Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Porch Rocker Alström Bros
Reviews: 218 | Hads: 1,459
1.78/5  rDev -46.5%

Third bottle poured into a De Koninck chalice. I have also tried it straight from the bottle, as well as in a pint glass.

Appearance - A very saturated urine-yellow. Bubbly with less than impressive carbonation. Transparent with the straight look that someone whizzed in a glass. I suppose there is a bit of a sunburnt straw look to it as well.

Smell - Very light citrus and of course, lemon. A very faint watered down malt note. The scent of lemon cleaning supplies overwhelms all other smells.

Taste - As I said at the top, this is my third time trying this beer - As well as my third time being slightly dissapointed with it. You are first greeted with a bit of a sour lemonade taste that appears refreshing in the beginning. Unfortunately, that cleaning supply smell transfers over a bit to the taste. Light citrus sparkles on your tongue, but fades quickly into the same-old typical malt you taste in every other Samuel Adams beer out there. Light? Yes. Refreshing? Only when you can prevent cringing when the chemical taste finds you randomly.

Mouthfeel - As explained above, the chemical taste can really get to you. The taste of the beer itself isn't bad, but it is when I leave it in my mouth that I become appalled.

Overall - Another disappointing 2012 seasonal from Samuel Adams this year. To be honest, I loved the seasonals right up until last years Oktoberfest. I'm not sure what happened, whether to blame a taste-change or the brewery, but each Samuel Adams I try is filled with an unbalanced mixture of hops and malt. The lemon in this tastes very unnatural. I was disappointed with the Whitewater IPA this year as well, and Noble Pils hasn't tasted the same to me either. I will not be purchasing this again. It sits low in the fruit/vegetable beer category, and I would much rather drink a Leinenkugels Summer Shandy when it comes to a refreshing summer drink spiced with lemon. (1,903 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -45.9%

I love Sam Adams but this beer was not to my liking. Very sweet, lemony taste too sweet for a beer, it was as if I was drinking a Bud Light Lime.

If you like the lemony taste, drink the Summer Ale. The Summer Ale this year I have found to be particularly refreshing. The Porch Rocker just didn't cut it for me. (312 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -38.7%

I've fallen out of love with most Sam Adams beers over the last couple years and this may be the final straw. I really can only tolerate the true original Boston Lager.

The Porch Rocker is sickeningly sweet, akin to Country Time powder being poured into a light kolsch. Artificial tasting and cloying.

Some shandies come off quite good when mixed into a weiz beer, and this one has a nice color and decent smell up front. But the taste falls far below the bar and a big disappointment.

Avoid (494 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -35.4%

Appearance- Bright, clear yellow with a lot of buubles and a thick head.
Smell- Like lemon dishwashing soap
Taste- It starts with a barely tolerable lemon and malt flavor but finishes with a nasty soap aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Very watery, would be refreshing if it tasted better.
Overall- I thought this beer would help Sam Adams replace Coastal Wheat but that beer is better. This reminds me of Bud Light Lime, same soap taste. (427 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle, poured into a Samuel Adams pint glass

Appearance: Pours a light golden color with a quarter of a finger of white head that dissolved quickly into a thin lacing of beer that settled over the center of the beer. Honestly, it looks like a Budweiser. Ugly “yellow beer.”

Aroma: Very citrusy, and not much else. Maybe some grassy notes too, but really, all I’m really getting is lemon ad grapefruit.

Taste: Wow, very citrusy, like this is Samuel Adams’ version of Corona with lime, Landshark, or god-forbid, Bud-Light Lime (gag me with a fucking chainsaw). I get a lot of lemon/lime, some grapefruit, and even grapes, and some peaches, but no beer flavor, at all. Honestly, it reminds me of a wine cooler. Ah, ok, now I see. The label talks about German cyclists mixing beer and lemonade, so this is essentially a shandy. Now I get it. Still don’t like it, but I get it.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium bodied, with some good carbonation to cleanse the palate and tickle the tastebuds.

Overall: I’m not a fan of this beer, mainly because I don’t like shandys. That being said, the flavors are interesting and I’m assuming that it’s a pretty good example of what a shandy is supposed to taste like, and I think that it would be a great beer to use to try to convert those BMC drinkers, or Landshark drinkers or Corona drinkers to American craft beer. (1,376 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -30%

I admit I had read the description of this ahead of time and was pretty sure I would not like it based on its apparent similarity to Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy, which was like drinking unsweetened lemonade. But two PR's came with the Sam summer sampler twelvepack I bought on sale, so WTH, I am a fan of Boston Beer Co. products, and for $1 a bottle I'd give it a chance.

