2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

good

pDev: 16%

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 12-29-2011)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,545 | Reviews: 404 | Show All Ratings:
JoLight

Georgia

Appearance - Golden, honey color, and hazy, with lots of brown chunks and sediment. It has a finger-width white head, that leaves a tremendous amount of lacing.

Aroma - Very, very sweet. Apricots, the typical IPA sweetness, floral hops, no malt.

Taste - A little sweetness at the beginning, and sort of mild as far as hoppiness goes. The more I drank, the less sweet it was, and the more hoppy it became. A little malt, but mostly just apricot, tart, and floral hops.

Finish - very dry, crisp, refreshing, and delicious.

07-31-2012 03:08:12 | More by JoLight
SouljaSaia17

4.83/5  rDev +38%

I have had this beer as part of Samuel Adams Spring Collection.

A: This beer has a nice dark, hazy orange color with a 2-inch bright white head that stays around in even a wide mouth glass.

S: Intense spice, apricots, pine & citrus made up the aroma of this IPA.

T: Very sweet at first, then you get an intense pine flavor with an aftertaste of apricots and grapefruit. Slight bit of honey, but the bitterness stands out and sticks in your mouth at the end.

M: Mouth feel is a slight sweetness that balances the bitterness of the hops. Drinkable if your really into the style. Very nice lacing and good carbonation, if you can see through the haze.

O: This was an intense beer for me as I had not experience many IPA's before, but after some trials with the style, this is the strongest IPA I have had to date. Even over the Dogfish head 60 min, this beer is superior to that and a lot of IPA's!

07-20-2012 02:34:29 | More by SouljaSaia17
wages

Missouri

4.75/5  rDev +35.7%

2nd review of this beer from a different batch on 2/21. Poured into standard a pint glass at around 50 to 60 degrees. Fairly warm for me.

appearance - 5/5 - Still has a hazy bright orange color with a big two finger head. Leaves a fair amount of lacing (less than the previous one).

smell - 4.5/5 - I'm picking up a lot of grapefruit and pineapple and extremely subtle wheat.

taste - 5/5 - This time it's very, very much "pineapple" to me which must be from the hops. It's a great balance for the wheat flavors which are a little more prevalent at the high temperature, but welcome in the IPA environment.

mouthfeel - 5/5 - Medium level of carbonation. There's a big hop flavor leftover that's very spicy.

overall - 5/5 - Still really digging this beer. I can see this as a goto during the summer if they keep it in production (please!).
---
1st review from 2/13/2012

appearance - 5/5 - Hazy bright orange color with a big two finger head. Leaves lots of lacing.

smell - 4/5? - I'm having a hard time picking up any substantial aroma. Probably because my nose is a little stopped up.

taste - 5/5 - Bright grapefruit hops slash apricot undertones appear immediately and then a faint wheat flavor follows. I can pick up "spices", but not what kind.

mouthfeel - 4.5/5 - Medium to high level of carbonation but not enough to clear the hop flavor, so it lingers a bit and coats the tongue with malty goodness.

overall - 5/5 - I was curious what the wheat IPA would be like, and I'm surprised to say it doesn't disapoint!

02-21-2012 22:12:36 | More by wages
Damian

4.63/5  rDev +32.3%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle
Best before month notched: FEB 13
Served in a pint glass
Thanks to my friend James for saving this bottle for me.

With a careful pour, the beer was a hazy yellow ochre. Some large particles gathered in the bottom of the glass. I later swirled the remaining yeast in the bottle and poured this as well. The resulting liquid was substantially more cloudy and the body was re-capped by an amazingly tight, billowing, two-finger crop of fluffy foam. Outstanding retention. Multiple rings of tight, beaded lacing coated the entire glass.

The nose was amazingly fragrant. Fresh, pureed apricot notes jumped out of the glass. Sweet and vibrant. Lots of coriander and clove. Strong notes of orange peel. Slightly wheaty and tart. There were absolutely no IPA-like characteristics, but with so many other great things going on, I did not miss the hops.

