The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

The Vixen Chocolate Chili BockThe Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Bock |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ReelBigwigFish on 10-27-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 476-500 | 501-525 | 526-550  | next › last »
3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

22oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - very dark brown with a khaki colored head that thinned out but still left bits of lacing behind.

S - roasted coffee with a hint of cocoa.

T - some chocolate upfront and then a burnt coffee flavor with the chili and alcohol warming coming in at the finish.

F - medium bodied with some creaminess to it.

O - a unique tasting bock that's worth a try.

JoeyBeerBelly, Nov 09, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured into a 13 oz tulip glass. Pours a dark mahogany, with a nice two inch sticky head, we have lacing, I repeat tons of beautiful lacing. Smell chocolate, dark fruits, burnt coffee, and a hint of spicy pepper. Taste is all that, just the slightest bit of spice in the finish. Body is big, but very approachable for the abv. Perfect carbonation. I am so surprised how much I like this beer. The only other beer with peppers I have had, was Rogues and not even close to good. Don't judge a book by the cover. Very nice brew.

SawDog505, Nov 09, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at Ricks in Alexandria for $5.99. Batch 1, poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tulip.

a - Pours a very dark brown color with one finger of tan head and moderate carbonation evident. Some spotty lacing left on the glass and very little head retention.

s - Smells of roasted malts, cocoa, bitter chocolate, sweet chocolate, and very slight sweet fruit/spices. Nice roasty and chocolatey nose; I'm liking it.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, sweet chocolate, bitter chocolate and coffee, and vanilla. Some light spice and chili in aftertaste, but not too much. Nice, but a step down from the nose in my opinion.

m - Medium body and pretty light carbonation. A little more carbonated than the new Double IPA Third Voyage, but still would have liked a little more carbonation.

o - Overall a pretty nice bock. I liked the nose a lot and the chili and spice does come through in the taste as I assume they were looking for. This is the second new Sam Adams beer I've had now that has had very low carbonation, which surprised me. Worth checking out.

mdfb79, Nov 09, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a solid dark brown with the faintest of ruby highlights when held to light, huge tan head shows great retention and moderate lace. Smells mostly of chocolate and alcohol with faint hints of caramel, licorice and a faint spicy earthy tone. I would never guess form the aroma there were chili's in here. Taste is moderately malty and sweet. Lots of chocolate and caramel flavors up front. Slight melanoid and toffee type flavors midway with a warming earthy spice that lingers long into the finish. Medium to thick body, moderate level of carbonation, sweet sticky chocolate mouthfeel. I really enjoyed this brew. The chocolate is there, the bock is there, the peppers provide some nice flavors and subtle heat. Great Job Sam Adams.

johnnnniee, Nov 08, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a very deep red, almost brown/black with a nice 2 fingers worth of tan head that has decent retention

S: Light chocolate, some chilis, malts, cinnamon, and definite noble hop notes as well. Not too much going on here, though

T: Get the chocolate and malts the most, along with a lingering spice note from the hops, cinnamon, and chili. Alcohol hidden very well

M: Medium-full bodied with low-moderate carbonation. Nice and smooth

O: An interesting take on their regular chocolate bock. The chilis don't come out too much, even as it warms. The chocolate is a bit subdued compared to the regular, though. A bit more mellow, even with the higher abv. I like it

BEERMILER12, Nov 08, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured a 2" chocolate malt hued head with pretty good lasting power. Body is dark as coffee. Smells of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Taste is high on cocoa, roasted malts, and coffee. I was surprised the chili was so understated. It sort of built as a subtle burn the further I got through it. All in all this is a very tasty dessert-style beer, but I guess I expected more chili since it's on the label.

MoreThanWine, Nov 08, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -40.5%

This beer reminded me of twizzlers. As soon as I poured it and even tasted it. It reminded me of the one candy that I hated. I usually like every beer I try and give it at least an average rating, but this beer just grossed me out because it reminded me of a licorice flavor. I expected a more chocolaty taste with a bigger burn at the end. I would have loved a stronger chocolate taste and more burn, but no it just gave me a sick feeling like I just ate a pack of licorice. My buddy loved it. I believe a lot of people would love it, but me myself I will never buy it again.

smxr88, Nov 08, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Big creamy 1+ finger head fades semi slowly with nice lacing.

