2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cinder Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Cinder BockCinder Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Rauchbier |  9.45% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cinder Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 425 | Reviews: 162 | Show All Ratings:
rdilauro

3.36/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really want sure what to expect with this one. I've been tasting several of the Samuel Adams from Boston Beer Company editions and each one has had its surprises.

I assumed that being a Bock, it was going to be full bodied, low in carbonation, hardly any crispness and lacking of hops.

When I taste new beers or wines, I never read the labels or any other review. I dont want to be influenced by what someone else stated.

The aroma of this one was average, malty, but what I would normally expect from a bock. But then the first sip!, I could have be next to a camp fire. The smoky taste was right there , up front, very pronounced but at the same type not over powering. I couldnt wait until the second sip. Now, I appreciated the smoky flavour so much more. I only wish I had some good smoked ribs or steak to go with this one

The finish was just right for this one.

When I talk about this beer to some of the customers, I will talk about the smoke flavour. Its the same thing I do when a customer is looking for a Sauvignon Blanc, and I explain the differences between California, Washington State and New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs. The ones from New Zealand are loaded with citrus and its almost like biting into a fresh pink grapefruit.

This is one I will be again and put some away for later on

02-24-2012 17:40:14 | More by rdilauro
ryanonline

this beer has a deep dark brown hue to it with a strong red background. lots of off white foamy head that dissipates quickly.

smells smokey and slightly heavy on the rye presence. Light on the hops.

taste is the same, heavier on the smoke. bit of sweetness too.

mouthfeel is slightly spritzy and dryish, overall still sweet though.

this has a truly remarkable drinkability, given the flavorful and high alcohol nature of this beer.

I approve.

02-26-2012 09:05:53 | More by ryanonline
williamjbauer

West Virginia

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Served in a weizen glass from a brown bottle

A - Deep dark amber with 2 finger khaki head with good retention and lacing.

S - Smokey, savory honey, spice, and most of all BEEF JERKY!

T - Sweet honey at the start and progresses into one of the weirdest beer experiences ever. Tastes like drinking straight up beer jerky, I kid you not. Notes of smoked salmon, grassy hops, caramel, smoke. Just a touch of alcohol.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, chewy.

O - A strange beer but still enjoyable. I bet this will pair well with rich cheeses. Couldn't drink this on a regular basis, but would make a nice session beer in the middle of winter.

06-24-2012 14:58:07 | More by williamjbauer
alaimoa

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Purchased in 2012 - pours a brown light coffee color with not much of a head. Tastes nutty and toffee flavors with thick coating aftertaste. Not the most pleasant on smell, taste or aftertaste.
Overall: I probably wouldn't buy it again but sometimes the Sam single bottles are surprisingly good. Just not this one

05-27-2013 12:14:06 | More by alaimoa
ElCommodoro

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

Pours a rich, clear mahogany. A beautiful sight in a beer. Little head, but that bothers me little. A high alcohol beer needn't much head. What little head it had stuck around quite a while, so that was a pleasant surprise.
The smell was very sweet. Mostly of overripe bananas and garbage. Not in a bad way. But that's sort of what it smelled like.
The taste was surprisingly more of the same. I wasn't aware it was going to be a smoky beer. All I knew is it would be a bock. I mean, it had a goat on it and rauchbier isn't something I've heard of before. The beer is VERY sweet, VERY malty, and definitely smoky. But not at all overly so. It smells a bit like it might be peat-smoked even though there's no indication that it is, but that would explain that garbage smell. So would highly fermented malt heaviness, though, I suppose. This beer has a lot of doppelbock qualities. It doesn't taste like what the description of rauchbier describes. The smokiness is not too upfront and well balanced with sweet maltiness. The name and flavour would indicate to me that this is part doppelbock, part rauchbier. I'd say it's more on the doppelbock side, but that's just me. Damn if the combination isn't delicious as hell. Love the big malty sweetness of it, even if it is a bit sticky, almost cloying. Love the alcohol burn. And love that unique flavour added by the rauch (smoke). I would HIGHLY recommend this to other lovers of big, sweet beers.

05-17-2012 04:02:56 | More by ElCommodoro
raznug

4.23/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: It pours a hazy dark ruby color and is topped with 1” of tan colored head .
Smell: I smell the aroma of a smoked ham or bacon and it dominates the nose as I expected it to. This beer is making me hungry for ham for supper now.
Taste: The blend of the rauch and bock styles isn’t a very far stretch but I didn’t know what to expect when I went for the first sip and I was pleasantly surprised with the tasty job that Sam Adams did with this brew. The smoke flavor is the first taste that hits your palate but it is followed quickly by the rich smoothness of the bock and I must say that they play well off of each other.
Mouthfeel: This is a very smooth and easy drinking beer but it has a richness to the mouthfeel that makes it even better drinking than a lot of bocks that tend to be on the heavy side.

