Samuel Adams Porch Rocker - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Porch Rocker Alström Bros

1.78/5  rDev -45.7%

Third bottle poured into a De Koninck chalice. I have also tried it straight from the bottle, as well as in a pint glass.

Appearance - A very saturated urine-yellow. Bubbly with less than impressive carbonation. Transparent with the straight look that someone whizzed in a glass. I suppose there is a bit of a sunburnt straw look to it as well.

Smell - Very light citrus and of course, lemon. A very faint watered down malt note. The scent of lemon cleaning supplies overwhelms all other smells.

Taste - As I said at the top, this is my third time trying this beer - As well as my third time being slightly dissapointed with it. You are first greeted with a bit of a sour lemonade taste that appears refreshing in the beginning. Unfortunately, that cleaning supply smell transfers over a bit to the taste. Light citrus sparkles on your tongue, but fades quickly into the same-old typical malt you taste in every other Samuel Adams beer out there. Light? Yes. Refreshing? Only when you can prevent cringing when the chemical taste finds you randomly.

Mouthfeel - As explained above, the chemical taste can really get to you. The taste of the beer itself isn't bad, but it is when I leave it in my mouth that I become appalled.

Overall - Another disappointing 2012 seasonal from Samuel Adams this year. To be honest, I loved the seasonals right up until last years Oktoberfest. I'm not sure what happened, whether to blame a taste-change or the brewery, but each Samuel Adams I try is filled with an unbalanced mixture of hops and malt. The lemon in this tastes very unnatural. I was disappointed with the Whitewater IPA this year as well, and Noble Pils hasn't tasted the same to me either. I will not be purchasing this again. It sits low in the fruit/vegetable beer category, and I would much rather drink a Leinenkugels Summer Shandy when it comes to a refreshing summer drink spiced with lemon.

1.8/5  rDev -45.1%

I love Sam Adams but this beer was not to my liking. Very sweet, lemony taste too sweet for a beer, it was as if I was drinking a Bud Light Lime.

If you like the lemony taste, drink the Summer Ale. The Summer Ale this year I have found to be particularly refreshing. The Porch Rocker just didn't cut it for me.

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)