Nose powdered chocolate, bakers choc, bit of cinnamon, light chili powder, nice caramel, creamy malts, light spices and light milk chocolate.

Taste starts with malts again, dark creamy malts, caramel, bakers and powdered choc, then herbal earthy almost hedgerow like hops with a light bitterness, thick and creamy, lush, light cinnamon and chili powder, hint of spices, light dark wheat bock like and hint of dark fruits. Finishes chalky, powdered choc, light bock esters, biter and light salty, little syrupy and caramel, molasses, etc, light lingering cinnamon and chili.

Mouth is a med bodied bit thicker and luscious, creamy, drier finish.

Overall not bad, light but I wouldn't expect SA to go crazy as they have a huge med taste fan base.

jlindros, Nov 08, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Smooth and rich, very dark appearance with a thin tan laced head. Roasted malt, cocoa nibs with a sweet chocolate spicey aftertaste. There is a slight peppery warmth to it when the beer is warmed and sitting for a while. You get more of it when it is warmer rather than straight out of the cooler. A pretty unique, intriguing beer. I love anything different than the norm, and this was a decent attempt at it.

skibumma70, Nov 08, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -10%

" I take a piece of paper, make a heart and send it to you. And I wanna cut a paper, I wanna scream and shout so don't cut me out 'cause vixen baby you're alright." Millencolin,The Vixen

Black with a Georgia clay head. My girlfriend had glass bottom retention on her glass and I had nothing. Alas, everyone likes her better, even beer.

Smells like chili...and chocolate. Tastes like earthy Hershey's chocolate syrup with a little bit o' peppery heat. The standout of this beer is the smooth mouthfeel.

Like most Sam Adams beers the taste and aroma are dead on, they're just not strong enough. I had hoped the the small batch series would be different but I guess you can't teach old brewers new tricks.

donkeyrunner, Nov 08, 2011
3.8/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours near-black with reddish highlights, thin cap of khaki froth, gone quickly. Scent is muted and gives off notes of cocoa powder, roasted malt, faint spice and faint dark fruit. Taste leads with a chocolate milk like taste, faint woodsy spicing and faint hint at fruit... not getting the chili. Beer is fuller side of medium body, smooth and uber dry (like sucking on a piece of lumber). Decent beer, a touch dry and lacking in complexity.

rfgetz, Nov 07, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

bomber shared with my gf.
deschutes snifter

a - pours an opaque, deep, dark brown. forms a dense, two finger, light brown head that slowly retreats to a thin film. leaves long legs of lacing in the glass.

s - chocolate and roasted malt with faint grassy hops.

t - big chocolate flavor throughout. some roasted malt, notes of molasses, and slightly herbal hop character. finishes slightly dry with a nice warming spiciness that is more subdued than i was expecting.

m - lighter side of medium with the right amount of carbonation.

o - a pretty solid beer all around. i quite enjoyed this one. probably couldn't drink more than a bomber at a time though. worth seeking out in my opinion.

divineaudio, Nov 07, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a one-fingered light tan head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Black with faint ruby highlights. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Light chocolate nose and flavor is almost sweet chocolate with cinnamon, no chili. $5.99 for a 22oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

jdhilt, Nov 06, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +13%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a very dark brown, nearing black. Has a tan head that is thick and fluffy. Nice patchy lacing remains along with a nice patchy island. Good looking brew.

Brews smells of sweet chocolate malts and cinnamon. Roasted notes there as well. Can pick up even some peppery notes as well. Good smelling brew.

Brew is very unique; peppery carbonation and smooth full bodied middle. The end is spiced and somewhat drying. Can taste chocolate and then quickly turns to sweet cinnamon and then finishes up with some hop like spice. The chilies and cinnamon are nicely done here. Not overdone at all and make this beer very interesting. The chilies really finish out the end of each sip nicely. Some really nice roasted malts in here as well. Lots of good stuff going on in this one. Very interesting stuff here. A very unique brew. The higher abv is barely noticed. Very good taste and mouthfeel here.

Wow, very happy to see this one come from Sam Adams. A great interesting brew here. This brew is very good tasting, full bodied and full of great character. A great spin on the style. Great stuff here.

magine, Nov 06, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a deep brown color with a short beige head that settles into a light cap.

