Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: jsh420 on 12-29-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 427 | Hads: 1,891
3.48/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Marginal, I was expecting a lot more. The beer was way too fruity. It looks good, has a nice feel but those are the only positives I found. Really doesn't even taste like a beer one would drink in winter and may be better served as a spring tailgate beer before a baseball game that would taste good after a bunch of Bud Lights and Keystones.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Part of the Hop Tour 6 Pack

A pale cloudy orange color, moderate visible carbonation, little head, decent amount of lacing around the edges that sticks to the glass most of the way down.

The smell is minimal but that of fruit, wheat, and hops. The taste is more pronounced, with layers of wheat followed by apricot and orange zest. It finishes mildly sweet with a slight hop bite at the end. Nothing super strong.

Lighter mouth feel with again noticeable carbonation on your tongue.

Overall, didn't blow me away, but it was part of a Hop Tour 6 Pack that was pretty fun. It was nice to put these 3 beers next to each other and see the difference. This was more of a hop study than an outright delicious beer tasting to me.

Won't seek out and purchase again most likely, but would drink if available.

4.78/5  rDev +32.4%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

Look: Absolutely beautiful. A nice hazy unfiltered golden orange color. There is a lot of sediment hanging around in the beer, but I personally love that. Poured a nice half inch of white head that lingered and left nice lacing.

Smell: Smells like summertime. Very piney with subtle undertones of citrus. Although I did have difficulty smelling it once poured into glass.

Taste: Orange is extremely prominent in the flavor. It follows the nose well, but this time with citrus leading the way and the hops following behind. Very good attempt at mixing Belgium wheat and IPA.

Feel: Very crisp, very refreshing and smooth. Coats the mouth perfectly.

Overall: Sam Adams has always been really hit or miss with me, more so on the miss. This is by far the best I've had by them.

4.28/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I like this as a summer IPA (if there is such a thing). This has a fresh, clear taste that strikes sits on my tongue and leaves a bright aftertaste. I can't explain why, but I don't appreciate that taste in colder weather and seek hardier, heavier, hoppier brews in the cold weather.

3.33/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: 3.75 - Very hazy gold with a dense half inch head... in fact, looking at it, there's an incredible amount of sediment hanging in the beer, rather sooty looking. Marking it down off what I was inclined to score at the start.
S: 3.25 - Very little aroma, even putting my nose right up to the foam. A light lemonish scent, perhaps.
T: 3.25 - Sharply bitter initially, giving way to a typical SA house yeast flavor, but little hop taste.
M: 3.75 - Light bodied, nice light feel for a good drinking texture.
O: 3.25 - Not a very good beer, which is too bad, as SA has produced some decent IPAs recently.

3.93/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Hazy, unfiltered light orange. 1 1/2 finger off-white head.
S: Strong pine notes, berry, and slight orange zest.
T: Taste follows the nose, with the orange becoming more prominent in the flavor. Bold hop flavor that is just a touch less than their Latitude 48. Caramel malt in the middle.
M: Medium body, slight IPA aftertaste. The orange is prominent, but doesn't add much to an already citrusy IPA.
O: Okay. The blend of two styles is interesting, but it is a little too bitter to be a belgian white. I guess Wheat IPA is the proper term.

White IPAs are my all time favorite type of beer. They are not always the most easy to find in stores (I usually find them in summer months in breweries/on tap), so I thought I'd give Samuel Adams a go. And, this was by far one of my least favorite beers I have ever tried. It tastes like straight up orange peels, no depth at all. Disappointed.

Pours out to a creamy white head that laces. Color is a hazy yellow-orange. Aroma is fruity and citrus and pine as you would expect. it smells great. Flavor is what you would e expect from an apricot IPA and more: complex fruits, malts, and hop flavors of pine, apricot. Good call.

3.25/5  rDev -10%

Another brew from the Hopology series, not as good as some of the others, but still a great brew. Poured a nice orange color with an awesome white foam head. Aroma is of pine and citrus. Flavor is hoppy and a bit bitter from citrus peel?. I like it, it has a decent finish but is just a tad to bitter and off balanced on the finish. Overall, a very good beer from Boston Beer !!!

