Follow our progress ...

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
3.6

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Added by jsh420 on 12-29-2011

Reviews: 441 | Ratings: 1,962
3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz bottle poured into A lager glass.

A - Hazy yellow-gold. Two inch white head that keeps retention throughout. Nice lacing.

S - Citrus and pine.

T - Slightly sweet fruit and malt ends in an unpleasant bitterness. Almost like ashes.

M - Medium/full

O - This is how it was after five minutes. The first few sips were tremendously hoppy. Let it sit a few minutes to savor it fully. Didn't care for the bitter aftertaste.

2.87/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

appearance is golden, a bit cloudy. Looks as if there are slight debris floating in dense beer. The smell reminds me of some bad orange juice. Not too appeasing. At least the taste is strong as an IPA should be. Hints of citrus then immediately goes downhill. Old musty OJ is all I think.
I would not recommend to a friend bottom line.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got this for helping my folks move - normally don't drink Sam Adams, find them to be hit and miss for the most part, but I do actually like this one.

Poured into a tall goblet with a nice head that sank after a minute or two, leaving some lacing and a sheet of bubbles on the surface. Slightly cloudy, and not a lot of visible carbonation other than the initial head on the thing. The label proclaims it to be part of their "Hopology Collection," which I find just the slightest bit cheesy, and other than that notes that it is a wheat ale brewed with apricots and spices.

The apricots come through right away, along with hops and yeast, lemony-orange citrus aroma. I don't detect major spice notes, but I can't really say I ever do on these Belgian-styles that say they are brewed with spices; I think I just associate those aromas with the style and not really any particular spice, but whatever they spiced this with isn't listed on the bottle so I may never know.

Tastes good, citrusy, and again, the apricot really comes through, which I'm enjoying. It's like you get hops in the finish and then the apricot kind of sticks on your tongue for a while. Mouthfeel is medium and I think they've done well for an ale under 6%, not dissatisfied with the mouthfeel at all. Will say that as it warms up it really starts to break down into some base flavors that are not too pleasing, so drink it cold and fast.

Think it's a fine beer, certainly a refresher for moving day, and I wouldn't turn one down. I personally wouldn't buy this because I'm not a huge fan of white IPA's, but it's good and I think the apricot component is a nice touch. Nice job, SA.

I detect a fairly strong hint of grapefruit. I enjoy it. It's definitely an IPA. I just enjoyed one with some Doritos. It's pretty good. I'm running out of things to say. I don't understand why my review must be at least 250 words. But seriously, it's a good beer.

3.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Color- cloudy apricot. Medium head.

Aroma- apricot pit, dry, with hint of grapefruit.

Taste- A refreshing brew! Starts with apricot notes, then transitions to a buttery mid-body, finishing with a dry yet mild grapefruit bitterness.

Poured from 355 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 6/30/2013.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

BBD 8/14. Light amber (golden) pour with a haze. Massive head with well retained lacing. The nose is apricot with other tropical notes over a light pine. Almost medium bodied and smooth textured with an above average carbonation level that imparts a nice effervescence on the finish. The flavor profile is complex and well balanced. It begins with a blend of hops noted in the nose with the citrus ones the primary focus. In the middle, pine comes to the forefront over a light biscuit sweetness. The finish is almost crisp and ends with a pleasant bitterness of pine and grapefruit rind with a touch of pepper. A very good, but not quite outstanding, IPA.

3.38/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Hazy yellow color, some head, but thin, and died out. Did leave some lace on the glass.
Smells of hops, grapefruit, and oranges.
Tast was some bitterness from the hops.
Medium body, with some carbonation.
Was ok, for me, not into hoppy beers, but could tolerate it.

3.84/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a hazy straw color with two big fingers of fluffy white head. The head seemed to linger forever and left really nice lacing when it finally receded. The nose is hoppy. The body is light, but the flavor profile is tasty and hoppy. The finish has a solid bitterness that tingles the tongue. This is not a spectacular offering, but it is certainly solid.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, best before May 2014. A friend gave a bottle of this to me the other day, so we'll see how this is. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a cloudy golden/orange color with an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The brew smells like citrusy (orange, grapefruit) and pine hops, apricots, and some bready malt. I think the taste is similar to the aroma, but there's also a bit of peppery spice noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's slick and creamy with moderate carbonation. I think it's a decent enough IPA. I wouldn't turn one down, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find some, either. Still, I think it's worth trying if you've never had it before.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Orange-ish yellow with a one-finger head
S: On the lighter side though there are distinct citrus and pine hop notes with a bit of malt
T: Matches the nose, adds a bit of earth but overall a touch subdued
M: Light-medium bodied with a nice crispness and a moderately long finish
O: A decent every-day IPA, worth drinking if included in a sampler as this was; no flaws but there are more interesting examples of the style out there

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours well, however has a cloudy orange bronze tint to it and had about 5/8 inch of head when poured into a 16oz pilsner glass.