The flavor profile was fantastic as well. Super smooth, easy drinking and refreshing. Again, notes of fresh apricot dominated. Perhaps some peach as well. Fruity and rather sweet on the front end. Wheaty and tart in center. Good dose of clove and orange peel. Touch of lemon. The beer turned much more IPA-like on the back end. There was a mix of fruity, citrusy hops and some earthy, bittering hops. Strong orange and grapefruit peel notes. Nice overall balance. I really liked how the beer transitioned from start to finish.

The mouthfeel was creamy, smooth and pillowy soft. Supple and frothy on the palate. The liquid contained a very fine, above average amount of carbonation.

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA really surprised me. Apparently a hybrid of three beer styles (an IPA, an American wheat ale and a fruit beer), it had a remarkably interesting and enjoyable flavor profile. Try this with an open mind (do not think of it as a typical IPA) and I bet you will really enjoy it too.

12-09-2012 07:03:29 | More by Damian
JEdmund

Kansas

4.6/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bright yellow/orange and hazy, can see yeast pour out; good, tall head and lacing.

Awesome apricot aroma! Love it! Mingled with that great fruit aroma are citrus hops. This is one of my all-time favorite aromas I’ve come across in a beer thanks to those apricots. It works so well.

Fantastic hybrid flavor of a wit and an IPA. It’s yeasty, spicy, and fruity. Lots of good apricot flavor, though it’s not overwhelming. Big hop bite, especially in the finish. Body is luscious and really well executed.

I really, really like this beer. One of the most striking and enjoyable new brews I’ve had in a while. Will be buying lots more.

05-18-2012 17:48:12 | More by JEdmund
burnerfinger

4.55/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

bought myself one of those choose six singles six packs -
poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet:

A Color is like straw just like the macros - but the has no clarity at all - held up to the light this is very cloudy. Blanch white head of about 2 fingers with nice generous lacing but the head settles quick

S- AHH YES sharp hoppiness, honeslty this is better than I expected from sam adams. and that's saying a lot. I am thinking Pine flavored hops

T - really nice sharp hops

M - not too thin - really OUTSTAnding ipa - CONGRATS sam adams!

D- so sad I only got one - this is GREAT and a good session brew

03-17-2013 03:38:59 | More by burnerfinger
AtrumAnimus

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

This one pours a cloudy white blonde. with a shaving cream think head that takes more than several minutes to settle down leaving behind a thick and hearty bit of lacing on the glass, very nice so far.

The nose is like a pine forest in spring after a rain, sweet and fragrant like the hops that dominate this IPA.

The taste is a dry and complex malt that is subdued nicely by the hops.

The mouth feel is full bodied and well textured.

The Sam Adams folks have outdone themselves on this one. I really like it and will gladly buy it again. I highly recommend this one if you are a hop head.

03-21-2012 21:39:35 | More by AtrumAnimus
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

This pours a cloudy amber orange color with a foamy white head. The scent is strong with hops mixed with wheat and citrus. The taste is smooth and rich with hoppy goodness that delivers a strong bitter bite. I was pretty shocked by the taste of this beer for being the lower tier of the Sam Adams line. Really tasty and overall a really well made beer!

11-03-2012 03:13:36 | More by Lemke10
Star80

4.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Found in the new Brewmaster variety pack. Pours out a hazy gold color, like a typical Witbier. Some decent lacing on the glass. The smell is what initially grabbed me, big piney hops, some faint clove and spice. I can also detect some sweet fruityness from the apricot. Actually a neat smelling beer. Anyway, the taste is a really interesting interplay between the heavy citric hops and the crispness of the wheat and the sweetness from the apricot. Reminds me of my first craft beer I really liked from Sam, the discontinued Stock Ale. I always detected a lot of apricot in there, even though there wasn't any, lol. I have to say I am impressed, but I am not sure I would or wouldn't want this sold in the six pack? I see that they have made the Alpine Spring the new spring seasonal, also an interesting beer. Having tried both I think I would have preferred this as their next spring seasonal. Well, gotta give Jim Koch and Co props for continuing to try new things and I think this one was a big success! Sadly this is the last one in my pack...