Poured into a tulip glass from the 12 oz. bottle.

a: A nice clear gold, half finger head disappeared quickly and left little indication it had ever been there.

s: Lemony citrus.

t: A strong lemon-like flavor. Sorry Boston Beer guys. Just as I feared.

m: Light, but that strong lemon backbone just grates on my tongue.

o: By now you get the point. I really hate to badmouth any brew, especially by Sam, but this does not even begin to rock my porch.

In its defense, my thirty-year-old daughter and her boyfriend bought a twelvepack and claim to love it. They like Leinenkugel Summer Shandy too. (974 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle from a variety pack. Pours pale straw with white, long lasting tall head and soda like carbonation, some lacing. Body is medium and crisp. Taste is lemonade and pale malt. Finish is short and unremarkable. This brew does not resemble beer. (252 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a pale yellow color with a small head and no lacing to speak of.

S: Aroma of lemonade and not much else.

T: Taste of citrus, fruit and just a bit of malt sweetness. Not a real bitterness and a tart lemonade finish.

F: Light body and a feel of lemonade.

O: As I have been to Germany, I would not consider this a "Radler". This comes across as a Shandy with too much ginger ale, not bad but not what I crave on a hot Summer day (442 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -26.4%

Bottle. Not a favorite for me. Very high in Citrus taste. Light in color. Smell was Citrus. Just not my type of beer. I enjoy heavy beers with some kick and taste. (164 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

This is a bright gold crystal-clear beer with a small airy head. The nose--smells like lemon-fresh pinesol or some other countertop cleaner. Ugh, just sniffing it reminds me I need to clean my counter tops. Taste is sickeningly sweet with a sweet fake lemony flavor. It's not even tart and acidic. Just sweet. Pouring the rest out. Limited release? Good! (354 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

Would be a much lower rating except my wife liked it, so at least the two bottles from the Sam Adams variety pack didn't go to waste. Lemonade beer is definitely not my thing. (175 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

This is like drinking sugary cereal - a maltbomb of fruit loops. I feel my teeth aching from the sugar. There is a crispness to it - perhaps this needs to be consumed on a super hot summer day outside without any AC.
S - Lemon - but almost artificial, overwhelming any malt profile.
T - Lemony, with a thin profile of malt behind it. Finish doesnt really exist, except for a underwhelming cloying last of sugar

Ah - I dont like it. Not sure if this is supposed to compete with the lager-shandy crap produced today, but this isnt good. Avoid. (543 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -24.3%

Thought this would be a great beer like the summer ale for the summer. Everything is there but very lack luster. this is the only Sam Adams that is a pour and drain. Very disappointed in this beer in thinking this would go along with the summer ale for my summer beers (268 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Appearance :'look like lager beer

Smell : grain , biscuity and lemons

Taste:' taste of grain and over powering lemon taste. It had a very tart sour taste to it. The session ability is low and probably could only drank one of this beers.

Mouthfeel : it had medium mouthfeel with medium carbonation.

Overall : I had better fruit / vegetable beers then this one. It is just to much tart lemon lingering for my taste. (420 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Clear gold with an insta-vanish thin white head. My beer is naked. Naked on the porch.

Smells like smooth lager pale malt and initially apple juice caramel. Lemon becomes more discernible after some warming.

Tastes like a solid Helles with some herbally lemonade as an afterthought.

Needs more lemon. Or less. As I see it SA could have gone two ways with this - a great Helles with a mild hint of lemon or a lighter beer bursting with lemon. They took the middle and the beer and the lemon compete rather than merge. (520 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Straw colored with just the slightest hint of orange. Perfectly clear. Head is initially moderately thick and made of huge bubbles. There are also many bubbles clinging to the inside of the glass. The head quickly fades to just a wisp in the center of the surface. Very little lacing. The appearance is more soda-like than beer-like, except for the color.

S - Aroma is full of lemon-tinged sweetness, like a Sprite or 7-Up. No malt or hops. There is a faint earthy, herbal note that could be some spices.

T - I find nothing beer-like in the flavors. The tastes follow the nose, giving the impression of a very light, inoffensive beer that has been watered down with lemon soda. Nothing off or bad, it's just that there's almost nothing beer-like either.

M - Light body. Crisp, sharp carbonation. No alcohol presence. Very low hops bitterness. Slightly cloying sweetness in finish.

O - Now that I read the bottle label (after starting the review), I see that this beer perfectly matches its description. It is a light beer that has been lightened even more with some lemon soda or at least lemon flavors and water. Why? I don't know and I won't be looking for this one again. If I want a shandy, I'll mix my own and at least not have to pay full premium beer prices for something that was conveniently watered down before I bought it! This is a mega-brewer tactic that is not worthy of Sam Adams. (1,450 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle served in a Great Divide shaped pint
Best before October 2013

A - Clear pale golden color with a fizzy white head vanishes quickly.

