Samuel Adams Porch Rocker - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Porch Rocker Alström Bros

StoicBeast, Jun 25, 2012

EricClayton, Jun 25, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: no head on a clear bright golden body.

S: honey, ginger, wheat and pale malts. a lot of lemon.

T: another alcoholic lemonade beer. I dont really like these. tart, some wheat comes through

M: light body and ridiculous carbonation

Overall: not a fan of this one at all. simple and not really a beer. more of a mike hard watever variety.

kylehay2004, Jun 25, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Nice pale color with lots of carbonation. The smell was for me of grass and lemons. Taste was good, for a lemonade, but this is beer? If I want lemon I'd buy a Mike's. For a beer, this didn't do it for me, and I don't even understand the point of brewing this. The mouthfeel though was pleasant, and as a drink in the summer, I did like it. I however am reviewing this as a beer, I think?

BeTheBall, Jun 23, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -15.2%

12 ounce bottle, best before November 2012. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear straw gold color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both average. Aroma is mostly lemon peel and lemon candy (like lemonheads?), along with a bit of sweet malt. But it's mainly an artificial lemon aroma, not that it smells bad at all. The brew tastes like slightly sour lemon candy, and there's also some sugar substitute noticeable. Tastes a little worse the longer I drink it. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's easy enough to drink, I guess. Mostly average overall, I only tried this because one of my friends gave me a couple bottles. I wouldn't pay for this brew, but I wouldn't turn one down if someone gave it to me, either.

bluejacket74, Jun 23, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

If you designed an adult beverage around the warmer days of summer, nearly all of them will become a fruit derivative of wheated ale. Since lemonade is already synonymous with the season, there's a predictable marriage to be found.

Pouring the expected hazy straw color, the beer's partly fizzy, partly froathy head speaks to the schizophrenic nature of the beverage. Light on head formation, retention, or lace it's probably not fair to compare to strict ale.

Lemons and simple syrup aromas abound with a slight rebuttal from white pepper, orange peel, and an obvious citrus character. A background of wheat malt seems somewhat bready but not as pronounced as even American wheat ales- the lemonade aromas just take over.

Flavors are even more balanced toward the lemon flavor and sugary taste. Medium sweetness allows the true character of lemon to shine. Delicious yet one-dimensional, the beer offers too slight of a peppery balance or earthy hop notion to make any meaningful impact. Only a rise of bready wheat malt in aftertaste remind me that this beer is at least partially a beer.

Sugary sweet to texture as well. The syrupy feel coats the palate lightly but much less clean than most beers. The carbonation helps with the creamy impersonation but the lack of alcohol dryness, hop dryness, or developing malt character keeps the beer as much wine cooler-like as it is beer-like.

I really enjoy these beverages but on a completely different level than beer. This Sam Adams version is perhaps less sweet and slightly more beer-like than most but it's still a beer coctail and likely deserves separate criteria.

BEERchitect, Jun 22, 2012
3.38/5  rDev +3%

I'm a fan of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy during the warmer months do thought I'd give Porch Rocker a try.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Very light, slightly hazy yellow. Looks like a run of the mill BMC product. Thin, almost non-existent head.

Smell: Mildly lemony and not much else. A touch of malt perhaps.

Taste: The lemons are there and actually I think they're done pretty well. Faint malt tastes and a mildly soapy aftertaste. Not bad though.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light bodied. Fizzy and refreshing.

Overall: Not bad, but I'd rather have a Leinie's.

pburland23, Jun 20, 2012

4.75/5  rDev +44.8%

Larrydoherty, Jun 18, 2012

Brewfocker, Jun 18, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -35.1%

Appearance- Bright, clear yellow with a lot of buubles and a thick head.
Smell- Like lemon dishwashing soap
Taste- It starts with a barely tolerable lemon and malt flavor but finishes with a nasty soap aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Very watery, would be refreshing if it tasted better.
Overall- I thought this beer would help Sam Adams replace Coastal Wheat but that beer is better. This reminds me of Bud Light Lime, same soap taste.

redfire89, Jun 17, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -16.2%

justinp, Jun 17, 2012
1.8/5  rDev -45.1%

Third bottle poured into a De Koninck chalice. I have also tried it straight from the bottle, as well as in a pint glass.

Appearance - A very saturated urine-yellow. Bubbly with less than impressive carbonation. Transparent with the straight look that someone whizzed in a glass. I suppose there is a bit of a sunburnt straw look to it as well.

Smell - Very light citrus and of course, lemon. A very faint watered down malt note. The scent of lemon cleaning supplies overwhelms all other smells.

Taste - As I said at the top, this is my third time trying this beer - As well as my third time being slightly dissapointed with it. You are first greeted with a bit of a sour lemonade taste that appears refreshing in the beginning. Unfortunately, that cleaning supply smell transfers over a bit to the taste. Light citrus sparkles on your tongue, but fades quickly into the same-old typical malt you taste in every other Samuel Adams beer out there. Light? Yes. Refreshing? Only when you can prevent cringing when the chemical taste finds you randomly.

Mouthfeel - As explained above, the chemical taste can really get to you. The taste of the beer itself isn't bad, but it is when I leave it in my mouth that I become appalled.

Overall - Another disappointing 2012 seasonal from Samuel Adams this year. To be honest, I loved the seasonals right up until last years Oktoberfest. I'm not sure what happened, whether to blame a taste-change or the brewery, but each Samuel Adams I try is filled with an unbalanced mixture of hops and malt. The lemon in this tastes very unnatural. I was disappointed with the Whitewater IPA this year as well, and Noble Pils hasn't tasted the same to me either. I will not be purchasing this again. It sits low in the fruit/vegetable beer category, and I would much rather drink a Leinenkugels Summer Shandy when it comes to a refreshing summer drink spiced with lemon.

Jesse13713, Jun 17, 2012

BossDJ, Jun 17, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

leinie13, Jun 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +37.2%

Packman4IL, Jun 16, 2012
3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks again to my buddy Pete for breaking into a six pack of this that he had picked up to drink while mowing his lawn. Review is from notes taken on 6/10/2012 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a crisp, light straw yellow in color; tremendous clarity with decent carbonation; starts with a short 1/4 inch head that is slightly off-white -- eventually fades to nothing but a thin island of skim laying on top.

Smell: Tons of citrus -- lemony and a little sugary/saccharine. About half-way through the drink, I determine that it's really a lot like Mikes Hard Lemonade with a bit more a beer base instead of the saccharine mess Mike's is; bit of a bitter happiness makes an appearance.

Taste/overall: Lemonade meets lager, with some saccharine stirred in for sweetness; now granted, I know this doesn't sound all that exciting, but for what the beer is, it works. I would be more than happy so spend four hours on a hot saturday afternoon mowing a lawn, just so long as I had a six pack of this to plow through.

bamadog, Jun 16, 2012

Mdadvoc, Jun 16, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

A: Pours to a transparent light amber color with less then a fingers worth of head that dissipates quickly and leaves just a thin ring of bubbles around the edge.

S: Some nice toasted malt with a nice lemonade flavoring and a very pleasant wheat aroma.

T: Tastes like Sprite with a hint of lemonade and just a mild malty beer flavoring. Interesting. Not unenjoyable for the type of brew it is.

M: Moderate carbonation works well with the flavoring, everything is clean and crisp.

O: Again, not a bad beer for the style. Serves as a nice alternate to Leinie Summer Shandy or even to Corona at a cookout.

ChrisPratz, Jun 14, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

xdefeatsy, Jun 13, 2012

nmann08, Jun 13, 2012

Rook162, Jun 13, 2012
Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)