12-31-2011 19:18:17 | More by Star80
thebrood1987

4.43/5  rDev +26.6%

Definitely getting very nice smells of tangerine and apricot mixed in with that white ale coriander cereal wheat malt characteristic that you can kinda smell in blue moon...this of course smells better. It also has the hoppiness tinge to it with the floral citrus but it mixes in with the other fruit in this beer so well it doesnt smell like an overwhelming hop bomb.

I get the spicy hop bite up front with the apricot, coriander fruity sweetness which really reminds you that this is a white ale as well, and then ending with the pine citric bitterness of an IPA. They perfectly blended the two and made sure the hoppyness is well apparent. It also has a cereal wheat malt taste to it as well that really completes the beer.

Samuel Adams really stepping it up these days and this beer is delicious a very solid choice and an even better more interesting beer than just a white ale or just the noble pils. Definitely give it a try.

02-07-2012 03:52:13 | More by thebrood1987
cjgator3

4.35/5  rDev +24.3%

Pours a hazy golden orangish color with a nice off-white head. The aroma is citrus a hint of spices and hops. The taste is sweet malt up front with a nice dose of hops in the finish. Overall, a really nice offering from Sam Adams. I would definitely purchase this one again. Recommended!

02-08-2012 02:58:54 | More by cjgator3
bnes09

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Bright orange in color with a hazy texture. Thick head forms, recedes, then layers the top of the brew with a solid coat of foam. Lacing is sticky, wavy and almost seems to be alive inside the glass.

Fresh, sweet and citric hop aroma. Raw pine needles and apricot come to mind.

Robust hop flavor but not overpowering. Lemon, apricot, pine and raw onion bitterness. Malt is well pronounced as well with a smooth and hearty biscuit-like character. Buttery in the middle. Finish is dry with plenty of lingering hop bitterness. I like that the alcohol is not very strong. Perfect balance.

On the lighter side of medium bodied. Bright and lively carbonation lets all the flavors come through and compliments the hop bitterness. Ever so smooth, goes down like water. Love the dry finish.

Wow! One of Sam Adams best beers to date. Everything about this beer is exceptional. Could drink this any day of the week.

02-01-2012 02:54:45 | More by bnes09
Halcyondays

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a translucent creamy orange, like a melted down creamsicle with a huge pillowy white head leaving great lace.

S: Has that wit orange peel, some peppery spice.

T: Orange, grapefruit, and apricots upfront and then finishes with a bitter pine attack which is just delicious.

M: Medium-bodied, hint of acid, very crisp, refreshing.

O: One of the best Sam Adams beers I've had in a while. Impressive, great taste.

02-19-2012 04:04:32 | More by Halcyondays
theaudist

Alabama

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

This has got to be one of the most underrated brews Sammy A has put out.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color is hazy orange straw. Holding up to the light you can see flakes or pieces of what I can only assume to be (after reading the label) either apricots or spices floating in this beer.

The aroma is pretty divine in this brew. A lot going on here. Strongly citrus with a mild-spicy clove scent in the background. I kept smelling a light, almost "fresh pie" smelling fruit in the nose, so I quizzically read the label and noted the "brewed with apricots" description. Intriguing!

Taste is so well balanced its stunning. The citrus hops blend in with the wheat & apricot flavors beautifully and the whole beer is just a pleasure to drink.

Mouthfeel is very oily and full, yet leaves you feeling refreshed. A great summertime beer.

I can't really adequately describe it; I think there's just a lot more to this beer than the Bro's noted on their first go 'round. Its just so well balanced. Its not simply an IPA, and if you go in thinking its going to be just an IPA, the wheat's subdued characteristics will make this beer seem underwhelming.

Its nice to see Sam Adams making some more "extreme" beers; or at the very least, breaking out of the mold of styles. I hope this gains the same popularity as noble pils. Alas, I feel that because its called an IPA, it will never gain that status.

Should have named this something else, because this fantastic beer is not getting the rep it deserves.

04-16-2012 23:40:03 | More by theaudist
Abaskin

4.33/5  rDev +23.7%

Bought this at the local liquor store looking for something "light and refreshing" I have been on a heiferweizen kick as of late, just because its been so hot. This I have to say wasy pleasantly surprising. it is light quite hoppy but not in way where I found it too hoppy (being a guy who doesn't like IPA as much as some do.) It was exactly what I wanted. Its light its extremely drinkable , and goes good with any food I can think to pair it with.

