Norse Legend Sahti - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Norse Legend SahtiNorse Legend Sahti

to view more.
Ratings: 477 | Reviews: 157
Reviews by acevenom:
3.73/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours dark amber wtih an eggshell colored head. Plenty of bubbles can be seen rising from the bottom and the side of the glass. Some lacing is left on the side of the glass during consumption. There are aromas of dark roasted malts, alcohol, juniper, and citrus. There is a solid malty backbone with juniper and hops coming through in the flavor. It's mildly sweet, but also pretty well balanced with citrus, hop bitterness, and the juniper flavor adds nicely to this beer. I can also taste some of the alcohol in this one. The body is medium to full with adequate carbonation. The finish is slightly dry. The drinkability is high. Overall, this is a very good beer. It is certainly a quality beer from the Boston Beer Company.

3.2/5  rDev -9.1%

22oz brown bottle, no freshness date ... just a batch #.

LOOK: Clear tawny hue, decent lacing

SMELL: Spicy, juniper, loads of caramel, estery, earthy, cake batter, creamy

TASTE: Chewy medium body, slick, malty, caramel, bready, spicy juniper, mild hopping, raisins, very sweet finish

Strong ale with juniper, that is all we have here ... no rawness or tart character. Refined and too sweet. I want to cook with this beer a hell of a lot more than I want to drink it.

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, red/brown in color, high carbonation, clear

Smell: wood, berries, and light caramel--very pleasant but not overpowering

Taste: wood, earth, and berries dominate, there is a touch of grassy hops at the end and a taste of lavender throughout.

Mouthfeel: sweet start and body with slight bitterness towards the end--the taste lingers quite a bit, high carbonation, light body

Overall: I admit I have not had a lot of shati's to compare this with, but it is damn tasty. Very interesting and complex. One of the better small batch brews Sam Adams has come out with. I wish the bitterness was left off the end, but I would grab this again.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

The beer pours a hazy red-amber color with a white head. The aroma has a lot of toffee and caramel as well as a good dose of juniper. The flavor is similar. I get a good amount of juniper and some the toffee and bread notes. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A pretty good beer, although not as heavy on the juniper and gin-like notes as some other sahtis I have tried.

3.89/5  rDev +10.5%

Served on tap into a sampler glass.

Appearance: Darker amber color with a white head.

Smell: Interesting smell, reminded me of a stout, actually to be more exact it remined me of a Irish Car Bomb smell.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Medium bodied and thicker. Taste was not anything I was used to at all. Sweet with carmels maybe, and fruits, I think it is the junipers.

Overall: Decent brew, glad I tried it, probably will not have it again.

3.58/5  rDev +1.7%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Mug.

Appearance: Clear rich amber with thin head.

Smell: Toffee, sickly fruit, juniper. Odd and fairly faint aroma.

Taste: Juniper, tree bark, toffee. Somewhat bready and spicy. Herbal finish.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body that is somewhat lager-like.

Overall: This is just odd. I like the taste, but the aroma is a little out of whack. Also, while I have never had a truly traditional Sahti, I am sure this is not it. Shouldn't a Sahti be turgid with some wild yeast characteristics? This just seems like a stronger Amber Ale with some juniper and rye.

3.61/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: A beautifully clear ruddy brown. There's very little head, and what it has evaporates very quickly. Tiny bubbles continue to effervesce throughout. I like the way this looks.

S: The fragrance is pleasant but underwhelming for a sahti. There's a whiff of warm bread but not a lot else.

T: Malty, with a dash of earthy fruitiness (banana?). I am a bit surprised by how dry it is. There's also much less pepper here than I anticipated, not a tremendous amount of spice at all on the front end. The juniper is not particularly strong. There is a warm pleasing aftertaste however that is a bit peppery.

M: Just right. Not thin at all, maybe even leaning a little to the rich side. Deceptively low on booziness.

O: It's not a stunning beer, but I'd buy a bomber again for ~$6.50 and would recommend it to friends. You can really feel its potential; perhaps the bottle just needs to be aged a little longer or would be better on draft. At the very least, I think this would be a tremendous baseline for homebrewers who are considering their own sahti, simply because the appearance and mouthfeel are just right on target while there's room for improvement in terms of taste (sweeter and spicier please!).

