Samuel Adams Alpine Spring - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Alpine SpringSamuel Adams Alpine Spring

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Borne of our brewers’ many trips to Germany, Alpine Spring features a unique blend of lager attributes: the balanced maltiness and hoppiness of a Helles, the smoothness and slightly higher alcohol of a traditional spring bock, and the unfiltered appearance of a Kellerbier. The beer is brewed with Noble Tettnang hops to add a unique, bright orange-citrusy aroma and flavor.

(Beer added by: BDIMike on 12-22-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Alpine Spring Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

355ml bottle, once again straight to us via the good importers from...the UK and Sweden?

This beer pours a moderately cloudy, yet bright, medium golden straw colour, with one finger of foamy, caked off-white head, which settles in good time, leaving but a few upswells of rocky promontory lace around the glass.

It smells of somewhat acidic fruit - apples, mostly, with a hint of white wine grapes, mild bready grain, and soft leafy, faintly grassy hops. The taste is more fleshy, zingy white fruit, some lemon included now, over top of a more crackery, biscuity graininess, with a bit of soft black pepper, and the hops still leafy, more in a musty, early spring lazy lawn care leftovers kind of way. A slight, inoffensive alcohol twinge also lurks here and there.

The bubbles are generally sedate, the body a decent unassuming middleweight for a lager, and pretty damned smooth on top of that. It finishes fairly off-dry, with the still active fruity malt and waning biomass hops.

A nice, soft spring lager, with the Euro version of citrus as a suggestion, rather than that of an edict. Easy to drink, just don't be expecting those jagged Saaz edges.

biboergosum, Apr 21, 2012

MrSomeone, Apr 20, 2012

Brennen, Apr 20, 2012
3.63/5  rDev +3.7%

I just got a new sampler pack from Samuel Adams that my wife spotted and thought of me, what a princess she is.

Anyway there are several in here I had not tried before so I was thrilled.

My first impression was Ohhh Boy! This is a blend of my favorite German beer styles. I love Helles, Lagers, and Spring Bocks (Well I love all beers) but I had really high expectations because Samuel Adams Beer Masters are some very talented brewers. To say that I am not impressed is not true. I like it but I don’t love it. That said let’s begin this review:

The beer pours a very nice and pleasing cloudy blonde with a modest, effervescent head that settles rather quickly. The lacing is decent as well.

Now I brew my own as well and I am a huge fan of Noble Tettnang hops so I was expecting a very pleasant bouquet on this and that was a disappointment. The hops are present but very subtle and are dominated by the malt and a sweet overtone.

The taste is better, it definitely reminds of a Helles and a Spring Bock and it is nice that the flavors aren’t battling it out in my palate. The Hops are more dominant than I expected based on the nose so I was pleasantly surprised there. More Hopping than a typical German brew, but very nicely done. Alpine Spring is a very drinkable beer overall.

As for the mouthfeel it is rich but a tad bit watery, what I would classify as acceptable.

I can see myself getting this beer again, but it won’t be on the top of my list. I also think this one might be a hell of a lot better on a really hot day after some hard work. This might be a better beer for summer.

AtrumAnimus, Apr 19, 2012

KevieJames, Apr 19, 2012

kronusjohn, Apr 19, 2012

Novanglus, Apr 19, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to Eric for gifting me with a bottle of this. Poured into a SA perfect pint glass, the brew appears a hazed golden color with a finger of off-white head that fades down to a thin lacing atop. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain a thin film across the top.

The aroma of this brew has a pleasant malty sweetness that is fresh and grainy almost like biscuits, mildly buttery and it transitions nicely into some floral hop quality that is mildly fruity. Almost smells of a hint of orange zest toward the back.

The taste is a touch of biscuit malt, somewhat sweet like toffee that blends into a hop and alcohol flavoring like tangerine pulp. Some alcohol presence is noted as it warms that mixes with some fruity appeal. The aftertaste is lightly buttery and drawn out.

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation and a pleasant crisp finish that makes this easily drinkable. I could throw a couple of these back mindlessly in the summer with no issues.

stakem, Apr 19, 2012

Fitzmke, Apr 19, 2012

yergermeister, Apr 18, 2012

Kunstman, Apr 18, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Light peach hue with a big foamy head--good retention and really nice lacing

S: Grainy and bready but a crisp citrus and floral hop aroma with a touch of coriander, apples, pears, and lemon rind; this is a subtle aroma but still pretty complex

T: Balanced between fruity (citrus, apples, pears) hops and bready toasty malts; this is a nice beer

F: Fairly creamy; medium body; good overall feel--a touch thin on the back end

O: Such a refreshing seemingly simple and yet crisp and complex beer; I will enjoy this a couple times for some early spring grilling

dbossman, Apr 18, 2012

greenbeer29, Apr 17, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

Satan70, Apr 17, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

My dad gave me one from his SA mix twelver.

Liked the look on this one...similar to a hefe. Cloudy, dull orange, light head, but a solid white ring remained on the top for the duration.

Getting a hint of lemon/orange, some almost brown sugar malt...maybe honey... on deeper whiffs. Pretty tame, but enough to warrant an above average rating.

Citrus zest upon first sip. Grassy hops, light touch of honey, bready malt, and lemon. Not bad, but not very pronounced. A smooth drinker though, and one that you could enjoy on its own or with a burger.

A pretty good effort here from Sam Adams. This is a nice warm weather beer.

obrike, Apr 16, 2012

abrodsky, Apr 15, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

monaquee, Apr 15, 2012

PGVG, Apr 15, 2012
Samuel Adams Alpine Spring from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)