The aroma is quite sweet. There is caramel and some dark fruit. Subtle chocolate and cinnamon notes.

The taste is of a light meaty malt with noticable flavor from the chocolate nibs. The cinnamon is quite light and only adds a ghost like presence. There is some toast and wood characteristics as well. I don't really pick up much pepper though. This is a much better bock base than the SA chocolate bock. Doesn't taste artifical.

The feel is moderate with soft to tingly carbonation. Sweet on the palate but has some toasted bitterness. A bit sticky in the end.

A decent bock. Appropriate chocolate flavor and subtle spice. Could use a touch more heat from the peppers.

Gmann, Nov 05, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a Victory tulip with an average head, khacki in color that leaves a nice receding lacing on the glass. Dark garnet liquid with an undistinguished nose. Nice smooth mouthfeel with notes of cinnamon and bitter chocolate...the chili isn't really noticable at all. Nice bitter finish, hoppy/chocolatey. Nice but I expected just a bit more from this one.

beerluvr, Nov 05, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Poured into a New Belgium goblet. Beer itself is a very very dark brown color, dark enough to appear a glossy black in the glass. Forms a very large, very fizzy, deep tan head that quickly and noisily fizzes away to not even the slightest bit of surface coating. No lacing.

S: The aroma is not nearly as strong as would have expected it to be. A good strong whiff reveals primarily chocolate, with some notes of ancho and pasilla. Caramel and deeply roasted malts also make an appearance.

T: Flavor is fairly sweet. Chocolate dominates, though there is also caramel, raisin, and some ancho. Chocolate milk. There is a mild spicy-pepper kick on the beginning of the finish before drying out with some faint woody cinnamon. Quite interesting.

M: The lighter side of heavy with a very smooth, velvety mouthfeel to it. A little bit of spice from the peppers. Lower carbonation.

O: I was a little nervous about this beer. The label made it sound like there was a lot going on, maybe too much, but damn, this is another surprise from SA. I had their DIPA yesterday and was really impressed with that and now another one that just doesn't fit the SA blueprint. Complex and rather tasty. Smooth and drinkable.

Florida9, Nov 05, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +18.4%

I guess it's about time to contribute and throw a review back for all the reviews I've read. So here's my first.

I picked up a 22 oz bottle last week just minutes after it arrived at my local store. The Vixen was just under room temp (60deg or so) and poured into a pint glass.

A: The body is black with a hint of reddish brown at the edges againt light. The head is a short, frothy tan with crevases of light brown. Lacing is minimal.

S: The aroma of caramel and chocolate domintates the hint of spice in the nostrils, which at first seems like cinnamon, but closer inspection reveals an almost ground peppercorn odor. Quite nice, actually. The alcohol seems quite well hidden for my nose, especially given the ABV.

T: Flavor is all sweet malt up front, which marries nicely against the intended chocolate smells. A second sip gives way to subtle fruity hops. Patience reveals a mild peppery tingle in the finish, but certainly nothing too aggressive. The secret to this complex beer is keeping your nose in the game for the full glass.

F: Mouthfeel is quite smooth on the tongue, which works well given the malty backbone.

O: I was surprised how much I enjoyed this beer. I liked it enough to grab a few more bottles the next day, with hopes of making it through the holidays. This is the most interesting and flavorful beer I've had from Sam Adams yet.

datalager, Nov 04, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +5.4%

This is the most intriguing to me out of the series, as I somewhat enjoy the chocolate bock and like how chili peppers have mixed with chocolate in other beers, but never a bock.

a surprisingly dark black for a bock with a sizable latte colored head that sticks around a while and leaves just a bit of lacing.

definitely get the chilis tingling my nose hairs, but not much chocolate. a bit as it warms up, but it seems to be strongest in the typical bock aromas of caramel, toffee, and some dark fruits as well.

pretty mild malty flavors of caramel. a touch of bitter chocolate comes through before the chili kick comes through right before the finish, which remains spicy for a bit then goes caramelly sweet.

light, velvety mouthfeel with a chili tingle that doesn't linger too long due to the bock malt sweetness.

