Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Porch Rocker Alström Bros
Reviews: 220 | Hads: 1,467
3.27/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Get them cloudy yellow feels ready, here it comes, like a more camoflauged hefeweizen. Lemony, a tad bit of sweetness. Is this a shandy beer? Its like the most non sweet one I've had, score.

Lemon and citrus come out in the taste even more. Enjoyable, soft edge of wheat possibly to it. Even a little bit of tartness to pair with the minimal sweetness.

Cool early in the day, or hot part of the day beer. You can score these in the summer variety pack from whenever. Summertime kinda beer.

3.91/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Boston Beer Co. "Samuel Adams Porch Rocker"
12 oz. brown glass bottle
$8.99/six-pack @ Atlantic Liquors, Rehoboth Beach, DE

The name kind of says it all. Porch Rocker is an easy drinking, low alcohol beer that's great for relaxing in the shade on a hot summer day. It's surprisingly quite lemony despite the fact that that's not stated on the main label, but it's not really sharply tart... it's got a bit of an edge to it, but it's also sweetish, and that makes it seem a little artificial (kind of like lemon flavor that might be used for making a cake or something). Apparently it's their take on a Bavarian railer, so the sweetness makes sense. At 4.5% abv it's a little lighter than some beers, but not by much (Budweiser is 5.0%), so it's not like you can just drink them all day, although you might want to. Personally I lost interest about halfway through, but given that I was at the beach and just hanging out it didn't really matter. My wife, however, and everyone at the house loved it, and so we ended up making a runt to get more - that for me is a selling point. Worth trying.

3.09/5  rDev -6.4%

A: crystal clear; gold in color; 1 finger white head that receded to a thin collar; no lacing;

S: lemon with a hint of bread behind it;

T: lemon is predominant; sweeter at the beginning, a little tartness toward the end; no bitterness;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate to high carbonation;

O: thirst quenching; a nice beer for a hot day;

3.95/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A : A classic lager yellow color with a foamy cap about 2 fingers tall. Lacing is few and far between but visible. 90% transparent. Fairly unremarkable, so a 3.75.

S : Strawberries, wet malt, a little bit of yeast, clove, honey, and more wetness. It's a crisp aroma with some soggy notes.

T : Fruity and delectable. Stawberry, orange, lemon, banana. Behind that is a crisp malt body, and some more fruitiness. A hint of breadiness on the finish. It's kind of reminiscent of Lucky Bucket's Belly Flop, but actually a bit better.

F : Light bodied, retaining a smidge of creaminess, with very light carbonation, and it ends a tad soppy.

O : I'd have this again. A really nice, flavorful summer ale. Better than most of the summer only offerings I've had thus far.

2.9/5  rDev -12.1%

L yellow with big frothy head that runs away quick and leaves a trail behind S like a lemon car sent T like a rotten lemon dropped in a light beer F little bubbles at first than just water after O not for me but if you enjoy dirty lemon water dropped in a bud light you must try

2.45/5  rDev -25.8%

Bottle. Not a favorite for me. Very high in Citrus taste. Light in color. Smell was Citrus. Just not my type of beer. I enjoy heavy beers with some kick and taste.

3.56/5  rDev +7.9%

I really like this beer. The lemon scent just screams summer. The taste is really mellow and smooth. Not too much carbonation, an easy going, non overwhelming taste.

The aftertaste is the best part. It reminds me of drinking Brisk Lemon Iced Tea from a Can and you get that sweet lemon taste.

Overall satisfying experience.

3.29/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - A very light golden blonde color, moderate carbonation, thin white head, and clear with no perceptible haze.
S - From the first whiff, the lemon zest jumps out and you get a hint of the malt.
T - It fits the bill as an extremely lemony, citrusy summer beer, malt presence hides in the background and hop are not noticeable either.
M - A light, easy sipping summer beer.
O - An enjoyable, easy to drink beer, but it's a bit too sweet for my tastes and I would prefer more citrus complexity with this beer.

