2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Norse Legend Sahti - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Norse Legend SahtiNorse Legend Sahti

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Sahti |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Jason on 04-21-2012)
View: Beers (119) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Norse Legend Sahti Alström Bros
Ratings: 434 | Reviews: 149 | Show All Ratings:
vickersspitfire

4.09/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The first thing that hits you as you pour it out is the sharp aroma of brandy, strong and sweet with plenty of fruit undertones. Raisins and light breads smells also come through and there is that slight definitive smell of alcohol. It pours out a dark murky brown color and is topped off with a thin head that quickly forms a small ring around the glass. The lacing is thin but very covers every inch of the glass. It taste is rather surprising, it’s light and tart, very refreshing; it bitter around the edges of the mouth and you can pick up some woody flavors, mild berries. This is a very refreshing find and I’ll definitely be buying this one again.

05-20-2013 03:27:55 | More by vickersspitfire
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle opens with a huge crack and bubbles immediately try to escape, luckily my cat like reflexes got the bottle top into the glass before any product was wasted. Deep clear reddish brown with a huge off white head that takes forever to recede. The aroma is spicy, no shit huh? It doesn't strike me as much different from a Belgian strong dark honestly. Dark caramelized and brown sugars with some dark fruit and a virtual spice rack of aromas that range from nutmeg to coriander to mint. Juniper berries perhaps? The flavor is rich and malty with lots of dark sugary flavor. There's an earthy spicy woody component in there that I can only assume comes from juniper somehow. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet light syrups mouthfeel. Not a bad brew, but honestly not my cup of tea.

04-26-2013 23:46:33 | More by johnnnniee
jmendels

4.19/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is the perfect beer for an evening in Skyrim. It struck my fancy when I happened upon it at my favorite beer shop, and so I bought it. I had never tasted a Sahti before, but I was certainly intrigued by the historical relevance of such a brew.

It pours a rather dark red, with a darker head. It smells earthy and herbal, though you can pick up notes of toffee and roasted malts. The flavor proceeds from the smell rather well, balancing the earthy juniper flavors with the roasted and toffee malt characteristics.

This is a rather enjoyable beer and is rather enjoyable in the winter. If you're a dark beer lover or Samuel Adams fan, give this one a shot. You won't be disappointed.

03-30-2013 23:33:07 | More by jmendels
barnzy78

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into a 25oz snifter, is light brown and topped with a pillowy, ivory head that holds good retention. Aromas are better than expected, woodsy, earthy, herby, raisin, spice, and what I assume juniper. Tastes are complex and earthy, with peat, juniper, woodsy, bready, caramel, raisin, sour spice, rye, dry white wine, faintly medicinal - all flavors meld better once it warms. Creamy medium body, nice carbonation. Overall it's different, but better than expected. I've only had 1 other Sahti to compare this to, so it's a tough style for comparison purposes. As a beer, it's weird but not too bad at all. I've got friends in Finland, so I was very interested in trying this one. I get what they were going for here, but it definitely isn't authentic as far as ingredients go, but I can look past that.

03-27-2013 01:32:59 | More by barnzy78
rlee1390

Indiana

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Clear ruby, not much carbonation one finger head.

S-Smoke, wood, juniper berries, spices, grass and caramel

T-Unbalanced, juniper, wood and smoke, not all together. Caramel and molasses as well.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation.

O-DFH's was better. Balance needs to be improved but still then nothing in this beer sticks out.

03-08-2013 00:27:19 | More by rlee1390
CaptJackHarkness

2.11/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From undated bomber but states Batch #1.

Aroma is sweet musky flowers. Pours deep coppery red with a thin non-lasting off white head.
Taste is like a sour version of an Irish red ale, actually very off putting! I was expecting something more Gin-like . This tastes like it WAS dredged up from a thousand year old Viking ship! Caveat to the reader, I never drank a Sahti before so I may not be the best guide to this brew! (But this brew makes me sure not to drink one again!).

02-24-2013 23:32:58 | More by CaptJackHarkness
Pencible

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

A: This poured a clear garnet with some light tan head.
S: It smelled like copper hops and roasted barley, with some creamy yeast and a hint of juniper and caramel.
T: It tasted like sweet caramel and roasted barley malt, with some copper hops and creamy yeast. It had a clean and mild bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was somewhat thick and oily with a little carbonation. Nice slick body.
D: I'm not sure where the Sahti character was, since no juniper was really noticeable. The scent and taste were like a red ale or Oktoberfest. Not unpleasant at all, but way off for the style (and therefore disappointing). Did I just sit on this too long, and all the uniqueness already faded?

