1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 12-29-2011)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,539 | Reviews: 404 | Show All Ratings:
Jesse13713

1.38/5  rDev -60.6%

This is my 4th time having this beer. Poured into a Winking Lizard pilsner glass.

Appearance - A clumpy, uneven head. Highly carbonated with huge chunks of yeast floating around. The beer is a gross, chunky, bathroom-swill yellow. The yeast looks like giblets of lard.

Smell - Light hops and citrus. Nothing special. Does not smell fresh at all -though its best-by date is July. A bit of a rotten smell that is somewhere between body odor and dead lawn grass sitting in the back of a mower.

Taste - A very below average IPA. The hops are far from fresh or sweet. Dead grass lingers in the aftertaste. Funky and lightly bitter, but not in a good way. No delicious nectar qualities or citrus notes. This beer is a true drag to drink.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - There's no real backing to this beer whatsoever. This beer is horrifically bland from start to finish. Plain, bland, dull . . . the thesaurus doesn't have enough synonyms for the word boring to describe this beer. Dry mouthfeel. Dry personality. I don't get any spice, apricot, or light fruits as others noted make this a witbier/ipa hybrid.

06-30-2012 03:07:26 | More by Jesse13713
BOSMECH

1.6/5  rDev -54.3%

I have had this 2 times in a bottle.

A the apperance is more of a ligth clowded gold color.

Smells hoppy just like a IPA should.

T is a very citrusy taste then you get the hos with it also.

M it has the usual IPA hop taste but then you get the over bearing citrus taste.

O you have to really love IPA's on this one and I do love IPA's but the citrus taste just kills it I will never drink this again after my second try on it.

09-10-2012 15:27:34 | More by BOSMECH
iSip

Colorado

1.84/5  rDev -47.4%

Sam Adams Whitewater IPA: Nice foamy head on top of a dirty straw colored brew. The aroma is acrid and chemical. The flavor -- ick. This mix of Belgian whit and American IPA does not dance. Pass on this one. The Decshutes Chainbreaker proves it can be done, but Sam Adams missed the mark.

04-19-2013 00:23:57 | More by iSip
AwYeh

1.85/5  rDev -47.1%

Thanks to Jesse13713 for sending me home with a bottle of this after a tasting session. Best by July 2012 and poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy golden-copper color with tons of carbonation bubbles streaming through the beer, among a few pieces of sediment. Two fingers of frothy white head, which leaves behind considerable lacing. Looks like a thin beer as it moves around in the glass.

S: Very faint aroma. I pick up bits of a wheaty, biscuity malt backbone, which is complemented by hints of apricot. It isn't bad, but if I'm rating to style it's a bit below average for an American IPA.

T: A really odd mashup of flavors. The apricot is what really hits me first, followed by wheat and bread flavors– I'm not really enjoying the transition between the two, there's quite a clash going on. Pepper, pine hops, and non-descript herbal and grassy flavors add flavor on the finish. Aftertaste is of bitter apricot. I'm a fan of lots of the flavors here, but this combination just isn't working out. A faint metallic flavor began to show up in the aftertaste late in my glass.

M: Thin-medium body with extremely lively carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Very crisp. It feels like the beer is inflating in my mouth due to the extreme carbonation, which helps the tingly feeling of bitterness hang around on my tongue after the finish.

O: Throughout my glass, I downgraded the taste rating from 2.5 to 2 and finally to 1.5– my enjoyment of the beer just kept decreasing as I went through my pour, before it became difficult (but not impossible) to finish. I almost certainly would have enjoyed this one more if I wasn't thinking too heavily about it for the review. Not particularly recommended– there are much better IPAs out there. I'm willing to try it again if it shows up in a Sam Adams 12-pack and I'm interested to see if I appreciate it more next time. This could be an acquired taste (like the semi-similar Dogfish Head Aprihop has been for me).

