Longshot Derf's Secret Alt - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Longshot Derf's Secret AltLongshot Derf's Secret Alt

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Altbier |  9.30% ABV

(Beer added by: AmericanGothic on 03-16-2012)
View: Beers (127) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Longshot Derf's Secret Alt Alström Bros
FlatRabbitRed

Arizona

This is the very best beer I have ever had, I bought four cases of this years longshot winners just to enjoy this delightfull little fluid!

Now you may be saying that is fine but what level of beer drinker am I anyway, well I have been drinking beer for fourty years, and I started trying to drink different styles thirty five years ago. I have had somewhere over a thousand different beers over my lifetime, and this one is my all time favorite!

Rich, bold, malty sweet, caramel coffee, tangy toasty delight!

01-26-2013 16:05:06 | More by FlatRabbitRed
hopley

04-16-2012 01:15:31 | More by hopley
yuenglingfan101

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +31.8%

Loved this beer. Derf is a great beer with an awesome name to it. Taste very strong.Smells like heaven mouthful is the same as taste and appearance not to thick. Poured this beer into a pint glass which has been very trusty to me the since i started reviewing at this site

08-02-2012 18:01:06 | More by yuenglingfan101
DruC4

4.75/5  rDev +27%

07-14-2012 03:40:47 | More by DruC4
Photo of

4.75/5  rDev +27%

You rated this beer. Consider writing a review.

11-07-2012 17:29:02 | More by

Mortarforker

09-08-2012 20:23:25 | More by Mortarforker
brewdlyhooked13

4.49/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - caramel brown pour, a sticky light mocha head crests at about a finger. Lots of lacy residue.

Aroma - big, sweet caramel and malt. Reminds me of a barleywine but with more grain presence.

Taste - chewy, robust grains mixed with light citrus and raisiny flavor. A nice twangy syrupy bite, like a tangy orange. Mellow abv warming. Finishes lightly bitter and slowly but increasingly dry. Some delicious Kahlua-like notes as it warms.

Mouthfeel - very smooth for feeling so crisp in the mouth. Big, weighty beer, great fit for this one.

Overall - an ideal fall beer for the fireside, though a few too many will feel like a hammer to the head tomorrow. Too bad there's only two per sixer, I'd by a dozen of these.

09-24-2013 02:24:53 | More by brewdlyhooked13
lackenhauser

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

Deep, deep brown color though very clear. Reminds me of a piece of antigue furniture in color. Heavy coppery color. Nice, sweet malt aroma. Faint, faint whisper of alcohol. Sticky, toffeeish smell. Big solid malt flavor. Just a huge malt bomb. Slight bite to it. Great caramel/toffee flavors. Killer mouthfeel-the sticky malt just fades right into a gummy/sticky sweetness. 9%? Where? I had not a clue about this beer. A great, great alt if you ask me-maybe a double or imperial alt but a killer brew for me.

06-10-2012 00:32:46 | More by lackenhauser
nickfl

4.48/5  rDev +19.8%

A - The beer pours with half a finger of white foam on top of a medium brown body with perfect clarity. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves only traces of lace in its wake.

S - A brown, malty aroma with notes of brown sugar, caramel, and toasted bread.

T - Dark brown sugar and caramel up front. Some dark toffee and a bit of cinnamon in the middle. Spicy hop notes come out in the finish with fairly strong bitterness to balance the sweet toffee.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Really nicely done, this is a bit over the top compared to any other Alt, (sticke or otherwise) that I have had, but it works really well. The malt is thick and flavorful but never becomes cloying and the hops are there to keep things balanced while also providing a little bit of spicy character. One of the better long shot beers.

05-25-2012 02:52:21 | More by nickfl
MattyG85

4.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep brownish amber orange with some ruby red. Lots of rising bubbles and a big four finger off white head with good retention. Lots of lace on the glass.

Smell: Sweet mildly roasty malts with lots of caramel and toffee. Hints of brown sugar. Also picking up some hints of citrus hops with notes of grapefruit and orange peel. Some hints of dark raisins and plum in the background with a hint of alcohol. Smells sweet and bready but balanced.

Taste: A very nice combination of bready malts, hops, and dark fruit. Sweet bready malts that are lightly roasted with big notes of caramel, toffee, and brown sugar. Midway comes some balancing citrus hops with notes of orange and grapefruit. There is also a good presence of dark fruits with notes of booze soaked raisins, figs, and plum. Sort of tastes like a cross between a Doppelbock and a dark Belgian ale.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Very creamy and chewy. Very smooth for the big body and high ABV.

Overall: A very good take on an Alt. Bready and sweet but balanced and complex with the presence of hops and dark fruit.

03-28-2012 04:49:00 | More by MattyG85
StoutHunter

4.45/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I got a bottle of Derf's Secret Alt in Samuel Adams Longshot six pack last week for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. This idea of this beer is pretty intriguing, I have never seen an Altbier even close to as strong as this one is, and it seems pretty weird that an Altbier is the strongest beer in the six pack and not the RIS, but I am very interested in trying it so lets see how it goes. It had a best buy date of August 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty much the same as the other ones just a different face to represent the home brewer that came up with this beer, it looks ok. It poured a dark amber/copper color that had pretty good clarity and had a little over four fingers worth of fluffy off white/light tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left lots of lacing. I was really impressed with the way this beer looked, nice color and great head, I normally don't get a big head on a beer that is this strong, I really like it.