3.95/5  rDev +12.2%

Norse Legend opens with a thick, malty nose resplendent with doughy wheat bread, yeasty baguette, floury French bread, and toast crust, all drizzled with molasses and honey and sprinkled with brown sugar. Orange and apricot fruit esters add nuance, as do touches of grapefruit and pine from the hops. There are also hints of caramel, vanilla, cookie, and cherry. But the yeasty, doughy malts by far win out, lending the beer a dark bread and molasses overtone. As a whole, the nose is very enticing, featuring a good range of darker aromas, tinged slightly by tantalizing fruit esters and pine. The aromas are slightly on the lighter side, and tend to fade relatively quickly, and so could have used a bit more body and staying power, but are otherwise quite nice.

On the tongue, the beer opens with a surprisingly peppery, spicy note, the juniper berries adding layers of pine, juniper, and pepper that immediately add layers of flavor not quite hinted at on the nose. The effect is noticeable and definitely not subtle, but at the same time not at all overpowering, about the level of a light juniper tea in terms of strength, blending nicely with the other flavors. Below the juniper spice are dark breads and molasses, as well as some touches of cherry, orange, and apricot sugars, and piney hops. The beer does get a little more woodsy and full of juniper, sap, and pine needle late in the mouthful as the sugars die off, and the aftertaste is a continuation of these latter flavors, with what seems to me like a slightly-too-strong mouthful-of-juniper-berries addition. Mouthfeel is medium-light to medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is good fare, and a nice addition to the Sam Adams Limited Release series. I did wish for a bit more body and potency in the beer, the 7% ABV and the concomitant lower sugar levels making for less strength and more wateriness than I would have preferred. Still, the flavors here are unique and nicely developed, offering excellent interplay and nuance. Worth trying.

Poured from 650 ml bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. Batch No. 1.

Appearance: Pours a very deep brownish amber orange with lots of rising bubbles. Big off white head giving about five fingers. Good retention and lots of lace around the glass.

Smell: Upfront aroma is very bready and malty like a Doppelbock. Big hints of caramel, toffee, and biscuit. Big hint of the juniper berries and some other dark fruit. Some rye like spice. Also some wood and a hint of citrus fruit. Brown sugar rounds it out. Smells pretty good.

Taste: As expected from the smell, a big malt profile. Lots of caramel, toffee, biscuit, and some dark fruits. The juniper berries are pretty noticeable and add a nice kick. Spice, wood, and citrus all from the berries according to the label. Also some brown sugar. A pretty nice spicy and fruity taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy and somewhat chewy and syrupy.

Overall: A pretty good brew. The spices and wood are a nice balance to the sweet malts. Nice to see a old style kept alive.

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

Pint glass at Laseters Tavern.

Pours a deep redish-brown with a creamy looking tan head. The head has medium duration, before reducing to a ring, but leaves leaves lots of varied sticky lacing. Unexpectedly clear.

Has a rather unusual aroma that is hard to describe but does include a breads malt base. 3.75.

The taste is also unusual and hard to describe beyond noting a modestly interesting woodsy and spicy flavor, probably juniper but it also seems that there is a significant hop component.

O: my first santi, I think. Worked well with a steak sandwich.

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%

Norse Legend, on tap at Ye Olde Cock n' Bull in Toledo, comes in the mug with little head to speak of but a layer of foam. The beer itself is a heavy (but not thick) red-brown. Lacing is left only in spotting, a bit light but consistent enough.
This is actually a pretty tough style to judge. I had no idea what it was going in, but I figured I'd give a solid brewery a try at something new. Smelling and tasting it, I thought it most reminiscent of a lighter sort of Scotch ale (read: not Wee Heavy). I get a moderate sweetness behind some light roasty notes and something peaty with a hint of fruits and vague spicing not of the peppery but kitchen variety. The nose is tougher because is was light, almost indistinct.
The flavor, I thought, worked it out well. It was stronger than the nose and offered a bit more in terms of complexity, and light notes of smoke and wood along with a dark, barley-like grains note eked their way out as well.
The feel, particularly reading the style profile was too light and thin, even a bit nondescript in the depth. It had enough to keep it going but wasn't particularly interesting.
Overall this is an interesting beer in a style unusual to the day. BBC does a respectable job here.

3.79/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a very pretty, deep, dark mahogany color, speckled with reddish highlights and a full finger of white-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic. Rich aromas of toasted malt, dried stone fruit, like raisins, apricots, prunes, as well as aromas of honey and dark molasses.

Taste: Interesting flavors of dried stone fruit up front, such as prunes, dates, figs and raisins, followed by strong notes of molasses and brown sugar-like sweetness. The beer finishes with a touch of herbaceous bitterness at the finish. Not quite hoppy, but herbaceous.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and pretty smooth as there is very little, but a touch, of carbonation. With an ABV of 7.0%, there is no alcohol on the palate.

