Samuel Adams Alpine Spring - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Alpine SpringSamuel Adams Alpine Spring

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Kellerbier / Zwickelbier |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Borne of our brewers’ many trips to Germany, Alpine Spring features a unique blend of lager attributes: the balanced maltiness and hoppiness of a Helles, the smoothness and slightly higher alcohol of a traditional spring bock, and the unfiltered appearance of a Kellerbier. The beer is brewed with Noble Tettnang hops to add a unique, bright orange-citrusy aroma and flavor.

(Beer added by: BDIMike on 12-22-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Alpine Spring Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +40%

A - honey colored, unfiltered with lots of sediment, and a frothy white head that leaves some nice lacing.

S - It smells of honey, sweetness, citrusy and floral hops, some very slight malt, and lemon citrus.

T - Lemon zest, some pepper and spice, a tad bit of grain, and then the floral and citrus hops come in, finishing off with a mouthful of pure white breadiness, which lingers in the aftertaste.

Overall, this is the best lager I have ever had. It's the beer I always dreamt of finding. This is what I would have tried to brew if I had ever brewed beer.

Absolutely perfect. I just which the aroma was slightly more prominent.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bottle at Euro Market. I get a little kick of fruity hops in the opening of the flavor, but for the most part it comes off like smooth, bready Dortmund export lager. It's a hazy light orange color with a short white head. It's clean and nice enough, but not distinctive. Meh, I want to like this beer, but just can't get excited about it.

3.73/5  rDev +6.6%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Dimpled Mug.

Appearance: Cloudy honey-gold with decent stark white cap.

Smell: Lemon, straw, apple, orange and some very light spiciness.

Taste: Light straw, toast and tart apple backbone, over which there are subtle layers of lemon, orange and white pepper.

Feel: Light but creamy body with moderately high carbonation and a nice dry finish.

Overall: Light and refreshing with a perfect mouthfeel for this type of beer. Could use a little more complexity or oomph, but few can take the Helles / Zwickel Bier and make it really great, so can't knock it much.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%

Best by July is notched.

It pours a hazy dark yellow with a 1 finger head of foam that leaves a lot of lacing.

The smell is of lemons and pretty much, nothing else.

The taste is kind of a clash for my palate; lemon vs a solid malty taste. To me, the clash doesn't make for an easy drinking brew nor a very tasty, to my liking, brew. Pretty dull and uninspiring overall.

No problems with the mouthfeel; nice and smooth with the right amount of carbonation.

An interesting style for the brewery to tackle but I don't think it hit the style spot on. My first 6 pack will be my last.

3.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Orange hue, very cloudy. Nice looking, but this seems a little too cloudy for what I believe this style of beer was supposed to be...?
S - Not very much here, slightly grassy and lemony.
T - Bright and light sweetness. Spicy hop finish. Reminds me a bit of lemon scones, a bit fruity. Not bad, but not exactly bursting with flavor either.
M - Crisp and carbonated. Medium mouthfeel. Hmm, actually very carbonated, but I don't feel this level of carbonation is inappropriate for the style.
O - Like a lot of Sams... not bad, drinkable, but definitely left me wanting more flavor, and especially aroma. I'm not sure if it is fair to compare this to Noble Pils; but NP is head and shoulders above this beer.

4.03/5  rDev +15.1%

Hazy golden yellow beer with a shock white one and a half finger head on top. Patchy lacing stays on the glass as the head dissapates to a patchy sheet. Citrsuy nose, and a little wheaty. The citrus comes in the form of lemon grass, very clean and refreshing.

Clean and refreshing in the taste as well. Sweet, then tart like lemons. There is a grassy taste as well that gives it that clean, refreshing side. Decent little bite of hops in the back that give the sweet/tart thing some balance. Wheaty malts that create a solid backbone. Subtly complex, despite the refreshing qualities, with a nice balance througout. Juicy in the middle and dry in the finish, effervescent texture near the end from a higher carbonation. This is a good one from BBC and a welcome addition to their seasonal line-up.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

I got a bottle of Samuel Adams Alpine Spring in their Brewers Choice twelve pack a couple weeks ago, I haven't been too impressed with the other new beers in the pack, but to my knowledge I have never had this style before, so I am interested to see how this beer turns out. It had June notched for it's best by date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label has some nicely done scenery in the background, but it isn't that eye catching. It poured a hazy pale straw golden color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left a slight amount of lacing. This beer looked ok but to me it looked more like a Wheat Ale then a Lager.

S- The first thing that I pick up are load of pale malts that have a low amount of medium sweetness and impart lots of grainy and bready aromas along with a slight biscuit like aroma. After that came the hops which imparted a mix of grassy and citrus aromas with the grassy aroma sticking out the most. The aroma is Ok, but it's a little bland and one dimensional.

T- The taste is pretty close to the aroma. It starts off with loads of pale malts that have a low amount of sweetness and impart a pretty dominating grainy and bready taste. Next comes a little bit of honey then some hops which are much more grassy then then they are citrusy. At the end I get some yeast flavors, on the finish it had a low amount of bitterness and a really grainy and bready aftertaste, Just like the aroma the taste was a little boring and one dimensional, it wasn't bad, it just wasn't interesting.

M- Smooth, slightly crisp, on the light side of being medium bodied and it had a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel suited this beer nicely.

Overall I thought that was a pretty average beer, since I have never had this style before I really didn't know what to expect but what I got was a little boring and didn't keep me entertained, I don't know if this was a bland attempt at the style or if they are suppose to be like that. It did have some pretty good drinkability and I have no doubt that this would make a pretty refreshing summer beer that would be easy to drink a lot of, but right now it just doesn't hold my attention and make me want to grab another bottle. What I liked most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it fit this beer nicely and was just what it should be. What I liked least about this beer was the bland flavor and aroma and the lack hops, mainly of the citrus variety, if it had some more hops it would help balance out all those dominating bready malts. I wouldn't seek this beer out, it just doesn't stick out to me. If you want a smooth easy drinking warm weather beer this may make a good choice, but to me it isn't that interesting. This beer was very middle of the road with nothing about it being memorable. As a whole I wasn't too impressed with this years brewers choice pack, all the new beers seemed pretty lackluster and it's safe to say that I enjoyed the old beers in this pack more then the new beers, I guess I was just expecting more from their brewers choice pack, I hope the next one turns out better.

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Poured from a bottle into a glass. Had a nice thick head, about a finger. Interesting golden straw color for a lager, hazy due to the lack of filtering.

S - Floral and citrusy. You get a little bit of hops as well. Sweet.

T - Hops and honey. Loses some of the citrus that was present in the nose. A little bit of yeast flavors. Bitter hop finish.

M - Standard carbonation and decent drinkability.

O - I have never had a lager like this before. It would be great on a warm summer day by the pool.

Samuel Adams Alpine Spring from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)