Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

The Vixen Chocolate Chili BockThe Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ReelBigwigFish on 10-27-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock Alström Bros
1.64/5  rDev -55.7%

Poured into a sample glass at the release party of the set of beers. Served cool.

Dark root beer body and a tan head. Light chocolate smell. Candy chocolate smell. Where is the chili on this? If it was a chocolate bock it would be okay. As a chocolate chile beer this is way off. Lacks in all departments. Not a bad tasting beer but just deliver as advertised.

2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

This beer reminded me of twizzlers. As soon as I poured it and even tasted it. It reminded me of the one candy that I hated. I usually like every beer I try and give it at least an average rating, but this beer just grossed me out because it reminded me of a licorice flavor. I expected a more chocolaty taste with a bigger burn at the end. I would have loved a stronger chocolate taste and more burn, but no it just gave me a sick feeling like I just ate a pack of licorice. My buddy loved it. I believe a lot of people would love it, but me myself I will never buy it again.

2.31/5  rDev -37.6%

A - super dark in color, with some red highlights where the light can shine through, the pour wells up a finger of chocolate colored head

S - a surprisingly monotonous aroma, chocolate malts, no chili representation at all, not that the roasted chocolate aroma is bad, just expected more layering

T - the chocolate malts dominate the flavor as well as the aroma, the chili is truly hard to discern to me, however it is present as a mild acidity with faint flavors that remind me of chili powder

M&D - sharp and a bit biting on the palate, not sour, just a strong acid profile, roasted chocolate malts balance this acid sufficiently, but not enough to make this beer particularly inviting

2.43/5  rDev -34.3%

This beer kind of disappointed me. When I read the label to it, I thought in my head it was going to be a different and great beer. Then, when I tasted it, I was saddened.

Appearance: Dark color, with little light through

Smell: Pretty goos smell, definitely get a small hint of chili in it.

Taste: Mostly chocolate malt. There is no chili taste whatsoever. I was expecting atleast a little bit of heat, and there was none at all.

Mouthfeel: Very light and smooth, Not much taste to it.

Overall: A beer that I suppose you should try if you like more maltier(spelling) beers. Don't expect much heat, because there is none. For a darker beer it was good, but for the description...needs some updating.

2.43/5  rDev -34.3%

Overall: I had the "fun" of sampling The Vixen from three glasses (Chimay glass, Duvel glass, and Harpoon 100 Barrel series glass) and what I can say is this: drink this from the widest rimmed glass you own unless you love drinking Essence of Barbecue.

Appearance: So deep brown that it's almost black. Pours a one-finger head that fades faster than, well, a vixen's whisper. Pour lace that leaves little to the imagination.

Smell: Prunes; soy; malt; teriyaki; chocolate; raisins; baby oil.

Taste: Chili and chocolate meet to make a wonderful marinate for your dinner, but for your beer? Not a great move. Notes of burnt caramel and overwhelming prune juice play a cruel game with your taste buds. I can't find where the chili lies.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel but with a thick, burning aftertaste.

2.46/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Brown and moderate tan head with okay retention. Floral sweet aroma. Light flavors of chocolate and chili finishing with a chocolate linger. Robust but tacky mouthfeel and finishing bite.

Easy going beer that in true Samuel Adams style, despite the brewing ingredients, remains a subtle beer. Worse, even the subtlety gets lost after a while end up with a lightly chocolate bock. Most of all, the chili peel tannins are present throughout.

2.53/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep brown. Head is dirty cream. Bubbly with some lacing. Carbonation is on the high side. Clear...are we surprised?

Smell: Lots of chocolate. Some grassy notes. Faintest hint of chili on the nose. Cocoa and milk chocolate. Touch of minerality as well. A slight vegetable edge.

Taste: Burnt malts coupled with some pronounced cocoa and milk chocolate notes. Chili runs as a vegetable and not as spice. Chocolate malts with a slight chili (read vegetable) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than expected. Carbonation runs a touch high for the style.

Overall: A flop. Flavors are almost there, but fall short in the long run. No depth and the vegetable aftertaste is distracting at best.

