. but that is where it ends for me. IPA's are suppost to follow basic hop rules par say but this beer just was not worth my time. to much on the hops, no flavor at all. pure bitterness. very heavy and a mouth feel of terrible. Not the worst IPA but damn close in my opinion. (366 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

I will review this beer only to say that I personally have not enjoyed any IPAs that I have tried. sorry, can't get past the insanely bitter hops. if anyone has any suggestions for me feel free to let me know, I strive to enjoy every beer this world has to offer. (263 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Samuel Adams makes many excellent beers but this one in my mind is not one of them. All too bitter and harsh. It is not brewart to throw tons of cascade hops in the brew kettle and the result is a rather harsh bitter brew with no delicate balance. (247 characters)

Average is the best I can come up with, and I don't think it is spot on for an IPA. Too much malt flavor, pretty lager-like seemed to me. Looked good - nice translucent golden color. DIdn't find the big impact from hops that I expected, so a bit dissappointed with it overall. It's an OK average brew n my mind that I wouldn't go out of my way for, but wouldn't turn down either.

Reviewed from notes. (401 characters)

Appearance: Amber in color with medium transparency…Poured forming nice head, but that thinned after about a minute…some carbonation bubbles in the middle, but not too many…(3/5)

Smell: Classic IPA aroma…overall, pretty average…can definitely tell it’s a complex blend of hops, typical of sam adams…(3/5)

Taste: While there are multiple hop varieties in this, the flavor is very tame…nothing really stands out, though as a blend the taste is enjoyable…hoppy opening with slight bitter after taste…(3/5)

Mouthfeel: Average heaviness, average carbonation…does leave a hoppy aftertaste…(3/5)

Overall: Though I like the concept of drinking from multiple hops grown near the 48th degree latitude, this beer is pretty basic…there is little that would stand this beer out amongst the growing field of IPA in your local beer store…I’ve bought this in six pack a couple of times, but only when it’s on sale…good to try once, but certainly doesn’t stand out…(3/5) (995 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

actually a pretty good rendition of a real IPA from what has become nearly a mainstream brewery. Sam Adams used to get respect as an alternative to the big breweries but has lost most of their cachet (or self-respect) nowadays and pumped out multiple nonsensical varieties. I still buy and drink Boston Lager (on sale) for lawnmowing and family gatherings, but most of their seasonal product is not that great. This one is good for the price, decently hoppy and not overpowering. Available only in mixed 12-packs as far as I can tell. (534 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

I am in perfect agreement with the other reviewers who basically are saying that this beer is set up nice, but it never blows you away. The description implies a lot when they say its "brewed with a select blend of hops from top German, English, and American growing regions all located close to the 48th latitude within the “hop belt” of the Northern Hemisphere." great marketing, but I prefer a more complex hop profile and fruitiness in the flavor. This is a little bland to me. I live in a small town where the bars don't have anything great on tap - if this was there I would order it in a second compared to your standard BMC, Guiness, Stella, etc. But where there are just so many great IPAs out there to buy- I just had a Ithaca 'Flower Power' tonight for example, this comes out to be about average. The bar is way up there. Very good for a mass production type of brewery I must say though. (904 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2013 edition with mosaic hops

Beige head. Good retention with a lot of lace. Color is a clear golden orange.

Flavor profile is piney hops. Hop resiny juiciness. A fair amount of bready malts. A bit of grapefruit citrus. Pretty standard.

Mouthfeel: bitter and sticky.

Overall, an okay ipa, but nothing standing out here. Decent. (331 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -11%

From a bottle into a New Belgium Globe
A: burnished amber, 2 finger fluffy head that leaves great lacing
S: lots of hops -- grapefruit, blueberry, a little pine -- and a little caramel malty sweetness
T: follows the nose but it doesn't all come together very well, for me; biscuity malts to go with the caramel; pretty sweet, a little soapy, and not very bitter, and then there's almost a metallic edge on the end that doesn't make any sense at all, and isn't pleasant.
M: medium carbonation, fairly thin
Overall: the different parts just don't add up very well. Not real great. (580 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Bottle purchased at AJ's Beer Warehouse in Henrietta, NY.

