Norse Legend Sahti - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Norse Legend SahtiNorse Legend Sahti

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: jneiswender on 01-17-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Norse Legend Sahti Alström Bros

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; Batch 1, bottled in Spring 2012. Moderately fast gusher upon opening. Pours lightly hazy red copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Slight spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, juniper, raisin, wood, floral, earth, and herbal. Damn nice aromas with good balance, strength, and complexity of malt and juniper notes. Taste of caramel, toast, toffee, molasses, brown sugar, juniper, wood, raisin, floral, earth, grass, and herbal earthiness. Lingering notes of caramel, toffee, toast, brown sugar, floral, earth, raisin, wood, juniper, and herbal on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of malty flavors with the juniper notes; with zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium full bodied; with a very creamy and fairly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice take on the Sahti style! Great malt complexity and balance of juniper flavors; and extremely smooth to sip on. I really enjoyed this one. (1,233 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

Reddish-copper in color with a 2 1/2 finger pale tan head. Great lacing. Crystal clear. Reminds me of Mad Elf, just a bit darker in color in body and head.

Fresh, almost hoplike aroma of the juniper berries is forefront, light citrus and sweet toasted malt back it up.

The taste was a bit of a let down after the aroma. Mostly sweet toasted malt with some acid citrus and the borderline harsh taste of alcohol. Some light earthiness , but not so much as a saisson. It seemed a bit raw at first, but it improved as the beer warmed.

Decent mouthfeel. Medium to medium thick. Light syrup on the tongue, and light burn in the throat.

This beer definitely gets better as it warms. I'm not sure how authentic a sahti it is though. There was zero sediment in my bottle. (766 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This poured clear brown with a huge foamy head that stuck around for awhile.

It has a different earthy smell, probably from the Juniper. The Juniper adds an interesting element but the taste is a little too sweet and a little too refined and simple.

I haven't had a Sahti before that I can remember so I wasn't sure what to expect from the style. I was expecting something more rustic, cloudy and more complex. I'm glad I tried it but I don't really need to have this again. (477 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a two-fingered white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Medium carbonation and medium body. Crystal clear copper/amber color. Nose is light malt and bready, flavor is malty with a light juniper bite. 22oz bottle $6 Market Basket Concord, NH. (273 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +12.3%

22-oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A - 3 fingers of khaki foam over a transparent body of red amber, a few rising bubbles of carbonation

S - spice, cherry-like fruit (juniper?), malty sweetness, yeast

T - peppery spice, caramel sweetness, fruity/herbal notes; sweet pink grapefruit and booze in the finish

M - thick medium/full body, medium carbonation, very smooth

O - I wasn't quite sure what to expect of my first Sahti, but I think I like it. Would drink again. (471 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Had some at my parents for the holidays. The drink had a dark brown-amber appearance with a decent head that became thin lacing eventually. Aromas had a solid malt flavor with some vanilla and bread hints. The drink was tasty with a strong butter flavor and a slight cherry aftertaste. Medium body and decently creamy. Overall, pretty good for the holidays. (357 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Well this is a conundrum beer for me...do I rate this as for what the brewer intended or do I rate it as to whether I like the beer. In respect for this website I will rate as brewer intended...but I am not a fan of Sahti style beers. The beer poured clear amber with a thin white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a very I nice breeze of berries. The Taste is very fruity...perhaps the reason the Vikings averted scurvy??? There is a nice malt base that balances the fruitiness. The mouthfeel is medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall the beer is decent...a little to fruity for me....but solid offering by Sammy A!!! (634 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +12%

Part one of the Small Batch gift pack.

Pours a beautiful deep clear amber and packs a nice 3 finger fine off white head.

Just getting over my first cold in more than a long while, I'm not up to snuff (lol) in picking up aromas at the moment. Regardless, I do sense a fruity sharpness and a hint of yeast when burying my nose in the glass.

Initial sips are showing berries up front and a slight sourness though the middle. finish is a bit dry and clean.

Mouthfeel is moderate and slick. with fine gentle carbonation.

A nice start to my 3 day weekend! (554 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. This is the first I have had of this style, so the review is based on the beer versus other similar beers.

A=Darker red color, with a thinner whitish head. A bit darker than anticipated.

S=Slight hint of fruitiness/berries.

T=Similar to an amber, but lighter and somewhat sweet...a very faint hint of berries, with some maltiness.

M=Not much body; low carbonation; rather drinkable.

