The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

The Vixen Chocolate Chili BockThe Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ReelBigwigFish on 10-27-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +30.8%

From 1 Pt 6oz. bottle, no freshness date but labeled "Batch #1".

Aroma of sweet chocolaty malt. Color is deepest brown with very full deep beige head. head lasts and laces the glass wonderously! Taste is absolute heaven ! Flavors of Chocolate, cinnamon, sweet malt. Not hoppy. Chilies are more discerned by light heat rather than anything else. Excellent warmer on a cold rainy night! This is my first try of a beer with chilies in it, I hope this is typical! (460 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours dark, almost black, with thick head. Probably the most head I've ever seen on a lager, but eventually thins to a lace. Smells chocolatey with lots of alcohol. Goes down very thick and smooth with a slight burning later in the back of the throat. Not sure if it the chili or alcohol. Overall this is an excellent beer. I've never been into chili beers much, but this one stands out. (387 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: Dark and thick. A good two inches of foam when poured into a tulip glass.
Smell: Cocoa! Really great smelling beer. Great preview of great things to come.
Taste: Outstanding. Sweet with a nice subtle hint of chili pepper. As the beer warmed up its more distinctive, complex flavors began to come out. Nice chocolaty finish with that little chili bite. Very unique.
Mouthfeel: Thick and hearty. Apparently bocks were once called "liquid bread" by monks and I feel this is accurate as this beer is a sweet, delicious meal in a bottle. Light carbonation.
Overall: Great beer. Extremely unique. I will definitely try to find this one again. (648 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

Nice bock. Pours a lovely dark, smooth brown, almost black. Huge tan head, nice stickiness and lacing.

Sweet aroma. Subtle chocolate and smooth caramel. A very light smoke on it, but the light cinnammon gets attention. The chili gets better and better as it warms. It also gets a bit more boozey as it warms.

Beer is very smooth and worth a try. Its not your typical Sam.

Overall a very nice beer (401 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Bock? really? This things 8% abv, should be doppel bock right? That's how I'm gonna look at it.

Deep deep auburn brown color with a big creamy off white head which is dissipating rather quickly. Big chocolate scents on the nose. Sweet milk chocolate, sticky caramel malts and a touch of chili comes through as well.

Creamy mouthfeel with a lactic presence. Balance is very good. Sweet milk chocolate up front followed by a gooey caramel presence and balanced and finished by a touch of chili. My throat cant detect the heat, but I can taste it. My boss was able to detect the heat a bit but I eat a ton of spicy foods so I might have a bit of immunity to it. Cinnamon sugar makes its presence known as the beer warms through out the entire sip. Well blended yet layered at the same time. A really impressive and unique brew. Perfect balance of sweet and savory however I'd love a touch more heat.

The only beer of this sam adams limited release series that I enjoy. Wish the rest of them turned out like this. (1,014 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Saw a beer in a magazine about beer called the vixen... given the ingredient list of Chili cinnamon and cocoa nibs I knew I had to pict this one up. Samuel Adams has a history of making good chocolate bocks (the christmas one stands out). It doesn't have a thick head but it is an attractive tan. It smells of cocoa and cinnamon... The taste is intriguing.. The strongest tastes are the cocoa and the cinnamon but the finish definitely has the taste of chili. It gives the beer a rich taste that is surprisingly smooth and silky. I have to say this is definitely a nice surprise was almost I wouldn't find a bottle of this one. (627 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark brown, with the barest hint of ruby in the light. A huge mocha head stick around, but not a lot of lacing.

Smell is as advertised, chocolate, roasted malts, with chili and cinnamon undertones that don't overpower.

Taste is rich, luxurious chocolate, and a hint of the spices. Malts are well done.

Feel is medium thickness, with good carbonation. Smooth and very drinkable for such a big beer.

I enjoyed this beer very much, it delivers on the chocolate and spices. Richness is very nice as well. If this was brewed and not released under the BBC label, but a more trendy one, it would be scoring higher.

DOA (623 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

The Vixen opens with a nose that only partially resembles the "Chocolate Chili Bock" that it claims to be, for while the bock aromas are lovely and pronounced, bringing massive yeasty malts with their fig-and-molasses-and-raisin-port aromas, the chocolate notes are pushed slightly to the background, and in fact come across more as chocolate malt than chocolate (though a good thread of milk chocolate is still perceptible). The chili, however, is (somewhat thankfully) almost imperceptible, existing mainly as the promise of paprika at the outermost edges of perception. Still, the aromas in this beer are excellent, being full, round, and bright, and demand attention.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a milk and dark-chocolate laced shot of figs, raisin, vanilla, and port, much as if an aged bottle of tawny port had been placed on the tongue, accompanied by a tiny piece of high-quality Belgian chocolate. The chocolate flavors actually seem to increase as the beer is held on the tongue and the malty sugars die away, adding a slight layer of chalky cacao to the latter flavor profile. The chili is present throughout the mouthful, but thankfully does not overpower the beer, instead adding a light spicy, fiery paprika counter to the sugars and chocolate--much like fine chili threads add a beautiful extra flavor to haute cuisine. The label does say that cinnamon was added to the brew, but it is apparently so subtle (or perhaps so catalytic) that I cannot tease it out from the other flavors. The aftertaste is an alcoholic and very long-lasting whiff of port, fig, and chalky chocolate, and is in many senses quite resemblant of the aftertaste of a good Imperial Stout. Mouthfeel is medium, and carbonation is medium-light to medium.