3.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Decent radler and a typical underwhelming beer from SA. The lemon flavor is a little fake tasting, but otherwise this is a great thirst quencher for when you are at a BBQ in the summer. It's mostly a sweet beer and when warm can be a bit cloying. So drink it fast and cold and it will keep you going through the humid days.

3.5/5  rDev +6.1%

This one really surprised me as I wasn't expecting much. It's very, VERY lemony. Sweet but not tart. Crisp and refreshing brew for a hot summer day. Not much pop, so it could use a little more carbonation. Serve it very cold. I'd buy again.

2.96/5  rDev -10.3%

Not a great beer, but decent on a hot day. This is truly a summer beer. Serve very cold and it is quite refreshing. Strong lemon. Decent head that lingers. Pleasing aftertaste with a sweet finish. Goes down easy and a good thing it has a low ABV. Overall very average for this type, but I would buy again.

3.33/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, 4.5% abv, enjoy before September
A - pale golden color, nice clarity, creamy white head holds good retention
S - lemon zest, yeast, pale malt
T - lemon zest, biscuity malt, yeast with a slight nuttiness
M - light bodied and refreshing
O - pretty good version of a lemon radler. I'd drink this on a hot day.

3.49/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Fridge find - 12oz. bottle served in a nonic. Pours a dull straw-colored hue with a translucent clarity and a loose, off-white head that quickly dissipates. Nose is suggestive of an earthy/herbal lemonade. Taste consistent with nose; however, the balance between lemonade and lager is fairly well attuned. Mouthfeel is light in body with a mild acidity and a pleasant, even carbonation. All and all, not bad for what it is. I can't say that I'd ever buy it, but I wouldn't turn one down on a hot day either.

3.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours a thin head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is lemonade and grain.
The taste is lemonade sweet with lemon tart to balance.
The texture is crisp.

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

Refreshing summer beer. Carbonated well as part of the attempt to make it so. Heavy lemon flavor. More so than most "summer" beers. Better enjoy that aspect or do not bother. Good choice for the backyard cooler. Should have wide appeal for those who are not regular beer drinkers.

3.36/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Mini Review: It's not often I change my mind on something, but if you drink this straight from the Sam Adams can it's actually quite refreshing. Nothing to write home about, but definitely worth a BBQ inclusion. Don't bother pouring it, and skip the bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +31.2%

A very nice summer beer. It's a simple, light, lemon flavored beer, and It's honestly wonderful

Look: Very light straw/golden color- which fits the fruity taste well. Keeps a maybe .5cm head for quite a while, and remains carbonated for a good amount of time.

Smell: A very inviting fruity smell couples well with a lot more of an ale smell than the typical fruit beer.

Taste: Again, I was very surprised by this one. I'm generally into lager beers, but summer calls for something lighter, and this is a really crisp, refreshing beer. The citrus flavor is there ,but not dominating. It complements a fairly standard ale, with only maybe a hint of hops at the end.

Feel: Defintely a little more carbonated than a standard beer. Leaves a nice , gentle lemon after taste.

Overall: A wonderful summer beer! A little pricey in my opinion, but if it's on sale or on tap, definitely check it out!

3.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Although not an identical style of beer, I enjoy Porch Rocker more than Leine's Summer Shandy... thought I'd throw that out there.

Alright, come on guys. Accept this beer for what it is, and you'll like it more than a 75/100. Looking for a new beer to try, I went ahead and got a sixer of this. I heard mixed things, but I enjoy shandies during the summer, so I figured I'd try out this.

Well, I'm glad I got it. I'll try not to overrate this -- for some reason, this is really hitting the spot right now. Some beers like Porch Rocker forget that they're beers and are just glorified wine coolers. Sam Adams keeps its aim with this one and delivers a BEER. Fairly aggressive carbonation on the front with a huge lemon flavor with a good amount of sweetness. At the end of the sip, there's a lager bready/biscuit flavor that combines with the lemon to give a kind of lemon cookie vibe. The best part about Porch Rocker? It doesn't have a corn syrup sweetness or thickness to it, and it, as a whole, doesn't taste artificial to me. In a word, Porch Rocker is refreshing.