Smell: Had a light to semi moderate stout smell. Also had a hint of nuts and slight earthy smell to it. As some have stated they smelled of an orange however myself I couldn't smell it.

Taste: My first taste was medium hoppy with a hint of citrus type flavor which tasted like tangerine to me. I tasted a hint of nutty flavor that resemble mixed nuts. However the flavor was overpowered by the hoppiness of the hops.

Mouthfeel: had a slight hit of bitterness in my mouth, and the whitewater had a bit of a light sourness to my tongue.

Overall: I wasn't to thrilled with this particular brew, to me to needs some light improvements perhaps in the hops area which I believe overpowered the other flavors of the brew. I only recommend this brew if you want to try something new but other than that I dont recommend it for a beer enthusiast who loves trying good beers.

*note: I am not a professional beer taster, the opinions in this review are mine and mine alone

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle from the Hopology Mix 24 pack. Pours a cloudy burnt orange color with a half inch of head. Good amount of lacing. The aroma is light orange and grapefruit with some bready malts. Not a huge nose. The taste is apricots and orange at first followed by light grapefruit and some toasted malts. Bready near the end with a grapefruit finish. Hints of banana. Mouthfeel is a tiny bit on the heavier side for the normal Sam Adams line up, but not much. Overall, pretty decent brew I may buy a six pack of when summer hits.

4.24/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A-Dirty orange body with great gradation scale of color. One-to-two fingers of creamy white head. Light lacing is spotty and falls in a cascading fashion.

S-Hops. Mandarin. Tangerine. Peach. Orange. Pine. Dank. Caramel malt wafts. Could be more aromatic. A bit musty smelling. But fruits and pine make smell the stand-out trait.

T-Mandarin orange. Fresh bitter hops are piney. Light grapefruit. White bread. A lot of pine that's a plus. But evident malt, (not sunken and hidden) should be here. Also benefitting would be fruits that are strong and on-par like the smells' fruits are.

M-Medium body. Fluid and creamy both. Medium-low carbonation. Typical sweet/sours of citrus start the sip, a sweet bready middle leads to a smooth pine finish that leaves a numb peppery hop bite. A medicinal crushed pill bitter is the after-feel.

O-Not getting the witbier taste here. The obvious orange in witbier is tasted but no coriander and wheat. Whitewater IPA is essentially an orange fruit, (orange, tangerine, mandarin, apricot, etc.) IPA in my book. A decent good beer I'd buy in a Sam Seasonal Box or Hopology Mixed Six Pack, not sure if a whole sixer though. More tastes will determine.

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adam's Whitewater IPA 6pk bottles $9.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. freshness date marked as a notch. i prefer a printed date.

pours a hazy golden almost light orange color. put some air between the bottle and your glass. leaves a three finger thick peach white head that lingers for a while. looks like cream in my cup. leaving spider web lacing all around the bulb of my glass. very appealing appearance. the head stays around at one finger, thicker and higher towards the center of the glass.

smells like an IPA but toned down a tad with the wheat. i smell citrus fruits, like grapefruit. hoppy. wheaty-piney hints. smells good.

it tastes good. the taste mirrors the smell. as most IPA's do. starts hoppy and fruity with a malty wheat backbone. ends bitter and dry like an IPA should.

mouth feel is so so. fairly light bodied for an IPA but than again it is only 5.8%ABV. i don't have any complaints. good carbonation. however nothing real special here.

overall good brew. not a real good IPA. Rebel is much better. but this is a hybrid IPA. wheat being added. the appearance is great. amazing head and lacing, cloudy due to the wheat. the smell is that of an IPA. the taste is good but nothing real special. same with mouth feel. i would buy this again due to it being a hybrid IPA. but for IPA's i will stick to what i know and love.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA is my second ever IPA. I hope this goes better than my initial experience with a brew I will not mention as to not slam it. As it pours from the bottle into a stein, I see a beautifully rich off-white head with wonderful lacing properties.

Smell is pine and citrus, what I'd expect. Nothing explosive here, just the right amount. Great job done here to the brewers.

Tastes like grapefruit while still having the apricot chime in that was mentioned on the label. The bitterness does its job for this IPA, but it doesn't push my limits like my first one. This is enough to get the job done without making it hard to exhale, another plus. Also, I can truly feel the hop oils in my mouth that IPA fans speak of.

Mouthfeel is lighter but with a dash of pleasant creaminess. I really like that.

Overall, I give my 2nd ever IPA a 3.5 since it was much better than my first , but not a life-changer either. Might I note that the creamy, bubbly head remains the entire time with ladders also gracing the inner glass.