2.72/5  rDev -26.5%

Look: Very dark brown in color not quite black with a 1 inch head and good retention with no lace left behind

Smell: Cocoa nibs upfront with a weird chili note and a bit metallic

Taste: Upfront is a fair amount of chocolate but that same damn metallic note shows up after the chocolate and makes the beer almost undrinkable especially when the beer warms. Oh and there is no chili flavor here at all

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation and just a hint of heat

Overall: When you compare this to say Hunaphu it gets ran over by a bus. The flavor could have been so much better but it just falls tremendously short. Fail Sam Adams Fail

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

A: Pours dark brown with three fingers of khaki head that fades into a thin ring with no lacing.

S: Sweet cocoa dominates the nose with some vanilla and caramel notes. There are also faint bubblegum and candy sugar-like aromas.

T: Sweet cocoa again with a strong licorice-like flavor. There are some bubblegum flavors that follow with just a hint of cayenne or other chili flavors, though it’s very subtle.

M: Medium body with lowish carbonation, this beer is a little watery.

O: Not a terribly impressive beer. The chocolate and chili are both lacking, which combined with a watery body and a strong licorice flavor make for a disappointment.

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a very dark brown color with one finger of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Some spotty lacing left on the glass and very little head retention.

Aromas begin with roasted malts, cocoa, bitter chocolate, sweet chocolate and very slight sweet fruit/spices. Nice roasty and chocolatey nose; I'm liking it so far.

The taste did not follow the nose unfortunately. It begins with roasted malts, sweet chocolate, bitter chocolate and coffee. Some light spice and chili in the aftertaste, but not too much. Very unbalanced actually and a huge step down from the nose in my opinion. The chocolate malts dominate the flavor and the chili is truly hard to discern to me, however it is present as a mild acidity with faint flavors that remind me of chili powder. Booze becomes more evident as it warms which is unfortunate.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with pretty light carbonation. A little more carbonated than the new Double IPA Third Voyage, but still would have liked a little more carbonation.

Overall, I liked the nose a lot and the chili and spice does come through in the taste as I assume they were looking for. This is the second new Sam Adams beer I've had now that has had very low carbonation, which surprised me. A huge step down from new DIPA. 1 out of 2 is not bad so far. Still two more of these to try...

2.8/5  rDev -24.3%

1 pint .6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a Uinta pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are average.

Served refrigerator cold. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a three finger khaki head of fair cream, decent thickness, and above average retention. Colour is a dark nontransparent black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Not particularly vibrant, but it's generally appealing.

Sm: Chocolate, light chili pepper, dark malts, background light floral hops, and chocolate malts. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Dark malts, cream, chocolate, chili pepper, and chocolate malt. Balance is okay. Build is decent, but inadequate for the style. Neither complex nor subtle. I expect better. Chocolate malts are nice. The rest is mundane. A strange bock. No yeast or alcohol come through.

Mf: Thickness is off. Carbonation is good. Smooth and wet. Moderate on the palate.

Dr: Drinkable but boring and bland. It offers little. I wouldn't get it again. A disappointment from Sam Adams.

2.89/5  rDev -21.9%

I picked this up out of an overall general excitement due to new packaging and potential for a somewhat innovative beer. Pours a very dark brown with a small head that recedes without lacing.

The smell is faint as I pick up a little grain and bitter chocolate but very little. The taste is steely when cold but as the beer warms up faint chocolate, grain and cinnamon comes to the palate. The only notice of 'chilies' in this beer is warmth in my esophagus and stomach as my personal reaction to spicy food.

Drinks as a bland, boozy, bock. I hope the other two released alongside this are better.

2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from the bottle, the bock was an attractive shade of brown which would seem appropriate for the chocolate flavor. The aroma was a mild milk choocolate, not the least overpowering but pleasant.

The initial taste seemed to be that of chocolate sodas such as YooHoo or Chocola. A mild level of carbonation was combined with a thin texture. The aftertaste was where the chili became apparent. Rather than feeling the spiciness in the mouth, it created a burning sensation in the back of the throat. Fellow drinkers also noticed this phenomenon.

The chili flavor would have been more interesting if it were pair with the chocolate. Instead, this bock is like a chocolate soft drink that leaves a mild burning in the throat.

2.99/5  rDev -19.2%

Out of the bomber…

A- It’s a dark mahogany brown tone with a big tan head…I poured it pretty quickly hoping to open it up.

S- Smelled of cocoa powder and sweet, burnt sugar, and a bit of cinnamon with the slightest hint of soy. No pepper on the nose for me.

