Tasman Red IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Tasman Red IPATasman Red IPA

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: ReelBigwigFish on 10-25-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tasman Red IPA Alström Bros

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I got a bottle of Samuel Adam's Tasman Red IPA in their Hopology variety pack last week for $13.99 at Meijers. A hoppy Red Ale sounds pretty good tonight and I'm always down to try a new Samuel Adams beer, so lets see how it goes. 2013 release, no visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, but it's not that eye catching, just a picture of an old man. It poured a nice copper/red color that took on a nice bright ruby red color with a finger and half worth of light tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some decent lacing behind. This a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that impart a grainy, caramel, and biscuit like aromas. After that comes some fruits which are sweet and juicy and impart some nice dark fruit aromas that are a little grape like mixed in with some nice citrus hop aromas to make for a pretty nice fruit aspect to the aroma. This beer had a good aroma, the malt base was nice and the extra fruity aspect was nice and unique.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma, it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of malts that imparted some grainy, caramel, biscuit, and brown bread flavors. Up next comes the hops which impart an herbal and fruity flavor with no single fruit really sticking out. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of medium bitterness followed by a sweet and malty aftertaste. The taste was ok, but it seemed to be much more Red Ale than IPA and I wish more hoppy flavors and a little more bitterness came through.

M- Smooth, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was nice, but i wish it was a little thinner and crisper.

Overall I thought this was an ok beer, but it wasn't a good example of a Red IPA, I thought it was just too light on the hops and if I didn't know it was labeled as a Red IPA I would have thought this was just another normal Red Ale. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but it was a little filling and the flavors couldn't hold my attention, I could drink another one, but I really don't have the urge to so one would be enough for me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it was pretty nice, i liked the added fruity aroma and the appearance was good too. What I liked the least about this was the taste, it was much more Red Ale than IPA and more hops would help this beer be true to it's name. I wouldn't buy this beer on its own, it I wanted a good Red IPA, I would grab a Reds Rye from Founders, I can't say that I would recommend this beer, but give it a try if you really like Red Ales. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I don't think it really lived up to it's name, it wasn't bad, but it's not anything that I feel the need to drink again, Better luck next time Samuel Adams.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Tasman Red IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)