Latitude 48 IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Latitude  48 IPALatitude  48 IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Hopfenpeter on 09-09-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

Average is the best I can come up with, and I don't think it is spot on for an IPA. Too much malt flavor, pretty lager-like seemed to me. Looked good - nice translucent golden color. DIdn't find the big impact from hops that I expected, so a bit dissappointed with it overall. It's an OK average brew n my mind that I wouldn't go out of my way for, but wouldn't turn down either.

Reviewed from notes.

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%

A - Pours a rich, deep amber, that shines dark orange in the light. Head boiled up to about a fingers worth, slow to fade, good retention.

S - Good lord! Smells exactly like the envy of every hop-oriented brew. The perfect, clean smell of hops up front, with mild malt sweetness hovering just below. You can detect a mild citrus zest, and a touch of floral aroma. Very balanced, very clean. My mouth buds are jealous of my nose.

T - Malt sweetness dominates for a half second, but as your mouth adapts, it is punched by a thorough burst of hops. The floral side of the hop character seems to be the winner, with the citrus notes trailing just behind the swallow. All in all, very balanced and surprisingly delicious. The bitterness of the hops fades quickly.

M - Standard IPA mouthfeel, enough thickness to give it heft and character, not so much that it requires chewing. Smooth drinking, with very subtle carbonation.

O - My experience with Sam Adams is that they generally have a terrible aftertaste with a lot of their most highly regarded beers. This particular beer surprised and delighted me. Not overpowering, but definitely flavorful and interesting. I would drink this again. Right now, in fact, I think I will. I would recommend this is a good starting point IPA for people who've just started exploring craft brews. The drawback is that, as far as I know, these are only available in sample pack releases now. Hopefully they'll bring it back full time.

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle in a mixed 12 pack into a tumbler pint. I was excited to still see it available. Clear, vibrant, caramel coloring with a thin, filmy, clingy, white head. Aromas of resiny, wet hops and rich, sweet caramel and toffee. Flavors are sharp and bitter initially, with rich, wet hops shining through, balanced with a sweet, roasty toffee backbone. Rich and bitter balanced aftertaste with a rich, slick finish. Tasty.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

A-pours a light amber with an off white head with good retention
S-citrus, malt background
T-pine bitterness with hint of citrus in the background. Low malt profile keeping focus on the hops
M-medium bodied
O-pretty decent IPA. Has a good balance while still keeping it hop forward. Wouldn't seek it out but would drink it if it was available

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a light copper with a big and very persistent head. Great lacing. Smell is very nice citrusy hops. Lemon peel. Could be a little more intense though. Taste is bitter and citrusy hops throughout. A bit of sweet malt in the background. Bitter hoppy aftertaste. Nice. Mouthfeel is somewhat light and watery. It's nice to see Sam Adams doing an IPA. Overall this is a good, if somewhat typical IPA.

3.34/5  rDev -8%

Big off white head slowly settles into a nice lacing above a clear copper colored beer.

A light aroma of citrus hops blended with with a light caramel aroma.

Nice citrus hops bite in the taste of this beer, and after the initial hops passes there is a slight maltiness that seems to mix quite well.

A dry aftertaste that bring with it a slight bit of hops and malts with this medium bodied IPA.

A decent enough IPA seems to be better now then when they first released it, either that or the field has got watered down out there.

3.56/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a dark orange-amber color with a 1" head of light tan. Decent retention. Drops to a clumpy, thick film with some pretty good lacing.
Smell is not all hops, there is balance. Hops is present, of course, though there is malt along with a green grape and caramel notes. Biggest problem here is the scent is weak, well balanced but hard to pick up.
Taste is hops first with lighter malt, citrus, evergreen and some woodiness. Decently balanced but not as well as the nose. A fairly complex IPA, though.
Mostly full-bodied, warming with a somewhat restrained carbonation, for the style at least. A drinkable beer that tries to let you know not to drink too fast. Only 6% ABV but feels like 8% in many ways. Better than the other way 'round.

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%

Next one with Areich6, needed something to get that chitty cinnamon taste out of my mouth

A- Pours a nice light amber with a big head that leaves tons of lacing

S- Smells awesome with a great hit of hops and not much malt to bring it down

T- Nice sharp hop bite in the front but it leaves me too quickly. I want that hop bite to last so much longer.. sadface.jpg

M- Little too creamy for an IPA but I would prefer that over too thin

O- Really solid but not mind melting. Would drink again

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a nice dull brownish amber with a nice frothy white head, like most of the Sam Adams beers.