Pours out a clear rusty amber. About a half inch head, with lots of lacing down the glass. It has that dark IPA look of something that has fallen off, unfortunately.

Smells include grassy hops, some black pepper, a little bit of grapefruit that is sadly faded.

The taste is similar. Some bitter grassiness, a bit of toasty bready malt, a little bit of caramel. No real citrus hop character, which seems to be noted in some of the reviews. Basically bitter with no supporting flavors.

Medium bodied, crisp mouthfeel, medium amount of carbonation.

Not one of the best IPAs I've ever had, by far. I'd like to try some of the deconstructed versions, but I'm not sure they'd be very good. I'd like to try this much fresher. It's a best by of May 2014, but I feel like (not sure) that they put their IPAs as a 6 month out best by date. (892 characters)

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%

Big off white head slowly settles into a nice lacing above a clear copper colored beer.

A light aroma of citrus hops blended with with a light caramel aroma.

Nice citrus hops bite in the taste of this beer, and after the initial hops passes there is a slight maltiness that seems to mix quite well.

A dry aftertaste that bring with it a slight bit of hops and malts with this medium bodied IPA.

A decent enough IPA seems to be better now then when they first released it, either that or the field has got watered down out there. (532 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

interesting mix of German, English and American hops. I had all the single hop deconstructed versions so now time for the version with them all in it.

Aroma leans floral with also some pine....

Taste is oily hop juice..earthy with a piney bitterness on the finish...malt lends light caramel.

Overall it does not turn out nearly as good as I was hoping for as I like all the hops included in this version. It's fine...definitely floral and fresh with a bit of cutting bitterness on the finish..the more I drink the more the bitterness on the finish flexes... (560 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

A- Clear reddish with a light brown head. Way too clear in my mind for any beer. Head leaves lacing and pours relatively thick.

S- Bread is the first thing I get followed by the hop aroma that would remind me of a pale ale.

T- Balanced for the most part with pine hops being the most prevalent flavor. Some sweetness and bitter but not very bitter. A somewhat sour-bitter finish that doesn't seem right.

M- Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy texture and a slippery finish that slowly fades after drinking.

O- Not bad for a Sam Adams IPA, but nothing exceptional either. For the most part it is what I expected for a mass-brew IPA. (642 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This was the first hoppy beer I ever tried. All I remember is an intense hop aroma and bitter taste. At first it was overwhelming but after I was done I had a new appreciation for craft beers. (192 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured 42 degrees Fahrenheit into a tulip glass.

Pours a red-amber with a nicely retained two finger head. Nice lacing.

Smells of caramel, some dirt and breads, and just a hint of hops. Very interesting for an IPA, well layered and rich, not typical though. My interest is piqued.

Taste is a round blend of many of the smells with a tiny hop kick at the end. Really giving a lot of leeway to the malts for an American IPA and this to me makes it feel really kind of dirty. I want that huge hop presence that i was expecting to come clean everything up and it really just dries down into a little bit of a muddled dirt and malts.

Structure is good, just slightly effervescent and a nice roundness to the mouthfeel that makes it feel well crafted.

Overall, a solid effort, not within the style so much that I think of when American IPA is mentioned, as there's no citrus hops, no pine in the nose, etc. I won't be picking this up again probably just because of the identity crisis that it's got going on, but I can see this appealing to a good number of people.

84. (1,069 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this and poured it into a Samuel Adams pint glass.

The first time I had this, I didn't care much for it. I got it again in the Sam Adams Brewmaster's Collection, and I like it more this time around.

Appearance: As I originally thought, a LOT like a Boston Lager, with a similar head, and similar spotty, sticky lacing in areas.

Smell: Roasted malts, and a bit of hops. Pretty nice.

Taste: I still stick by my original review -- a tad bitter. Other than that though, I enjoy it. Roasted malts, earthiness, and some hops, especially with the bite at the end. I even feel like I got a bit of a coffee flavor on one of my sips.

