The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

The Vixen Chocolate Chili BockThe Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  8.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: ReelBigwigFish on 10-27-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock Alström Bros

1.64/5  rDev -55.3%

Poured into a sample glass at the release party of the set of beers. Served cool.

Dark root beer body and a tan head. Light chocolate smell. Candy chocolate smell. Where is the chili on this? If it was a chocolate bock it would be okay. As a chocolate chile beer this is way off. Lacks in all departments. Not a bad tasting beer but just deliver as advertised.

1.96/5  rDev -46.6%

2.2/5  rDev -40.1%

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

This beer reminded me of twizzlers. As soon as I poured it and even tasted it. It reminded me of the one candy that I hated. I usually like every beer I try and give it at least an average rating, but this beer just grossed me out because it reminded me of a licorice flavor. I expected a more chocolaty taste with a bigger burn at the end. I would have loved a stronger chocolate taste and more burn, but no it just gave me a sick feeling like I just ate a pack of licorice. My buddy loved it. I believe a lot of people would love it, but me myself I will never buy it again.

2.31/5  rDev -37.1%

A - super dark in color, with some red highlights where the light can shine through, the pour wells up a finger of chocolate colored head

S - a surprisingly monotonous aroma, chocolate malts, no chili representation at all, not that the roasted chocolate aroma is bad, just expected more layering

T - the chocolate malts dominate the flavor as well as the aroma, the chili is truly hard to discern to me, however it is present as a mild acidity with faint flavors that remind me of chili powder

M&D - sharp and a bit biting on the palate, not sour, just a strong acid profile, roasted chocolate malts balance this acid sufficiently, but not enough to make this beer particularly inviting

2.43/5  rDev -33.8%

This beer kind of disappointed me. When I read the label to it, I thought in my head it was going to be a different and great beer. Then, when I tasted it, I was saddened.

Appearance: Dark color, with little light through

Smell: Pretty goos smell, definitely get a small hint of chili in it.

Taste: Mostly chocolate malt. There is no chili taste whatsoever. I was expecting atleast a little bit of heat, and there was none at all.

Mouthfeel: Very light and smooth, Not much taste to it.

Overall: A beer that I suppose you should try if you like more maltier(spelling) beers. Don't expect much heat, because there is none. For a darker beer it was good, but for the description...needs some updating.

2.43/5  rDev -33.8%

Overall: I had the "fun" of sampling The Vixen from three glasses (Chimay glass, Duvel glass, and Harpoon 100 Barrel series glass) and what I can say is this: drink this from the widest rimmed glass you own unless you love drinking Essence of Barbecue.

Appearance: So deep brown that it's almost black. Pours a one-finger head that fades faster than, well, a vixen's whisper. Pour lace that leaves little to the imagination.

Smell: Prunes; soy; malt; teriyaki; chocolate; raisins; baby oil.

Taste: Chili and chocolate meet to make a wonderful marinate for your dinner, but for your beer? Not a great move. Notes of burnt caramel and overwhelming prune juice play a cruel game with your taste buds. I can't find where the chili lies.

Mouthfeel: Average mouthfeel but with a thick, burning aftertaste.

2.46/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Brown and moderate tan head with okay retention. Floral sweet aroma. Light flavors of chocolate and chili finishing with a chocolate linger. Robust but tacky mouthfeel and finishing bite.

Easy going beer that in true Samuel Adams style, despite the brewing ingredients, remains a subtle beer. Worse, even the subtlety gets lost after a while end up with a lightly chocolate bock. Most of all, the chili peel tannins are present throughout.

2.53/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Deep brown. Head is dirty cream. Bubbly with some lacing. Carbonation is on the high side. Clear...are we surprised?

Smell: Lots of chocolate. Some grassy notes. Faintest hint of chili on the nose. Cocoa and milk chocolate. Touch of minerality as well. A slight vegetable edge.

Taste: Burnt malts coupled with some pronounced cocoa and milk chocolate notes. Chili runs as a vegetable and not as spice. Chocolate malts with a slight chili (read vegetable) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than expected. Carbonation runs a touch high for the style.

Overall: A flop. Flavors are almost there, but fall short in the long run. No depth and the vegetable aftertaste is distracting at best.

2.72/5  rDev -25.9%

Look: Very dark brown in color not quite black with a 1 inch head and good retention with no lace left behind

Smell: Cocoa nibs upfront with a weird chili note and a bit metallic

Taste: Upfront is a fair amount of chocolate but that same damn metallic note shows up after the chocolate and makes the beer almost undrinkable especially when the beer warms. Oh and there is no chili flavor here at all

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation and just a hint of heat

Overall: When you compare this to say Hunaphu it gets ran over by a bus. The flavor could have been so much better but it just falls tremendously short. Fail Sam Adams Fail

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)