O=Nothing special here...reminded me of a reddish amber with a hint of berries in the background. Will only buy again if on sale and then only for aging. (576 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -14.5%

A - clear deep amber color with a thick off-white head that is well retained

S - sweet malt with hints of caramel and some hints of juniper

T - sweet malt up front with moderate juniper associated flavors throughout, finishes slightly dry

M - medium-full body with moderate carbonation

O - This is certainly not one of the better of the small batch series produced by Boston Beer Company. The absence of other spice components make this fairly basic and 'one-dimensional'. The yeast used here isn't very interesting as well - not enough funkiness. (551 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -3.4%

Crystal clear, copper body with a sticky, clinging head. Heavy sweet malt scent; caramel and toffee primarily. Heavy, sweet malt flavors also dominate the taste with some juniper and, to me, slightly smokey hint; some dark fruit hints, but nothing too extreme. Rich, heavy feel; smooth on the tongue with a residual hint of pine or juniper.

I don't know. I was expecting more of a juniper and pine character where all I got was a strong malt sweetness overall. Certainly not a bad beer, but something I would look at as more of a Scottish ale or even a wee heavy. Would I drink it again? Sure, it's tasty. Would I consider this a fine example of the sahti style? No, at least based on the style description on BA. I find very little in this beer that fits that profile. Maybe Norse Legend Sahti doesn't meet my expectations of what the beer should be, it's still a nice beverage to kick back with... (900 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium amber-brown with a haze-free body and a moderate effervescence. Head pours a thick finger of frothy tan foam. Attractive, although not as turbid as the style definition suggests it might be.

Smell: crystal malt character with some sweet caramel and dry toastiness mixed together. The nose of juniper is definitely present as well. Interesting. Balanced, although the malt character here isn't my favorite.

Taste: sweeter caramel character than the aroma, with less toastiness present. The juniper is of a different character here; while in the aroma, it had more of an evergreen feel, here there is an earthier, more bitter element, especially in the strong finish. Quite balanced and actually quite tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a well-integrated carbonation and a mammoth, silky-smooth creaminess. Love it!

Overall: this is a good beer, although I think I like it more for its novelty than as something I'd want regularly. The juniper creates a good bitterness, but the overall woodiness is a bit much for any kind of session drinking. (1,109 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -3.4%

22oz poured into a Duvel Tulip. Batch #1.

Appearance: Clear dark coppery red when held up to the light. An initial thick rocky light tan foam died down to a 1/4-1/8" foam. Plenty of lacing in strands all over the glass. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Juniper (gin like) dominates the aroma here - I'm not getting a lot else.

Taste: Very unusual. Definite Juniper/spruce flavor mixed in with some deep caramel and buttery notes mixed in. The finish is a little bitter....can't quite put my finger on it as to what that bitter flavor is, but it's there to finish things off. It's like an unusual combination of lemon and pine at the end. Maybe they did hop his beer after all?

Mouthfeel: Slick, light carbonation on the tongue, the thickness is just south of creamy, but it is definitely smooth.

Overall / Drinkability: I've never had a Sahti before so it's hard to rate this one on style. If I read the Beer Advocate description is has some features of the beer (mouthfeel, juniper) but not others (turbidity in appearance). So let me instead state what I think of this as a beer. The Juniper works well as a hop substitute, although there are times where I think I'm drinking a beer spiked with Gin. Could be I'm not a big fan of Juniper. Nice looking beer, feels good going down....not really great in taste and smell. Interesting yes. A great beer? No. Drinkability - I could not finish off the bomber myself even over 2 hours (corked the bottle and kept it in the fridge while I finished the first glass) and so one big glass is more than enough. I think I would give the style a try again, but with food, and not this particular beer again. A good beer to try, but not good for a repeat. (1,695 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -10.6%

22oz brown bottle, no freshness date ... just a batch #.

LOOK: Clear tawny hue, decent lacing

SMELL: Spicy, juniper, loads of caramel, estery, earthy, cake batter, creamy

TASTE: Chewy medium body, slick, malty, caramel, bready, spicy juniper, mild hopping, raisins, very sweet finish

Strong ale with juniper, that is all we have here ... no rawness or tart character. Refined and too sweet. I want to cook with this beer a hell of a lot more than I want to drink it. (470 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Auburn to coppery red, clear, rising bubbles, a light tan head about one finger, with some sticky lacing.

Lots of toffee, caramel, nuts, fruits (mainly dark), spices, a light woodiness.

Taste is more notable on the juniper/wood notes, plenty of caramel and toffee like malts, a little sweetness, some fruitiness, cherries noted, a little brown sugar and some alcohol.

Body is pretty light with ample carbonation, along with a residual sweetness and slick feel.