Please try this if you can find it in your area.

08-04-2012 19:23:51 | More by Abaskin
jwc215

Wisconsin

4.3/5  rDev +22.9%

Freshness of July notched on the label:

Pours cloudy lemon-drop yellow with a thin white head. Minimal lacing sticks.

The smell of hops abound - citrus - grapefruit and lemon with pine, apricot and a wheat tang. A wheat, fruity, spiced IPA. Interesting, and certainly inviting!

The taste is of bitter hops - piney and citrusy - grapefruit stands out with a hint of sweetened apricot in the middle. Complex and rich with a wheat twist. It is pretty intense with a bitter finish.

Medium-bodied and pretty chewy and crisp, some alcohol does show. Flavor lingers; so does the dryness.

A very interesting hoppy brew. It's an IPA with white ale characteristics. I love the way the hops linger, though the dryness becomes slightly sandpaper-ish after the second (of the two in the variety pack). (By the way - a "Spring" variety pack released in January is REALLY pushing it, but that's the trend now.) Anyway - if you like hoppy ales and wheat beers this is certainly one to get!

01-20-2012 03:32:08 | More by jwc215
Knapp85

4.28/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer really hit the spot for me. I was craving an IPA like you couldn't imagine and I came home and opened this one up. Gave it a good pour and looked over it's hazy golden color and white head. The aroma of this was big on the apricot and hops. Those two aromas blend so well together it made my mouth water. The taste of the beer is about as good as the nose. The flavors of citrusy hops collide with the apricot giving off this really nice refreshing flavor. The spices don't kick in until the finish, but even then they aren't dominant at all. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall I wished that I had picked up more than just a single bottle of this brew because I would have easily put down a 6 pack of these.

03-13-2012 04:05:12 | More by Knapp85
danielp215

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%

Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass. Best by May 2012 so this case is very fresh.

Appearance is a cloudy golden orange color with a bleached T-shirt white head. Astoundingly beautiful.

The smell is outstanding. Super bitter floral hops when cold but sweetens up a bit as it warms to a kiss of sweet malt. Not the most complex nose but I cannot stop pausing to take a whiff. Amazingly fresh.

My first sip was while the beer was very cold and it was quite bitter and dry. As it warmed the beer sweetened up to a more balanced taste, but the hops are overwhelmingly present as would be expected. Refreshing and delicious.

The mouthfeel starts with a nice tingle on the tongue with a perfect amount of carbonation. Mouth feel is medium. Utterly perfect for the style. Afterfeel is outstanding. My mouth remains coated in pleasant bitter hops.

Not really understanding the mediocre reviews for this beer!

01-22-2012 21:40:24 | More by danielp215
psuKinger

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle given to me by my buddy Matt, poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pours a golden straw color, with a big thick white head on top. Tons and tons of sediment, like nothing I've ever seen before. Big flakes, some of which are floating on top of the head. I've never seen so much sediment in a beer.

I usually enjoy the sediment... but this has me uneasy.

S: Clean nose of pine with a touch of grapefruit. All muted.

T: Wow! Punchy. Surprising flavor for what I expected based on the appearance, the nose, and the label. Big notes of pine, and a touch floral and citrus as well. Delicate malt sweetness enveloped on both sides by great big bitter notes. A nice touch of dry spiciness on the back end adds character to this brew.

Impressive, Sam Adams. Impressive.

M: Light and lively, great carbonation, good dry sticky finish. This beer review has turned the corner. I'm all in on this guy.

D/O: Very drinkable. An excellent, light, refreshing, lower-ABV-but-fully-flavored brew.

I'm not sure BA has this "beer style" correct, though, as the Sam Adams website (and bottle) indicates that their is wheat, apricot and spices in this brew. Perhaps "American Pale Wheat Ale" might be more appropriate? Regardless, a delicious beer, no matter which "bin" you try to sort it into.

07-29-2012 17:50:55 | More by psuKinger
GreesyFizeek

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle purchased at Beers of the World in Rochester, NY.