Overall, while I admit that I wasn't looking forward to this beer--there were too many chances that it could have turned out an overpowered flavor mess--I'm quite surprised at the brew's deliciousness and drinkability. I would have expected something of this quality to come from Dogfish Head, so well crafted is the brew, and based solely on the strengths of The Vixen, am very much looking forward to Sam Adams' other offerings in this latest series. Highly recommended. (2,222 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +18.5%

Drank some of this at a Christmas Eve party at my house with my cousin, my inlaw and myself. We drank The Vixen and a Rogue Chocolate Stout side by side. We realized it was 2 different styles, bock vs. stout, But it was strickly judged on flavor not style, presentation logo art or anything like that. Just 2 chocolate flavored beers. Guess what we all picked the "The Vixen" over the "Rogue". It taste more like a Porter than a Bock. Very complex mixture of flavors: Chocolate, caramel, mild cinamon notes, and faint roasted chili flavor(achiote maybe?). The chocolate flavor was a smooth dark chocolate not extreme bitter like the Rogue. Again both fine chocolate beers (that BTW go great with beef tamales and pasole!) (721 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18%

Poured from a bottle into a Sam Adams Glass.

Appearance: Almost black, dark color with about one finger of brown head, mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Spicy, peppery smells with some cocoa in the background.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Full Bodied, thick, but smooth. Taste of a peppery, chili mix finishing with a hint of real cocoa.

Overall: Excellent brew, reminded me of some of the real Aztec Chocolate drinks I had in the Carribean, not the sugar sweetened chocolate crap we have here in the states, but real spiced chocolate drinks that are not sweetened. (556 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +18%

22oz bomber into a tulip

A: Pours a surprising dark brown with an ominous brunette head that fades to a ring and leaves some lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is a small array of chocolate/cocoa, dark fruits, and a touch of sweet aromatic malt. There's actually a hint of booze in there which is interesting given the brewery.

T: The taste reveals flavors of rich hot chocolate with marshmallows, rum soaked dark fruits, sweet vanilla, and the tiniest hint of chili spice. Very tasty beer that I can't stop drinking.

M: The feel is the best I've ever experience from a regular Bock...immensely creamy and on the fuller side of medium with a nice oily consistency that allows the finish to last for a while.

O: While the chili flavor is almost nowhere to be seen the rest of the ingredients are nicely integrated. This is probably one of the better Bocks I've had although it may not be true to the original style. This is 3x better than their chocolate bock and I'd love to see this one on the shelves as a seasonal if not year round. (1,038 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Sam Adams glass, this was dark black but did allow light to pass through. Decently foamy head.

Aroma - could pick up slight chocolate notes, malty notes, could not detect chili pepper.

This beer took me about three hours to drink, but it was enjoyable and changed flavor substantially as it warmed up. The mouthfeel was thick - I'd almost say "chewy" - without being overbearing. Definite sweetness, some chocolate notes, some almost burnt notes but very slight. I kept looking for the chili pepper and did not get that while drinking the beer. About 20 minutes after finishing I was wondering what the tingly feeling was on my tongue and realized the peppers had come to the party.

Other than the late-arriving pepper, clean aftertaste, slight bitter. I did not get any metallic notes others have found. I'll buy a couple more bottles for sure. (862 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Okay, I am not a S.A. hater BUT I rarely find anything I like by them in my styles.

If you've not tried this beer - you should really do so.

I'm going to compare it to Huhnapu's mainly because of the choco-chile thing. I try all dark, roasty peppery beers. It's a favorite combi of mine and I was NOT impressed by the Hu's enough to try for a second bottle. Add to that the going trade value and - just not worth it. I found this on a trip to my local Market District, loved the label and the description and bought it.

Pours a beautiful dark umber mahogany with a nice heavy weight caramel head.

Aroma is porty. :) Roasty malts hinting at a choco-overtone.

This one is better as it warms. Wonderful REAL chocolate flavor along with cinnamon and yes - some peppery chili heat. Not bitter, but don't let anyone tell you it's sweet. It's cocoa-y. Great full flavor that rolls around on the palette and doesn't go anywhere soon. Wonderful finish. No phenols. Nothing abrupt. Really nice round, roasty nibs and spices. Love it.

