1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Verloren - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

VerlorenVerloren

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Gose |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-17-2012)
View: Beers (117) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Verloren Alström Bros
Ratings: 367 | Reviews: 138 | Show All Ratings:
Ego

3.49/5  rDev +0.9%

gose, one of those really rare styles.. salt in beer?? man was I skeptical before I tried the style, it is actually weirdly refreshing, so let's see how sammy adams version stacks up

eyes...
nice full finger of white foam, a whispering audio component, light orange clean hue with a good amount of carbonation streaming up the glass, near perfect lacing as this clings beautifully to the glass with a simple tilt and as you consume... nice

nose...
slightly dry and musty, the coriander is the star here - it is out front just like chuck schumer and any news cameras within a 15 mile radius, the hops lend a tender herbal aroma, the malt is detectable and lies underneath bathed in a subtle sweetness, smells on point for the style

taste etc...
the coriander is very up front here, the salt shines in the aftertaste especially when the hops run their course, it has that dry marshmellow-ish tone like weistephaner but not as strong (and tempered by the strong coriander), it has a hardier body than the other couple of gose I have tried, the carbonation is right where it should be - kind of just fluffy enough but not interfering in any way

verdict?
a little too heavy and not enough salt, I never thought I would type that about a beer... to me, sometimes a style is a certain way for a certain reason, so I think putting your own twist on a gose might not be the best direction. this does not come off as refreshing as the other goes beers I have had, it is worth a try for the sheer novelty if you have never had salt in your beer

02-02-2014 06:07:56 | More by Ego
TwelveOunces

Kentucky

3.9/5  rDev +12.7%

Bomber poured into a snifter
This is my first Gose, no idea what to expect.

A- Pours extremely hazy orange with a one finger of quickly dissipating head. Nice visible carbonation.

S- Smell is very wheaty and fairly hoppy. At first sniff I would guess wheat beer but there's a subtle american hop character of citrus fruit. This beer also has a unique spiciness to it, a very unique smelling brew.

T- Taste is rather light and definitely wheat focused. That american hop character is here giving a light citrus tone. This beer has a nice peppery spiciness that really gives it a little something extra. Its a really refreshing flavor but its a light flavor. The salt comes through a little in this one as well.

M- This is a refreshing and easy to drink brew. It has nice carbonation and is super smooth. Aftertaste is dry and wheaty, I could enjoy this on any occasion.

O- I was not expecting much out of this beer to be honest, mostly because its a very uncommon style of beer and usually that's for a good reason. I really enjoyed this beer, it was not as strange as I was expecting and I wish more breweries would have a go at this style because I think it's untouched territory. I think this would be a good candidate for 6 packs and I think if there was a bigger version of this beer that it would be a real killer for bombers. Still I recommend you try it out.

05-29-2012 00:56:33 | More by TwelveOunces
jeffjeff1

3.73/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up at BevMo a while ago.

Appearance- amber color, nice head but dissipates quickly

Smell- citrus, spices

Taste- citrus, spices, very nice flavor

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- I thought it was pretty good. It was my first gose and I was impressed.

07-31-2012 21:25:43 | More by jeffjeff1
zaphodchak

3.95/5  rDev +14.2%

Golden-brown light colored body, pretty clear.

Pleasant dryish nose, with that kinda note that I can't quite place. Kinda floral.

Lightish with some corny malt and an interesting fresh-sushi type note (which I think is the souring plus coriander). Weird, but works pretty well. Light and refreshing.

Bright and relatively crisp.

Nice gose, I actually quite like it, and not as expensive as others. Good way to get exposed to the style.

07-14-2012 23:45:06 | More by zaphodchak
GossageBrewery

Missouri

3.38/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured this Gose from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a hazy orange color, produced a huge white creamy head, excellent retention and lacing left on the glass. The aroma consisted of toasted grain, spicy coriander and lemon citrus. Medium bodied, a foundation of malted grain followed by spicy coriander, butter, and lemon citrus. I was a little disappointed with the flavor, a bit to heavy on the thick buttery taste- I feel it overshadowed the coriander, toasted malt and citrus a bit. Glad I sampled but not a Ale that I would seek out again.

