Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPASamuel Adams Whitewater IPA

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: jsh420 on 12-29-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA Alström Bros

4.42/5  rDev +27%

Definitely getting very nice smells of tangerine and apricot mixed in with that white ale coriander cereal wheat malt characteristic that you can kinda smell in blue moon...this of course smells better. It also has the hoppiness tinge to it with the floral citrus but it mixes in with the other fruit in this beer so well it doesnt smell like an overwhelming hop bomb.

I get the spicy hop bite up front with the apricot, coriander fruity sweetness which really reminds you that this is a white ale as well, and then ending with the pine citric bitterness of an IPA. They perfectly blended the two and made sure the hoppyness is well apparent. It also has a cereal wheat malt taste to it as well that really completes the beer.

Samuel Adams really stepping it up these days and this beer is delicious a very solid choice and an even better more interesting beer than just a white ale or just the noble pils. Definitely give it a try.

4.42/5  rDev +27%

Found in the new Brewmaster variety pack. Pours out a hazy gold color, like a typical Witbier. Some decent lacing on the glass. The smell is what initially grabbed me, big piney hops, some faint clove and spice. I can also detect some sweet fruityness from the apricot. Actually a neat smelling beer. Anyway, the taste is a really interesting interplay between the heavy citric hops and the crispness of the wheat and the sweetness from the apricot. Reminds me of my first craft beer I really liked from Sam, the discontinued Stock Ale. I always detected a lot of apricot in there, even though there wasn't any, lol. I have to say I am impressed, but I am not sure I would or wouldn't want this sold in the six pack? I see that they have made the Alpine Spring the new spring seasonal, also an interesting beer. Having tried both I think I would have preferred this as their next spring seasonal. Well, gotta give Jim Koch and Co props for continuing to try new things and I think this one was a big success! Sadly this is the last one in my pack...

4.35/5  rDev +25%

Bright orange in color with a hazy texture. Thick head forms, recedes, then layers the top of the brew with a solid coat of foam. Lacing is sticky, wavy and almost seems to be alive inside the glass.

Fresh, sweet and citric hop aroma. Raw pine needles and apricot come to mind.

Robust hop flavor but not overpowering. Lemon, apricot, pine and raw onion bitterness. Malt is well pronounced as well with a smooth and hearty biscuit-like character. Buttery in the middle. Finish is dry with plenty of lingering hop bitterness. I like that the alcohol is not very strong. Perfect balance.

On the lighter side of medium bodied. Bright and lively carbonation lets all the flavors come through and compliments the hop bitterness. Ever so smooth, goes down like water. Love the dry finish.

Wow! One of Sam Adams best beers to date. Everything about this beer is exceptional. Could drink this any day of the week.

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

Pours a hazy golden orangish color with a nice off-white head. The aroma is citrus a hint of spices and hops. The taste is sweet malt up front with a nice dose of hops in the finish. Overall, a really nice offering from Sam Adams. I would definitely purchase this one again. Recommended!

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Bought this at the local liquor store looking for something "light and refreshing" I have been on a heiferweizen kick as of late, just because its been so hot. This I have to say wasy pleasantly surprising. it is light quite hoppy but not in way where I found it too hoppy (being a guy who doesn't like IPA as much as some do.) It was exactly what I wanted. Its light its extremely drinkable , and goes good with any food I can think to pair it with.

Please try this if you can find it in your area.

4.29/5  rDev +23.3%

Freshness of July notched on the label:

Pours cloudy lemon-drop yellow with a thin white head. Minimal lacing sticks.

The smell of hops abound - citrus - grapefruit and lemon with pine, apricot and a wheat tang. A wheat, fruity, spiced IPA. Interesting, and certainly inviting!

The taste is of bitter hops - piney and citrusy - grapefruit stands out with a hint of sweetened apricot in the middle. Complex and rich with a wheat twist. It is pretty intense with a bitter finish.

