Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Cinder Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Cinder BockCinder Bock

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Rauchbier |  9.45% ABV

Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cinder Bock Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

The SA one-offs have been hit and miss with me. One of them will blow me away and the next one I try leaves me wondering what the hell is going on.

Very sweet, almost dopplebock-like aromas masked by hints of smoke. The smoke is very subtle here. Definitely more sweet caramel malts than I was expecting. Not a bad thing, but just different than I thought it would be.

Big doses of sweet caramel maltiness... Almost like chewing on a Brach's Caramel or something. I like those caramels... This? I'm not so sure... It just seems a little too sweet for the style. I want a Rauch to be smoky and meaty with just hints of sweetness and a nice dry smoky finish... This reminds me of their Double Bock.

Just ok for me... I didn't dislike it, so don't get me wrong here. I just.... felt like it could have been a lot better? Not enough smoke for my tastes...

3.49/5  rDev -5.2%

22oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Tawny hue, hazed, superb head and lacing

SMELL: Smoke, birch, ash, spice, rose water, caramel, raisins, more smoke

TASTEL: Smooth, very smoky, slightly cloying, caramel, ash, charred wood, pears, spicy alcohol, bready, mild tartness, herbal, floral, semi-juicy, more smoke, ashy smoky finish

Too much smoke IMO so I can easily say it was not balanced at least for me. Thankfully this is a big beer so it can take a few lumps, good to sip but there is no way I could see finishing this bottle off during a long session. Asking you to try it would be a dare if you are not into smoked beers, even if you are it might be a challenge.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

A-Clear amber carbonated two finger head

S-Beef Jerky, smokiness

T-Beef jerky, smokey, not much bitterness, chocolate and coffee

M-Medium bodied, some carbonation

O-At the end of it the flavor was too off for it be enjoyable, their Bonfine Rauch was better than this.

3.48/5  rDev -5.4%

Appearance is a warm carmel color. Not opaque. The aroma is a strong bacon odor, very smoky. Good lacing and a nice settled head. Taste is a sweet smoke flavor with a hint of cinnamon. The texture is a little syrupy but not overbearing. Would pair nicely with a banana creme brulee or anything with bacon. I liked the beer but it is a little too smoky for my tastes.

3.47/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a very dark copper-brown beer, with a small head that fades away to nothing at all very shortly. Smokiness comes through in the nose, sharply phenolic, without much maltiness. The taste on the other hand, is very heavily malty, together with harsh fusel alcohol notes. Smoke is certainly present, but this beer lacks the superbly tasty smokiness of the classic Schlenkerla. It would be better represented in a less strong beer, I think.

3.46/5  rDev -6%

22 oz bottle pours orange-red-amber with a large and very durable tan head.

Smokey aroma allows a fruity and malty base to come through. The flavor is more smokey, however, and ultimately, only the smokey flavor remain.

M: medium-full body with near perfect carbonation. Creamy smooth.

O: a bit too smokey for my taste, but certainly not over the top for a rauchbier.

3.46/5  rDev -6%

Pours a clear red-amber with a tan tight knit short lived head with some lacing to boot.

Not much of a nose that I could detect.

Flavor-- I think that the "rauch" gets in the way of the bock flavor. The "Rauch" part reminds me of smoke sausage. If I tune out the "Rauch" part of the flavor- there's a hint of a light bock. It's got a good helping of malt, alcohol (but not too overpowering).

The mouthfeel is a quite cordial blanket-- with a tart finish that lasts a while.

Overall this is an enjoyable beer-- I don't think I'd choose it as an example of a bock. But regardless of its strict adherence to a particular style-- it's still an enjoyable beer for it's perhaps offbeat whim of smoke.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Wine Nation, Millbury, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 1/4" beige head over the clear orangey copper brew. Head recedes at a moderate pace, leggy, with average lacing. Aroma is sweet malt husks, with light smokiness.