03-14-2013 20:40:15 | More by GossageBrewery
acevenom

Louisiana

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours cloudy golden orange with an off-white head. There are plenty of bubbles rising from the bottom and side of the glass. The quantity of bubbles rising from the bottom decreases after the initial pour. The head dissipates slowly, leaving some sticky lacing on the side of the glass. Bright orange fills the nose along with coriander, malt, and hops. It has that classic, inviting wheat ale smell. Coriander, orange peel, malt, and hops blend well to create a tasty brew. If I hadn't seen salt listed as an ingredient, I might not have been looking for it. As it stands, there is a mild saltiness. The flavors are well balanced. The aftertaste is not strong. The body is medium with adequate carbonation. It is clean and refreshing with a dry finish. The drinkability is high. Overall, this is a very good beer that is an interesting addition to the Samuel Adams lineup.

06-01-2012 20:38:35 | More by acevenom
SawDog505

New Hampshire

3.58/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a Stella chalet. Pours a dark orange, with some haze, an attractive 2 inch white head, with lots of lacing. Smell is clove, carmel, banana, and some citrus. Taste is clove and carmel up front, with some banana in the finish. Body is medium large for its ABV, plenty of carbonation, more lush than dry, and good drinkability. This is a solid beer.

04-21-2012 13:40:43 | More by SawDog505
Hopfenpeter

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured into my crystal mug, the color is a rich, slightly hazy medium gold, and a nice two finger high, white creamy head, that leaves good lacing.
I smell wheat, coriander and honey flavors.
Tasting the beer, I was surprised by the honey presence up front, which was held in check by the more spicy coriander notes. Wheat flavors make the rest. The smooth feel, almost flat feel, I suspect is created by the salt.
Interesting beer, and it seems to fit the style, yet I am used to a little more carbonation in this beer style.

06-07-2012 03:05:14 | More by Hopfenpeter
confer

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As I've never had a Gose before this is hard to rate.
It looks and smells like a unfiltered American wheat ale. Gold and hazy with a soft looking head.
Smell is all wheat.
Taste is mostly orange. I'm not tasting the salt. The wheat does add to the crisp taste.
Feel is also like an American wheat ale but a bit more creamy.
Not a bad beer, but now I must try another Gose to compare.

09-29-2012 02:09:08 | More by confer
MadScientist

3.66/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: a medium amber with good clarity. The head is off-white made of fine bubbles with decent retention.

S: A moderate spicy and slightly lemony hops aroma with a medium amount of peach and orange fruity esters. There is some low malt sweetness aroma.

T: There is a medium malt sweetness with a bit of caramel like character. A medium-strong fruit flavor that seems yeast derived being mostly oranges and a bit pithy with a medium-low hops bitterness. The balance is somewhat bitter. The finish is off-dry with an aftertaste of hops bitterness and orange peel.

M: A medium-full bodied beer with a lot of weight on the palate from the salt. There is a medium strong level of carbonation.

O: A fruit and somewhat malty beer like oranges mixed with a bit of the peel some caramel and light bit of spice. Not a bad beer at all defiantly off the beaten path and worth the try.

07-06-2013 01:16:18 | More by MadScientist
Dave1999

3.71/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark cloudy orange with a small white head.

The smell is lemon, coriander and slightly sweet malts.

The taste is sweet malts through out, slightly spicy, coriander and pepper finishing a little salty.

The mouthfeel is pretty light with medium to high carbonation.

This was my first beer of this style and I thought it was very good. A very delicate and fairly complex beer.

08-15-2013 23:49:12 | More by Dave1999
LambicPentameter

Kansas

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured out of a 22 oz bottle into a Weizen glass. No freshness date that I could find. First time having this particular style, so take that into account when reading my review.

