Samuel Adams Porch Rocker - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Porch Rocker Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,419 | Reviews: 243
3.81/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A sweet tasting beer, but not overly sweet. Refreshing.

3.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

For some reason I get a 7-UP taste, which I don't dislike, but I also don't like a lot.

4.54/5  rDev +38%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Yummy, refreshing, lemonade beer. Too bad it is in such limited release :(

2.17/5  rDev -34%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Not worthy of Sam
Overwhelming lemonade flavor

3.33/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle, 4.5% abv, enjoy before September
A - pale golden color, nice clarity, creamy white head holds good retention
S - lemon zest, yeast, pale malt
T - lemon zest, biscuity malt, yeast with a slight nuttiness
M - light bodied and refreshing
O - pretty good version of a lemon radler. I'd drink this on a hot day.

3.49/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Fridge find - 12oz. bottle served in a nonic. Pours a dull straw-colored hue with a translucent clarity and a loose, off-white head that quickly dissipates. Nose is suggestive of an earthy/herbal lemonade. Taste consistent with nose; however, the balance between lemonade and lager is fairly well attuned. Mouthfeel is light in body with a mild acidity and a pleasant, even carbonation. All and all, not bad for what it is. I can't say that I'd ever buy it, but I wouldn't turn one down on a hot day either.

3.99/5  rDev +21.3%

soft lemon flavor makes this a nice refreshing summertime brew!

2.25/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Sam Summer + Ginger ale = This

4.76/5  rDev +44.7%

Good overall taste nice refreshing beer

3.37/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a thin head on a clear straw body.
The aroma is lemonade and grain.
The taste is lemonade sweet with lemon tart to balance.
The texture is crisp.
Enjoyable.

3.85/5  rDev +17%

Refreshing summer beer. Carbonated well as part of the attempt to make it so. Heavy lemon flavor. More so than most "summer" beers. Better enjoy that aspect or do not bother. Good choice for the backyard cooler. Should have wide appeal for those who are not regular beer drinkers.

3.36/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Mini Review: It's not often I change my mind on something, but if you drink this straight from the Sam Adams can it's actually quite refreshing. Nothing to write home about, but definitely worth a BBQ inclusion. Don't bother pouring it, and skip the bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +31.6%

A very nice summer beer. It's a simple, light, lemon flavored beer, and It's honestly wonderful

Look: Very light straw/golden color- which fits the fruity taste well. Keeps a maybe .5cm head for quite a while, and remains carbonated for a good amount of time.

Smell: A very inviting fruity smell couples well with a lot more of an ale smell than the typical fruit beer.

Taste: Again, I was very surprised by this one. I'm generally into lager beers, but summer calls for something lighter, and this is a really crisp, refreshing beer. The citrus flavor is there ,but not dominating. It complements a fairly standard ale, with only maybe a hint of hops at the end.

Feel: Defintely a little more carbonated than a standard beer. Leaves a nice , gentle lemon after taste.

Overall: A wonderful summer beer! A little pricey in my opinion, but if it's on sale or on tap, definitely check it out!

4.76/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beach beer, over the years has varied in in standard

2.56/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

From bottle to pint glass. Like 50% lemonade and 50% stale beer. Just noticed I am approaching 500 beers. Glad this wasn't the 500th.

3.51/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Although not an identical style of beer, I enjoy Porch Rocker more than Leine's Summer Shandy... thought I'd throw that out there.

Alright, come on guys. Accept this beer for what it is, and you'll like it more than a 75/100. Looking for a new beer to try, I went ahead and got a sixer of this. I heard mixed things, but I enjoy shandies during the summer, so I figured I'd try out this.

Well, I'm glad I got it. I'll try not to overrate this -- for some reason, this is really hitting the spot right now. Some beers like Porch Rocker forget that they're beers and are just glorified wine coolers. Sam Adams keeps its aim with this one and delivers a BEER. Fairly aggressive carbonation on the front with a huge lemon flavor with a good amount of sweetness. At the end of the sip, there's a lager bready/biscuit flavor that combines with the lemon to give a kind of lemon cookie vibe. The best part about Porch Rocker? It doesn't have a corn syrup sweetness or thickness to it, and it, as a whole, doesn't taste artificial to me. In a word, Porch Rocker is refreshing.

I've had sweeter fruit beers, and I've had ones a little less sweet -- this is about middle of the pack. After two or three of these, I'd look to have something else though, just because I'd need something bitter to get me going again. Still, this is a very solid example of a shandy (or, more accurately, a radler), and it most definitely has its time and place. If you know you like the style, you're definitely enjoy this. I haven't had too many, but this is my favorite beer from this particular style (that being radler or shandy).

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Gold and bubbly with a very quickly dissipating head and no lacing

S: Lemon and lime are strong--especially citrus rind; subtle kaffir lime and lemon grass and mint and jalapeno hang around too; there is some grainy bready malts but a whole lot of citrus and stuff

T: Well, it is what is as: a light bodied slightly malty and grainy, crisp lager and lemonade and limeade mixed together--almost reminiscent of what you might get if you throw a dash of sprite in a good lager

F: Pretty light bodied and bubbly-quite bubbly but surprisingly sticky in the finish

O: This is a refreshing crisp lager; I'm not usually a radler fan but this pretty refreshing; not amazing but refreshing enough

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Nice summer boat beer on a hot July day.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I didn't like this. It smelled like dill and tasted like soap. Everything else in the Samuel Adams variety pack is much better!

2.83/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

First sips were okay, interesting even.
2nd half of the can was a slow race to empty it and get the the next of a different type

2.49/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not very good! Too sweet will not get again!

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Very very very sweet beer

4.15/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Just damn yummy
Almost soda like except much less sweet
But i love soda

4.39/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great Summer beer. Lemon zest is strong but not over powering. Goes down smooth and doesn't leave a weird after taste like lots of lemon beers do.

3.77/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Golden with slight orange tint.
Smell: Not much as far as beer goes, but very citrus/lemon smell.
Taste: Like lemonade and beer mixed together, which is probably what the brewer was aiming for.
Overall: This beer is so different than the beer I usually drink but I actually like it. I wouldn't want to drink this all the time but if I was sitting on my front porch in the shade after mowing my yard I think I would love this.

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)