S- The aroma is complex. It starts out with some medium roasted malts that have a good amount of sweetness to them and impart a light toasted aroma, following that is some caramel and toffee aromas. After that I get some sweet molasses and brown sugar aromas that are followed by a pretty noticeable amount of dark fruits, plums, raisins, and black cherrys stick out the most and there is also some light citrus fruit aromas like grapefruit. At the end I get some more sweet and bready malts with a light alcohol aroma. I really ike the aroma, it's fragrant and complex, it for sure doesn't smell like the average Altbier.

T- The taste seems to be a little similar to the aroma. The first thing that I pick up is a nice amount of lightly roasted malts that impart a nice bready and biscuity flavors with a slight bit of brown bread, it's not nearly as sweet as the aroma and they also impart some nice caramel, toffee, and brown sugar flavors. After that some of those citrus fruits come through that i assume come from some citrus hops, I get some grapefruit and pineapple. Next comes all those dark fruits that I got in the aroma with the raisins and plums sticking out the most. There a little bit of alcohol on the finish that lets you know your drinking a big beer, but it isn't that overpowering or overwhelming for being 9.30%. I get a low amount of bitterness on the finish with a malty dark fruit aftertaste with a slight bit of alcohol. I really like the flavor of this beer it's really complex and I don't think I have ever had a beer that mixed dark fruit flavors with citrus fruit flavors, really unique to say the least.

M- Pretty smooth, a little chewy and creamy, on the lighter side of being full bodied and it had a perfect amount of medium carbonation, The mouthfeel was really different for an Altbier but I thought that it suited this beer nicely.

Overall I thought that this was pretty damn good beer and while not a true to style Altbier it is for sure one of the most interesting and complex ones I have ever had, it's pretty bold to take an Altbier to this level and I like that. For how strong this Altbier is it has pretty good drinkability and with the alcohol not showing up too much it went down faster then I expected, even so one is probably enough for me but if I was in the mood I think I could drink another one as long as I din't have shit to do in the morning. What I liked most about this beer was how different and unique it was and how complex it was, there were lots of nice flavors and aromas going on that blended well together and citrus fruits followed by dark fruits was pretty unique and enjoyable. There wasn't anything that I didn't like or would change about this beer, ok maybe I would change it's name, an epic beer like this needs an epic name. I would for sure buy this beer again and I am really thinking about getting another six pack so I can age a couple of these and see how they develop with time. I think just about everybody should try this beer, it's that good. So far this was my favorite from the 2012 Longshot series but I haven't had the RIS yet. This was one well made beer that you can tell that a lot of thought, time, and effort went into this beer and it really comes through in every aspect, I would be thrilled if they made this beer a seasonal but I doubt that will eve happen. Great work Fred, you made one kick ass beer that is the most unique Altbier I have ever had, no wonder why you were one of this years winners, what I would give for you to be my neighbor and let me try some of your home brews, if their half way as good as this one was I would be one happy man, your going places dude. Keep showcasing the Homebrewers Samuel Adams, it a really awesome thing you are doing.

03-29-2012 04:11:00 | More by StoutHunter
Hopdaemon39

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsener (don't have a stange)- pours a pretty clear brownish red (mahogany) with a creamy one finger tan head, decent retention, moderately sticky lacing. Slight layer of foam remains down to the bitter end.

Smell is a noseful- nice big center of bready dark malt with some prune and yeast notes.

Taste is consistent with smell and adds to it- lots of bready dark malt throughout, prune and yeast in the middle, a little alcohol spiciness towards the end, and a sweet finish (I taste banana). I'm not really tasting any citrus hops at the end as Sam Adams describes. Big malt-fest.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, light to moderate carbonation. The presence of the alcohol is a little bit distracting. This is a very fine brew and I'm proud to support homebrewers (as I am one!). Wish more Sam Adams were like these.

Update: After eating some pizza, I smell some banana as well as taste. Go figure.

04-18-2012 00:19:47 | More by Hopdaemon39
Arithmeticus

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured chilled in large ale glass

A: great big head, foamy; dark dark amber, nearly black
S: strong caramel, toasted grains, malt
T: amazing flavors; complex and sweet; the booze comes out in spades; raisins and dates are strong; hops are present, but play an excellent second-string to the other flavors
M: thick and viscous, almost like syrup; boy this needs to lighten up

I love it.

04-07-2012 21:55:52 | More by Arithmeticus
Thickfreakness

4.3/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Pours a deep mahogany/ruby red with a thick three finger head that lingers and hangs onto the sides of the glass as it dissapates. Great clarity for a beer this dark.

S- Dark amber honey... Smith Bros. Honey cough drops, licorice, sweet malt, caramel/cinnamon buns, sour cherry, some spicy pepper notes and some banana yeastiness. Really cool with amazing depth!

T- Thick, rich and sweet honey. Lots of malt sweetness, tons of licorice, dried cherries, Really nice caramel, toffee and honey cough drops. Nice bready yeast notes. No real trace of hops, but this is all about the malt bill.

M- Thick and sticky. The alcohol hides nicely behind the caramel and honey sweetness. Not much in the way of pop on the tongue... it just kind of glides and surrounds the mouth in sugary sweetness.

O- This one is all about the sweetness and honey! Note an everyday drinker, but really glad I finally tried it. Really amazing depth... with each breath, you pick up something different in the backround.

07-24-2012 22:17:58 | More by Thickfreakness
orm56

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

05-28-2012 11:34:48 | More by orm56
jheezee

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

04-19-2012 02:06:41 | More by jheezee
Longshot Derf's Secret Alt from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)