06-30-2012 07:16:30 | More by AwYeh
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

1.9/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, a really odd pink color with a short white head that dissipates immediately leaving no lacing, very cloudy with coagulated chunks floating around

S: apricots and peaches up front with banana and clove esters, not much hops, interesting as a fruit beer but not as an IPA

T: this is an unpleasant combination of standard but weak wheat beer flavors, some fruit that based on the label I'm lead to believe is apricot, and Boston Lager flavored hops, why the hell does anyone think these flavors pair well with one another

M: sex in a canoe, chunks of crap in my mouth, on a more positive note the carbonation is lively and refreshing, aftertaste returns to being muddled disgusting mess

O: I get what BBC is doing; IPAs are popular so capitalize on the market while trying to differentiate your product. They should however be ashamed for releasing a beer that looks like a 15 year old kid tried to make homebrew in his closet, tastes like a fruit bran muffin train wreck, and is labeled as an IPA just because some idiot decided to throw in a few extra hops. I'm putting the patriot on restriction for a few days for making a beer that is too bitter for the BMC crowd, and too revolting for the craft crowd. In trying to capitalize on a market trend, a beer for no market has been born. The ass end of this one gets to feed my septic system.

01-29-2013 03:38:54 | More by M_C_Hampton
mrpoizun

South Dakota

2.05/5  rDev -41.4%

Came in a twelve pack (bottles) of seasonal varieties. This beer has ittle discernible bitterness or hops taste with a strong grapefruit aftertaste. This is supposed to be an IPA? We all know citrus doesn't go with beer, right? Very unpleasant. Sam Adams seems to be dumbing down their beer for those with more plebeian tastes, but I don't know who the target audience is for this one.

02-11-2014 19:39:20 | More by mrpoizun
SamFaninNYC

2.15/5  rDev -38.6%

Appearance: couldn't tell--drank straight from bottle.

Smell: Honest to God, it smelled of feet. Musty foot.

Taste: Floor cleaner. Once that subsided, a very sour citrus taste, mostly at the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: This is one area in which this very confusing beer excelled. Mouthfeel was very clean, with a very dry finish.

Overall: A 2. The Whitewater IPA tries too hard to do too many things, and does none of those things well. A bit more in the way of malt might have smoothed out the very heady hop taste of this brew, and might have yielded a warmer taste altogether. Oddly, though it's very hard to drink it's not entirely unpleasant. I'm through a third of the bottle now, and if I don't inhale while I'm drinking it, it's not that bad. A mediocre beer with a very nice finish.

03-24-2012 03:36:21 | More by SamFaninNYC
harrymel

Washington

Best by Aug, 2012

Pours a solid light copper with some white foam residing atop leaving some lace. Huh, the apricot comes through surprsingly well, but not too strong. There are also some noble hops and herbal notes. Flavor is dry and bitter with a little wheat flavor and mostly bitterness from the hops, not really any of the fruit I smelled and not really good. Dry and full bodied with hi carb - an odd trifecta. Overall, not impressed with the beer. Great idea, poor execution is how I feel about this.

03-26-2012 14:49:23 | More by harrymel
lacqueredmouse

Australia

2.45/5  rDev -30%

Another in the current trend of White IPAs. Single bottle purchased from Whole Foods in Soma, San Francisco.

Pours a very hazy yellow golden colour, with a firm, solid and meringue-like head of white. Lacing is solid. Rather light bodied, but that's not unexpected. Carbonation is fine and vibrant. Looks decent.

Nose is herbal and slightly rubbery, with a hint of pepper and a touch of oddly conceptual fruitiness. There's not a lot to it, and the hops are strained at best. Not much hint of the witbier progenitor either.

Taste is, not to be ungracious, unpleasant. Funky, chalky and savoury character lends a meaty bite to the palate. No body, and the bitterness strikes through unpleasantly towards the back, making it feel empty and painful. Bitter, harsh aspirin character finishes it off.

Overall, poor effort. It resembled neither a wit or an IPA particularly well, and doesn't strike a new path with any success either. Instead, we get a jumbled, unpleasant, harsh and pointless beer. Really, I'm surprised.

06-26-2012 02:54:24 | More by lacqueredmouse
Alextricity

2.45/5  rDev -30%

Poured into a Samuel Adams pint glass.