Overall: A very tasty beer. I really like the flavors of dried stone fruit and molasses and brown sugar-like sweetness. The herbaceous bitterness as the finish provides a very interesting counterpoint as well.

4.01/5  rDev +13.9%

Part one of the Small Batch gift pack.

Pours a beautiful deep clear amber and packs a nice 3 finger fine off white head.

Just getting over my first cold in more than a long while, I'm not up to snuff (lol) in picking up aromas at the moment. Regardless, I do sense a fruity sharpness and a hint of yeast when burying my nose in the glass.

Initial sips are showing berries up front and a slight sourness though the middle. finish is a bit dry and clean.

Mouthfeel is moderate and slick. with fine gentle carbonation.

A nice start to my 3 day weekend!

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Beautiful dark amber color, crystal clear. A solid finger of head that leaves pleasant lacing.

S: While its cold the malt and juniper balance quite nicely. Notes of toasted malt, caramel then juniper/gin, stay in there to long and you start to get some medicinal notes

T: Very sweet to start with hint of the woods. I expected this to be much more overpowering. Tons of malt up front then hints of juniper and sweeter spice notes like clove, allspice, and coriander. Almost has a smoky quality. Very Christmassy.

M: A rich mouth feel, enjoyable but it could get a bit cloying.

O: As above I expected this to be much more in your face, smacked with a tree type of thing. I’m glad it was not. My first sip impression was “not so bad” witch for something off the beaten trail can be an ok impression. (I wish my attempted at a gruit had rated that high) I find this an enjoyable beer. I would not have more than one in a night and I may never grab this again, but I am glad to have tried it and would recommend it to my friends. I would say treat it like a barley wine. A sipper around the fire, split with a friend, cold winter night kind of thing.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Very noticeable hints of juniper. Full body. Medium-dark color. A bit of a boozy after-breath. Delicious beer though. Ive found its best consumed @ > 50 degrees F.

4.08/5  rDev +15.9%

22oz bottle served cold into an imperial pint glass.

Norse Legend is a deep amber brown with good clarity an thick white head. It has good retention and lacing.

Aroma is rich, malty, and slightly spicy.

Flavor is sweet up front but turns out to be fairly well balanced in the end. Toasty, caramel, pine, and slightly fruity. It's an unusual beer but enjoyable. Similar to a bock in the malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied an nicely carbonated.

Overall and interesting style and I'm glad I tried this one.

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hmm my first try of this style. It may had been better if I was not in a hotel, with a mostly frozen bottle which foamed heavily on opening. Such is life your not always home when you taste a beer.

It was my first try of the Sahti style and I really did not know what to expect. It is definitely earthy with the citrus and fruity taste they mention on the bottle. I having nothing to compare it to of this style have to say its pretty good in how I would expect something based on juniper to taste Tastes a bit like some of the Imperial stouts I have had.

A bit of woody taste a bit earthy a bit of bite at the end from the citrus and maybe a bit of frozen alcohol since it was frozen. From what I can tell it seems pretty good and I would try it again but maybe next time with one that does not explode in a bath of foam all over the table and computer nearby then I may be able to more faithfully review it...overall glad I bought and tried it and would try again.

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

A - dark caramel amber with a big, thick, dense, brownish head that has great retention

S - big bready aromas, cake batter, some caramel, a bit sweet

T - bready, sweet caramel, some faint pepper, some earthiness, the juniper berries are there but faint and mostly in the finish

M - medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this beer, but I'm not disappointed. It's very malty and a bit earthy. The berries are there and play nice with the malt bill. I would definitely recommend this. I'll probably buy another bottle.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Well this is a conundrum beer for me...do I rate this as for what the brewer intended or do I rate it as to whether I like the beer. In respect for this website I will rate as brewer intended...but I am not a fan of Sahti style beers. The beer poured clear amber with a thin white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a very I nice breeze of berries. The Taste is very fruity...perhaps the reason the Vikings averted scurvy??? There is a nice malt base that balances the fruitiness. The mouthfeel is medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall the beer is decent...a little to fruity for me....but solid offering by Sammy A!!!

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark reddish brown color with an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty faint, not a lot going on there. There is a little bit of sweetness from the malt along with some citrus from the juniper berries.

T- The taste like the aroma starts out pretty faint but there is a large wave of sweetness that comes through in the middle along with a citrusy fruitiness in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a lot of carbonation.