Appearance - A very attractive looking beer. Pours a hazy orange with amber and gold highlights. The head isn't terribly substantial (maybe between a half and a full finger) and it dissipates to a thin film on the top of the beer fairly quickly. The foam was VERY reminiscent of soap suds in the bottom of the bottle as I swirled to make sure I captured any sediment.

Smell - Reminds me of a Hefeweizen, which I suppose makes sense, given that this is an German-style, unfiltered wheat beer at it's core. Notes of lemon zest, spice, coriander, some white pepper. I really like the smell of this beer, truth be told.

Taste - This is the first component that hasn't really appealed to me. The front of the taste again imparts the essence of Hefeweizen, but the flavor is a bit more diluted, with the finish dropping off quickly to an almost watery finish. Notes of wheat, coriander again, and right before the flavors fade, a hint of that added depth of flavor from the salt. Honestly, I was afraid the salt would have a negative impact on the flavor profile, but now I'm thinking it needs more of it to set off the roundness of the wheat base. Taste needs some refinement to make this beer go from decent to outstanding.

Mouthfeel - A bit soapy, especially after the flavors fade. Has some body to it at first, but again seems to just evaporate. Like the taste, this component needs a bit of work.

Overall, a respectable beer. Not at all a bad choice, but I wouldn't buy it again without some assurance that the imbalances of the flavor profile and mouthfeel had been corrected. At the very least, it got me eager to try other versions of the Gose style. Now the trick will be finding some.

02-19-2013 17:04:49 | More by LambicPentameter
CaptJackHarkness

4.7/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From a one pint six ounce undated bottle. bottle states "enjoy now or age it to develop rich and unique flavors." From the Small Batch Collection.

Scent is spicy and floral, a bit musty.
Pours a hazy deep blood-orange with off white head. Head does not last nor is there lacing.
Taste is of sweet malt, bread and coriander with a hint of date or apricot. Very pleasing and drinkable! In fact, the more I sip the better I like it!

07-25-2013 01:43:02 | More by CaptJackHarkness
Cavanaghty

Maine

3.9/5  rDev +12.7%

poured from bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Golden amber color with a slight haze, not quite clear. About three fingers of white head that lasted sveral minutes leaving some mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Light smelling, sweet smells. Citrus and maybe pineapple?? Smell was hard to detect, it was not a overpowering smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: I would say it is a medium bodied, heading towards a full bodied. It is smooth but thicker feeling, almost sticky. Taste was good, sweet with maybe some wheat in the backround. Slaty, but not too bad.

Overall: Glad I tried this beer, it was worth the experiance and was quite enjoyable. How ever I would like to try a few more Gose before saying too much. This was my second one, and I hear this style is making a comeback.

07-29-2012 22:50:51 | More by Cavanaghty
Vixie

3.83/5  rDev +10.7%

Not really sure what this style is supposed to look like, but this is a decent looking beer. Pours a nice golden color with a full white head that lingers a bit.

Smell is mainly malt with a hint of yeast.

Starts out a bit malty with a hint of yeast. Has a spicy back end to it, likely the coriander.

Nice solid feel to it.

This is my first experience with this style. I have to say, I like it. It goes down nice and easy, and is an interesting mix of flavors. The touch of spice at the end makes this one stand out a bit. Very much worth a try.

06-24-2012 01:43:14 | More by Vixie
speter

3.33/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle poured into nonic.

A: Pours a deep copper/golden color with ample fluffy, off-white head that slowly fades, but persisted until the end.

S: Very biscuity, with a hint of marmalade and honey.

T: Very malty and rather like a buttered biscuit. There was a decided lack of the trademark lactic acid sourness of the style, however. Were this not labeled as a gose, it would score higher. (And if I were being more pedantic and keeping solely to style, it would score lower.)

M: Full-bodied and quite creamy.