I got this in the Sam Adams Hop-ology pack, and this beer is one that I just really do NOT like. If it weren't so bitter, I would give it a slightly higher rating, but with such a strong bitter aftertaste, I can't give this beer a high rating. It has a nice, hazy appearance, and to me, that's one of its highlights.

The beer smells like spring to me -- a light, hoppy, grapefruit (Sam Adams says it's apricots) aroma. Whitewater IPA also has a slightly above average light-medium body mouthfeel.

The big problem I have, as I said, is the over-bitterness. The beer wouldn't taste that great regardless, but adding bitterness to a brew that tastes like apricots and pine tar isn't very appealing to me. I normally love Sam Adams, but this gets a THUMBS DOWN from me.

07-08-2012 23:32:56 | More by Alextricity
danreitz

2.45/5  rDev -30%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mason jar. Hazy gold with a bubbly, two-finger head. Thick and dry in the mouth and bitter on the tongue, with a surprise grapefruit flavor that is neither subtle nor completely welcome. Bitter aftertaste that grips a little too hard but is relatively quick to dissipate. I want to like this beer, but it seems like it hasn't figured itself out. C

12-16-2012 05:52:19 | More by danreitz
russwbeck

2.58/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Hazy yellow pour into my perfect pint glass with about a finger of frothy white head. Decent retention, but only spotty lacing. Decent amount of bubbles race to the top of the beer from the bottom of the glass well after pouring.

S: The smell is, well like an IPA, but not a very good one. Lemony, nearing soapy with grassy hints.

T: This is pretty average is my first thought. Sort of a weird mix between a pilsner and an IPA. Lemony like the smell, and I'm still getting some soap, but this also has a slight caramel maltiness, which I like.

MF: Slightly bitter finish, light and crisp overall. Not all that drinkable.

O: As part of the brewer's choice mix pack, I think this has a pretty good value. However, as a whole, this mix pack is FAR worse than the Fall or Winter selections.

02-09-2012 23:46:57 | More by russwbeck
pweis909

Wisconsin

2.58/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer was in the hop collection 6 pack, or something like that, a variety pack that also included Noble Pils and Latitude 48, two favorites of mine. So, this was a way to try something new while simultaneously picking up two beers that I like. Cool. Good thing, too, because I don't like Whitewater IPA, a wit/IPA hybrid, all that much.

Why not? It looks great! Slightly hazy like a wit, but a deeper gold color, with good foam.
Some hops to the smell, some citrus, a little soap? Nothing really intense.
Taste like orange peel. Like the pith of orange peel. Unpleasant aftertaste.
The beer really coats the mouth with an oil slick. Must be the proteins from the wheat. Maybe some dextrins from caramalts, too? Really doesn't go with IPA IMO.

Sorry Jim K., this one is not working for me.

02-14-2013 23:17:05 | More by pweis909
beagle75

Iowa

2.63/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip pint glass.

A: Hazy, brassy golden color with two fingers of persistent custard-tinted foam head. Heavy lacing remains on the glass.

S: Bright and floral, slightly vinous and with bready yeast.

T: Begins dry, with savory ground coriander spice and citric acidity. Wheat detected in the middle fails to moderate the effect of scathingly sharp and astringent bitterness that follows. More savory and aromatic spices are present in the finish as offending bitter green plant stem recedes.

M: Thin viscosity, astringent on the palate though not to the extent encountered in the flavor, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: While the term "palate-wrecker" is sometimes used as a point of distinction to describe bitter/hoppy beers, this very experimental IPA is a study in how not to earn the descriptor. An odd combination of strong bittering hops and overstated cooking spices make for a scorching effect on the palate that elicits a grimace and a pause with each sip. While some qualities do not suffer and remain appealing, the flavor cannot help but sabotage overall enjoyment, making it hard to finish.

01-19-2012 00:49:24 | More by beagle75
BigBarley

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours like a hefeweizen, deep orange, extremely cloudy, thick 2 finger head that cuts in half and retains well.

