Samuel Adams Black & Brew Coffee Stout - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Black & Brew Coffee StoutSamuel Adams Black & Brew Coffee Stout

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Stout |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Vixie on 10-22-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Black & Brew Coffee Stout Alström Bros

3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: pours black with a tan head, almost no lace

S: coffee at first, nice and sweet, a little bit of alcohol presence

T: more coffee up front, followed by some sweetness and a tiny bit of hops

M: average body, low carbonation

O: a decent stout, nothing to write home about

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I poured a bottle into a Samuel Adams glass.

Appearance- Black as night with a two finger tan head. Fair amount of lacing.

Smell- Subtle aroma of coffee and roasted malt.

Taste- Roasted malt and coffee. The coffee is nicely done not overpowering.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy. Full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall- I was a little apprehensive about this beer, but I really like it. My wife tried it and loves it and she hates dark beers. I wished Sam Adams sold this in 6-packs.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

This stout is pretty good with loads of coffee. There is something different in the nose I cannot place.

A-Pretty much black or very dark mohangony.

T-pretty much malt and coffee is all you get with a tad bit of tartness from I don't know what

M-pretty light and goes down smooth

I may buy again.

4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

I poured this into my Cigar City snifter.

A: Poured about as black as a cloudy night in Seattle, with about 1/3 finger head that died down into a cobweb-like lacing that clung to the glass in spades.

S: Nice, but not in-your-face smell of fresh coffee grounds infused with a lactose-esque stout.

T: Despite the coffee flavor, there was not one iota of bitterness to this. This is sort of the coffee equivalent of a Starbucks gourmet foo-foo drink that they make for us non-coffee drinkers... with heavy whipped cream and all!

M: Very creamy and delightful, perfectly carbonated, and the VERY subtle coffee notes were perfectly realized for my tastes.

O: Different Strokes for different folks I would say about this one. If you are a hard-core coffee-a-holic and like lots of bitter coffee notes digging into your palate, you may not care for this one. But, if you're like me and like for the coffee to be candy-ized, you'll probably dig it! I think this in one of the best brews that Sam Adams makes.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

To me, throwing this in with ordinary stouts is marginal. Coffee flavored things are in a class by themselves. But this one is better than most coffee flavored things because the coffee taste is very subtle. As an American stout, it is mild too. Well balanced, but mild.

Because of this mildness, it is inherently easy to drink, but somewhat unsatisfying. There is no outstanding characteristic. I will probably have more of the holiday samplers this season, but I wish the lambic were still there. That and I would buy a twelve of Old Fezziwig.

3.45/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

It's black but not opaque. Its head is tan and disappears to lace pretty quickly.

It smells like coffee and roasted malts.

It tastes like coffee and roasted malts, a bit sweet as well.

It's pretty crisp. Thinner than I would have liked.

Overall I don't go crazy for coffee stouts. If there's a coffee flavor that's usually a good sign, but mixing coffee and stout does not a good beer make. This beer's average, I've had better and I've had worse.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a deep mahogany color with tight mocha head that leaves a nice layer of lacing.

Smells of slightly burnt coffee notes and some sweetness.

Tastes of roasted notes with a mild sweetness. Notes of bittersweet chocolate, medium roasted coffee, and a bit of brown sugar come through. A touch of nuttiness also comes through and adds some depth. Some acidity comes through, but not quite as acidic as french press coffee.

Mouthfeel is medium-full with a creamy amount of carbonation.

Overall, a very solid coffee stout that falls in line with expectations. It doesn't have that wow factor, but is still quite pleasant to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

I got Samuel Adams Black & Brew in their holiday mixed twelve pack last week for $12.99 at Meijers. I have always thought that Samuel Adams Holiday pack was pretty solid so I was excited to hear that they added a coffee stout, I wish they would have swapped out the Boston Lager instead of the Irish Red, but you can't win them all, so lets see how this new coffee stout is. It was notched best by April. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label on this beer looks good and is pretty straight forward, half coffee, half beer, I can dig it. It poured a pretty nice black color that let just a little bit of light through on the edges and it had three fingers of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left lots of nice lacing. This is a proper looking American Stout.