07-29-2012 19:58:56 | More by raznug
JosiahS

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

glass: Mug

Mahogany color, clear with medium bubbles. 1-finger tan head, acute sudsy lacing.

Initially tart and sweet on the nose. Some grape, caramel, alcohol, ripe banana and a smoky somewhat leather-like aroma.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily with low-medium carbonation.

Taste is prominently sweet, full of syrupy, candy-like malt. Not as sweet as a double bock might be though. Mid-pallete the smoked wood comes in, a bit of leather and taste of what smoked pork may smell like. Finishes rather neutral, mildly sweet and some heat.

Nice effort from Sam Adams. It has all the makings of a great smoked beer but this thick and oily 9.45 ABV brew is just a bit too much for my tastes.

06-16-2012 00:24:42 | More by JosiahS
Krakistophales

Connecticut

A: Pours a really dark brown with a creamy head that disappears quickly

S: Lots of malts, toffee/caramel, and lots of woody/oaky aromas

T: Up front lots of malts and bready sweetness, followed by a thick peat and wooden smoke, with the aftertaste just coasting off with a smoky goodness. Pretty nice.

O: Another one that surprises me from sam adams. Pretty good and I'll be looking for more of these specialties.

03-24-2012 04:45:58 | More by Krakistophales
fank2788

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle served in a pint glass
Beautiful dark amber color in the glass with an off white head that settles to a thin layer of film with some lace. The aroma is a bit light but I do get a solid caramel malt base with a touch of sweetness on top of that, reminiscent of ripe fruit. The whole thing is tied together by a touch of light smokiness, not a campfire smoke but a nice sweet smokiness. The taste is sweet bready malt somewhat thick with a bit of the alcohol apparent. The smoke is right there too my first thought was of bacon or at least the smell and taste of smoked bacon, that thought fades but only slightly as the meaty character does persist. This is a pretty thick beer as the carbonation is low and it has a drying smoky finish with the evident alcohol. Overall this is definitely interesting. I'm not a huge fan of rauchbiers but the smoke in this one is balanced pretty well with by a good malt character and the high alcohol content seems to help too. If only the smoke character wasnt as meaty I think this beer would be more enjoyable.

08-18-2012 01:00:03 | More by fank2788
Dodt

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

decide to try something different with this review . since there is two suggested glasses i thought it would be fun to try this beer in both glasses mug and stange . appearance is the same , for aroma i prefer the aroma in the stange and for the taste and mouthfeel there is no difference . i cannot wait to try the other beers in this same batch series from sam adams

07-18-2012 03:29:05 | More by Dodt
microbrewlover

3.7/5  rDev +3.6%

This brew pours a soild amber/copper color. There is maybe a half finger of head which dissapates quickly and light lacing which stays in the glass until the end.

The smell is of toasted malts, toffee, carmel and smoke.

The mouthfeel is bready and chewy; also a little grainy.

The taste is as promised both a bock and a Rauchbier. The drinker climbs a malt wall and is rewarded with toffee and carmel. There is also a bready and toasted grain taste. The smoke hits the palate on the back end and tastes just like a campfire smells. I am talking about one of those really good smelling campfires. However there is a little bit of 'ashy-ness' at the end of the smoke taste but not on every swallow.

Overall this brew does a good job of mixing the Rauchier and Bock styles. Watch out for the 9.45 ABV content because it will hit you at the end of the glass.

03-25-2012 20:58:19 | More by microbrewlover
EkimGram

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

From my beer journal dated 2/18/12

Batch No. 1

Appearance: 22oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. Colour is a rich brown with a nice garnet hue. Finger-thick, pillowy head fades slowly leaving some lacing. Slight visible carbonation.

Smell: Moderately smoked malts followed by a bitter hop aroma.

Taste: Starts off with a nice, sweet smokiness followed by a nice balance of malts and a slight bitter finish. Not very deep or as complex as I had hoped but not bad at all.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, silky and oily with a surprising amount of carbonation. Finishes a little sticky.

Overall: A solid brew. There isn't really much to say. The masking of the high alcohol is impressive. Another solid Sam Adams beer.

05-03-2012 01:50:51 | More by EkimGram
Merkur

Tennessee

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Beer pours a rather thick dark amber color with a good amount of tan head that stays throughout.

Beer smells smokey, but not strongly. Also, notes of caramel are present. A bit sweeter smelling than expected.

Taste follows the nose. A good bit of sweet smoke that is not quite as balanced as I prefer. Notes of caramel and a bit of a nutty taste are also present.

Beer is a bit thick with very little carbonation.