T- Taste is lacking. I was really hoping for some chili pepper, but it wasn’t there. It’s a stretch, but I got a very slight warmth on the way down…probably more alcohol than chili. Cocoa is there. This could have been so much better.

M- A little more than light bodied. Way thinner than expected.

D- This is fairly drinkable, but my expectations were such that I had trouble polishing it off as I expected. Great idea, but flavors need to be much bolder.

I won't rate this beer good or bad, but just average and kind of bland.

Which is a real shame, since it could have been so much more multi-dimensional with all the flavors this beer could have had.
Instead it fell on its face.

I bought this beer expecting to either love it or hate it but not hate it because it was bad, hate it because I just didn't care for the craziness the brewer was trying to achieve. Either way, I was hoping it would stir some sort of emotion out of me. Instead, it stirred about as much emotion as a bud light.

I say skip past this one.

3.01/5  rDev -18.6%

Split a bottle with Stopper.
Poured at room temp into a snifter. The beer pours a dark cola brown color with some garnet highlights on edges.
Minimal frothy beige head foams up and fades to a sturdy edge layer.
Aroma is dark chocolate and roasted malt. no pepper heat is detected and the nose is very mild overall.
First sip reveals an average body with very gentle rolling carbonation. Texture is sillky smooth.
Flavor is some sweet chocolate and a bit of roasted malt. I do get a little tingly warmth that could be chilli pepper, but no cinnamon anywhere. Hops and booze are also absent from the flavor profile. Flavor is not very robust in similar fashion to the nose. A decent beer, but I was hoping for more complex and bold flavors, this seems a little washed out and bland. An introductory chocolate/chilli beer? A little disappointed am I.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

From notes taken during a tasting with a friend.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a nice deep brown almost black with one finger mocha head that fades to leave a light halo.

S - Sweet, light malts and dark fruit with very light chocolate. There isnt much spice at all on the nose.

T - WAY too sweet for my liking. There is some light roast and chocolate . The spice is nice and upfront, which is kinda too bad.

M - A bit too sweet, kinda heavy and syrupy.

O - Beer is okay. Really wouldnt buy it again, way to sweet to be a good bock.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color. The head is a finger high, with a densely textured mocha shade. Retention is pretty good (though not the best in this style), while the creamy softness leaves behind a bit of lacing. (4)

Smell: It's mostly a bock first, with the adjuncts playing a secondary role. I'm picking up plenty of caramel, with just a kiss of stewed fruits. If I concentrate, then I do pick up some nice chili notes; they're still too mild for my personal taste. The nose isn't flawed, it's just quite dull. (3)

Taste: The flavor profile (thankfully) is far bolder. Still, I'm a little disappointed in how light the chocolate notes are. Its base, though, is loaded with rich caramel malts and lesser fruitiness. I start picking up chocolate and chiles on the back end, but only slightly. The exact same thing I said about the aroma rings true down on the taste buds: not flawed, it's just quite dull. (3)

Mouthfeel: Full and creamy at first. Post-swallow, however, it becomes a hair prickly, and even somewhat dry. Carbonation is well concealed by the thickness of the texture. It's not super drinkable, but it's not a chore, either. (3)

Overall: Rather blah in general. Its blah-ness is doubly disappointing given its relative size - Sam Adams could have gone farther with the chocolate (and even the chili) notes than they did. On the plus side, there's nothing wrong with it at all. It's only flaw is its blandness, but it's a big one to be fair. (3)

3.05/5: Y'know, I remember this one being better...

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

Batch 1. 22oz bottle.

Near-black body with an impressive brownish head. No real lacing but it sort of coats the glass going down.

Aroma of chili pepper and some chocolate notes. Smells sweet.

Flavor is unimpressive. Some slight chocolate with a cinnamon finish. Not much character or depth from the chocolate, the chili, or the bock.

Mouthfeel is very thin but slightly creamy. Carbonation seems fine.

Overall not impressed. Not very much chili, chocolate, or bock going on here.

3.08/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Pours a jet black with a creamy tan head.

S: Aromas of chiles, chocolate, cinnamon, and caramel dominate the nose.

T: Notes of chiles, cinnamon, dark chocolate, caramel, and heavy cream wash across the palate. The finish is sweet and spicy with robust notes of chiles and chocolate.