S - Hoppy forefront, little crisp wheat freshness underneath. Not much going on in the smell, fairly weak. Faint notes of fruit beneath.

T - Strong hop character, mild wheat behind. Mostly just a jumble, nothing seems to stand out. Several unidentifiable flavors in this. Supposed to sense apricot, but I really don't sense much besides hops, waxy bitterness and a confused ball of half-flavors. Not very impressed.

M - Thick, creamy, but crisp. If there were a version of this with a good flavor, I'd drink it all day.

O - I probably won't drink this again. I'm finding it hard to see the appeal. None of my favorite wibier characteristics mixed with none of my favore IPA characteristics... the worst of both worlds. It's not a bad beer necessarily, it just seems to be trying to go in several directions at once and never reaches it's destination. I'm hoping if I do drink it again I can get something I missed this time, because the idea of this beer sounds great. The execution just seems a little sloppy

10-29-2012 15:30:21 | More by BigBarley
StoutTilDeath

2.65/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

This beer should not be labeled an IPA. It is a wheat beer with hops. I saw this new offering at my gas station, saw IPA, and decided to give it a try. It wasnt poured, straight from bottle, but still got the gist of it.

As an IPA lover, I have to call this one false advertisement. Putting a hint of hops into a wheat beer does not an IPA make. Id drink this again if it were free, sadly I cant get my 10 bucks back though. Id only recommend this to wheat beer enthusiasts who like a bit of hops too.

If youre an IPA drinker expecting a good hop experience, head the other way.

04-17-2013 14:21:03 | More by StoutTilDeath
kojevergas

2.68/5  rDev -23.4%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with a standard pressure cap served into a transparent hard plastic cup at me friend's gaff in Palo Alto, California. Reviewed from notes. Acquired at a local BevMo as part of a Sam Adams variety box.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and good retention. Colour is a hazy yellow-orange.

Sm: Lemon and a pretty hefty hop aroma. A simple, standard IPA aroma. Clean. Moderate in strength.

T: Hop bitterness comes through, untamed and imbalanced by any other note. Clean malts form the foundation. Simple but pleasant. There's not much to say about it. Some cream is present. Nicely built but in no way ambitious or special.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Too heavy on the palate. Suits the flavours in a general sense, but certainly isn't tailored to them.

Dr: Drinkable but pretty boring for the style. There's nothing new or unique here. It's alright, but I wouldn't have it again. IPA fans might do well to give it a spin, but others should ignore it.

C-

02-19-2012 03:30:58 | More by kojevergas
bobhall78

2.7/5  rDev -22.9%

A- Orange and cloudy, looks more like grapefruit juice then a beer.

S - Citrus much like a grapefruit smells.

T - Citrus, grapefruit, orange peel, medium body with medium bitterness.

M - Smooth, medium /heavy feel in the mouth, but not to overwhelming.

O - Average beer for an IPA, nothing to great, nothing to bad. It's a good mix when drinking the Samuel Adams Brewer's Choice.

04-08-2012 17:27:45 | More by bobhall78
PossumMunsen31

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -22%

Here's another offering from Sammy Adams. I have to say that I was disappointed with this beer. YOu defintely can taste the IPA. Very piny hop taste. It pours a nice inch head. Finish is disappointing. They say there is an addition of apricots which you can barely taste and that addition doesn't add anything...Hmmmm...I thought it would be better. Sam Adams doesn't strike often so I will let this one slide...

02-10-2012 21:06:23 | More by PossumMunsen31
blakelive784

Colorado

2.73/5  rDev -22%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served in a pint glass, reviewed live:

A - Pours a hazy honey golden color with a soapy white 1.5 finger head. Retention is average at best. Looks more like a wit than IPA.

S - Orange, pine, crystal malt, and some other light, tart fruit notes. It's moderate strength, and seems fairly balanced.

T - Though the hops bitterness isn't entirely strong, it's completely imbalanced. The resinous pine note is welcome, but I'm missing the fruits notes I found in the nose. A bit watery, even. Bitter throughout.

M - Thick and almost syrupy. Strange.