02-03-2013 05:29:59 | More by Pencible
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Two fingers of head on a clear, copper colored body.
The aroma is floral and juniper. It really smells like a boque of flowers.
The taste is mildly bitter with a light fruit flavor. It’s nice.
The texture is crisper with moderate carbonation and medium body.
It’s an easy drinker with a unique flavor.

02-01-2013 02:01:16 | More by Fatehunter
superspak

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; Batch 1, bottled in Spring 2012. Moderately fast gusher upon opening. Pours lightly hazy red copper color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Slight spotty foamy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, juniper, raisin, wood, floral, earth, and herbal. Damn nice aromas with good balance, strength, and complexity of malt and juniper notes. Taste of caramel, toast, toffee, molasses, brown sugar, juniper, wood, raisin, floral, earth, grass, and herbal earthiness. Lingering notes of caramel, toffee, toast, brown sugar, floral, earth, raisin, wood, juniper, and herbal on the finish for a good bit. Very nice balance and complexity of malty flavors with the juniper notes; with zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Light-medium carbonation and medium full bodied; with a very creamy and fairly slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice take on the Sahti style! Great malt complexity and balance of juniper flavors; and extremely smooth to sip on. I really enjoyed this one.

01-31-2013 04:13:33 | More by superspak
obywan59

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Reddish-copper in color with a 2 1/2 finger pale tan head. Great lacing. Crystal clear. Reminds me of Mad Elf, just a bit darker in color in body and head.

Fresh, almost hoplike aroma of the juniper berries is forefront, light citrus and sweet toasted malt back it up.

The taste was a bit of a let down after the aroma. Mostly sweet toasted malt with some acid citrus and the borderline harsh taste of alcohol. Some light earthiness , but not so much as a saisson. It seemed a bit raw at first, but it improved as the beer warmed.

Decent mouthfeel. Medium to medium thick. Light syrup on the tongue, and light burn in the throat.

This beer definitely gets better as it warms. I'm not sure how authentic a sahti it is though. There was zero sediment in my bottle.

01-22-2013 03:59:27 | More by obywan59
jdkitchi

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This poured clear brown with a huge foamy head that stuck around for awhile.

It has a different earthy smell, probably from the Juniper. The Juniper adds an interesting element but the taste is a little too sweet and a little too refined and simple.

I haven't had a Sahti before that I can remember so I wasn't sure what to expect from the style. I was expecting something more rustic, cloudy and more complex. I'm glad I tried it but I don't really need to have this again.

01-13-2013 02:16:56 | More by jdkitchi
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a two-fingered white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Medium carbonation and medium body. Crystal clear copper/amber color. Nose is light malt and bready, flavor is malty with a light juniper bite. 22oz bottle $6 Market Basket Concord, NH.

01-06-2013 23:27:18 | More by jdhilt
lwillitz

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

22-oz bottle into New Belgium globe

A - 3 fingers of khaki foam over a transparent body of red amber, a few rising bubbles of carbonation

S - spice, cherry-like fruit (juniper?), malty sweetness, yeast

T - peppery spice, caramel sweetness, fruity/herbal notes; sweet pink grapefruit and booze in the finish

M - thick medium/full body, medium carbonation, very smooth

O - I wasn't quite sure what to expect of my first Sahti, but I think I like it. Would drink again.

01-06-2013 00:13:10 | More by lwillitz
fitzy84

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

Had some at my parents for the holidays. The drink had a dark brown-amber appearance with a decent head that became thin lacing eventually. Aromas had a solid malt flavor with some vanilla and bread hints. The drink was tasty with a strong butter flavor and a slight cherry aftertaste. Medium body and decently creamy. Overall, pretty good for the holidays.

12-31-2012 02:16:52 | More by fitzy84
WoodBrew

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Well this is a conundrum beer for me...do I rate this as for what the brewer intended or do I rate it as to whether I like the beer. In respect for this website I will rate as brewer intended...but I am not a fan of Sahti style beers. The beer poured clear amber with a thin white head that is lacing nicely. The scent is a very I nice breeze of berries. The Taste is very fruity...perhaps the reason the Vikings averted scurvy??? There is a nice malt base that balances the fruitiness. The mouthfeel is medium in body with smooth carbonation. Overall the beer is decent...a little to fruity for me....but solid offering by Sammy A!!!

12-30-2012 23:27:54 | More by WoodBrew
BrewMaven

Part one of the Small Batch gift pack.

Pours a beautiful deep clear amber and packs a nice 3 finger fine off white head.

