Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: jsh420 on 12-29-2011)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA Alström Bros
abgba121

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev +15.5%

A: pours a hazy olden color just as described by sam adams, about one cm of white head

S: I can smell the faint hops, strong yeast presence, slightly sweet and fruity

T: sweet right at the start, yeasts and fruits are apparent, then the hops come into play powerfully to take over the rest of the taste, piney and resiny with light citrus tones. A great tasting beer

M: average body, good carbonation

O: a great ipa, I like this offering by sam adams, whereas for me their seasonal 12 packs usually disappoint

02-12-2012 05:49:55 | More by abgba121
woodychandler

3.83/5  rDev +9.7%

The Resin is wearing off and I am CANtemplating a side-by-side later if my local still has it flowing out of the tap. In the meantime, I am trying to get right and I hope that this will help. Good God, y'all!

From the bottle: "This hazy brew combines the crisp character of a white ale with the intense pine & citrus flavors of an India Pale Ale. We took this unique combination to a new level with the subtle addition of apricots [(!)], which provide a slight sweetness to balance the bitterness of the hops. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch"

I may or may not have done myself a favor by agitating this beer before the pour. When I read any mention of a white ale ahead of time, I find that the agitation helps. In this case, I had two fingers of dense, eggshell-white head with beautiful retention. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow, like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose was an interesting admixture of everything Mr. Koch mentioned - pine, citrus, a jammy fruitiness and even some black pepper, perhaps from the yeast. It actually caused me to sneeze, so you may not want your schnozz deep in it. Mouthfeel was medium and the blending of flavors worked, but I am not sure that I can do it justice. It was a swirl of flavors on the tongue with the hops leading the way, but then I got that peppery taste and the body label reads: "Wheat Ale Brewed With Apricots & Spices". Spices, eh?!? I get them, but I cannot pinpoint them. I would have otherwise attributed them to the yeast strain. It was on the finish that the apricots really got a chance to shine, offsetting an otherwise intensely dry beer. I liked it, but one was probably plenty, unlike my current addiction to Resin and I am looking to score here real soon. That's about it for this one, my peeps. Hang in!

02-11-2012 21:05:19 | More by woodychandler

02-10-2012 21:39:57 | More by Brewsed
PossumMunsen31

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -21.8%

Here's another offering from Sammy Adams. I have to say that I was disappointed with this beer. YOu defintely can taste the IPA. Very piny hop taste. It pours a nice inch head. Finish is disappointing. They say there is an addition of apricots which you can barely taste and that addition doesn't add anything...Hmmmm...I thought it would be better. Sam Adams doesn't strike often so I will let this one slide...

02-10-2012 21:06:23 | More by PossumMunsen31
russwbeck

2.58/5  rDev -26.1%

A: Hazy yellow pour into my perfect pint glass with about a finger of frothy white head. Decent retention, but only spotty lacing. Decent amount of bubbles race to the top of the beer from the bottom of the glass well after pouring.

S: The smell is, well like an IPA, but not a very good one. Lemony, nearing soapy with grassy hints.

T: This is pretty average is my first thought. Sort of a weird mix between a pilsner and an IPA. Lemony like the smell, and I'm still getting some soap, but this also has a slight caramel maltiness, which I like.

MF: Slightly bitter finish, light and crisp overall. Not all that drinkable.

O: As part of the brewer's choice mix pack, I think this has a pretty good value. However, as a whole, this mix pack is FAR worse than the Fall or Winter selections.

02-09-2012 23:46:57 | More by russwbeck

JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.48/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this one tonight at Bier Thirty in Bown Crossing... Poured into my small CC goblet... the brew is a very hazed dark golden.... okay head .. but no real lacing...

Nose is pithy grapefruit ... pale malts and some off fruitiness that I guess is the apricot... maybe some peppercorn or even coriander...

Flavor is odd.. a decent brew.. citrus and a bit of coriander.. Nice bitterness and some good hops... the "apricot" makes me think this is back sweetened with apricot nectar... The fruitiness adds to the overall brew but dulls everything else..

This should be a "fruit beer" .. not an IPA... The apricot addition does nothing to accentuate the positives of the hops and low malt profile. And the fruit does nothing but drag a decent beer down.

Just don't dig it.. My biggest prop is that it has pretty great drinkablity.. but everywhere else it is okay at best... Glad I got to try this one fresh.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/

02-09-2012 06:35:11 | More by JohnGalt1
codynevels

02-08-2012 03:22:37 | More by codynevels
cjgator3

4.35/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours a hazy golden orangish color with a nice off-white head. The aroma is citrus a hint of spices and hops. The taste is sweet malt up front with a nice dose of hops in the finish. Overall, a really nice offering from Sam Adams. I would definitely purchase this one again. Recommended!