3.25/5  rDev -10%

12 oz bottle from the "Hopology" sampler pack, poured in a pint glass. Golden orange with a very foamy head. I can smell some apricot and citrus notes (as stated on the label). Taste is strong at first, with a combo of spices, and obviously, hops. I'm not sure I noticed a lot of wheat here. Noticeable bitterness, probably from the orange peel (or maybe yeast?). Overall, a decent beer. However, the aftertaste had a distracting chemical tinge that I didn't like.

3.21/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bright hazy beer very foamy great lacing. Smells citrus and grassy. Nearly sour with a yeasty bite. Curious flavoring. Bitter. Unripe grapes and green citrus. Body is medium light. Carbonation has a bite. It doesn't have a flavor profile that I'm a fan if but it's clean and one or two may be decent on a hot day.

3.62/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a hazy medium golden amber with a half finger white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of orange citrus, apricot, mild caramel, slightly vegetal. Flavor is mild caramel malt, orange family citrus juice and rind, apricot and grassy hops. Finishes with citrus rind and citrus hop bitterness. Medium bodied with light creaminess, nice mouth feel. There is a light Belgian influence here that may be Belgian yeast or very light Belgian spices, but overall n unusual amalgam of flavors that don't quite fit together and a finish that is slightly astringent. In its favor is a nice blend of orange citrus flavors and light apricot. Interesting but doesn't quite come together.

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz bottle poured into A lager glass.

A - Hazy yellow-gold. Two inch white head that keeps retention throughout. Nice lacing.

S - Citrus and pine.

T - Slightly sweet fruit and malt ends in an unpleasant bitterness. Almost like ashes.

M - Medium/full

O - This is how it was after five minutes. The first few sips were tremendously hoppy. Let it sit a few minutes to savor it fully. Didn't care for the bitter aftertaste.

2.87/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

appearance is golden, a bit cloudy. Looks as if there are slight debris floating in dense beer. The smell reminds me of some bad orange juice. Not too appeasing. At least the taste is strong as an IPA should be. Hints of citrus then immediately goes downhill. Old musty OJ is all I think.
I would not recommend to a friend bottom line.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this for helping my folks move - normally don't drink Sam Adams, find them to be hit and miss for the most part, but I do actually like this one.

Poured into a tall goblet with a nice head that sank after a minute or two, leaving some lacing and a sheet of bubbles on the surface. Slightly cloudy, and not a lot of visible carbonation other than the initial head on the thing. The label proclaims it to be part of their "Hopology Collection," which I find just the slightest bit cheesy, and other than that notes that it is a wheat ale brewed with apricots and spices.

The apricots come through right away, along with hops and yeast, lemony-orange citrus aroma. I don't detect major spice notes, but I can't really say I ever do on these Belgian-styles that say they are brewed with spices; I think I just associate those aromas with the style and not really any particular spice, but whatever they spiced this with isn't listed on the bottle so I may never know.

Tastes good, citrusy, and again, the apricot really comes through, which I'm enjoying. It's like you get hops in the finish and then the apricot kind of sticks on your tongue for a while. Mouthfeel is medium and I think they've done well for an ale under 6%, not dissatisfied with the mouthfeel at all. Will say that as it warms up it really starts to break down into some base flavors that are not too pleasing, so drink it cold and fast.

Think it's a fine beer, certainly a refresher for moving day, and I wouldn't turn one down. I personally wouldn't buy this because I'm not a huge fan of white IPA's, but it's good and I think the apricot component is a nice touch. Nice job, SA.

I detect a fairly strong hint of grapefruit. I enjoy it. It's definitely an IPA. I just enjoyed one with some Doritos. It's pretty good. I'm running out of things to say. I don't understand why my review must be at least 250 words. But seriously, it's a good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color- cloudy apricot. Medium head.

Aroma- apricot pit, dry, with hint of grapefruit.

Taste- A refreshing brew! Starts with apricot notes, then transitions to a buttery mid-body, finishing with a dry yet mild grapefruit bitterness.

Poured from 355 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 6/30/2013.

3.82/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

BBD 8/14. Light amber (golden) pour with a haze. Massive head with well retained lacing. The nose is apricot with other tropical notes over a light pine. Almost medium bodied and smooth textured with an above average carbonation level that imparts a nice effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is complex and well balanced. It begins with a blend of hops noted in the nose with the citrus ones the primary focus. In the middle, pine comes to the forefront over a light biscuit sweetness. The finish is almost crisp and ends with a pleasant bitterness of pine and grapefruit rind with a touch of pepper. A very good, but not quite outstanding, IPA.