Pours a hazy, cloudy dark orange. 1 inch head, significant lacing. Bits of sediment float around suspended in the glass.

Smells very citrusy, lots of oranges, grapefruit, and apricot.

The taste follows. The fruit flavors are so clean and refreshing, tons of oranges and apricots, as if the fruits are actually floating in the glass. Pretty dry, not much malt flavor is picked up.

Lightly carbonated, and very drinkable.

Possibly Sam Adam's best hoppy offering. A really nice twist on the IPA with the apricot additions, but Dogfish Head's Aprihop is better within that small style window.

07-31-2013 23:45:36 | More by GreesyFizeek
Mosstrooper

4.25/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz mug.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow color with a mild orange tint. Medium-sized, thick white head dissipates fairly quickly and leaves behind a thick ring of lace.

Smell: Lots of pine backed up by apricot, orange, and lemon. Maybe just a touch of pepper in the aroma as well.

Taste: Begins with citric and spicy flavors, before rounding out to apricot and orange sweetness backed up by wheat. Finish is woody, earthy, and a bit nutty.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with balanced carbonation that stings up front. Finish is very dry.

Overall: I really, really enjoy this beer. It is almost like drinking a typical West Coast IPA, but with a bit more added depth and character than many of them. Lacks the ABV punch as many similar-tasting brews, but doesn't compromise much flavor-wise. Sam Adams brews are generally good representations of their style, but fall short of greatness. I was quite shocked to find this one to be excellent and it will now be known as a new favorite of mine in the Samuel Adams line of beers.

01-31-2014 01:26:50 | More by Mosstrooper
CaptJackHarkness

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%

From twelve ounce bottle freshness dated for July 2012.

Scent of grapefruit/citrus. Pours a hazy lemon yellow with large foamy head. Great head retention and laces the glass down to the bottom! Tastes piney and citrusy with a nice hop kick/bite to it.I did not notice the apricots, the hops are still more forward; what I would expect from an I.P.A..

02-17-2012 00:56:44 | More by CaptJackHarkness
riversider76

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a cloudy golden with a fluffy white head. Decent retention and nice lace. Aroma is of piney hops, and citrus. Body is medium, with a good amount of carbonation. Taste is grapefruit up front with a nicely bittered finish. Hints of wheat and spice through out Excellent.

02-19-2012 02:03:01 | More by riversider76
Shaw

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a hazy golden color with a big, white foamy head. Beautiful.

Big citrus and pine hop aroma. Almost tropical fruity with hints of apricot.

I can taste the apricots, which add a nice detail to the big hop flavors. Quite bitter and on the dry side, rather than being a sweeter IPA.

Creamy body is very nice.

Overall this is an exceptional beer from the experts at Samuel Adams. Hop fans, seek this out.

04-17-2012 00:43:47 | More by Shaw
shacawgo24

4.23/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-Dirty orange body with great gradation scale of color. One-to-two fingers of creamy white head. Light lacing is spotty and falls in a cascading fashion.

S-Hops. Mandarin. Tangerine. Peach. Orange. Pine. Dank. Caramel malt wafts. Could be more aromatic. A bit musty smelling. But fruits and pine make smell the stand-out trait.

T-Mandarin orange. Fresh bitter hops are piney. Light grapefruit. White bread. A lot of pine that's a plus. But evident malt, (not sunken and hidden) should be here. Also benefitting would be fruits that are strong and on-par like the smells' fruits are.

M-Medium body. Fluid and creamy both. Medium-low carbonation. Typical sweet/sours of citrus start the sip, a sweet bready middle leads to a smooth pine finish that leaves a numb peppery hop bite. A medicinal crushed pill bitter is the after-feel.

O-Not getting the witbier taste here. The obvious orange in witbier is tasted but no coriander and wheat. Whitewater IPA is essentially an orange fruit, (orange, tangerine, mandarin, apricot, etc.) IPA in my book. A decent good beer I'd buy in a Sam Seasonal Box or Hopology Mixed Six Pack, not sure if a whole sixer though. More tastes will determine.

04-15-2014 10:28:37 | More by shacawgo24
Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)