02-19-2012 15:20:42 | More by Merkur
DirtyPenny

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

This one is really hard to review because it's great in smll doses, but also becuse the "a" key on my keyboard is broken and I keep having to hit ctrl+v to insert a copied letter "a" into various words. I refuse to correct any I've missed.

Poured in several small doses into a Sam adams tasting glass and then a Medieval Manor glass.

a: Woody brown with 1 finger of light beige head. Slightly hazy. Leaves weblike lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Smoky, nturlly. Just a touch nutty as well but the smoke dominates the nose.

T: Very savory with sort of a smoked sausage flavor to it and a harsh tang. Smokiness gets overpowering as this one warms, and it takes on a little sweetness nd a bit of a medicinal taste. Too much at a time nd it just ends up tasting like that bottled liquid smoke stuff that never quite seems to work in any recipe you try.

M: On the heavy side of medium. Just viscous enough to let you know it's a hevyweight, but not so much that it becomes cloying.

O:I had it with marshmallow. Makes sense, right? Smoky cmpfire beer and a marshmallow? Don't you judge me.

09-26-2012 00:18:38 | More by DirtyPenny
stella77artois

4.19/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass. This was my first rauchbier, and was excited to try it. In actuality, it's more of a hybrid, I guess it's considered a "smoked doppelbock". Am a huge doppelbock fan, so I happily grabbed some.

A - Pours almost entirely brown, with just a shade of red. Shines a deep red-brown in the light. Thick, 3-finger head developed, was a tannish color. Excellent looking beer.

S - Lot's of malt up front, as well as roasted characters. A strong aroma of cocoa is present, and just a hint of smokiness.

T - Great tasting beer. All the aromas are noted in the taste, especially the malt and cocoa. The smoky taste is definitely noticeable, but not in an overpowering way. I think it really compliments the strong bock taste. This beast is 9.5% ABV, so a small amount of alcohol heat was noticed in the aftertaste. Not unpleasant, and actually went well with the wings I was eating.

F - It's a bock, so it's thick and can be tough on the stomach. Not a bad feeling beer, and it paired well with wings, and I'd imagine with most good flavored food. Not something I'd want to chug, but that's how it is w/ bock's.

O - A pretty darn good beer. I really view this more as a doppelbock w/ some smoke rather than a Rauch. Very suprised it's ranked as low as it is. Not quite as good as Sam Adams' Double Bock, but it's still a quality beer. Lot's of taste, lot's of power, and pairs well with food. Highly recommend for any fans of bocks/doppelbocks or extreme beers.

07-02-2013 12:55:18 | More by stella77artois
Vierenner

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

This beer started out well but lost its lustre as consumption contunued. I'm not exactly sure what it is ... perhaps the yeast? I'm not a fan of belgian beers and this seemed to have some of those belgian taste qualities. I certianly don't get any "rauch" flavors as the style catagory would suggest.

09-27-2012 23:50:02 | More by Vierenner
bourbonbock

4.23/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a bomber bottle into a clean pub glass and received the following:

A. Rose colored golden body with 3 fingers of off white fluffy head receding slowly and leaving lace behind.

S. Smells slightly like an ice cream parlor from a foot away. Up close I smell sweet chocolate, charred oak, olives, and candy. A slight yeasty and smokiness leaves the glass last.

T. Very complex flavor profile. Creamy, chocolate, earthiness (hops?) and yet strangely like an irish car bomb. Slight saltiness and a hint of peat.

M. Creamy like a root beer float but finishes clean and leaves a film on the tongue daring you to take another sip.

I think this would go good with some ribs and cornbread. Definitely not something to quaff, more of a sipper to go along with a nice dark Churchill on the deck.

08-18-2012 00:54:24 | More by bourbonbock
jeremy13586

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

Bottled poured in to a Sam Adams pint glass. I haven't had too many rauchbiers (maybe 3 ever), so my rating system might be kind of off for the style.

A slight hazy, brown/dark amber color. slow bubbles crawled up the side of the glass. The head was a light brown color that settled out in to a thin bubbly film. Left some decent lacing.

Black licorice and a little bit of smoke. Not much to it after that.

There is an overall nice smokey, roasted flavor. Pretty sweet backbone. Has a minor metallic taste of it, but the finish is pretty clean.

The mouthfeel is slick and smooth. Has a silky carbonation. Once again, very clean finish. Probably the highlight of this beer.

Again, I haven't had too many rauchbiers so I don't know what to look for, but I found this brew pretty enjoyable. This was a nice "gateway" beer for the style, so I think that I'll need to add more on to my "beers to drink" list.

