Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Norse Legend Sahti - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Norse Legend SahtiNorse Legend Sahti

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: jneiswender on 01-17-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Norse Legend Sahti Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

I don't have a lot of experience with this style, so not much of a baseline, just keep that in mind. Served in a straight pint glass. Poured a very attractive, clean, clear,dark copper color with 1 inch of off-white head that had low retention and light lacing.

The aroma was mostly sweet malts, with a light spice/pine scent. The taste was nearly identical, but the spiciness seemed a bit more noticeable. The body was nicely full, although a bit sticky. Drinkability was OK, but this would be 1 at a time beer for me, mostly due to the sweetness. Overall, a nice enough example, would probably be a decent introductory brew.

3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Picked up a four pack of Sam Adams small batch bombers from Sams Club on clearance, was only $13, I assume this was from Christmas time, but since they were all higher ABV and not hop forward (2 of them stouts) I figured I'd give it a try.

Poured from 22oz bottle (Batch #2) into snifter with a 1 in head, color is a dark red.

Aroma is of berries, toasted oak, caramel - rather pleasant

Taste is a bit weak, getting the berries but not much else.

Moutfeel is medium body, carbonation is rather low but might be due to the bottle being old.

Overall - It's an okay brew, a bit refreshing on a hot day so glad I chose to enjoy it now. The only other Sahti I've had is DFH's Sah'tea and I definitely liked that one better.

3.37/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a brown 22 oz bomber into a 50 cL glass stein with a textured outer surface. Bottle has no date of any kind, but the label is marked "Batch No. 1", which I believe would place it's bottling around May 2012.

Appearance - Poured aggressively, yielding a 3/4ths finger head that dissipates after 60-90 seconds. Head is the color of toasted coconut and sits atop a beautiful brown body, like orangish-gold topaz or tiger's eye. Dark enough to be opaque except for the wonderfully-colored edges.

Smell - Not terribly appealing to me. Mostly the characteristic of the Sam Adams house malt as well as some spicy notes from the rye. I detect a faint aroma that borders on vegetal/fruity in quality.

Taste - Unfortunately, the taste isn't a great deal better than the smell lets on. Now I get a more distinct reading of juniper berrries. Tiny, almost imperceptible tartness on the front that quickly rounds into the juniper along with some malty bittersweetness and a watery, metallic finishing taste.

Mouthfeel - Thin-bodied, which is contrary to the chewy beer I expected based on reading about the style. Medium-to-light carbonation and a semi-dry finish.

Overall, a rather disappointing sampling from Sam Adams. It's the first sahti I've had the opportunity to taste, so I can't completely rate to style, but this seemed to lack the body and the tartness that supposedly comes with this style. Based on my guess at the bottling date, I am over a year late to this beer, so if I found fresh bottle, I might try it fresh to see if it was any better.

3.67/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a standard pint.

A: Medium brown. Pours a 1 finger, foamy, brownish head. Settles slowly. Leaves a thick foam blanket. Persistent beer ring lacing.

S: Caramel, raisin, and maple syrup.

T: Earthy and peaty malt, raisin, licorice, tea leaf, molasses, and a distinct flavor of whiskey.

M: Syrupy body. Sweet in the front with a bitter, lingering finish. Liquor feel is pervasive despite not really being a high alcohol brew.

D: Sip and savor.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Nice foamy head, and some persistent lacing. Nose is sweet characteristics only with very little malt or grain. Earthy with sweet raisin, bitter licorice and a noteworthy whiskey flavor. Syrupy and thick. Overall, this is a pretty good quaff.

3.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hmm my first try of this style. It may had been better if I was not in a hotel, with a mostly frozen bottle which foamed heavily on opening. Such is life your not always home when you taste a beer.

It was my first try of the Sahti style and I really did not know what to expect. It is definitely earthy with the citrus and fruity taste they mention on the bottle. I having nothing to compare it to of this style have to say its pretty good in how I would expect something based on juniper to taste Tastes a bit like some of the Imperial stouts I have had.

A bit of woody taste a bit earthy a bit of bite at the end from the citrus and maybe a bit of frozen alcohol since it was frozen. From what I can tell it seems pretty good and I would try it again but maybe next time with one that does not explode in a bath of foam all over the table and computer nearby then I may be able to more faithfully review it...overall glad I bought and tried it and would try again.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

A: pours a clear dark copper with a finger of light tan head that fades into a sudsy ring with a little lacing

S: it's difficult to pick out individual aromas in this beer. I get caramel malts and vanilla, Belgian candy sugar, a little lavender, some crystallized ginger and pineapple, and sweet breads.

T: similar to the aroma, it's difficult to pin down the exact flavors I'm tasting. There are Belgian-like spices, caramel malts, vanilla, candy sugar, bread, some sweet floral flavors, and a little ginger.

