Cinder Bock - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Cinder BockCinder Bock

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Rauchbier |  9.45% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-09-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cinder Bock Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +33.1%

bomber 22 oz. bottle poured into 22 oz. glass, head meant not enough room for entire serving.

appearance - dark brown, little light passed through the poured clear glass. A mildly careful but fast angled pour yielded a 3/4 inch tan (very light at top, medium khaki at the bottom) head, a little lace as the beer was drank. Most beers would have yielded more head if I were to pour them this fast.

smell - I could get technical, but really, it smells like a bock, or more like a doppelbock/doublebock.

taste - see smell notes. It tastes like other good bocks and doppelbocks/doublebocks. The high alcohol content wasn't tasted though; it went down easily enough that I thought it was weaker.

mouthfeel - thick, but not real heavy. To say silky would be too light, to say more like satin would still be light. People think of fabrics for some reason... Imagine a gel-filled computer keyboard wrist rest with a satin outer surface. In other words, smooth with some but not a lot of weight. My beer vocabulary sucks, but this is what's in my head when I think of this beer's mouthfeel.

overall - This is a good bock that tastes like a good doppelbock/doublebock. The large bottle and high abv got me buzzed. I am incapable of dazzling you with expert tasting notes, but I can at least say, it's a really good bock, and worth the price I paid.

Thank you Beeradvocate for maintaining this site. It's valuable to me and very much appreciated.

2.5/5  rDev -30%

3.25/5  rDev -9%

2.75/5  rDev -23%

2.5/5  rDev -30%

4.25/5  rDev +19%

4.29/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

great brew. High ABV and you can definetely taste it. I have not had any true Rauchbiers but this one tastes like a great cross betweens SA doublebock and Wee Heavy, which I freaking love. The smoke is there, not overpowering like in a wee heavy but enough to give the beer a nice flavor. I let this brew sit out 1 hour before I drank it and it was very tasty.

4.19/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass. This was my first rauchbier, and was excited to try it. In actuality, it's more of a hybrid, I guess it's considered a "smoked doppelbock". Am a huge doppelbock fan, so I happily grabbed some.

A - Pours almost entirely brown, with just a shade of red. Shines a deep red-brown in the light. Thick, 3-finger head developed, was a tannish color. Excellent looking beer.

S - Lot's of malt up front, as well as roasted characters. A strong aroma of cocoa is present, and just a hint of smokiness.

T - Great tasting beer. All the aromas are noted in the taste, especially the malt and cocoa. The smoky taste is definitely noticeable, but not in an overpowering way. I think it really compliments the strong bock taste. This beast is 9.5% ABV, so a small amount of alcohol heat was noticed in the aftertaste. Not unpleasant, and actually went well with the wings I was eating.

F - It's a bock, so it's thick and can be tough on the stomach. Not a bad feeling beer, and it paired well with wings, and I'd imagine with most good flavored food. Not something I'd want to chug, but that's how it is w/ bock's.

O - A pretty darn good beer. I really view this more as a doppelbock w/ some smoke rather than a Rauch. Very suprised it's ranked as low as it is. Not quite as good as Sam Adams' Double Bock, but it's still a quality beer. Lot's of taste, lot's of power, and pairs well with food. Highly recommend for any fans of bocks/doppelbocks or extreme beers.

3.25/5  rDev -9%

3.13/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 1pt, 6oz standard pressure-cap bottle into a conic pint glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Quite a big bottle. Reviewed live.

A- Three finger cream-colored head with rapidly eroding retention. Lasts about a minute and a half. Sinks down to a half-finger floater with some creamy lacing. Dark orange color with low clarity. Semi-hazy.

S- Bacon, smoke. Smells like breakfast. Typical Rauch smell.

T- Smoky, caramel malts. Some booze. Not bad. Not good.

M- Wet and thicker bodied.

O- Kind of a miss on this one. Not special.

3.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looking great with three fingers of tan head on a cloudy, reddish brown colored body.
The aroma has a lot of smoke and a little anise and black licorice. Nice if you like that.
The taste is quite sweet all the way through, a touch of smoke with burnt wood middle to end, fairly complex with good balance.
The texture is soft, slightly sticky with low to moderate carbonation.
Pretty good overall, but a bit too sweet for my taste. I enjoyed the smoke though.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

smell - smokey, bacon-y, leathery, skin of the potato....y

apearence, red/brownish, almost like a killian

taste - sweet, like alot of bocks to me

mouthfeel - too sweet, smooth, smokey

overall - not bad, but one and done. Not a session beer to me.

Its my first beer into the drinking session. Its great starter. Possibly even better with food like a salty cheese or a salty meat, like pepporoni or salami. Overall its sweetness kills me for making me drink more than one in a session. Would buy again.

Poured into ceramic stein. Allowed head to develop and stayed for a good while.

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a ruddy, cloudy red. Huge head of off-white bubbles. Stunning, detailed, frilly lace.

Nose is lively smoky bacon, with notes of salted meat and woody goodness. Wow.

Taste is similar, but heavier on the malty bock side. I get some of the woody, cured-meat flavor, but with a heftier sweetness on the palate than I was hoping for. Finishes woody and warming.

Overall, a curious and unique melding of styles, but not of the caliber as the Schlenkerla rauchbiers.

Cinder Bock from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)