3.1/5  rDev -13.9%

Best by Aug 2014 at 40 degrees into Imperial pint
Aroma nicely citrus with some pine
Head large (7 cm), white, creamy, slowly diminishing to a 2 cm layer with valleys
Lacing good, many large chunks with tiny to small bubbles
Body light yellow, hazy
Flavor begins with a hint of apricot but quickly subsides leaving a bitter chalky aftertaste; no alcohol, no malt, no diacetyl
Palate light to medium, watery, carbonation soft

A not very special wheat-based IPA: aroma and appearance help to overcome an abysmal taste to bring up the overall rating.

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked up a single in early February from Fry's as part of a mixed sixer for $1.50. Best by June 2014.

Beer poured cloudy orange with a frothy white head that is hanging around.

Nose has hints of citrus.

Taste is grapefruit and pine forward which overcome the modest wheat base.

Mouthfeel is very creamy and smooth for the style.

Overall this is a pretty good smaller ipa, definitely give it a shot.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Pours a hazy amber gold with a 2-inch creamy off-white head. The head settled rapidly to an 1/8 inch. Looks like a wheat-ale but the nose has a strong hop presence. Some suggestion of citrus and apricot does break through the hop. Medium-light body with significant bitter hops on the palate. The palate suggests neither IPA nor Witbier. My palate is confused, but that may be the intent. It is very short with only a very slight lingering of sweet malt. Very nice Belgian lace does form.

3.52/5  rDev -2.2%

Had this poured out of the bottle into a pint glass, my twelfth beer from Sam. Pretty good times, a milder, crisp IPA for spring. Lighter brownish-yellow color. Not as hoppy as most IPAs, as one would expect from the aroma and color. Very hazy in its appearance, different.

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Acquired as part of a "Spring Brews" assortment.

A - Hazy straw color with a rich head and great lacing.

S - A burst of pine with some citrus and malt.

T - Pine start with a sweet malt finish.

M - A little on the thin side but acceptable.

O - A decent enough IPA - I drank it at "garage" temperature (58F) and it really allowed the flavors to come out.

4.01/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Best before June 2014.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into a Harpoon IPA glass.

a: Hazy gold with a two inch tall white head which receded slowly to rocky surface foam

s; Moderate citrus and pine

t: Grapefruit bitterness up front over medium malt/wheat? base. Bitterness lingers all over the mouth.

m: Medium, fine body.

o: A lot of bitterness in this, like sucking a grapefruit. It does mellow out and becomes a good sipper. But a bitter aftertaste lingers even after the last swallow. Most hopheads should be pleased with the near DIPA-level bitterness, especially at the pricepoint.

PS: I am no longer a fan of Sam Adams generally due to their pushing the wrong politics, but this brew, a gift from my IPA-hating daughter, I must admit is outstanding.

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a tulip. Best before JULY 2014.

Pours out quite a hazy bright orange color. Big solid, rocky 2 fingers worth of white head. Great head retention and tons of lacing.

Fairly light aroma. Piney, slightly resinous. Some citrus peel and a bit of apricot.

Starts with a bit of pine and citrus hops which is followed by a tangy wheat grain/ cereal grain flavor. Finishes with quite a bit of citrus, perhaps citrus peel, not necessarily orange peel, more lemon. Some lingering hop bitterness. As it warms there's definatly an apricot flavor that comes in more

Light, slightly bitey carbonation, easy drinking.

On par with what I expected from a Sam Adams IPA, nothing really more to say.

3.16/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Much like many people who rated this beer I purchased it in a variety pack. I was pretty excited with this beer and pulled it out first. Unfortunately, disappointment set it after the second sip.

A-Pours a light yellow that turns into a bronze color. Weak white, foamy head that quickly disappears.

S-The smell is fruity and quite pleasant.

T-The taste is okay initially but quickly fades just like the head did. I rate off of the first couple sips or else this would be substantially lower.

M-Weak and empty.

O-It would not be a beer I would purchase again but have another to get down in the variety pack.

2.06/5  rDev -42.8%

Came in a twelve pack (bottles) of seasonal varieties. This beer has ittle discernible bitterness or hops taste with a strong grapefruit aftertaste. This is supposed to be an IPA? We all know citrus doesn't go with beer, right? Very unpleasant. Sam Adams seems to be dumbing down their beer for those with more plebeian tastes, but I don't know who the target audience is for this one.

3.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Deep golden cloudy orange. Nice white head, thick sticky lace throughout the entire beer.

Pine and hops on the nose and just like the bottle says "apricots"...actually a pretty heavy apricot perfume, interesting.

A hit of bitter hops up front followed by apricots and orange zest. A hint of sweetness (the orange). Even carbonation, nice balance. Dry, bitter, hoppy finish over runs the sweet character of this beer finishing more like a sour grapefruit...bitterness hangs on the tongue long after you've finished your swallow.

All in all a pretty solid IPA, easy to drink, nicely balanced between the hoppy bitters and the fruit in the middle and nose. Maybe just a little to "dry" on the finish? I'm a fan of SA IPAs and this one isn't their best but still a nice beer in their line up/style.

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)