M: medium-light body with lowish, soda-like carbonation. It feels just a little watery.

O: an interesting and solid beer overall. Sahtis are hardly my specialty, so it's difficult to compare it to other examples of the style, but it was an enjoyable beer overall.

4.44/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Nice rich red/amber color with a nice head

S - Citrusy herbal berry, very nice and pleasing aroma

T - This beer has a nice smooth flavor thats a little bitter but has a nice fruity kick to it.

M - This beer is carbonated well and has good body.

O - Overall I really enjoyed this beer and will have to include this in the rotation.

4.06/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first thing that hits you as you pour it out is the sharp aroma of brandy, strong and sweet with plenty of fruit undertones. Raisins and light breads smells also come through and there is that slight definitive smell of alcohol. It pours out a dark murky brown color and is topped off with a thin head that quickly forms a small ring around the glass. The lacing is thin but very covers every inch of the glass. It taste is rather surprising, it’s light and tart, very refreshing; it bitter around the edges of the mouth and you can pick up some woody flavors, mild berries. This is a very refreshing find and I’ll definitely be buying this one again.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opens with a huge crack and bubbles immediately try to escape, luckily my cat like reflexes got the bottle top into the glass before any product was wasted. Deep clear reddish brown with a huge off white head that takes forever to recede. The aroma is spicy, no shit huh? It doesn't strike me as much different from a Belgian strong dark honestly. Dark caramelized and brown sugars with some dark fruit and a virtual spice rack of aromas that range from nutmeg to coriander to mint. Juniper berries perhaps? The flavor is rich and malty with lots of dark sugary flavor. There's an earthy spicy woody component in there that I can only assume comes from juniper somehow. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet light syrups mouthfeel. Not a bad brew, but honestly not my cup of tea.

4.18/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is the perfect beer for an evening in Skyrim. It struck my fancy when I happened upon it at my favorite beer shop, and so I bought it. I had never tasted a Sahti before, but I was certainly intrigued by the historical relevance of such a brew.

It pours a rather dark red, with a darker head. It smells earthy and herbal, though you can pick up notes of toffee and roasted malts. The flavor proceeds from the smell rather well, balancing the earthy juniper flavors with the roasted and toffee malt characteristics.

This is a rather enjoyable beer and is rather enjoyable in the winter. If you're a dark beer lover or Samuel Adams fan, give this one a shot. You won't be disappointed.

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a 25oz snifter, is light brown and topped with a pillowy, ivory head that holds good retention. Aromas are better than expected, woodsy, earthy, herby, raisin, spice, and what I assume juniper. Tastes are complex and earthy, with peat, juniper, woodsy, bready, caramel, raisin, sour spice, rye, dry white wine, faintly medicinal - all flavors meld better once it warms. Creamy medium body, nice carbonation. Overall it's different, but better than expected. I've only had 1 other Sahti to compare this to, so it's a tough style for comparison purposes. As a beer, it's weird but not too bad at all. I've got friends in Finland, so I was very interested in trying this one. I get what they were going for here, but it definitely isn't authentic as far as ingredients go, but I can look past that.

3.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Clear ruby, not much carbonation one finger head.

S-Smoke, wood, juniper berries, spices, grass and caramel

T-Unbalanced, juniper, wood and smoke, not all together. Caramel and molasses as well.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation.

O-DFH's was better. Balance needs to be improved but still then nothing in this beer sticks out.

2.19/5  rDev -38.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From undated bomber but states Batch #1.

Aroma is sweet musky flowers. Pours deep coppery red with a thin non-lasting off white head.
Taste is like a sour version of an Irish red ale, actually very off putting! I was expecting something more Gin-like . This tastes like it WAS dredged up from a thousand year old Viking ship! Caveat to the reader, I never drank a Sahti before so I may not be the best guide to this brew! (But this brew makes me sure not to drink one again!).

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

A: This poured a clear garnet with some light tan head.
S: It smelled like copper hops and roasted barley, with some creamy yeast and a hint of juniper and caramel.
T: It tasted like sweet caramel and roasted barley malt, with some copper hops and creamy yeast. It had a clean and mild bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was somewhat thick and oily with a little carbonation. Nice slick body.
D: I'm not sure where the Sahti character was, since no juniper was really noticeable. The scent and taste were like a red ale or Oktoberfest. Not unpleasant at all, but way off for the style (and therefore disappointing). Did I just sit on this too long, and all the uniqueness already faded?

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Two fingers of head on a clear, copper colored body.
The aroma is floral and juniper. It really smells like a boque of flowers.
The taste is mildly bitter with a light fruit flavor. It’s nice.
The texture is crisper with moderate carbonation and medium body.
It’s an easy drinker with a unique flavor.