Just getting over my first cold in more than a long while, I'm not up to snuff (lol) in picking up aromas at the moment. Regardless, I do sense a fruity sharpness and a hint of yeast when burying my nose in the glass.

Initial sips are showing berries up front and a slight sourness though the middle. finish is a bit dry and clean.

Mouthfeel is moderate and slick. with fine gentle carbonation.

A nice start to my 3 day weekend!

12-30-2012 01:18:33 | More by BrewMaven
dhannes

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a standard pint glass. This is the first I have had of this style, so the review is based on the beer versus other similar beers.

A=Darker red color, with a thinner whitish head. A bit darker than anticipated.

S=Slight hint of fruitiness/berries.

T=Similar to an amber, but lighter and somewhat sweet...a very faint hint of berries, with some maltiness.

M=Not much body; low carbonation; rather drinkable.

O=Nothing special here...reminded me of a reddish amber with a hint of berries in the background. Will only buy again if on sale and then only for aging.

12-28-2012 03:18:24 | More by dhannes
scoobybrew

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

A - clear deep amber color with a thick off-white head that is well retained

S - sweet malt with hints of caramel and some hints of juniper

T - sweet malt up front with moderate juniper associated flavors throughout, finishes slightly dry

M - medium-full body with moderate carbonation

O - This is certainly not one of the better of the small batch series produced by Boston Beer Company. The absence of other spice components make this fairly basic and 'one-dimensional'. The yeast used here isn't very interesting as well - not enough funkiness.

12-22-2012 02:37:10 | More by scoobybrew
beergoot

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Crystal clear, copper body with a sticky, clinging head. Heavy sweet malt scent; caramel and toffee primarily. Heavy, sweet malt flavors also dominate the taste with some juniper and, to me, slightly smokey hint; some dark fruit hints, but nothing too extreme. Rich, heavy feel; smooth on the tongue with a residual hint of pine or juniper.

I don't know. I was expecting more of a juniper and pine character where all I got was a strong malt sweetness overall. Certainly not a bad beer, but something I would look at as more of a Scottish ale or even a wee heavy. Would I drink it again? Sure, it's tasty. Would I consider this a fine example of the sahti style? No, at least based on the style description on BA. I find very little in this beer that fits that profile. Maybe Norse Legend Sahti doesn't meet my expectations of what the beer should be, it's still a nice beverage to kick back with...

12-22-2012 00:33:05 | More by beergoot
flagmantho

Washington

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium amber-brown with a haze-free body and a moderate effervescence. Head pours a thick finger of frothy tan foam. Attractive, although not as turbid as the style definition suggests it might be.

Smell: crystal malt character with some sweet caramel and dry toastiness mixed together. The nose of juniper is definitely present as well. Interesting. Balanced, although the malt character here isn't my favorite.

Taste: sweeter caramel character than the aroma, with less toastiness present. The juniper is of a different character here; while in the aroma, it had more of an evergreen feel, here there is an earthier, more bitter element, especially in the strong finish. Quite balanced and actually quite tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a well-integrated carbonation and a mammoth, silky-smooth creaminess. Love it!

Overall: this is a good beer, although I think I like it more for its novelty than as something I'd want regularly. The juniper creates a good bitterness, but the overall woodiness is a bit much for any kind of session drinking.

12-21-2012 04:33:06 | More by flagmantho
damndirtyape

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

22oz poured into a Duvel Tulip. Batch #1.

Appearance: Clear dark coppery red when held up to the light. An initial thick rocky light tan foam died down to a 1/4-1/8" foam. Plenty of lacing in strands all over the glass. Nice looking beer.

Smell: Juniper (gin like) dominates the aroma here - I'm not getting a lot else.

Taste: Very unusual. Definite Juniper/spruce flavor mixed in with some deep caramel and buttery notes mixed in. The finish is a little bitter....can't quite put my finger on it as to what that bitter flavor is, but it's there to finish things off. It's like an unusual combination of lemon and pine at the end. Maybe they did hop his beer after all?

Mouthfeel: Slick, light carbonation on the tongue, the thickness is just south of creamy, but it is definitely smooth.

Overall / Drinkability: I've never had a Sahti before so it's hard to rate this one on style. If I read the Beer Advocate description is has some features of the beer (mouthfeel, juniper) but not others (turbidity in appearance). So let me instead state what I think of this as a beer. The Juniper works well as a hop substitute, although there are times where I think I'm drinking a beer spiked with Gin. Could be I'm not a big fan of Juniper. Nice looking beer, feels good going down....not really great in taste and smell. Interesting yes. A great beer? No. Drinkability - I could not finish off the bomber myself even over 2 hours (corked the bottle and kept it in the fridge while I finished the first glass) and so one big glass is more than enough. I think I would give the style a try again, but with food, and not this particular beer again. A good beer to try, but not good for a repeat.