S- The aroma of this beer is pretty straight forward. It starts of with lots of rich roasted malts that impart a nice dark chocolate aroma. Then comes the coffee which is the most dominating aroma and smells just like a cup of black coffee should, when mixed with the roasted malts and dark chocolate it has an aroma similar to a good espresso. Just going by smell it might be easy to mistake this for actual coffee.

T- The taste starts off with a good amount of rich slightly sweet roasted malts that have just the right amount of roast to them. There is a nice amount of dark chocolate in there that is quickly followed by a large amount of black coffee that really shows up towards the end and into the aftertaste. I don't pick up any hops and the finish is very smooth with hardly any bitterness.

M- Smooth, creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied, and it had just the right amount of medium carbonation. It had a pretty good mouthfeel but I think it would be perfect if it was slightly thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty damn good Coffee Stout and a good American Stout. I find that most coffee stouts tend to be bigger and more on the imperial side of the spectrum so I liked the fact that Sam Adams chose to use an American Stout as the base of this beer, there are enough Imperial Coffee Stouts, it nice to have one that is a little lighter with better drinkability. This beer has really good drinkability, some of those coffee stouts are so rich and robust that you really can't have more then one, but with this beer I feel like I could have two or three without being overwhelmed by the flavor. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor and the look, this beer looked damn good and the flavor had just enough roast and coffee flavor to it. The only thing I would change would be to make it just a little thicker, but other then that it is pretty spot on. I will for sure be getting the Holiday pack again, with beers like this, chocolate bock, and holiday porter make this the most solid Holiday pack around, I only wish that they would put this in six packs. I recommend this beer to anyone that is a fan of coffee flavors in their beer, this beer should do the trick. I really like this beer, I like to refer to this beer as Breakfast Stout Light, the flavors are pretty similar ir is just in a lighter and more drinkable beer. This is one solid coffee stout and this beer fits in nicely in their holiday pack, good job Sam Adams, I going to miss this beer when the season is over.

3.18/5  rDev -13.4%

A- Dark brown. Head is one finger and tan. Lasts oretty well. No lacing.
S- Aroma is burnt toast, some coffee, and a bit of fruit.
T- It starts out a bit sweet with some caramel flavors. Coffee picks up in the finish. A bit astringent. Burnt toast. Alcohol is faintly present.
M- Carbonation is pretty good. It nears but doesnt quite get to creamy. Body is pretty light.
O- It's ok, but I expect more out of coffee stouts, especially one made by a brewery I usually like so much.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - pours a medium brown, forming a 1 inch mocha head with light lace.

S - strong aroma of espresso coffee.

T - flavor is not as strong as the aroma, beginning with a nice espresso flavor along with the roasted malts. Not much else is noticeable. The flavor hits hard up front then falls flat.

M - medium bodied but a bit thin for the style. Low carbonation and very smooth.

O - not a bad addition to the Sam Adams winter pack, but I'm not sure I would buy a sixer of it. The flavor and mouthfeel are a little thin for my taste.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle from Winter Pack. Pours dark brown with a thick, tanned, creamy head and a lot of lacing.
Aroma is of coffee, toasted malt, dark fruit and hints of caramel. The body is medium and creamy. Flavors are toasted, roasted malt, coffee and dark fruit. The finish is medium, bittersweet. On a light side, but tasty, easy drinking brew.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours black in color with a one finger head that leaves great lacing. Aroma of chocolate malts and coffee. Taste follows the nose but the coffee is off, tastes like cheap coffee, follows with sweet chocolate. Mouth feel is a bit thin but that makes it easier to drink. Not too bad but not fantastic

Samuel Adams Black & Brew Coffee Stout from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)