Mouthfeel: Foams up nicely, giving almost a creamy texture. Pleasant.

Overall, I like Latitude 48 IPA more than I originally did, but I still wouldn't buy a six-pack simply due to its emphasis on bitterness over flavor. (855 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

My favorite offering at the time by SA. Pours a slightly cloudy golden with bubbly white head. Aroma of floral, piney hops, citrus, pine, some light flowers. Low to medium bitter , with some clove flavor going on alongside muted pine and very light citrus. A good intro to the style, but nothing special. Very sessionable. (322 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks decent enough. Clear copper under a good sized head that settles to some sort of cap and ring combo. Plenty of lace.

Lots of pine in the nose alongside sugary malt and just a whiff of alcohol. Juicy, resinous. Interesting.

Lots of pine to taste also, alongside some citrus peel. Still pretty sweet from malt, just a tad too much so for my liking. Proper lingering dry hop finish.

Drinkable, just a little too much malt sweetness. (438 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

A-pours a light amber with an off white head with good retention
S-citrus, malt background
T-pine bitterness with hint of citrus in the background. Low malt profile keeping focus on the hops
M-medium bodied
O-pretty decent IPA. Has a good balance while still keeping it hop forward. Wouldn't seek it out but would drink it if it was available (342 characters)

Best before April 2012

A- Dark copper pour with red highlights. Finger width off white head that quickly drops into obscurity leaving a thin ring. Lacing is spotty.

S- Sweet biscuits, with a definite German and English hop presence. not getting the American hop wallop but that could be because of the age or the hop selection itself. It's a mix between a Pale Ale, an IPA and a Pilsener aroma.

T- Slight metallic taste. German and English hops with a floral aftertaste. Sweet and biscuity.

M- Thin to medium bodied. Good carbonation.

O- I guess it's just "not bad" I'd love to know when this was bottled. Considering it's marked retired but the best before date hasn't passed. (682 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date October 2014.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear amber color with one finger off-white head that slowly dissipated until a thin layer of bubbles remained, significant lacing on the glass and slightly higher than average carbonation.

SMELL: sweet caramel, bread a little pepper and some pine.

TASTE: this is not the hoppiest of IPA's, more balanced toward the malt end of the spectrum than most of this style, initially sweet caramel then a mild piney hop profile, it reminded me of an English ale more than an American IPA.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: this was a good beer but nothing special. I bought the deconstructed IPA 12 pack and liked the Simcoe, Mosaic and Hallertau Mittelfrueh single hop versions better. I salute Samuel Adams for coming up with the idea to do this. It was fun and educational. I learned something about my own hop preferences. (949 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle in a mixed 12 pack into a tumbler pint. I was excited to still see it available. Clear, vibrant, caramel coloring with a thin, filmy, clingy, white head. Aromas of resiny, wet hops and rich, sweet caramel and toffee. Flavors are sharp and bitter initially, with rich, wet hops shining through, balanced with a sweet, roasty toffee backbone. Rich and bitter balanced aftertaste with a rich, slick finish. Tasty. (431 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured a 2" white head packed tight with a few curious giant bubbles in it. Slightly hazed lovely mahogany color. Smells very nice - caramel and burnt sugar. Taste is really quite mild for an IPA and although good does not come anywhere close to what the smell foreshadowed. Personally I think this is a C beer dressed up through hyped carbonation and color crafting to make it appear B or even A. (397 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a dark orange-amber color with a 1" head of light tan. Decent retention. Drops to a clumpy, thick film with some pretty good lacing.
Smell is not all hops, there is balance. Hops is present, of course, though there is malt along with a green grape and caramel notes. Biggest problem here is the scent is weak, well balanced but hard to pick up.
Taste is hops first with lighter malt, citrus, evergreen and some woodiness. Decently balanced but not as well as the nose. A fairly complex IPA, though.
Mostly full-bodied, warming with a somewhat restrained carbonation, for the style at least. A drinkable beer that tries to let you know not to drink too fast. Only 6% ABV but feels like 8% in many ways. Better than the other way 'round. (741 characters)

Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)