O: Overall, this is a rather unique and nice beer, but I don't think it's a very good example of a gose.

11-14-2013 00:16:11 | More by speter
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

3.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a stange.

A - Pours a hazy orange marmalade color, with a fluffy three-finger white head. Ringlets of sticky lacing.

S - Powerful aroma of fruit, butterscotch, sour mash, caramel, and a bit of metallic mineral.

T - Sadly doesn't match the nose, as not much caramel or butterscotch is present. Sweet and sour at the same time, with notes of mandarin orange, pear, apple, lemon, and lime. Some clove and lots of coriander. There IS a tiny bit of malt sweetness lurking underneath but you have to look for it. Mineral element in the nose present in the salty finish. ABV of only 6% somehow detectable in the aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied and carbonated, but with an extremely oily feel. Kind of odd.

O - Cant say I'm a big fan of this style. The fruity sweet & sour element with the saltiness was just a little too weird to me for this beer to be truly enjoyable. Not a repeat buy. However, kudos to Sam Adams for the attempt at making this style more available.

01-17-2014 03:44:27 | More by TempeBeerMan
rinhaak

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I am anything but an expert on Gose. In addition to Verloren, I have only had the Leipziger Gose that is more or less the standard for the style (or so I've been led to think). So in reviewing this, I have only the one other beer to offer up as comparison.

What struck me when I drank my first Gose (the Leipziger), is that I was drinking a thoroughly unique beer style. It was light, refreshing, fruity, and a bit sour.

However, when I drink Verloren, I am struck with none of those things. The beer is a little heavy, and actually seems a little higher than the listed 6% listed ABV. There is some mild fruitiness in the mouth, but it really just serves to make the beer a little cloying. And it really wasn't terribly refreshing either.

That said, Verloren isn't a bad beer. It's quite malty and earthy, grass and plum flavors, and it pours a lovely amber with a full head. The salt is definitely present in the flavor, which lends a mineral nature to the beer.

Overall not something I would seek out again, but I commend Sam Adams for giving it a try.

06-21-2012 19:28:11 | More by rinhaak
Jamesthebrit

3.8/5  rDev +9.8%

Apparently coriander is the same thing as cilantro.... The more you know.

A: Hazy orange color. Thinish head. Looks like a squash or something.

S: A little light on the smell... A little malt plus a little lemon lime.

T: Lighter in taste but some very nice notes. A great orange note plus a little more gritty back note. Some malt.

M: Bubbles are pretty powerfull but it's alright.

Overall I quite liked this beer despite the bad reviews. It has some very nice fruity notes but also some spicy notes. Tastes like a fall beer or so.... Also pretty easy drinking.

10-15-2012 21:55:01 | More by Jamesthebrit
psuKinger

3.68/5  rDev +6.4%

22 ounce bomber, to be poured into my new extra large Sam Adams perfect pint glass, which came complimentary with the purchase of this bottle from 6-and-Save.

A: The 22 ounce bomber almost fits perfectly into this mug. Hazy golden amber colored, with a nice thick white head on top, initially 2 fingers worth, but 1 finger of which stuck around nicely.

S: Wheat, spice, peppers, and a touch of pine in the nose.

T: Taste follows the nose. The pine is more present in the taste than in the scent. Spices and pepper is very present. The pepper spice arrives first. Bready malts and sweetness come shortly after it. The pine is last to make it's presence known, but does a fine job carrying this beer to the finish line.

M: Not as hefty or as dry as I would have expected from a beer with this kind of flavor profile. Light. Refreshing.

D/O: An interesting, unique brew. I enjoyed my first several ounces. But this wore on my as I worked through the bomber. "Novelty beer", for sure. Glad I tried it. Do not feel a strong need to revisit it in the near future.

06-09-2012 00:03:22 | More by psuKinger
rfbenavi80

Missouri

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle kept at fridge temp. Poured into a Nonic Pint.
No bottle dating, but it does say Batch No. 1 on the back.
An aggressive pour.