This is the best beer I've ever had by S.A. I'd drink it all winter. (1,102 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I guess it's about time to contribute and throw a review back for all the reviews I've read. So here's my first.

I picked up a 22 oz bottle last week just minutes after it arrived at my local store. The Vixen was just under room temp (60deg or so) and poured into a pint glass.

A: The body is black with a hint of reddish brown at the edges againt light. The head is a short, frothy tan with crevases of light brown. Lacing is minimal.

S: The aroma of caramel and chocolate domintates the hint of spice in the nostrils, which at first seems like cinnamon, but closer inspection reveals an almost ground peppercorn odor. Quite nice, actually. The alcohol seems quite well hidden for my nose, especially given the ABV.

T: Flavor is all sweet malt up front, which marries nicely against the intended chocolate smells. A second sip gives way to subtle fruity hops. Patience reveals a mild peppery tingle in the finish, but certainly nothing too aggressive. The secret to this complex beer is keeping your nose in the game for the full glass.

F: Mouthfeel is quite smooth on the tongue, which works well given the malty backbone.

O: I was surprised how much I enjoyed this beer. I liked it enough to grab a few more bottles the next day, with hopes of making it through the holidays. This is the most interesting and flavorful beer I've had from Sam Adams yet. (1,361 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Very dark brown colored beer with a very Tall light brown colored head. Maybe a little to intensely head forming.

Smells strongly of chocolate and chili with some smoke and roasted chili scent. Cinnamon is in this; it completes the scent of Mexican hot chocolate.

Starts out strongly chocolate with the fruity tasty of chili with the barest trace of heat. Semisweet to bittersweet chocolate taste with some cinnamon bark. Just about the most balanced Chile beer I had yet tasted. Little bit nutty with a mild bitterness, tastes far better than I expected.

Mouthfeel is decidedly FULL.

Overall "Damn why did I put this one in the back of the cooler for a week?" Far tastier than I expected, Very recommended. (711 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

A:Very dark chocolate color even for a bock

S: chocolate, malt, coudn't get the cinnamon or chili smells.

T: chocolate, malt, sweet but again could not catch any chili or cinnamon.

M: very creamy bock, even taking a nice long drag off the glass could not pull any chili "heat". Maybe my palette doesn't get this when there are so many other flavors involved.

O: Overall a very interesting drink. Wondering if this idea didn't come from their Longshot contest as it is such an eclectic mix of flavors. 8.5% alcohol leaves you with a nice mellow feel after finishing a single 22 oz.
bottle. Since there was no born on date or suggested freshness date, I am guessing you could age this one nicely and try in a year or so to see how the flavors develop. (756 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance: pours a dark brown color with a short 1/4" head that breaks apart quickly.

Smell: chocolate, some spice, and roasted tones rise easily from the glass.

Taste: nice malty profile with loads of chocolate, some soft spiciness from the chilis, prunes, brown sugar, and a hint of honey and maple. Bitterness is moderate and alcohol is noticeable and mildly warming.

Mouthfeel: medium-heavy in body. Lightly crsip to start, smooth and syrupy at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste here.

Overall: this beer is a slow sipper but full of flavor. As a fan of SA Double Bock, this one to me is just as good in a different way. I like this one a lot. (654 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%

Black bodied beer with a decent crop of brown head. Lace is quite abundant. Aroma is light spice, biscuity malt and dusty chocolate. Flavor is very agreeable. Rich malty body with heavy, but not overdone, chocolate notes. Chili spiciness is an afterthought and spicing is light. Alcohol is nowhere to be seen. This is quite flavorful and very drinkable. (353 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Live Review. Poured from the 1 pint, 6 fl. oz. bottle that I bought at World Wines & Liquor a few weeks ago for $4.99 into a clean, clear pint glass. “Batch No. 1” printed on the bottom back of the label but no observed “best by” date.

A Silky smooth medium brown one inch head over a very dark brown body that glows a great shade of Mahogany in front of direct light. I really like this look and particularly that silky smooth head that sticks to the inside of the glass after repeated sips. 4.5

S Chocolate, dark roast malt and interesting spicing present themselves in various levels with repeated sniffs. The chocolate is of the dark chocolate variety. Interesting and inticing. 4.5

T Wow, a great spectrum of tastes here that I did not necessarily think would all work like they do. The dark roast malt, the chocolate nips and, to a lesser extent, the spicing conspire to make an interesting, complex tasting beer that I really think rivals some of the most famous beers like Founders Breakfast Stout and others like it. 4.5

M It is a really big beer with all of those competing tastes but there is a nice smoothness derived from that smooth head. The mouthfeel and nothing if not interesting and challenging. 4.5