Taste begins with rich malt sweetness, tannins and some smoke in the middle, and a dry alcoholic close. Mouthfeel is pretty slickery, and drinkability is okay. Wanted more smoke, but not everyone wants Schlenkerla levels like me. Anyways...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Holy smokes.... plenty of smoke in this beer. I poured into a normal pint glass.

Lots of smoke flavor and caramel.

I like this, but it's not love. I probably won't purchase again as I'd be more attracted to a Dopplebock over this beer.

Glad I tried it, it's good, but not great.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beige head. Leaves splattered lace. Color is a clear burnt mahogany.

Aroma: a lot of bacon and smokey flavors. Reminds me of red apples. Caramel and burnt sugar. Lots of malts. Sweet.

Taste: same as the nose. Bacon and smoked malts. Toffee and caramel. Very bockish.

Mouthfeel: smokey and sweet. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends smokey.

Overall, a tasty bock. Easy to drInk. I like the smokiness.!no alcohol present. Nice.

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottled poured in to a Sam Adams pint glass. I haven't had too many rauchbiers (maybe 3 ever), so my rating system might be kind of off for the style.

A slight hazy, brown/dark amber color. slow bubbles crawled up the side of the glass. The head was a light brown color that settled out in to a thin bubbly film. Left some decent lacing.

Black licorice and a little bit of smoke. Not much to it after that.

There is an overall nice smokey, roasted flavor. Pretty sweet backbone. Has a minor metallic taste of it, but the finish is pretty clean.

The mouthfeel is slick and smooth. Has a silky carbonation. Once again, very clean finish. Probably the highlight of this beer.

Again, I haven't had too many rauchbiers so I don't know what to look for, but I found this brew pretty enjoyable. This was a nice "gateway" beer for the style, so I think that I'll need to add more on to my "beers to drink" list.

3.4/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really want sure what to expect with this one. I've been tasting several of the Samuel Adams from Boston Beer Company editions and each one has had its surprises.

I assumed that being a Bock, it was going to be full bodied, low in carbonation, hardly any crispness and lacking of hops.

When I taste new beers or wines, I never read the labels or any other review. I dont want to be influenced by what someone else stated.

The aroma of this one was average, malty, but what I would normally expect from a bock. But then the first sip!, I could have be next to a camp fire. The smoky taste was right there , up front, very pronounced but at the same type not over powering. I couldnt wait until the second sip. Now, I appreciated the smoky flavour so much more. I only wish I had some good smoked ribs or steak to go with this one

The finish was just right for this one.

When I talk about this beer to some of the customers, I will talk about the smoke flavour. Its the same thing I do when a customer is looking for a Sauvignon Blanc, and I explain the differences between California, Washington State and New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. The ones from New Zealand are loaded with citrus and its almost like biting into a fresh pink grapefruit.

This is one I will be again and put some away for later on

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

It's a campfire in a bottle and if you're up for some smokey goodness, then cheers.

I liked it, but it is a beer made for mood and sipping. I'd get it again to have the next time I'm snowed in, and I'd love it for exactly that purpose.

It pours well and looks great. The aroma is extremely inviting. The mild hop leaves for an interesting aftertaste, but the nose is a faint spicy smoke, the taste is of a campfire, and the finish is a complementary heavy earth note of toffee and maybe roasted nuts before that touch of hop aftertaste finally kicks in.

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice ruby color but no head to speak of. My main impression is that this is a very sweet Bock! The smell is sugary instead of smoky--not ideal--and the base beer is also too much caramel and booze for me. Nice hickory-beech smoke, but I would turn the sweet-sticky characteristics down a LOT before I would drink this beer again. Glad to see the attempt at the style, though!

3.33/5  rDev -9.5%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear amber/brown with two fingers of dense off white head. Head retention is excellent.

S: Equal parts bready malts and hickory smoked malts with light caramel sweetness. Mild, but nice.

T: Quite sweeter than the aroma, I get lots of caramel sweetness with light bready malts in the background. I get very light smokiness, but it's barely detectable. Lots of booze. As the beer warmed, I got ,ore smoke. The beer seemed a bit more balanced, but still too sweet.

