Samuel Adams Porch Rocker - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 1,379 | Reviews: 229
3.51/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Although not an identical style of beer, I enjoy Porch Rocker more than Leine's Summer Shandy... thought I'd throw that out there.

Alright, come on guys. Accept this beer for what it is, and you'll like it more than a 75/100. Looking for a new beer to try, I went ahead and got a sixer of this. I heard mixed things, but I enjoy shandies during the summer, so I figured I'd try out this.

Well, I'm glad I got it. I'll try not to overrate this -- for some reason, this is really hitting the spot right now. Some beers like Porch Rocker forget that they're beers and are just glorified wine coolers. Sam Adams keeps its aim with this one and delivers a BEER. Fairly aggressive carbonation on the front with a huge lemon flavor with a good amount of sweetness. At the end of the sip, there's a lager bready/biscuit flavor that combines with the lemon to give a kind of lemon cookie vibe. The best part about Porch Rocker? It doesn't have a corn syrup sweetness or thickness to it, and it, as a whole, doesn't taste artificial to me. In a word, Porch Rocker is refreshing.

I've had sweeter fruit beers, and I've had ones a little less sweet -- this is about middle of the pack. After two or three of these, I'd look to have something else though, just because I'd need something bitter to get me going again. Still, this is a very solid example of a shandy (or, more accurately, a radler), and it most definitely has its time and place. If you know you like the style, you're definitely enjoy this. I haven't had too many, but this is my favorite beer from this particular style (that being radler or shandy).

3.55/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Gold and bubbly with a very quickly dissipating head and no lacing

S: Lemon and lime are strong--especially citrus rind; subtle kaffir lime and lemon grass and mint and jalapeno hang around too; there is some grainy bready malts but a whole lot of citrus and stuff

T: Well, it is what is as: a light bodied slightly malty and grainy, crisp lager and lemonade and limeade mixed together--almost reminiscent of what you might get if you throw a dash of sprite in a good lager

F: Pretty light bodied and bubbly-quite bubbly but surprisingly sticky in the finish

O: This is a refreshing crisp lager; I'm not usually a radler fan but this pretty refreshing; not amazing but refreshing enough

3.63/5  rDev +10.3%

Nice summer boat beer on a hot July day.

2.65/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I didn't like this. It smelled like dill and tasted like soap. Everything else in the Samuel Adams variety pack is much better!

2.83/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

First sips were okay, interesting even.
2nd half of the can was a slow race to empty it and get the the next of a different type

2.49/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Not very good! Too sweet will not get again!

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Very very very sweet beer

4.15/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Just damn yummy
Almost soda like except much less sweet
But i love soda

4.39/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great Summer beer. Lemon zest is strong but not over powering. Goes down smooth and doesn't leave a weird after taste like lots of lemon beers do.

3.77/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Golden with slight orange tint.
Smell: Not much as far as beer goes, but very citrus/lemon smell.
Taste: Like lemonade and beer mixed together, which is probably what the brewer was aiming for.
Overall: This beer is so different than the beer I usually drink but I actually like it. I wouldn't want to drink this all the time but if I was sitting on my front porch in the shade after mowing my yard I think I would love this.

3.86/5  rDev +17.3%

This is a really tasty beer

-Crisp, clear golden lager appearance
-Not a lot in the way of aroma, a bit of lemon and bready malt
-Tastes great. Excellent integration of the lemon flavor with the base beer. I don't know if the base beer here is their standard helles, but if it is, I want some
-As full bodied as you could hope for a beer of this style. It is a bit sticky, but that is to be expected to a degree

Overall: Maybe a bit too sweet, but overall I can't complain too much. Tasty, tasty stuff

4.06/5  rDev +23.4%

Very good for a macro masquerading as a craft beer. This beer is meant to resemble a raddler (sparkling lemonade and beer), and the lemon notes are definitely at the forefront. This beer tastes about 70/30 beer to lemonade but isn't quite as sweet as brews like Lienenkugels. Overall, I think this beer is really well balanced. It's super refreshing and drinkable but more of a complex, lemon rind flavor than pure lemon sweetness.

3.97/5  rDev +20.7%

Pretty tasty stuff Sam Adams. Better than swill I guess

1.75/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Tasted terrible. Wanted to spit it out.

Big citrus notes kick in right away...great summer session beer you can drink all day long if you don't mind a sweet and tart flavored beer

3.35/5  rDev +1.8%

It has a taste of lemon rhine. Not the greatest I have ever had but not awful. Worth a try.

4.18/5  rDev +27.1%

Good summer brew,,,limited release so grab it when you can.

4.46/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now I know this isn't the most prestigious beer in the world but it definitely deserves a try and more!
Just so you know what to expect, it tastes of beer and lemons/lemonade. The lemon/lemonade factor comes in very strong, it almost tastes as if it's half lemonade half beer. It's definitely a summer beer and it's definitely what I'll be drinking again once summer comes back around. Definitely try it, there's nothing better to taste after a long hot day, TRUST ME! It's one of the best beers I've ever tasted and I've tasted many micro brews.

Very good beer considering it's from a brewery that mass produces

3.97/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Refreshing, light taste. Nice kick of lemon. Definitely a more summer beer.

4.04/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Just a good all around summer brew.

1.05/5  rDev -68.1%

An OK summer beer nothing more

4.3/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 5

This, right now, is my favorite summer beer. Not too sweet or fruity, but nice enough to sit in the hot sun by the pool.

3.64/5  rDev +10.6%

It tastes exactly like lemonade. Pretty solid for the summer.

One of my favorite. Spring yo summer. Goes really well on the east coast.

to view more.
Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)