02-08-2012 02:58:54 | More by cjgator3
speracado

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

02-08-2012 02:08:08 | More by speracado
iBeer16

4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

White water ipa

A: looks like an unfiltered wheaty color with a finger white head that leaves little lacing. 4

S. strong mix of wheat hops and citrus. Citrus aroma includes orange peel and grapefruit

T. great hops! Nice grapefruit/ citrus flavor mixed with a great malt.

M. nice light body. Finishes a bit bitter. Nice carbonation

Overall, this is a sam Adams?! Wow. Very well done, very hopy, great flavor. My favorite Sam Adams hands down

02-08-2012 01:58:17 | More by iBeer16

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

02-07-2012 23:01:07 | More by Celtics76
anth0ny

4.1/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer looks like a Blue Moon on steroids. Light orange and very cloudy with a decent, finger-sized head. It looks very refreshing off the get go. Frosty ,crisp, sudsy.

The aroma is just exploding out of the glass, almost as if the glass is too small to contain it. Magnified smells of orange peel, sweet grapefruit and apricot, pine and floral hops. Light grain. I could huff this.

The taste is pretty much what you would imagine after smelling. Sweet fruits, citrus fruits and pine and floral hops all swing dancing together in harmony, changing partners simultaneously. It's got a full, piney, bitter finish.

It's extremely crisp, medium body and fully carbonated. It's got kick.

Overall, I did not expect this experience from this beer. I was expecting something a bit more mild from Sam Adams, but I was surprised in a good way. I like it.

02-07-2012 06:22:30 | More by anth0ny
gregb13

Trying this for the first time tonight out of the "Brewer's Choice" 12-pack. Whitewater IPA looks very nice in the glass, with a thin, sticky head comprised of tight white bubbles. Smell is all apricot and hops. Taste follows the nose. I do not get much of the white beer qualities; the apricot really dominates the palate, but in a good way.

This tastes similar to Magic Hat #9, just hoppier with a touch more apricot. It is a very good offering from Sam Adams.

02-07-2012 04:35:28 | More by gregb13
thebrood1987

4.43/5  rDev +26.9%

Definitely getting very nice smells of tangerine and apricot mixed in with that white ale coriander cereal wheat malt characteristic that you can kinda smell in blue moon...this of course smells better. It also has the hoppiness tinge to it with the floral citrus but it mixes in with the other fruit in this beer so well it doesnt smell like an overwhelming hop bomb.

I get the spicy hop bite up front with the apricot, coriander fruity sweetness which really reminds you that this is a white ale as well, and then ending with the pine citric bitterness of an IPA. They perfectly blended the two and made sure the hoppyness is well apparent. It also has a cereal wheat malt taste to it as well that really completes the beer.

Samuel Adams really stepping it up these days and this beer is delicious a very solid choice and an even better more interesting beer than just a white ale or just the noble pils. Definitely give it a try.

02-07-2012 03:52:13 | More by thebrood1987
NHSTEVE

New Hampshire

02-07-2012 00:04:13 | More by NHSTEVE
jlenik

02-06-2012 21:34:16 | More by jlenik
Kadonny

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. This was part of the Sam Adams spring pack.

A: A real hazy dark straw color with some orange hints. Glass lacing was full and sticky.

S: Wow, I did not expect this level of hoppiness on the nose. Citrus was abound mixed with some yeastiness and a tad floral. Not getting any apricot as it states on the label.

T: This is a nice hoppy beer, surprise! Huge amounts of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, grassy tones and some floral hints that mix with the bready sweetness. I pick up some yeasty flavors but not overly done and they mix nicely with the hops. Finish turns bitter but smooth. Nice.

M: Medium mouthfeel with perfect carbonation and no trace of alcohol.

O: A real nice SA beer that I really enjoyed. This was a keeper for sure and one of the hoppier offerings I've ever had from Boston Brewing. Winning!

This is the beer that should be the new spring seasonal release instead of the Alpine Spring which I was not nearly impressed with. This one however is a beer SA should be promoting more. Loved it.

02-06-2012 15:11:09 | More by Kadonny
MaineMike

Maine

02-06-2012 04:11:50 | More by MaineMike
brotherloco

02-06-2012 00:18:46 | More by brotherloco
Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)