I've had sweeter fruit beers, and I've had ones a little less sweet -- this is about middle of the pack. After two or three of these, I'd look to have something else though, just because I'd need something bitter to get me going again. Still, this is a very solid example of a shandy (or, more accurately, a radler), and it most definitely has its time and place. If you know you like the style, you're definitely enjoy this. I haven't had too many, but this is my favorite beer from this particular style (that being radler or shandy).

3.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Gold and bubbly with a very quickly dissipating head and no lacing

S: Lemon and lime are strong--especially citrus rind; subtle kaffir lime and lemon grass and mint and jalapeno hang around too; there is some grainy bready malts but a whole lot of citrus and stuff

T: Well, it is what is as: a light bodied slightly malty and grainy, crisp lager and lemonade and limeade mixed together--almost reminiscent of what you might get if you throw a dash of sprite in a good lager

F: Pretty light bodied and bubbly-quite bubbly but surprisingly sticky in the finish

O: This is a refreshing crisp lager; I'm not usually a radler fan but this pretty refreshing; not amazing but refreshing enough

2.65/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I didn't like this. It smelled like dill and tasted like soap. Everything else in the Samuel Adams variety pack is much better! I appreciate different styles and experimentation but this isn't for me.

3.77/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Golden with slight orange tint.
Smell: Not much as far as beer goes, but very citrus/lemon smell.
Taste: Like lemonade and beer mixed together, which is probably what the brewer was aiming for.
Overall: This beer is so different than the beer I usually drink but I actually like it. I wouldn't want to drink this all the time but if I was sitting on my front porch in the shade after mowing my yard I think I would love this.

3.86/5  rDev +17%

This is a really tasty beer

-Crisp, clear golden lager appearance
-Not a lot in the way of aroma, a bit of lemon and bready malt
-Tastes great. Excellent integration of the lemon flavor with the base beer. I don't know if the base beer here is their standard helles, but if it is, I want some
-As full bodied as you could hope for a beer of this style. It is a bit sticky, but that is to be expected to a degree

Overall: Maybe a bit too sweet, but overall I can't complain too much. Tasty, tasty stuff

4.46/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now I know this isn't the most prestigious beer in the world but it definitely deserves a try and more!
Just so you know what to expect, it tastes of beer and lemons/lemonade. The lemon/lemonade factor comes in very strong, it almost tastes as if it's half lemonade half beer. It's definitely a summer beer and it's definitely what I'll be drinking again once summer comes back around. Definitely try it, there's nothing better to taste after a long hot day, TRUST ME! It's one of the best beers I've ever tasted and I've tasted many micro brews.

3.64/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a "pint" glass. Pours orange with a small head that disappears almost immediately. Smells of sour lemons. Tastes of wheat with a nice blends enough lemon flavor to make a nice blend. Beer is nice carbonated very drinkable, light bodied. Overall a good beer.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Clear medium golden body, with a massive, fine beaded, white head. Slight carbonation drifts lazily to the surface. Belgian-style lacing adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: There is a notable presence of lemonade in the aroma, I am not sure why this beer is listed as a 'Munich Helles Lager' rather than a 'Fruit / Vegetable Beer', as by the aroma, this seems clearly to be an example of a Radler. Also present in the aroma is lightly toasted malt, as well as distinct lemon rind. There is a faint herbal hop note.

Taste: Bright notes of semi-sweet lemonade open the taste. Lightly toasted malt is present throughout and vies with juicy notes of lemon rind. Later in the taste, there is an understated herbal hop presence, which serves to offer some balance against the lemon flavors. Finishes with a mild toasted bread note, accentuated by a wave of mildly bitter lemon.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Quite refreshing, for me it edges too closely to a "malternative" or "alco-pop", rather than a beer. That being said, Radlers are well-respected in Germany, so there is something here. This would be perfect for sending macro beer-drinking friends for a "walk on the wild side". Even with my skepticism and the fact that Autumn is well at hand, I enjoyed this. I think it would be delightful on a hot summer day.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle, served in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager Sensory glass.

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)