A- Pours a slightly hazy deep golden almost orange color with 4 fingers of thick, soapy off white head that is receding slowly and does not appear to be lacing much.

S- Not exactly the most aromatic beer. Some mild earthy aromas, mixed with grains. Some spice notes.

T- Hmmmm. Kind of sweet. Very interesting, hard to put your finger on an exact flavor. There is some lemony citrus, a hint of salt, and various spices. Unique, with the sweet/salty lemon flavor.

M- On the high side of medium body. Moderate amount of carbonation.

O- This one seems pretty easy to drink. Glad I tried it, but not willing to front the 7 bucks for another bottle. It's great that Sam Adams has taken the time to look back through time and revive a long lost style, hats off to them. Keep the obscure styles coming, I will try them all.

08-20-2012 05:54:34 | More by rfbenavi80
dwren89

4.09/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearance: hazy, golden with reddish-orange hues when held to natural light, a white head that borders between creamy and fizzy, however lacking in size.

Aroma: Definite hints of coriander with a pervasive and biting salty whiff, an exotic aroma that is reminiscent of banana, green apple, and lemon/lime zest.

Taste: Both refreshing and spicy with a fruity finish reminiscent of baked apples and pears with peppery coriander kick and salinic, rather than hoppy or bitter, finish. Delightfully dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and soft on the palate from the unmalted wheat and quite refreshing. Medium bodied, slight carbonation prickle on the finish.

Overall Impression: A nice balance of salt, sweet (fruit), and dryness. This ale is noticeably different from most other weizens or wheat beers because of the salt added, and lack of hop bitterness. The smooth mouthfeel and refreshing fruitiness makes this a great thirst quencher, but the dryness keeps you coming back for swig after swig.

06-24-2013 19:23:22 | More by dwren89
mjtiernan

3.13/5  rDev -9.5%

1 pt. 6 fl. oz. poured into a globe. Can’t find a bottle date.

A: Cloudy golden with a fairly quick dissipating one finger white head. Above average lacing.

S: Very interesting. Heavy coriander. Some fruity Belgian qualities. A little buttery caramel (diacetyl?). Beyond that, the aromas are familiar but really difficult for me to put a finger on.

T: Nothing too sharp. Some butteriness. Lots of fresh coriander and orange peel. Pretty smooth overall. I guess there's a small amount of saltiness, but nothing more than I might normally notice.

M: Full flavored and interesting. Body is medium to full. Much fuller bodied than most other coriander “summer beers” that I’m used to. Carb is minimal.

O: Assuming this is an accurate example, I can see why this style hasn’t taken off. It has the summer flavor that appeals to many (not me), but is fairly heavy to drink and lacks the scrubbing bubbles that people ordinarily associate with warm weather refreshment.

10-19-2012 04:00:16 | More by mjtiernan
MatthewWilde

Sample: 1 bottle 2012

A: Medium orange in color, pours a small white head, heavy internal carbonation, translucent

S: Moderately fragrant, dominated by coriander and citrus fruit, elements of spice and some herbal notes as well

T: Much akin to the nose, citrus fruit and spice primarily, but definitely has a bit of a spicy and sour twang to it, moderately flavorful

M: Smooth and refreshing, but not surprising given the style and low abv, light orange peel aftertaste, not lingering or drying on the palate

O: Not bad, but nothing special, seems to be simply average, but not a bad value if you've never tried a gose

06-25-2012 01:48:18 | More by MatthewWilde
Furlinator

3.15/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours dark gold with a nice head and good lacing.

Smell is of rotting citrus fruit at first and buttery bread later.

Taste is reminiscent of a buttered biscuit up front followed by honey with a salty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thick, almost creamy with low carbonation.

Certainly a taste different from anything I've tasted before. Not really a style I prefer but, it seems well crafted and I can appreciate how others would enjoy it.

09-20-2013 06:08:58 | More by Furlinator
Verloren from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)