Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin AleSamuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-03-2011

3.25/5  rDev -10%

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

A: a very dark copper red. With alot of head upon pouring the beer. This color is very common for pumpkin ales. So far not very characteristic of this beer style.

S: Very faint smell of spices, pumpkin. Its very rich smelling and quite common for pumpkin ales, just not so strong. I really am looking forward to tasting this beer. I don't smell very much alcohol either.

T: First and foremost the alcohol is very evident when first tasting. I can also taste some spices and some of the pumpkin but not too much. The alcohol just takes over, and this somewhat ruins the beer for me.

M: Very very creamy. Almost no carbonation, and this is a pretty medium-high thick beer. I can't complain about the mouthfeel, but i'm not impressed.

Overall: There is alot of alcohol detected when tasting this beer, that i don't detect when i smell it. I'm disappointed by the taste, after expecting a lot more from Sam Adam's special beers.

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%

3.72/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a beautiful deep copper red with a huge fluffy 4 finger head with awesome retention and lacing

S - Not as much aroma as I expected it would have. Still, the aroma that is there is pleasant. I picked up pumpkin, caramel, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Good balance too. None of the aromas seemed to over power the others.

T - Big flavor! Nutmeg hits her palatte immediately. Then comes a nice balanced blend of other tastes...pumpkin, caramel, toffee, cinnamon. I also like the fact that the pumpkin is not everpowering. Its just right for my tastes and mixes well with the other flavors.

M - A medium body creamy feelnig beer. It does have a nice burn from the alcohol content, but still I would call it fairl smooth drinking.

O - Great fall pumpkin beer! Love the fact that the pumpkin isnt overpowering and doesnt mask the other flavors in the beer. Very well balanced. A very drinkable beer but one is enough (specially since I had a 22 oz bomber). Strong stuff and you can feel the burn

3.97/5  rDev +10%

My initial pour and taste didn't have high hopes for this beer. While the color is very caramely (is that a word) and hazel brown with a 2" head (aggressive pour) the taste really develops. The caramel and hints of subtle pumpkin pie are definitely there. Along with all of the classic spices. Kudos go out to Samuel Adams for a good beer (finally). I still am on my quest to find one that beats the Schlafly/Pumking/Chatoe Rogue but I don't see it happening....

A: hazel brown/caramel

S: spice and pumpkin

T: subtle pumpkin with a robust rich flavor of spice/caramel

M: smooth and heavier than expected

O: Top 10 pumpkin beers.

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.7/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

There's no doubt that this is a good beer, but I think many are disappointed because it labels itself a "double pumpkin" beer when actually the pumpkin flavor takes a backseat to the spice. There are flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, malt, a bit of hops, and vanilla. The alcohol is well concealed in the taste, but there's nothing here that's particularly exciting. I paid around $8 for 1 pt. 6 fl,. oz. (hence the slightly lower "Overall" rating) and frankly I wish I would've spent that money elsewhere, but the beer was still enjoyable.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Look: It pours a really rich brown, with about a one finger head with a vigorous pour. A pretty solid amount of lacing throughout, and after 15 minutes, there's still a film of foam on top.

Smell: Almost nothing. at first. I was hoping to get a rich amount of pumpkin in my face, but it's really lacking. As it warmed up, it got a bit better, but not by much. There's a hint of pumpkin, and a soft chocolate note as well. Perhaps nutmeg that I just think is chocolate.

Taste: Very surprising, after the lackluster smell, I was expecting the exact same, but it packs a bit of a punch. The pumpkin spices are pretty prominent, and it's backed up by the nutmeg, with a bit of caramel.

Feel: A bit slick on the tongue, medium bodied, and warm going down.

Overall: I was pretty surprised by this one. Sam Adams rarely disappoints, but this was a tier higher than I was expecting from them. I was expecting a top 15 pumpkin brew, but this is easily in the top six. The only thing keeping it from really excelling was the lackluster aroma. I'll probably go pick up a couple of more though before the season ends so I can have some in October.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)