It's an interesting beer. I only have one other example of the style to compare to, so it's hard to say whether this is a great sahti or not. However, it's certainly tasty in my glass. (650 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 22-oz. bomber
Glass: Karl Strauss pint
From: Costco in San Marcos, Calif., on Dec. 6, 2012
Price: $20 for Small Batch Collection variety 4-pack
BOD: None, “Batch 2” on back of label

Auburn amber with two fingers of khaki tan head. Average-to-above average lacing on the sides. Retention started out good, but got pretty thin half way down the pint glass.

Smelled toffee, caramel, roasted nuts, dark fruit and black cherry. Could smell the alcohol for sure, but it was smooth.

Tasted not quite as good as the smell, but similar. Got the dark fruits first. The bottle says Juniper berries, but I don’t know what those are. I kind of got dates and dark cherry. Also some toffee, roasted bitter nuts, some rye and still that hint of liquor.

Medium body. Thin, oily texture. Average carbonation. Long smooth finish.

My first new rating for a Sam Adams in a long time. Big fan of the company and the presentation of the Small Batch Collection pack. Not a bad beer overall, I may have homered it a little bit. (1,022 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +4.2%

From: Binny's, Bolingbrook, IL
Date: None, "Batch 1" on back of label
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

More "wet forest" aroma and scent-like than the only other sahti I've had, this beer pulls more from juniper than, perhaps, it's original brethren (the Finnish sahti I had was much more intensely caramel heavy and doppelbock-like than this). I enjoyed this for its unique flavors and for avoiding becoming boring or one-dimensional throughout the entire bomber. Not a beer I'd find myself going back to repeatedly, but one I'm glad SA brewed and I was able to try.

Pours a 3cm tall head, composed of small bubbles of a modestly dark tan color, appearing quite frothy and dense. Retention is excellent, as might be expected from the tight packing of bubbles. Head eventually falls to a thin cap atop the body of the beer. Lacing is rather average, a few small splotches and dots of residual foam across the sides of the glass. Body is a very dark amber brown color, transparent, with light revealing brighter red and orange hues. Carbonation is visible and substantial.

Aroma of a toffee-scented ale aged on juniper wood, yielding some "wet forest" scents; some ripe, watery blackberries; and vague spiciness (phenols?).

Taste involves substantial juniper twig/wood flavor over a toffee-like malt base with hints of pine-like juniper needles/berries and phenolic spiciness. Front of palate picks up strong juniper wood with caramel-colored malt base: sweet with solid juniper wood flavors. Mid-palate is of ale soaked on juniper wood, a toffee-like malt composition, and some spiciness from juniper wood, needles, or berries. Back of palate picks up continued toffee-like malts, and a bit of ethanol, particularly as this warms. Aftertaste of toffee malt sweetness and lingering juniper wood or "wet forest" scents.

Beer is medium bodied, with medium-intensity carbonation that results in a slightly prickly at first, but quickly foamy and smooth afterwards. Closes semi-dryly. (1,982 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -11.5%

I've been slacking on jotting notes about beers, especially on here, but I felt inspired tonight, and plan on writing on here more often. I have been picking up a few of these Sam Adams "experimental" brews, and trying them out. I guess I actually get to review Norse Legend. When I saw this at the store, it was the first Sahti I had seen, or even heard of for that matter. I decided to culture myself and learn a little more about this style. Surfing the interwebs, including BA, I learned that this style is quite historic, and I am happy that Sam Adams has shined its old light into my eyes. Anyway...

Poured into a pint glass from a 22 oz. bottle.

A- Chestnut body with a two finger head, yellow-white, retaining as a frothy film throughout consumption, and abundant lacing left behind.

S- Roasted caramel, with a slight, alcoholic sting in the background. No apparent hoppiness in the smell.

T- Sweet, roasted, almost smoky malt, maybe a little brown sugar, with a bit of a piney, citrus bite. The juniper evergreen-ness hangs around.

M- Smooth, and much lighter than I expected. Medium body, very drinkable.

O- I'm glad I was introduced to this style of beer. After doing my research, I learned that Sam Adams did a few things differently in the brewing process than people who have made more traditional Sahti: using juniper berries instead of branches, and hopping the beer. I'm not saying this is a bad method, because I'm sure it is much more conventional for mass production, but I look forward to trying a more traditional Sahti, someday. I like Norse Legend. It is nothing spectacular, but it is a fine tasting beer. It has also reminded me that there is so much out there that I don't even know, and that my beer tasting journey has barely begun. (1,768 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle

A- Pours a dark reddish brown color with an off-white head with good retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is pretty faint, not a lot going on there. There is a little bit of sweetness from the malt along with some citrus from the juniper berries.