Smells of nice spicy hops with a sweet fruit character.

Tastes nice and hoppy, heavy on the hops, not very complex however, more bitter than anything.

Nice smooth, thick mouthfeel, overall a very good IPA.

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this and poured it into a Samuel Adams pint glass.

The first time I had this, I didn't care much for it. I got it again in the Sam Adams Brewmaster's Collection, and I like it more this time around.

Appearance: As I originally thought, a LOT like a Boston Lager, with a similar head, and similar spotty, sticky lacing in areas.

Smell: Roasted malts, and a bit of hops. Pretty nice.

Taste: I still stick by my original review -- a tad bitter. Other than that though, I enjoy it. Roasted malts, earthiness, and some hops, especially with the bite at the end. I even feel like I got a bit of a coffee flavor on one of my sips.

Mouthfeel: Foams up nicely, giving almost a creamy texture. Pleasant.

Overall, I like Latitude 48 IPA more than I originally did, but I still wouldn't buy a six-pack simply due to its emphasis on bitterness over flavor.

In my opinion, this is a traditional pale ale. It's not an IPA, much like Longhammer is not an IPA. It's darker, more malty, and very well balanced. The balancing by Sam Adams is actually becoming a detriment for me. My wife hates IPA's and yet liked this one. Point proven. Not bad if you like pale ales, but a misnomer. Sorry, Jim Koch - I used to love ya, but I had to leave ya. We'll always have Boston Lager...

2.16/5  rDev -40.5%

a very pretty dark amber & thick head with amazing lacing throughout. A nice look for a beer. but that is where it ends for me. IPA's are suppost to follow basic hop rules par say but this beer just was not worth my time. to much on the hops, no flavor at all. pure bitterness. very heavy and a mouth feel of terrible. Not the worst IPA but damn close in my opinion.

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

One of the SA IPA Hop-ology beers in the mix pack.

This one poured a very pretty dark amber. Lovely thick head with great lacing throughout. A good-looking brew.

Getting some sweet biscuity malt upon the first whiff...some buried flowery hops as well.

Taste follows...certainly a big malty sweet kick. The hops are secondary on this one; the sweet biscuity malt dominates the palate...a bit of flowery, earthy hops, but not a bitter blast. Folks seeking a fairly smooth, non-puckering IPA may certainly enjoy this one a bit more than those looking for a west coast hop bomb.

Not a bad release from Sam Adams, but it certainly does not hit the IPA home-run...just a solid base hit.

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%

A- Clear reddish with a light brown head. Way too clear in my mind for any beer. Head leaves lacing and pours relatively thick.

S- Bread is the first thing I get followed by the hop aroma that would remind me of a pale ale.

T- Balanced for the most part with pine hops being the most prevalent flavor. Some sweetness and bitter but not very bitter. A somewhat sour-bitter finish that doesn't seem right.

M- Medium body and medium carbonation. Creamy texture and a slippery finish that slowly fades after drinking.

O- Not bad for a Sam Adams IPA, but nothing exceptional either. For the most part it is what I expected for a mass-brew IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Best before April 2012

A- Dark copper pour with red highlights. Finger width off white head that quickly drops into obscurity leaving a thin ring. Lacing is spotty.

S- Sweet biscuits, with a definite German and English hop presence. not getting the American hop wallop but that could be because of the age or the hop selection itself. It's a mix between a Pale Ale, an IPA and a Pilsener aroma.

T- Slight metallic taste. German and English hops with a floral aftertaste. Sweet and biscuity.

M- Thin to medium bodied. Good carbonation.

O- I guess it's just "not bad" I'd love to know when this was bottled. Considering it's marked retired but the best before date hasn't passed.

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Aroma is as much malty as it is hoppy, and has an overtone of honey-sweet apple. It pours a dark, slightly hazy coppery amber with a thick, fluffy and persistent pale tan head. Flavor has firm hoppy and malty notes with an undertone of caramel and subtle bitter and apple notes, plus just a touch of sweetness that balances the hop bitterness. Tasty! Firm, lively texture has a decent amount of fizz and leaves a hoppy, fruity, slightly malty finish.

4.1/5  rDev +12.9%

Bottle into a wide glass. It is a shame that Sam Adams retired this beer. First off we still sell it at the liquor store I work at. This is one of their best beers. As I am just getting into IPA's I used to hate them but I acquire a taste for them and this is one of the better one I have tryed.