D/O I won’t have any problem finishing the bomber (for the sake of research of course) but this is one big beer and the relatively high ABV of 8.5% means that I would not be reaching for a second one of these. Overall this is a big, interesting, challenging beer whose many tastes compete for your attention and succeeds in nearly every way. Bravo! 3.5 (1,586 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +14.7%

A: pours a dark brown, near black, moderate tan head with ample staying power, leaves a light lace down the glass

S: sweet and malty, roasted malts, a hint of chocolate. I don't detect any chili, small hints of alcohol on the nose

T: rich and powerful, chocolate and roasted malts shine through, a very slight hint of spice and alcohol on the finish. A very pleasant and warming beer

M: medium to thick body, well carbonated

O: a great bock, a nice surprise from Sam Adams and one I will buy more of. (504 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a very dark brown with a 2 1/2 finger tan head that recedes quickly. Not much lacing.

The aroma is of chocolate with dark fruits and a definite whiff of chiles. Fairly malty.

Taste is WAY sweet upfront, but there is a lightly tart aspect as well. Expecially after the sweetness mellows out.. Chocolate, caramel, and the chilis round it out, with just a hint of bitterness in the end.

Very peppery early via the carbonation and the chilis, the warmth reaching all the way to the stomach. Light syrup on the tongue, and drying in the end.

Better than I expected it would be. The first few sips were amazing before it settled down. A good warming brew for a chilly night. Definitely the best of the 4 beers from the SA Small Batch gift pack. (748 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22oz bottle into stout style glass at about 40... warming to mid-50's during review.

Pours with about 2F worth of tightly-wound tan head over a deep brown body with cherry edges. No real lacing... could be the glass.

Full aroma - Rich, sweet chocolate with a healthy dose of cinnamon and touch of pepper heat. Spicey and intriguing.

No doubt the most flavorful Bock I've ever had. The cinnamon is very evident. Chocolate mellows out compared w/the aroma, but is still there. Touch of dark, sweet fruit. Some oats, too.

Mouthfeel was pretty good - had to keep reminding myself that this is a Bock, and not an imperial stout. Comparitively to the style, it's above average. Fairly sharp carbonation.

This one snuck up on me - I was not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Major kudos to Sam Adams for making such a unique/original/fun beer ... I expect this type of thing from DFH, not SA. (899 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: The appearance on this one is very dark, though not as dark as Bitches Brew which is currently around the top of my scale. A nice, strong tan head forms on the pour with plenty of holding power. Around a 32 SRM.

Scent: On the first sniff I get a strong chocolate aroma both from the roasted malts and cocoa nibs. I definitely smell a hint of cinnamon deeper in the aroma with just a kick of heat in the background. The chocolate and the chili reminds me of drinking hot chocolate with cayenne pepper. The smoothness of the chocolate really blends well and mellows out the heat of the pepper.

Taste: The taste is exactly what you would expect from a dark bock. The roasted characters are there up front but dont overpower the beer. You get a nice crisp, clean mouthfeel that you come to expect from a lager. The chocolate flavors are coming in on multiple levels and the chili is there ever so slightly in the background.

Mouthfeel: The mouth is medium bodied with enough carbonation to push the unique flavors through. Not much to say, just a crisp, easy drinking bock.

Overall: This drinks exactly like their Chocolate Bock, go figure. Luckily that was probably my favorite of their releases this winter. You get plenty of the chocolate flavors which are complemented by the roasted malts. Unfortunately the chili doesn’t shine through quite as much as I had hoped. Every time I see a beer that includes chili peppers (I’m looking at you Theobroma) I wish for some actual spice and a bit of heat to shine through. All around a great beer from Sam Adams. I’ll have to try a few more from this new line. (1,624 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

22-oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A - several fingers of medium tan foam atop a pitch black body (red highlights)

S - brown sugar, peppery spice, roast malt

T - caramel sweetness, semi-sweet chocolate, dark fruits, roast malts, pepper, cinnamon; chilies move in with a touch of alcohol for a warm, spicy finish

M - thick syrupy full body, low/medium carbonation

O - The Vixen is a nice bock if you're in the mood for something sweet and slightly spicy. (459 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.6%

Large bottle w/o freshness info, except for telling consumers that this is "Batch No. 1"

Near black and murky. Dark mocha head stays and stays. Thick collar, thick low sheeting ad nice looking fine patterns of lace. Nice looking beer.

Dark chocolate nose, with some snappy cinimmon and also chili in the rear.

Allowed to warm up quite a bit, this one is richly flavorful and viscous in the mouth, loaded with dark and milk chocolate notes. Light spice, and a slight chili note subtly warming up the back of the mouth and throat.

Well done Samuel Adams. Nice winter sipper (576 characters)

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)