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; Batch 1, bottled in Spring 2012. Moderately fast gusher upon opening. Pours lightly hazy red copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Slight spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, juniper, raisin, wood, floral, earth, and herbal. Damn nice aromas with good balance, strength, and complexity of malt and juniper notes. Taste of caramel, toast, toffee, molasses, brown sugar, juniper, wood, raisin, floral, earth, grass, and herbal earthiness. Lingering notes of caramel, toffee, toast, brown sugar, floral, earth, raisin, wood, juniper, and herbal on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of malty flavors with the juniper notes; with zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium full bodied; with a very creamy and fairly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice take on the Sahti style! Great malt complexity and balance of juniper flavors; and extremely smooth to sip on. I really enjoyed this one.

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Reddish-copper in color with a 2 1/2 finger pale tan head. Great lacing. Crystal clear. Reminds me of Mad Elf, just a bit darker in color in body and head.

Fresh, almost hoplike aroma of the juniper berries is forefront, light citrus and sweet toasted malt back it up.

The taste was a bit of a let down after the aroma. Mostly sweet toasted malt with some acid citrus and the borderline harsh taste of alcohol. Some light earthiness , but not so much as a saisson. It seemed a bit raw at first, but it improved as the beer warmed.

Decent mouthfeel. Medium to medium thick. Light syrup on the tongue, and light burn in the throat.

This beer definitely gets better as it warms. I'm not sure how authentic a sahti it is though. There was zero sediment in my bottle.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This poured clear brown with a huge foamy head that stuck around for awhile.

It has a different earthy smell, probably from the Juniper. The Juniper adds an interesting element but the taste is a little too sweet and a little too refined and simple.

I haven't had a Sahti before that I can remember so I wasn't sure what to expect from the style. I was expecting something more rustic, cloudy and more complex. I'm glad I tried it but I don't really need to have this again.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a two-fingered white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Medium carbonation and medium body. Crystal clear copper/amber color. Nose is light malt and bready, flavor is malty with a light juniper bite. 22oz bottle $6 Market Basket Concord, NH.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

22-oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A - 3 fingers of khaki foam over a transparent body of red amber, a few rising bubbles of carbonation

S - spice, cherry-like fruit (juniper?), malty sweetness, yeast

T - peppery spice, caramel sweetness, fruity/herbal notes; sweet pink grapefruit and booze in the finish

M - thick medium/full body, medium carbonation, very smooth

O - I wasn't quite sure what to expect of my first Sahti, but I think I like it. Would drink again.

3.77/5  rDev +5.9%

Had some at my parents for the holidays. The drink had a dark brown-amber appearance with a decent head that became thin lacing eventually. Aromas had a solid malt flavor with some vanilla and bread hints. The drink was tasty with a strong butter flavor and a slight cherry aftertaste. Medium body and decently creamy. Overall, pretty good for the holidays.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Well this is a conundrum beer for me...do I rate this as for what the brewer intended or do I rate it as to whether I like the beer. In respect for this website I will rate as brewer intended...but I am not a fan of Sahti style beers. The beer poured clear amber with a thin white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a very I nice breeze of berries. The Taste is very fruity...perhaps the reason the Vikings averted scurvy??? There is a nice malt base that balances the fruitiness. The mouthfeel is medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall the beer is decent...a little to fruity for me....but solid offering by Sammy A!!!

4.01/5  rDev +12.6%

Part one of the Small Batch gift pack.

Pours a beautiful deep clear amber and packs a nice 3 finger fine off white head.

Just getting over my first cold in more than a long while, I'm not up to snuff (lol) in picking up aromas at the moment. Regardless, I do sense a fruity sharpness and a hint of yeast when burying my nose in the glass.

Initial sips are showing berries up front and a slight sourness though the middle. finish is a bit dry and clean.

Mouthfeel is moderate and slick. with fine gentle carbonation.

A nice start to my 3 day weekend!

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass. This is the first I have had of this style, so the review is based on the beer versus other similar beers.

A=Darker red color, with a thinner whitish head. A bit darker than anticipated.

S=Slight hint of fruitiness/berries.

T=Similar to an amber, but lighter and somewhat sweet...a very faint hint of berries, with some maltiness.

M=Not much body; low carbonation; rather drinkable.

O=Nothing special here...reminded me of a reddish amber with a hint of berries in the background. Will only buy again if on sale and then only for aging.

3.06/5  rDev -14%

A - clear deep amber color with a thick off-white head that is well retained

S - sweet malt with hints of caramel and some hints of juniper

T - sweet malt up front with moderate juniper associated flavors throughout, finishes slightly dry

M - medium-full body with moderate carbonation

O - This is certainly not one of the better of the small batch series produced by Boston Beer Company. The absence of other spice components make this fairly basic and 'one-dimensional'. The yeast used here isn't very interesting as well - not enough funkiness.

Norse Legend Sahti from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)