T- The taste like the aroma starts out pretty faint but there is a large wave of sweetness that comes through in the middle along with a citrusy fruitiness in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a lot of carbonation.

O- Overall, not bad but this beer was lacking a little for me. (555 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

This is kind of a nose-wrinkler, but taste pretty good. The juniper berries are well in evidence, but pleasant. Handsome coppery amber in the tall Stella glass. Plenty of foam and well carbonated on the tongue. Nose is fruity and spicy like some kind of Christmas relish.

Rather sweet and fruity. It's a little on the spicy side but could use a little more edge. A delicate balance and makes you appreciate the simple resiny bitterness of good old hops. A little herbal and medicinal, but not overly bitter. This may be a cleaned-up and sweeter version of the old brew. It's hard to drink much at once, but it's intriguing.

You can't fault the way Boston makes all the elements work, and packages this with nice foam and beery substance. From the 22 oz bottle bought at Liticker's in San Diego. (796 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Liked this one after a few disappointments from Sam’s. Strange but pleasant color (a little blusih/purple tint to it), not very carbonated. A bit on the sweet (molasses or dark brown sugary) and chewy side, thick mouth feel.Very malty in a Belgian kind of way. Definitely get the juniper berry taste - kind of a nice Tanqueray tang to it that helps cut the sweetness. Bought a couple more. Interesting and tasty. Nice for a change of pace, although I don't know how representative of the style it really is. I do like the juniper berry flavor.

From notes...

Update: Opened a bottle that was six months old from purchase date. This has mellowed quite a bit and the gin-like component is pretty subdued. Still present, but more an afterthought than it was. Sweet and malty flavors, caramel/toffee more forward. Sweet but not sticky-sweet. Still a decent beer to drink in my opinion, but I'd rather have it fresh with the juniper more prominent. More brown in color versus original notes. (989 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -15.9%

A- Clear deep brown body with a near white head that leaves a sparse light lacing.

A- Sweet large malt aroma. Not much juniper initially, but hints of it come in.

T- Intensely sweet malt flavor up front, brown sugar and molasses. Some bitterness comes in at the end and stays through the finish. Metallic flavors at the end as well. The more I taste this, the more the juniper taste comes to play, but never even close to overwhelming.

M- Medium to heavy body that likes to coat your mouth and stick around a bit. Moderate-low carbonation.

D- Not as awful as it could have been, not as great as it could have been either. I would have liked more juniper and less metallic taste. A bit on the boozy sweet side, so not exactly sessionable. (741 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours garnet brown with a thick two finger head of off-white foam.

Juniper, spice, caramel, and toffee.

Slight spice, juniper, oak, toffee, and heavy caramel note.

Medium-heavy bodied, medium-high carbonation, caramel/toffee sweetness, and some berry tartness.

Overall, not mind blowing, but certainly not terrible. An interesting style and worth a repeat sampling. (369 characters)

3.58/5  rDev 0%

1 pint 6oz bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It has a burnt orange body with amber highlights. Two inches of tan head feebly cling to the sides of the glass.

S - I smelled juniper as soon as I opened the bottle. Once I poured it in my glass I smelled a lot of malt. It reminded me of cereal.

T - I tasted all malt up front. I tasted some dark berries. The juniper came in the finish and lingered in the aftertaste.

M - Medium with little carbonation.

O - The malt and the juniper remind me of a Christmas beer. (523 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Beautiful dark amber color, crystal clear. A solid finger of head that leaves pleasant lacing.

S: While its cold the malt and juniper balance quite nicely. Notes of toasted malt, caramel then juniper/gin, stay in there to long and you start to get some medicinal notes

T: Very sweet to start with hint of the woods. I expected this to be much more overpowering. Tons of malt up front then hints of juniper and sweeter spice notes like clove, allspice, and coriander. Almost has a smoky quality. Very Christmassy.

M: A rich mouth feel, enjoyable but it could get a bit cloying.

O: As above I expected this to be much more in your face, smacked with a tree type of thing. I’m glad it was not. My first sip impression was “not so bad” witch for something off the beaten trail can be an ok impression. (I wish my attempted at a gruit had rated that high) I find this an enjoyable beer. I would not have more than one in a night and I may never grab this again, but I am glad to have tried it and would recommend it to my friends. I would say treat it like a barley wine. A sipper around the fire, split with a friend, cold winter night kind of thing. (1,162 characters)

Norse Legend Sahti from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)