M: Full bodied with good carbonation.

O: The taste was very disappointing after a nice aroma. The beer is too sweet and boozy. I wish the bready malts and smokiness was turned up quite a bit and the sweetness was turned down a lot.

3.31/5  rDev -10.1%

Dark red/brown beer under little pale white bubble lacing. Not enough lacing or head retention.

Smells excellent, smoked meats and mesquite wood.

Taste is meaty, smoky BBQ beer, very unique flavor upfront and then malts make it sweet rather than hoppy on the back end. If you like BBQ you'll like this; if you don't, you probably won't.

Mouthfeel is disappointingly thin, with average carbonation and texture. On the positive side though, the high ABV is completely hidden.

Overall, I'm torn because this is a unique beer - or at least I've never had the style. I'm glad I tried it, and it was interesting. But the look and mouthfeel were disappointing. I love BBQ, but maybe not in a beer, I guess.

3.31/5  rDev -10.1%

I decided to go the tulip glass route with this one. I'm a little shy after reading some of the reviews. I hope Cinder Bock isn't going to be a chore. Hard to say, as I love a good rauchbier.

I count three fingers of well-maintained peachy-beige head. The beer itself is a hazy scarlet-brown. After the foam subsided a bit, we get a nice patchwork ring of lace.

Smells rather lager-y. Hint of smoked malt and robust caramel grains. Actually, there's quite a bit of malt; seeping with sweetness and burnt toffee notes. For a rauchbier, this nose is tuned way down, however.

Holy jeebies. Very boozy in the mouth with decadent bready malt flavors of burnt caramel, maple, smoke, and dried fig. Has an Imperial Doppelbock profile to it, with a ripe smokiness and fruity esters. Can't get over how oppressive the alcohol comes off here. That, and the sweetness. Thank God I put enough arugula on my sandwich to balance out this little meal. Some chocolate comes through. Lots of dark bread, steak butter, brown sugar, and roasted fruits.

An autumn warmer for a cool night. Very warming, in fact. The alcohol is a stranglehold for a beer style such as this is brewed for. Cloyingly sweet with sappy stickiness. Hard to equate this with a brew that is rather medium in body. Lazy carbonation is an afterthought.

Sorry, Jim. This is not my idea of a rauchbier proper. A bruiser of a bock, sure. A lot of flame, but no meatiness that I'd enjoy. It didn't blend.

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

The last release of these beers was pretty disappointing with the exception of the vixen. Let's see if the boston beer company can redeem themselves with these two new brews.

Pours a deep garnet color with good clarity and a bit of off white head. Nose is reminiscent of a pig roast and very smokey making me fear that the beer itself may be overly smokey. A bit of dark malts come forward as the beer airs out. Nice malt sweetness up front with a pretty big body. Beer changes gears quickly though and finish incredibly porky and smokey. Not to the point of being terrible but it is slightly abrasive. It is a unique brew in starting subtle and then lashing out in flavor and is pretty fun.

The beer however whips the tongue around a bit with a few odd combos of flavors that aren't layered in the best manner possible with the smokey savory character overriding most of the others. This beer could enhance the flavor of a lot of BBQ foods or balance out some of the sweetness brought on by some asian meals.

Give the beer a few sips and some time to air out and some of the caramel and chocolate flavors that normally make up a bock make themselves present to help balance some of the richer flavors in the beer. While still in need of some more balance this brew is definitely unique and pretty good.

I would recommend splitting the bottle with a buddy though as the flavors are pretty massive and intense and can wear ya out.

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a clean reddish to amber color with a light tan head. In the aroma, small fruitiness and a note of smoke. In the taste, mostly fruity, and a small smoke that gets larger as it warms up. A smooth and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry fruitiness in the aftertaste. More fruit presence than smoke, it is just ok though.

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured form a 650 ml bottle into a mug.