12-17-2012 00:53:10 | More by damndirtyape
Jason

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

22oz brown bottle, no freshness date ... just a batch #.

LOOK: Clear tawny hue, decent lacing

SMELL: Spicy, juniper, loads of caramel, estery, earthy, cake batter, creamy

TASTE: Chewy medium body, slick, malty, caramel, bready, spicy juniper, mild hopping, raisins, very sweet finish

Strong ale with juniper, that is all we have here ... no rawness or tart character. Refined and too sweet. I want to cook with this beer a hell of a lot more than I want to drink it.

12-14-2012 02:47:29 | More by Jason
AlCaponeJunior

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Auburn to coppery red, clear, rising bubbles, a light tan head about one finger, with some sticky lacing.

Lots of toffee, caramel, nuts, fruits (mainly dark), spices, a light woodiness.

Taste is more notable on the juniper/wood notes, plenty of caramel and toffee like malts, a little sweetness, some fruitiness, cherries noted, a little brown sugar and some alcohol.

Body is pretty light with ample carbonation, along with a residual sweetness and slick feel.

It's an interesting beer. I only have one other example of the style to compare to, so it's hard to say whether this is a great sahti or not. However, it's certainly tasty in my glass.

12-10-2012 19:06:04 | More by AlCaponeJunior
BucannonXC5

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 22-oz. bomber
Glass: Karl Strauss pint
From: Costco in San Marcos, Calif., on Dec. 6, 2012
Price: $20 for Small Batch Collection variety 4-pack
BOD: None, “Batch 2” on back of label

Auburn amber with two fingers of khaki tan head. Average-to-above average lacing on the sides. Retention started out good, but got pretty thin half way down the pint glass.

Smelled toffee, caramel, roasted nuts, dark fruit and black cherry. Could smell the alcohol for sure, but it was smooth.

Tasted not quite as good as the smell, but similar. Got the dark fruits first. The bottle says Juniper berries, but I don’t know what those are. I kind of got dates and dark cherry. Also some toffee, roasted bitter nuts, some rye and still that hint of liquor.

Medium body. Thin, oily texture. Average carbonation. Long smooth finish.

My first new rating for a Sam Adams in a long time. Big fan of the company and the presentation of the Small Batch Collection pack. Not a bad beer overall, I may have homered it a little bit.

12-08-2012 06:40:37 | More by BucannonXC5
falloutsnow

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

From: Binny's, Bolingbrook, IL
Date: None, "Batch 1" on back of label
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

More "wet forest" aroma and scent-like than the only other sahti I've had, this beer pulls more from juniper than, perhaps, it's original brethren (the Finnish sahti I had was much more intensely caramel heavy and doppelbock-like than this). I enjoyed this for its unique flavors and for avoiding becoming boring or one-dimensional throughout the entire bomber. Not a beer I'd find myself going back to repeatedly, but one I'm glad SA brewed and I was able to try.

Pours a 3cm tall head, composed of small bubbles of a modestly dark tan color, appearing quite frothy and dense. Retention is excellent, as might be expected from the tight packing of bubbles. Head eventually falls to a thin cap atop the body of the beer. Lacing is rather average, a few small splotches and dots of residual foam across the sides of the glass. Body is a very dark amber brown color, transparent, with light revealing brighter red and orange hues. Carbonation is visible and substantial.

Aroma of a toffee-scented ale aged on juniper wood, yielding some "wet forest" scents; some ripe, watery blackberries; and vague spiciness (phenols?).

Taste involves substantial juniper twig/wood flavor over a toffee-like malt base with hints of pine-like juniper needles/berries and phenolic spiciness. Front of palate picks up strong juniper wood with caramel-colored malt base: sweet with solid juniper wood flavors. Mid-palate is of ale soaked on juniper wood, a toffee-like malt composition, and some spiciness from juniper wood, needles, or berries. Back of palate picks up continued toffee-like malts, and a bit of ethanol, particularly as this warms. Aftertaste of toffee malt sweetness and lingering juniper wood or "wet forest" scents.

Beer is medium bodied, with medium-intensity carbonation that results in a slightly prickly at first, but quickly foamy and smooth afterwards. Closes semi-dryly.

12-07-2012 06:34:39 | More by falloutsnow
Norse Legend Sahti from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)