D - It's got some really decent flavors going, but the build and balance are really strange. I'll pass on this one in the future.

02-21-2012 01:04:20 | More by blakelive784
SaCkErZ9

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass. White, semi-foamy head recedes at a brisk pace leaving some lacing. Aroma is somewhat hoppy but I get no real American or Belgian influences; smells kind of English. Lasagna, oranges, and grassiness. Tastes kind of bad honestly. Acrid, sour, chalky, very earthy, not great. A huge disappointment from Sam Adams. I am generally a fan of theirs but this one stinks.

05-02-2013 21:51:44 | More by SaCkErZ9
GarthDanielson

2.79/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is unfiltered to the point of opacity. A bright, hazy, orange-yellow coloring with a thin, filmy, bright white surface coating. This almost looks like Orangina. Slow, steady flow of carbonation bubbling throughout. Aromas of basil and pepper spicing on a green and dry hops character and a heavy hand of citrus zest and sweetness. Interesting nose. Flavors are a bit more citrusy. Okay, a lot more citrusy. Very tart lemon character with a hint of sweet orange; this blend barrels over any of the hops and malt that may have been present. Some searching through the palate and you can pick up hints of oregano spice and a touch of a bready backbone, but barely. The tart flavors build as you drink, so it makes it difficult to further explore flavor profiles. The aftertaste is the bitter and tart citrus character once again, almost with an acidic edge. Quick, dry finish with a linger to the citrus. This one gets tough to drink towards the end.

02-28-2013 20:59:15 | More by GarthDanielson
ale1

2.81/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

poured into malt glass, pours a good head afterwards does the the bubble show

swirls a fairly good lacing on the glass.

nose citrusy hop cheap wheat malt

artificial carbo it appears

taste big in your face grapefruit citrus hops? then exit to weiss blaaa after taste like barrel dust or something ths stuff is not good save your shillings

01-14-2014 03:02:46 | More by ale1
FlatRabbitRed

Arizona

2.84/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer is like the White Ale turned into an IPA, and it is cloudy - not a bad thing! Some reviews said it was not even an IPA, that's not true at all. There is a lot of hop character going on, maybe the person doing the review got an older bottle (loss of hop flavors and aromas) or they were expecting an extreme IPA west coast style; Ruination, Torpedo, Yellow Snow, Hoptimum, Hop Slam, Pliny, ect.

A very different IPA, in fact this beer goes to show that any extra hopped beer is in fact an IPA.
It was an odd beer for me very light in color, very citrusy, somewhat floral and spicy to the point where it dominated the strong hop flavors. These beers are not enjoyable for me because there is too much going on.

Spiced citrus floral IPA

01-26-2013 20:29:53 | More by FlatRabbitRed
loftisCT

Connecticut

2.85/5  rDev -18.6%

Best by June 2012, Drank January 31, 2012
A: Typical witbier appearance. Bright, cloudy yellow with nice bright white head.
S: There is a lot going on in the smell. It really is like a fruit potpourri. Definitely citrus but also some bright tropical flavors. I have convinced myself I can smell the apricot but likely would not have picked it up if not listed on the bottle. A little grassiness also present. Wheat twang comes in behind the fruit and definitely a sharpness that hints at acidity.
T: The same fruitiness I get in the smell doesn't quite come through in the taste. Still pretty, fruity but a wheaty, biscuity malt backbone is more apparent. The beer, then, turns downhill for me. The wheat and fruit is relatively short lived as a long, astringent finish comes in. A substantial bitterness from the hops collides with the tartness of the wheat malt. The tartness is a lot more than I was expecting, maybe the dryness from the hops seems to amplify it. Regardless, the finish is unpleasant to me. It is really dry and somewhat metallic. I feel like I need a glass of water.
M: Lighter side medium-bodied and highly carbonated. Very crisp but I would like it to work out my palette a tad more.
O: The smell of the beer had me excited but I just really disliked the finish off this beer. The combination of the bitterness and tartness was unpleasant for me.

01-31-2012 19:54:44 | More by loftisCT
Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)