I like it. don't love it. the 8.5% isn't detectable, which is good, but this is a "safe" chili beer. I love that they are mixing things up, and this could be great with a bit more cocoa/chili flavors to make it stand out a bit more.

silentjay, Nov 03, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

Overall a nice beer here.

It pours a dark chocolate color with a thin wispy head. Smell and taste are close with slight chocolate but yet not much of the chili flavor.

The mouthfeel is nice you can first pick up a slight heat of the chilis but not bad.

Overall not a bad beer at all and good to see some different stuff from sam adams.

Casey10, Nov 03, 2011
4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

One inch light tan head on a dark brown beer. Decent head retention and clumpy lacing.

Subtle, subtle pepper aroma.

Smooth chocolate taste at the forefront then just enough chili pepper burn at the end to know its there. Well hidden alcohol.

Smooth medium mouthfeel, lower end of carbonationbut it works.

Definitely worth the pick up at $6. Recommended to chili beer fans or to anyone who has a bad experience with chili beers. This one pulls it off.

Duff27, Oct 30, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -2.7%

Presentation: Bomber bottle picked up at a local store and served slightly chilled into a pint glass.

Appearance: Full brown, almost black color with a nice beige, big head. Ample carbonation.

Aroma: Caramel, chocolate and some alcohol presence. Malty notes are pretty prominent too. The spice elements seem to feel lighter than the bock notes from the smell.

Taste: Malty notes of caramel and bread are tempered with cocoa nibs. I get a bit of cinnamon, but the promised chili is light. More smokey than spicy, but grows over time. Alcohol is a bit more subdued than the nose, but noticable.

Mouthfeel: Nice full feel, medium body with nice carbonation.

Overall, a pretty decent beer for the price. I really wish the chili heat and the cocoa nibs played a bigger part though. I probably won't buy again, but it wasn't a bad purchase.

Gosox8787, Oct 29, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked this one up tonight at the COOP ... shared it with Inflatablechair... We were both pretty impressed with it, though I question the use of spices and flavorings in lager beers... this is where I want the malt and hops to shine in harmony.

Poured into my HotD goblet... 1" tannish head.. deeeep dark brown.. light only gets through around the stem of the glass.

Nose is light cocoa and even less cinnamon, but the cinnamon adds a perceived sweetness that sorta brings out something that I pick out as dried cherries... Sam did not get the fruits... he is wrong :-) Not much in the way of "chili", but what I do get is something that is a little smokey with some background heat.

Flavor shows all the good bones of a traditional bockbier... but again, the cocoa and cinnamon are a distraction for me... The chili starts to build with subsequent sips.. a bit of burning in the esophagus... Great mouthfeel and carbonation.

I enjoyed this one... for $6, I may buy it again while it is on shelves, but I doubt it will age well.

4/4/3/5/4.5/3.5

JohnGalt1, Oct 29, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Opened this brew after work.

American Bomber style bottle. 22oz.

Poured into my glass a deep coffee brown/blackish. Head forms quick after the pour, however only stays for a minute. Good lace.

Aromas of chocolate, burnt wood... smoke. Not so much of chili, but some linger of the cinnamon.

The taste is chocolate. Not too sweet though. The Bock style really does bring the body of this beer down a lot vs a Chocolate Stout or Porter. This quality is rare though, and is proven worthy.

Overall this was a good beer. I hope Sam Adams re-releases it again, and also that they keep up the work inventing new stuff.

Good time, Cheers.

StevenBilodeau, Oct 29, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -1.9%

100th review! First milestone.
Pored into .5L mug.

A: thick dark brown with frothy tan head. Like coca cola but creamier.

S: sweet toffee, chcolate, cinnamon, clove, little bit of alcohol and some vanilla.

T: dark chocolate, toasty malt, sweet toffee, some spice, a bit of booziness. Fruity alcohol mixing with a drier finish. there's a minor chili flavor as it warms, with all the other flavors its more like chipotle.

M: full body, low-medium carbonation, has sort of an oily mouthfeel.

O: pretty different, glad to see Sam Adams branching out a bit more. So far the Tasman is my favorite in the bunch.

ReelBigwigFish, Oct 27, 2011
« first ‹ prev | 476-500 | 501-525 | 526-550  | next › last »
The Vixen Chocolate Chili Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)