M: Medium-to-full in body, smooth, and creamy. Carbonation is gentle compared to many other lagers.

O: I wanted to like this, but really just couldn't. To me, this was like drinking a particularly large bottle of mole poblano. The chocolate and cinnamon aromas and flavors are overpowering, causing the caramel sweetness I typically associate with good bockbiers to take a backseat. If you really like chocolate and cinnamon, this may work for you, but for me, this was just too much.

3.09/5  rDev -16.5%

A-very dark brown with a nice tan head

S-creamy chocolate with just a tint of red pepper, not spicy though. strong scent

T-comes in with a sweet taste of dark chocolate with just a small slight hint of chili pepper. slight roasted after-taste. not strong taste at all. fairly sweet and sticky.

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish. sticky.

O-Chocolate Chili Bock...the name sounds so intriguing. It has so much potential. However, this was sure a let down. I know Samuel Adams every once in awhile pleases me but most often i'm disappointed so i shouldn't have got my hopes up for this either. they should basically just leave the word Chili out of the name, it adds nothing to the beer and is probably just used to trick people in to drinking it. over priced as well.

3.13/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from bomber bottle into a pint glass. $5.99 purchase price.

Pours dark black with 1/4 inch of tan foam. Dark chocolate coffee smell, with a peppery undertone. Dark malty taste, smooth which fades into jalapeno/pepper heat. Light fire there but sits and smolders. I guess this kind of works, but for me a novelty - could not see doing more than tasting this.

As beer warms and progresses, the chilis get to me. Heartburn alert. The remainder is dumped.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Appearance: It is being served chilled in my Strong Bow tumbler. The bottle art depicts a hand drawn, voluptuous brunette holding a rose between her full lips. The ingredients include chilies from Mexico, Cocoa nibs from Ecuador and Cinnamon from Southeast Asia, a beer brought together from around the globe. A hard pour generates a charcoal black color with a massive three finger that sits on top like pumice.

Smell: It is roasty and smoky almost like a rauch beer. There are hints of spicy chilies in the background and some hops to balance things out. I do not detect the cinnamon.

Taste: The head continues to sit on top like oil on water so I have no choice but to sample that first. It actually carries some of the heat from the chilies! The beer itself is smooth and chocolaty. There is a fine bittersweet chocolate presence with a solid hop backbone. The cinnamon provides a little flavor but there is no chili heat! With each sip, I am not getting the Yin Yang of spicy-sweet I was hoping for. They could have saved the money on the chilies and stuck with a flavorful bock but c’est la vie.

The Vixen is a good chocolate bock but needs a little improvement in the cloying piquant flavor.

3.15/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass and the dark clear brown brew produced a nice 1 1/2 fingers medium caramel colored head that dwindled semi slowly to cover the beer with a fine layer of small bubbles. Ringed lacing around the glass.

The smell is dark malts and sweet chocolate. Heavy dark malts are forward on the tongue followed by bitter chocolate. Perhaps it's the chili bringing on the bitterness but there is no chili flavor to speak of nor is there any chili in the throat. I have to admit that although I am not a chili head, I do consume some pretty HOT hot sauces (Busha Brown's Puka Sauce, Bailey Farms Chocolate Habanero Sauce, dabs of Bailey Farms Bhut Jolokia Hot Sauce, ect.) so it takes a bit more to peak my chili pepper interest.

To me this is more of a Stout than a Bock, chocolate nibs and "chili" or no chocolate nibs and "chilis". It has medium mouthfeel and carbination which is really about the only plus I can give this brew. Although it's different, it's much the same as Sammy Adams Chocolate Bock.

Perhaps with cellering this brew would come forward and actually be a Chocolate Chili Bock, but the one I am consuming now misses that mark.

3.16/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Black, opaque. Nice looking two finger, cream colored head.

S: Subtle roasted malt profile, sweetness is evident here. Pulling a little chocolate, though traces of chili are not to be found in the nose. Not bad.

T: Crisp lager bite, milk chocolate sweetness mid sip. Now getting a touch of spice from the chili, but its subtle enough that I just might be imagining it. I would like to get more flavor and more heat from the chili component. Finish could be cleaner, I actually got a bite of alcohol I wasn't expecting as well.

M: Medium in body, right on for the style.

O: Not a bad beer, but could have been excellent.

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)