S - Lemon lime soda, kiwi, lemon alka seltzer, honey, medicinal phenolics

T - Follows the nose, lemon/lime soda, artificial honey sweetness, odd floral noes, medicinal characters, herbal hops, lager yeast, chalky mineral notes. Tries to finish crisp but the malty sweetness dulls it out.

M - Low stingy carbonation, wet body with a semi effervescent finish.

Kinda reminds me of sprite without less carbonation. The odd sweetness dull out any attempt of a crisp feel. I wont be revisiting this. (643 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden straw color with nice clarity (chill haze aside) and vibrance. A slightly rocky one finger head of white shading fades away relatively quickly, leaving some lacing behind on the glass.

S: There's a definite lemon character here, along with a strong tea leaf note. A small touch of crackery malt hints that this is a beer, but if I didn't know any better, I'd reckon this is just lemon-flavored iced tea. To be fair, I like lemon-flavored iced tea - just not when it smothers its base beer.

T: As with the aroma, a finishing note of pale malts suggests this IS a beer - but only just. The first 2/3rds of the flavor profile are pure lemon iced tea, somewhat drowning out the base beer. This is better than, say, Mike's Hard Lemonade at least.

M: While it is quite sweet (very sweet, really), it makes an excellent thirst quencher. The wet finish suffocates the palate pretty strongly, but this remains easy to drink.

O: If nothing else, this would kick ass on a hot day. As a rule of thumb, though, I don't rate beer/something else hybrids or malternatives highly; this being no exception. I'd drink it over commercial ciders, BMC, or the like in this weather - but NOT over a well-done pure lager. Which incidentally, Sam Adams has a few of. (1,296 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Clear yellow beer with a medium sized white head that doesn't last long. Looks like PBR.

Smells of lemon and grain with a little sweetness to it. Smells like a Radler.

Starts out sweet and tart with a strong lemonade flavor. Lager with lemonade, all you have to know about this beer.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall more soft drink than beer, not a favorite. (355 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I didn't like this. It smelled like dill and tasted like soap. Everything else in the Samuel Adams variety pack is much better! I appreciate different styles and experimentation but this isn't for me. (208 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -18.3%

12 oz bottle near the end of the best by date on the label: Nov. 2012.

It pours a clear, golden-amber color, The small head has weak retention and leaves little lace. Lemons dominate the background of wheat malt in both the aroma and flavor. More lemonade than beer, it has a rather sugary taste.

O: [2.75] This is a high (for style) ABV radler with, I think, more lemon flavor than average. I feel it is a little too sweet, with lemon flavor that seems too artificial. In addition it lacks sufficient balance from hops. (524 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

12 oz can pours a clear gold color with a large cap of fluffy white head. Nice retention and lace.

Nose smells like a Lipton Brisk Iced Tea. Sweet and lemony.

Taste has a bit too much lemonade-esque flavor and the lager a bit to biscuity, bordering on light toast. Id like a less sweet version with a more neutral malt profile. This is far from my favorite radler and Id probably rank this below Lienenkugel's Summer Shandy on my request list. (445 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle: Poured a golden color ale with a medium size foamy head with OK retention and some lacing. Aroma of light lemon notes with lightly sweet malt. Taste is also dominated by lightly sweet lemon notes with some lightly sweet malt notes. Body is light with average carbonation. Bland shandy. (293 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -16.8%

[Suggested Glassware: Shaker Glass]

The pour was a clear golden straw yellow with a small (less than 1 finger) white fizzy head that diminished very quickly, down to a light scattered film with a small collar and had poor spotty lacing.

The aroma was of citrus (lemon) right up front with a mild grain malt and a sweet yeast and had a hint of candi sugar.

The taste was very sweet and somewhat citrusy with a slight lemonade and sugar flavor running throughout. The flavor lasted only a short while after the swallow with a light lemony sugar taste fading away quickly.

Mouthfeel was light in body and watery in texture with a strong medium carbonation.

Overall I was not impressed at all with this brew, it was more like lemon flavored seltzer water than a beer...

http://www.facebook.com/KAJIIsBeerReviews (813 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Starts out with a nice foamy head, but it dissipates into some coarse bubbles. The smell is more like lemon verbena. The mouthfeel is just a quick zing of carbonation followed by flatness and an oily touch.

It has been years since I had a lemon-flavored Snapple but after one gulp of this, it was like I had one yesterday. Lemon iced tea is the main flavor, though apparently there is some beer here. The citrus flavor is not unpleasant, just too much of a good thing. Lemon peel aftertaste with some bitterness. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Ralph's Supermarket in San Clemente. (582 characters)

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)