O- Overall, not bad but this beer was lacking a little for me.

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

Dark amber with some brownish orange mixed in. Fairly clear, though it's dark enough to be mostly opaque. The head is a contrast in white, but doesn't have much staying power. After swirling, it's got an attractive lace left behind.

It's got a refreshing smell of some lighter malts and just a bit of citrus and some some of red berry (I have no idea what color a juniper berry is, but it smells 'red').

Malty, but spicy and floral taste. I can't quite put my finger on the spices I'm tasting, but it's cinnamon-like and really works well with the other flavors.

Medium bodied. Starts off slightly sweet before the spices take over. It's never too spicy or too malty, it's very pleasant. There's some heat from the alcohol, but it's welcomed and happens relatively deep in the swallow.

I tend to think of Sam Adams' beers are generally overrated, but I really enjoyed this one. The beer has something, I'll just call it a 'pleasantness' to it. It's easy to drink and has moderate alcohol. A very good beer.

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%

Norse Legend is a very deep copper color. It’s crystal clear. Backlighting gives it a very bright scarlet appearance. Impressive color. A soft tan head covers the top and rises to a surprising two and a half fingers in height. Retention is very good as it took a while to completely dissipate. Lacing was sticky and quite thick. Looks good!

The nose is definitely a bit weak and needs strength in a big way. It kicks with off with a malty scent. Smells a bit sweet – like caramel or toffee. There’s perhaps a bit of light cocoa-ish chocolate, as well. There is a bit of light berry scent. It’s interesting, but isn’t exactly good. It does smell a bit earthy and grainy throughout. I’m not getting any alcohol. It doesn’t smell overtly bad, but it doesn’t smell good either. It’s average. A little work would easily improve it.

The flavor is rather consistent with the nose. The malt base tastes like a mix of caramel and chocolate varieties. It’s a little sweet. Cocoa is definitely noted and tastes equally as strong. Some light berry notes weave in and out, but never taste like the centerpiece. They’re not good or bad, just kind of there. They have sort of a tangy quality which isn’t all that appealing. It is grainy and earthy. Alcohol is definitely in the background, but doesn’t overwhelm the flavor. Finishes malty and a little tangy. It’s okay. Not great by any stretch.

Norse Legend has a medium body. Carbonation seems to be active, but never feels harsh. It’s not quite soft or creamy, but it’s not bad. It goes down alright, but the flavor holds it back a little. I wouldn’t say it’s very drinkable.

Honestly, I can’t imagine any reputable Norseman characterizing this beer as ‘legendary.’ It’s just okay in about every respect. Frankly, the flavor needs something to liven it up a bit. If you’re looking to simply try a Sahti, it’s worth grabbing a bottle. There are far better representations of the style though.

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

A: Dark amber and reddish--almost a dark copper with a steady, foamy 2 inch head; good lacing

S: Not as much going on here as I expected: some sweet malty grains with some of the sweet fruitiness presumably from the juniper berries--just not as much straight up juniper; some grass and herb notes as well; pleasant but perhaps a bit subdued

T: Not as sweet as aromas indicated; roasted malts up front and then the junipers help to balance out the sweetness; a really nice bitter finish

F: So creamy up front--unexpectedly so; the mouth feel is pretty good though it is a bit thin on the back end

O: This is a tasty beer although not as much of the herbs and juniper and twigs and stuff that I think of when I think of a sahti

3.83/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Two fingers of head on a clear, copper colored body.
The aroma is floral and juniper. It really smells like a boque of flowers.
The taste is mildly bitter with a light fruit flavor. It’s nice.
The texture is crisper with moderate carbonation and medium body.
It’s an easy drinker with a unique flavor.

4.11/5  rDev +16.8%

Pourer from a 22 oz into a corsendonk chalice- pours a pretty clear dark amber color with less than a finger of head that recedes quickly to very little foam around the edges. A few spots of lacing. Beautiful color.

Not too much on the smell- maybe a bit of juniper and malt sweetness. Could be more.

I think it tastes really good- very smooth and sweet but not too sweet by any means. Not a traditional beer at all. Juniper on the front of the tongue and lasts for a long time. Malt sweetness and a little booze in the middle.

Mouthfeel is nice- medium bodies with a little creaky carbonation. Pretty refreshing. I like it but from what I've read about the style, nit exactly how it should be. Give it a try.

Paired with some norwegian goat cheese- excellent.

to view more.
Norse Legend Sahti from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)