A: Medium brown. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, brown-white head. Dissipates fairly quickly, leaving a smattering of bubbles on the surface. No real lacing.

S: Roasted malt, liquid smoke, and bacon.

T: Smoked malt grains, licorice, peat, and some indistinct sweet component I just can't place.

M: Hearty, but shallow feeling. Has kind of synthetic, made in a lab, sweet/bitter thing going on. Peaty aftertaste. Kind of off-putting.

D: Sipping experience. Mine was, it was decent enough, but a 12 ounce serving would have been plenty.

Atmosphere is okay. Nice foamy head, but no real lacing. Nose is roasty and bacony. Malt grains, smoked in peat, balanced with bitter and some odd sweetness. Overall, this is an okay quaff.

3.21/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into straight pint glass. Poured a semi-hazy coppery brown color with about 1/2 inch of light khaki head that had low retention and light lacing.

The aroma was mostly malty-sweet, as you'd expect in a Bock, but only had a trace of the smokiness you'd expect in a Rauch. I didn't pickup a notable hop scent. On the tongue however, the smoke really came through. Not to the levels of Schlenkerla, perhaps, but very smoky indeed. The malty Bock flavors were mostly buried, but did come through on the back of the tongue, as the smoke subsided.

The body was average, perhaps a bit thin for my tastes, for a Bock. Drinkability will depend on your tolerance for the smoke. If you like it, you'll find this beer very drinkable, if not not as much. Overall, a good, solid brew that's worth a shot if you see it. I'm happy to see a large brewery like BBC stepping out and making some of these lesser known styles available to a wider audience. Congrats to 'em!

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 1pt, 6oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a conic pint glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Quite a big bottle. Reviewed live.

A- Three finger cream-colored head with rapidly eroding retention. Lasts about a minute and a half. Sinks down to a half-finger floater with some creamy lacing. Dark orange color with low clarity. Semi-hazy.

S- Bacon, smoke. Smells like breakfast. Typical Rauch smell.

T- Smoky, caramel malts. Some booze. Not bad. Not good.

M- Wet and thicker bodied.

O- Kind of a miss on this one. Not special.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Pours a dark reddish copper color with a hlaf finger head which recedes to edging and leaves little to no lace. The aroma is of caramel malts and a hint of smokiness. The aroma of the smokiness gets stronger as the beer warms. The taste starts off with a caramel malt taste. The middle has the taste of toffe, brown sugar, and dark fruits. The very end of the beer is smoke, again the smokiness gets stronger as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is sticky and lowly carbonated. Overall it was an okay beer, it seemed to be more of a bock than a rauchbier. The smokiness is more subdued than what I expected.

3.06/5  rDev -16.8%

This one is really hard to review because it's great in smll doses, but also becuse the "a" key on my keyboard is broken and I keep having to hit ctrl+v to insert a copied letter "a" into various words. I refuse to correct any I've missed.

Poured in several small doses into a Sam adams tasting glass and then a Medieval Manor glass.

a: Woody brown with 1 finger of light beige head. Slightly hazy. Leaves weblike lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Smoky, nturlly. Just a touch nutty as well but the smoke dominates the nose.

T: Very savory with sort of a smoked sausage flavor to it and a harsh tang. Smokiness gets overpowering as this one warms, and it takes on a little sweetness nd a bit of a medicinal taste. Too much at a time nd it just ends up tasting like that bottled liquid smoke stuff that never quite seems to work in any recipe you try.

M: On the heavy side of medium. Just viscous enough to let you know it's a hevyweight, but not so much that it becomes cloying.

O:I had it with marshmallow. Makes sense, right? Smoky cmpfire beer and a marshmallow? Don't you judge me.

3.05/5  rDev -17.1%

This beer started out well but lost its lustre as consumption contunued. I'm not exactly sure what it is ... perhaps the yeast? I'm not a fan of belgian beers and this seemed to have some of those belgian taste qualities. I certianly don't get any "rauch" flavors as the style catagory would suggest.

Cinder Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)