Appearance: Deep reddish amber in color, pours well with a nice smooth head to it. Look's good right from the start.

Smell: Very hoppy smell to it but I like the smell. It has a very fresh smell. I would say above average for a typical IPA.

Taste: Rich and hoppy notes hit the palate. Boston Beer Company has outdone it self with this little gem. From the first sip to the last the taste is consistently good, not great but pretty good. Not a huge Sam Adam's fan but I am impress with this beer.

Mouthfeel: Slightly bitter and first but then a smooth rich after taste. To me most IPA are a little bitter.

Overall: For the price of $7.99 a 6pk compared to other IPA's it definitely is excellent. Also considering that I am not a fan of Sam Adams and this is one of their products I am impressed.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

A: 5 fingers of foamy head. Beautiful lacing, deep red/amber color. It looks very pretty.

S: Amber hop aroma. Crisp and clean. Some floral notes in there.

T: Very hoppy, very bitter, but with a sweet, clean finish.

M: Just the right amount of carbonation. Nothing overbearing, but enough to give it body.

O: A really nice hoppy IPA. If you love hops, as I do, you will like this beer. Sam Adams wins again.

4.08/5  rDev +12.4%

orange hue to it. Lots of visible carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass. Upon pour a nice, two inch plus head of off white,

notes of citrus as well as a piney sort of smell were both very evident from the beginning. However, there was more to it then that, in fact there was a nice malted back that made up the bulk of the aroma assault of piney like hops. Not extremely bitter, but rather mellow and smooth and just enough to get the ball rolling. A tremdous amount of malt then becomes apparent. Great earthen tones again, and a good use of roasted malts. Nice sweetness, some light candy like sweetness, but primarily a dark, balancing sweetness to it. Great dry finish,

4.01/5  rDev +10.5%

Look: Pours a cool looking copper color with a great 1 inch off white head and great retention and great circular lacing

Smell: Great hop aroma. It's not overly piney or earthy but for me just the right amount of hops on the nose

Taste: The flavor has a bunch of piney hop notes and a nice caramel background and just a slight candy finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to light body with a fair amount of carbonation and a slight dry finish

Overall: I actually really liked this beer quite a bit and I highly recommend this beer.

2.43/5  rDev -33.1%

I will review this beer only to say that I personally have not enjoyed any IPAs that I have tried. sorry, can't get past the insanely bitter hops. if anyone has any suggestions for me feel free to let me know, I strive to enjoy every beer this world has to offer.

Smelled fairly bold with floral, pine, and a multitude of other hops on the nose.

First taste was pretty good. Fair amount of bitterness, then finishes crisp with a bit of bitterness on the aftertaste.

Fairly light on the palate. Hops makes the likelihood of pounding a few of these unlikely.

Overall, a solid American IPA. Nothing too special, but then again, still pretty good.

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Sam Adams glass. This beer pours a clear, dark amber color. The white head is a good 1/2 inch when poured, eventually settling to a good thick white ring lining the inside of the glass and a nice layer of foam on the surface. Decent lace too. Aromas of citrus, floral, and pine hops were also present. Has a nice floral, citrus hop flavor upfront, along with a more earthy hop undertone, followed by chewy caramel malt. Good balance of flavors, with the hop varieties dominating a bit, as it should be. Has a crisp, smooth, medium bodied mouthfeel with mild to moderate carbonation. Coats the inside of my mouth nicely. An all around very good beer here.

3.15/5  rDev -13.2%

I am in perfect agreement with the other reviewers who basically are saying that this beer is set up nice, but it never blows you away. The description implies a lot when they say its "brewed with a select blend of hops from top German, English, and American growing regions all located close to the 48th latitude within the “hop belt” of the Northern Hemisphere." great marketing, but I prefer a more complex hop profile and fruitiness in the flavor. This is a little bland to me. I live in a small town where the bars don't have anything great on tap - if this was there I would order it in a second compared to your standard BMC, Guiness, Stella, etc. But where there are just so many great IPAs out there to buy- I just had a Ithaca 'Flower Power' tonight for example, this comes out to be about average. The bar is way up there. Very good for a mass production type of brewery I must say though.

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured a 2" white head packed tight with a few curious giant bubbles in it. Slightly hazed lovely mahogany color. Smells very nice - caramel and burnt sugar. Taste is really quite mild for an IPA and although good does not come anywhere close to what the smell foreshadowed. Personally I think this is a C beer dressed up through hyped carbonation and color crafting to make it appear B or even A.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Latitude 48 IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)