Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: jsh420 on 12-29-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a hazy light yellow color with a one finger, frothy head. Good lacing and head retention.

S- Normal IPA hops scents, with floral and citrus tones. Prominent sweetness is there with the hops. Definite fruity tones of oranges and apricots/peaches.

T- Not a lot of depth here, but good flavor. Only slight hops bitterness intermingled with sweet fruit notes. Apricots are definitely there and oranges are also somewhat present. Coriander also comes through on the palate. Ends with a slight hops bite.

M- Kind of watery and struggles to support the hops bitterness. Could be a little thicker and smoother. Carbonation is adequate for the flavor profile and they work together well.

Overall, not a bad attempt at a "white IPA." If it weren't for the apricot and coriander flavor, this beer would not be very good at all.

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

A: I was surprised to see how hazy and light it looked.
S: Pretty standard hoppy floral. No offputting smells
T: Hops actually are a not as pertinent as in other IPAs. A slight sweetness as to it as well.
m: the lingering spiciness is a little offputting but otherwise it sits well.

Overall a unique IPA. Easy and fun to drink

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

2.85/5  rDev -18.1%

12oz Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

a: Hazy, golden and unfiltered. A good two fingers of head.

s: Light bittering overtones with a bit of fruit.

t: Immediate bursts of fruits, strawberries and apples, in the amount of which would be found in a sparkling wine. I find it a bit overwhelming but at the last minute it seems to be balanced by a somewhat generous and well balanced hop hit. The apricots poke their head out in the aftertaste.

m: A bit of the dry side but a reasonable amount of body for the style and in spite of the fruitiness.

o: I'm a bit torn with this one, I really want to like it but in the end it disappoints and to me is yet another mediocre brew that might have turned out amazing but in the end I imagine was comprised to have more mass appeal. While it sounds great on paper, we are left with an otherwise creative and exciting beer left in limbo.

3.98/5  rDev +14.4%

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Pours a pale golden color, soapy white froth gives way to an impressive display of lace. Aroma is also quite good and full of floral, citrus, and pine notes, with some sweet bready malts. In the taste, solid oily hop flavor, some spicy notes, grapefruit and pine too. Has a little spice twang to it, which is present in many Samuel Adams beers. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and somewhat crisp. Overall, this is a very worthy IPA from Boston Beer Company. Always welcome in my fridge.

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

A: pours a hazy olden color just as described by sam adams, about one cm of white head

S: I can smell the faint hops, strong yeast presence, slightly sweet and fruity

T: sweet right at the start, yeasts and fruits are apparent, then the hops come into play powerfully to take over the rest of the taste, piney and resiny with light citrus tones. A great tasting beer

M: average body, good carbonation

O: a great ipa, I like this offering by sam adams, whereas for me their seasonal 12 packs usually disappoint

3.83/5  rDev +10.1%

The Resin is wearing off and I am CANtemplating a side-by-side later if my local still has it flowing out of the tap. In the meantime, I am trying to get right and I hope that this will help. Good God, y'all!

From the bottle: "This hazy brew combines the crisp character of a white ale with the intense pine & citrus flavors of an India Pale Ale. We took this unique combination to a new level with the subtle addition of apricots [(!)], which provide a slight sweetness to balance the bitterness of the hops. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch"

I may or may not have done myself a favor by agitating this beer before the pour. When I read any mention of a white ale ahead of time, I find that the agitation helps. In this case, I had two fingers of dense, eggshell-white head with beautiful retention. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow, like fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose was an interesting admixture of everything Mr. Koch mentioned - pine, citrus, a jammy fruitiness and even some black pepper, perhaps from the yeast. It actually caused me to sneeze, so you may not want your schnozz deep in it. Mouthfeel was medium and the blending of flavors worked, but I am not sure that I can do it justice. It was a swirl of flavors on the tongue with the hops leading the way, but then I got that peppery taste and the body label reads: "Wheat Ale Brewed With Apricots & Spices". Spices, eh?!? I get them, but I cannot pinpoint them. I would have otherwise attributed them to the yeast strain. It was on the finish that the apricots really got a chance to shine, offsetting an otherwise intensely dry beer. I liked it, but one was probably plenty, unlike my current addiction to Resin and I am looking to score here real soon. That's about it for this one, my peeps. Hang in!

2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

Here's another offering from Sammy Adams. I have to say that I was disappointed with this beer. YOu defintely can taste the IPA. Very piny hop taste. It pours a nice inch head. Finish is disappointing. They say there is an addition of apricots which you can barely taste and that addition doesn't add anything...Hmmmm...I thought it would be better. Sam Adams doesn't strike often so I will let this one slide...

2.58/5  rDev -25.9%

A: Hazy yellow pour into my perfect pint glass with about a finger of frothy white head. Decent retention, but only spotty lacing. Decent amount of bubbles race to the top of the beer from the bottom of the glass well after pouring.

S: The smell is, well like an IPA, but not a very good one. Lemony, nearing soapy with grassy hints.

T: This is pretty average is my first thought. Sort of a weird mix between a pilsner and an IPA. Lemony like the smell, and I'm still getting some soap, but this also has a slight caramel maltiness, which I like.

MF: Slightly bitter finish, light and crisp overall. Not all that drinkable.

O: As part of the brewer's choice mix pack, I think this has a pretty good value. However, as a whole, this mix pack is FAR worse than the Fall or Winter selections.

3.48/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found this one tonight at Bier Thirty in Bown Crossing... Poured into my small CC goblet... the brew is a very hazed dark golden.... okay head .. but no real lacing...

Nose is pithy grapefruit ... pale malts and some off fruitiness that I guess is the apricot... maybe some peppercorn or even coriander...

Flavor is odd.. a decent brew.. citrus and a bit of coriander.. Nice bitterness and some good hops... the "apricot" makes me think this is back sweetened with apricot nectar... The fruitiness adds to the overall brew but dulls everything else..

This should be a "fruit beer" .. not an IPA... The apricot addition does nothing to accentuate the positives of the hops and low malt profile. And the fruit does nothing but drag a decent beer down.

Just don't dig it.. My biggest prop is that it has pretty great drinkablity.. but everywhere else it is okay at best... Glad I got to try this one fresh.

3/3.5/3.5/3.5/3.5/

4.35/5  rDev +25%

Pours a hazy golden orangish color with a nice off-white head. The aroma is citrus a hint of spices and hops. The taste is sweet malt up front with a nice dose of hops in the finish. Overall, a really nice offering from Sam Adams. I would definitely purchase this one again. Recommended!

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

White water ipa

A: looks like an unfiltered wheaty color with a finger white head that leaves little lacing. 4

S. strong mix of wheat hops and citrus. Citrus aroma includes orange peel and grapefruit

T. great hops! Nice grapefruit/ citrus flavor mixed with a great malt.

M. nice light body. Finishes a bit bitter. Nice carbonation

Overall, this is a sam Adams?! Wow. Very well done, very hopy, great flavor. My favorite Sam Adams hands down

4.5/5  rDev +29.3%

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)