04-30-2012 05:48:44 | More by jeremy13586
Wamesit

4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A - 22oz bottle poured into Stella tulip. Pours a rich chestnut. Thick off-white head that quickly gives way to clumpy lacing.

S - Smoked and caramel malts followed by a bitter hop aroma and a hint of alcohol in the back.

T - Starts off smokey and rich. The caramel malts add a mild sweet thickness to the body. The alcohol and noble hops make appearances in the last of the finish and during retro-olfaction.

M - Thick, lush. Almost sticky.

O - Highly enjoyable. A great hybrid. (rauchbier/double bock)

05-19-2012 03:23:15 | More by Wamesit
Ford

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Holy smokes.... plenty of smoke in this beer. I poured into a normal pint glass.

Lots of smoke flavor and caramel.

I like this, but it's not love. I probably won't purchase again as I'd be more attracted to a Dopplebock over this beer.

Glad I tried it, it's good, but not great.

12-24-2012 19:31:48 | More by Ford
sirdrinkwell

2.93/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Ruby to copper orange pour with bone colored head and generous lacing that persists, sticky on the side of the glass.

S: Smokey, jerky-like nose. i refuse to go on.

T: very burnt and smokey, melding with a bittersweet mix of malt and grain.

M: decent mouthfeel, medium to full body with a slightly acidic feel.

O: While I am not one to leave a glass unemptied, I am not terribly impressed. this is nothing I would seek out again in the future.

07-28-2012 21:45:47 | More by sirdrinkwell
alexkeil

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Purchased a bottle (1 pint 6 fl.oz.) from Consumer Beverage in Lockport, NY. No freshness date but the back label says batch #1.

This is a really nice looking beer: pours a clear, really beautiful mahogany color with an off white just about tan head, that sticks along the glass and that persists nicely thoughout the beer's life.

The smell is predominately sweet malts: toffee and caramel with hints of light smoke way in the back.

The taste is big malt flavor up front: toffee, caramel, ripe banana. There is a quick drying from the higher alcohol level that is noticeable in the swallow. The smoke is right there on the back of the tongue and helps fight that malt sweetness.

The mouthfeel is medium to slightly full body with a little prickle from the carbonation and alcohol. A pretty different experience with this malty velvety texture followed by a quick drying smokey finish.

I like that Samuel Adams is experimenting with smoked malts and I hope they do more. I like their rauchbier and hope maybe they'll do a smoked porter. This beer is very well made, adventurous, and thoughtful beer. I would prefer more smoke malts and maybe less alcohol, but an enjoyable taste nonetheless.

04-06-2012 00:22:43 | More by alexkeil
HarrySTruman

2.03/5  rDev -43.1%

22oz into a mug

Red/dark red/reddish brown color with a half finger head. Head dissipated quickly. Lacing is strong and maintains for a while. Looks like dirty sewage water.

Smells like liquid smoke and dehydrated meat.

Tastes of molasses, alcohol and beef jerky. It's an odd flavor, quite strong, very warming, not the best option on a hot summer day.

Mouth feel is good. Not too crisp, as one would expect from the style, but not too much like syrup. There's a good balance on this aspect.

Kind of forgettable for the style. Pretty much what one would expect from reading any reviews of rauchbier, but not really a great example of the style. The high abv for such a low price helps out, but really not even a good introductory beer for the style. Certainly NOT a session beer.

07-04-2012 19:48:46 | More by HarrySTruman
MickeyD

Kansas

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

poured from a 22oz bottle into clean pint glass.

Appearance: dark red glow, one finger width head, good carbonation

Smell: dark caramel, smoked peat

taste: strong peat with roasted caramel and even slight floral hop with bite.

Mouthfeel: nice malt aroma with peat

Overall: I really liked this beer. I actually happen to like peat smoked beer and it is very hard to find and this beer has a good balance of smoked peat and a caramelized malt that I love. I would buy again if I can find it.

04-12-2013 00:38:10 | More by MickeyD
IvoryFoxhole

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Batch 1.

A: Average pour leads to moderate head which slowly dissipates leaving light lacing and a cap. Beer is a medium-brown.

S: Sweet malts, the beer is largely billed along those lines, and some smoke at the end. Not picking up the bacon others are, which is a shame because I like bacon.

T: Sweet predominates, grains, honey, caramel. Some smokiness on the finish and a little bit of heat from the high ABV.

M: Thick and syrupy, will be a bit of a chore to finish as a result, but all in all it's a good effort, almost a dessert beer.

Nice first go for Samuel Adams on this one.

6/9/13 update - aged a second bottle for nearly a year. Hasn't changed very much, perhaps a little less smokiness and heat. Balance is very good. Give it another .05 - .10 overall.

08-20-2012 00:53:49 | More by IvoryFoxhole
Cinder Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)