Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-03-2011)

Edhel, Sep 01, 2014

JustinMatthew, Sep 12, 2012

TheRuss9585, Sep 16, 2012

Plastikdust, Oct 22, 2013
2.08/5  rDev -42.5%

A – I poured the beer into a Sam Adams pint glass. It was amber in color and got darker at the wider portions of the glass. There were three fingers of head, which subsided within two minutes. A very thin layer of carbonation bubbles stayed on top of the beer.
S – The beer smelled like cheap watered down light or even diet beer, but it also reminds of the smell of some of my favorite amber beers. Not sure why, but amber beers always smell like watered down cheap beer to me.
T – This beer starts out with a deep roasted taste and quickly fades to a bitter alcohol taste. Several seconds after my swallow I taste pumpkin. Not the pumpkin I expected though. Not the sweet kind like in pumpkin pie or pumpkin bread, but bland as if you reached into a pumpkin and put its slimy contents directly into your mouth.
M – Strong carbonation and thin.

Josh, Oct 18, 2012

Satchboogie, Aug 13, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -37%

grundsow18, Sep 18, 2014
2.45/5  rDev -32.3%

Portion of a 22 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a burgundy color with excellent clarity for a dark beer. The head is a two finger offwhite color that recedes to about a half finger in a quick manner, but it leaves a nice ring of lacing on the glass.

S: Well spiced in general; there are notes of cinammon, cardamom, and allspice. If I really focus, I can get a bit of smokiness to it. Sadly, there isn't much pumpkin, but it's still an acceptable aroma.

T: An initial wave of light smoke gives way to...well, I don't know. Normally, I'd pick out how the flavors progress in a story like manner, but there's something incredibly nondescript about this. Everything just blends together to an excessive degree, to the point where I have a LOT of trouble picking out the pumpkin and the spices. I don't hate the taste by any means - after all, how is it possible to hate something so bland and neutral tasting?

M: The body is neither heavy nor light, but it has a slight creaminess to it I kind of enjoy. Otherwise, like the flavor, it suffers from being too neutral and unassuming. Carbonation is on the lower side.

O: A good idea with a fairly poor execution, but at least it's mildly drinkable. Sam Adams makes quite a few good brews - this isn't one of them. To be fair, this isn't my favorite style, but I nonetheless won't be repeating this one.

ThisWangsChung, Sep 02, 2012

cardinals22, Thursday at 12:36 AM

scm2787, Oct 22, 2012

JohnnyK, Sep 28, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

after having a few beers tonight I decided to take a shot at Samuel Adams Fat Jack. I've got to say, every time I passed this beer on my way to pick up a Pumking (if you haven't had it you need to find it and hoard it forever). I've got to say I'm pretty happy that I've picked pumking over this 99/100 times. I feel like it literally tastes like a slim jim. the smell doesn't add a thing to the experience and the taste is far off from what the label describes it as. do yourself a favor and pick up something you can drink without thinking about macho man randy savage

PabstLou, Sep 27, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -30.9%

A: a very dark copper red. With alot of head upon pouring the beer. This color is very common for pumpkin ales. So far not very characteristic of this beer style.

S: Very faint smell of spices, pumpkin. Its very rich smelling and quite common for pumpkin ales, just not so strong. I really am looking forward to tasting this beer. I don't smell very much alcohol either.

T: First and foremost the alcohol is very evident when first tasting. I can also taste some spices and some of the pumpkin but not too much. The alcohol just takes over, and this somewhat ruins the beer for me.

M: Very very creamy. Almost no carbonation, and this is a pretty medium-high thick beer. I can't complain about the mouthfeel, but i'm not impressed.

Overall: There is alot of alcohol detected when tasting this beer, that i don't detect when i smell it. I'm disappointed by the taste, after expecting a lot more from Sam Adam's special beers.

Fergyx825, Sep 13, 2013

Belittle, Jan 10, 2014

rjvanston, Sep 19, 2013
Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)