Medium-bodied and pretty chewy and crisp, some alcohol does show. Flavor lingers; so does the dryness.

A very interesting hoppy brew. It's an IPA with white ale characteristics. I love the way the hops linger, though the dryness becomes slightly sandpaper-ish after the second (of the two in the variety pack). (By the way - a "Spring" variety pack released in January is REALLY pushing it, but that's the trend now.) Anyway - if you like hoppy ales and wheat beers this is certainly one to get!

4.29/5  rDev +23.3%

This has got to be one of the most underrated brews Sammy A has put out.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Color is hazy orange straw. Holding up to the light you can see flakes or pieces of what I can only assume to be (after reading the label) either apricots or spices floating in this beer.

The aroma is pretty divine in this brew. A lot going on here. Strongly citrus with a mild-spicy clove scent in the background. I kept smelling a light, almost "fresh pie" smelling fruit in the nose, so I quizzically read the label and noted the "brewed with apricots" description. Intriguing!

Taste is so well balanced its stunning. The citrus hops blend in with the wheat & apricot flavors beautifully and the whole beer is just a pleasure to drink.

Mouthfeel is very oily and full, yet leaves you feeling refreshed. A great summertime beer.

I can't really adequately describe it; I think there's just a lot more to this beer than the Bro's noted on their first go 'round. Its just so well balanced. Its not simply an IPA, and if you go in thinking its going to be just an IPA, the wheat's subdued characteristics will make this beer seem underwhelming.

Its nice to see Sam Adams making some more "extreme" beers; or at the very least, breaking out of the mold of styles. I hope this gains the same popularity as noble pils. Alas, I feel that because its called an IPA, it will never gain that status.

Should have named this something else, because this fantastic beer is not getting the rep it deserves.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a translucent creamy orange, like a melted down creamsicle with a huge pillowy white head leaving great lace.

S: Has that wit orange peel, some peppery spice.

T: Orange, grapefruit, and apricots upfront and then finishes with a bitter pine attack which is just delicious.

M: Medium-bodied, hint of acid, very crisp, refreshing.

O: One of the best Sam Adams beers I've had in a while. Impressive, great taste.

4.28/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I like this as a summer IPA (if there is such a thing). This has a fresh, clear taste that strikes sits on my tongue and leaves a bright aftertaste. I can't explain why, but I don't appreciate that taste in colder weather and seek hardier, heavier, hoppier brews in the cold weather.

4.28/5  rDev +23%

Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass. Best by May 2012 so this case is very fresh.

Appearance is a cloudy golden orange color with a bleached T-shirt white head. Astoundingly beautiful.

The smell is outstanding. Super bitter floral hops when cold but sweetens up a bit as it warms to a kiss of sweet malt. Not the most complex nose but I cannot stop pausing to take a whiff. Amazingly fresh.

My first sip was while the beer was very cold and it was quite bitter and dry. As it warmed the beer sweetened up to a more balanced taste, but the hops are overwhelmingly present as would be expected. Refreshing and delicious.

The mouthfeel starts with a nice tingle on the tongue with a perfect amount of carbonation. Mouth feel is medium. Utterly perfect for the style. Afterfeel is outstanding. My mouth remains coated in pleasant bitter hops.

Not really understanding the mediocre reviews for this beer!

4.27/5  rDev +22.7%

This beer really hit the spot for me. I was craving an IPA like you couldn't imagine and I came home and opened this one up. Gave it a good pour and looked over it's hazy golden color and white head. The aroma of this was big on the apricot and hops. Those two aromas blend so well together it made my mouth water. The taste of the beer is about as good as the nose. The flavors of citrusy hops collide with the apricot giving off this really nice refreshing flavor. The spices don't kick in until the finish, but even then they aren't dominant at all. The mouthfeel was light and refreshing. Overall I wished that I had picked up more than just a single bottle of this brew because I would have easily put down a 6 pack of these.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Samuel Adams Whitewater IPA from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)