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Hazy yellow color, some head, but thin, and died out. Did leave some lace on the glass.
Smells of hops, grapefruit, and oranges.
Tast was some bitterness from the hops.
Medium body, with some carbonation.
Was ok, for me, not into hoppy beers, but could tolerate it.

3.84/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a hazy straw color with two big fingers of fluffy white head. The head seemed to linger forever and left really nice lacing when it finally receded. The nose is hoppy. The body is light, but the flavor profile is tasty and hoppy. The finish has a solid bitterness that tingles the tongue. This is not a spectacular offering, but it is certainly solid.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, best before May 2014. A friend gave a bottle of this to me the other day, so we'll see how this is. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The brew smells like citrusy (orange, grapefruit) and pine hops, apricots, and some bready malt. I think the taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also a bit of peppery spice noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. I think it's a decent enough IPA. I wouldn't turn one down, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find some, either. Still, I think it's worth trying if you've never had it before.

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Orange-ish yellow with a one-finger head
S: On the lighter side though there are distinct citrus and pine hop notes with a bit of malt
T: Matches the nose, adds a bit of earth but overall a touch subdued
M: Light-medium bodied with a nice crispness and a moderately long finish
O: A decent every-day IPA, worth drinking if included in a sampler as this was; no flaws but there are more interesting examples of the style out there

3.33/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours well, however has a cloudy orange bronze tint to it and had about 5/8 inch of head when poured into a 16oz pilsner glass.

Smell: Had a light to semi moderate stout smell. Also had a hint of nuts and slight earthy smell to it. As some have stated they smelled of an orange however myself I couldn't smell it.

Taste: My first taste was medium hoppy with a hint of citrus type flavor which tasted like tangerine to me. I tasted a hint of nutty flavor that resemble mixed nuts. However the flavor was overpowered by the hoppiness of the hops.

Mouthfeel: had a slight hit of bitterness in my mouth, and the whitewater had a bit of a light sourness to my tongue.

Overall: I wasn't to thrilled with this particular brew, to me to needs some light improvements perhaps in the hops area which I believe overpowered the other flavors of the brew. I only recommend this brew if you want to try something new but other than that I dont recommend it for a beer enthusiast who loves trying good beers.

*note: I am not a professional beer taster, the opinions in this review are mine and mine alone

3.73/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle from the Hopology Mix 24 pack. Pours a cloudy burnt orange color with a half inch of head. Good amount of lacing. The aroma is light orange and grapefruit with some bready malts. Not a huge nose. The taste is apricots and orange at first followed by light grapefruit and some toasted malts. Bready near the end with a grapefruit finish. Hints of banana. Mouthfeel is a tiny bit on the heavier side for the normal Sam Adams line up, but not much. Overall, pretty decent brew I may buy a six pack of when summer hits.

4.24/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-Dirty orange body with great gradation scale of color. One-to-two fingers of creamy white head. Light lacing is spotty and falls in a cascading fashion.

S-Hops. Mandarin. Tangerine. Peach. Orange. Pine. Dank. Caramel malt wafts. Could be more aromatic. A bit musty smelling. But fruits and pine make smell the stand-out trait.

T-Mandarin orange. Fresh bitter hops are piney. Light grapefruit. White bread. A lot of pine that's a plus. But evident malt, (not sunken and hidden) should be here. Also benefitting would be fruits that are strong and on-par like the smells' fruits are.

M-Medium body. Fluid and creamy both. Medium-low carbonation. Typical sweet/sours of citrus start the sip, a sweet bready middle leads to a smooth pine finish that leaves a numb peppery hop bite. A medicinal crushed pill bitter is the after-feel.

O-Not getting the witbier taste here. The obvious orange in witbier is tasted but no coriander and wheat. Whitewater IPA is essentially an orange fruit, (orange, tangerine, mandarin, apricot, etc.) IPA in my book. A decent good beer I'd buy in a Sam Seasonal Box or Hopology Mixed Six Pack, not sure if a whole sixer though. More tastes will determine.

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)