Follow our progress ...

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
3.3

Samuel Adams Porch RockerSamuel Adams Porch Rocker

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Summer

Added by TMoney2591 on 05-19-2012

Reviews: 233 | Ratings: 1,537
3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

Refreshing summer beer. Carbonated well as part of the attempt to make it so. Heavy lemon flavor. More so than most "summer" beers. Better enjoy that aspect or do not bother. Good choice for the backyard cooler. Should have wide appeal for those who are not regular beer drinkers.

3.36/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Mini Review: It's not often I change my mind on something, but if you drink this straight from the Sam Adams can it's actually quite refreshing. Nothing to write home about, but definitely worth a BBQ inclusion. Don't bother pouring it, and skip the bottle.

4.33/5  rDev +31.2%

A very nice summer beer. It's a simple, light, lemon flavored beer, and It's honestly wonderful

Look: Very light straw/golden color- which fits the fruity taste well. Keeps a maybe .5cm head for quite a while, and remains carbonated for a good amount of time.

Smell: A very inviting fruity smell couples well with a lot more of an ale smell than the typical fruit beer.

Taste: Again, I was very surprised by this one. I'm generally into lager beers, but summer calls for something lighter, and this is a really crisp, refreshing beer. The citrus flavor is there ,but not dominating. It complements a fairly standard ale, with only maybe a hint of hops at the end.

Feel: Defintely a little more carbonated than a standard beer. Leaves a nice , gentle lemon after taste.

Overall: A wonderful summer beer! A little pricey in my opinion, but if it's on sale or on tap, definitely check it out!

3.51/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Although not an identical style of beer, I enjoy Porch Rocker more than Leine's Summer Shandy... thought I'd throw that out there.

Alright, come on guys. Accept this beer for what it is, and you'll like it more than a 75/100. Looking for a new beer to try, I went ahead and got a sixer of this. I heard mixed things, but I enjoy shandies during the summer, so I figured I'd try out this.

Well, I'm glad I got it. I'll try not to overrate this -- for some reason, this is really hitting the spot right now. Some beers like Porch Rocker forget that they're beers and are just glorified wine coolers. Sam Adams keeps its aim with this one and delivers a BEER. Fairly aggressive carbonation on the front with a huge lemon flavor with a good amount of sweetness. At the end of the sip, there's a lager bready/biscuit flavor that combines with the lemon to give a kind of lemon cookie vibe. The best part about Porch Rocker? It doesn't have a corn syrup sweetness or thickness to it, and it, as a whole, doesn't taste artificial to me. In a word, Porch Rocker is refreshing.

I've had sweeter fruit beers, and I've had ones a little less sweet -- this is about middle of the pack. After two or three of these, I'd look to have something else though, just because I'd need something bitter to get me going again. Still, this is a very solid example of a shandy (or, more accurately, a radler), and it most definitely has its time and place. If you know you like the style, you're definitely enjoy this. I haven't had too many, but this is my favorite beer from this particular style (that being radler or shandy).

3.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Gold and bubbly with a very quickly dissipating head and no lacing

S: Lemon and lime are strong--especially citrus rind; subtle kaffir lime and lemon grass and mint and jalapeno hang around too; there is some grainy bready malts but a whole lot of citrus and stuff

T: Well, it is what is as: a light bodied slightly malty and grainy, crisp lager and lemonade and limeade mixed together--almost reminiscent of what you might get if you throw a dash of sprite in a good lager

F: Pretty light bodied and bubbly-quite bubbly but surprisingly sticky in the finish

O: This is a refreshing crisp lager; I'm not usually a radler fan but this pretty refreshing; not amazing but refreshing enough

2.65/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I didn't like this. It smelled like dill and tasted like soap. Everything else in the Samuel Adams variety pack is much better! I appreciate different styles and experimentation but this isn't for me.

3.77/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look: Golden with slight orange tint.
Smell: Not much as far as beer goes, but very citrus/lemon smell.
Taste: Like lemonade and beer mixed together, which is probably what the brewer was aiming for.
Overall: This beer is so different than the beer I usually drink but I actually like it. I wouldn't want to drink this all the time but if I was sitting on my front porch in the shade after mowing my yard I think I would love this.

3.86/5  rDev +17%

This is a really tasty beer

-Crisp, clear golden lager appearance
-Not a lot in the way of aroma, a bit of lemon and bready malt
-Tastes great. Excellent integration of the lemon flavor with the base beer. I don't know if the base beer here is their standard helles, but if it is, I want some
-As full bodied as you could hope for a beer of this style. It is a bit sticky, but that is to be expected to a degree

Overall: Maybe a bit too sweet, but overall I can't complain too much. Tasty, tasty stuff

4.46/5  rDev +35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now I know this isn't the most prestigious beer in the world but it definitely deserves a try and more!
Just so you know what to expect, it tastes of beer and lemons/lemonade. The lemon/lemonade factor comes in very strong, it almost tastes as if it's half lemonade half beer. It's definitely a summer beer and it's definitely what I'll be drinking again once summer comes back around. Definitely try it, there's nothing better to taste after a long hot day, TRUST ME! It's one of the best beers I've ever tasted and I've tasted many micro brews.

3.67/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Yellow with an amber tint
Lemon, tea, earthy, grains
It tastes like you put an Arizona Iced Tea in a boston lager
A bit tart, high carbonation

It was prettt good. Very odd ive not had anything similar.

3.64/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a "pint" glass. Pours orange with a small head that disappears almost immediately. Smells of sour lemons. Tastes of wheat with a nice blends enough lemon flavor to make a nice blend. Beer is nice carbonated very drinkable, light bodied. Overall a good beer.

3.47/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Clear medium golden body, with a massive, fine beaded, white head. Slight carbonation drifts lazily to the surface. Belgian-style lacing adorns the glass walls.

Aroma: There is a notable presence of lemonade in the aroma, I am not sure why this beer is listed as a 'Munich Helles Lager' rather than a 'Fruit / Vegetable Beer', as by the aroma, this seems clearly to be an example of a Radler. Also present in the aroma is lightly toasted malt, as well as distinct lemon rind. There is a faint herbal hop note.

Taste: Bright notes of semi-sweet lemonade open the taste. Lightly toasted malt is present throughout and vies with juicy notes of lemon rind. Later in the taste, there is an understated herbal hop presence, which serves to offer some balance against the lemon flavors. Finishes with a mild toasted bread note, accentuated by a wave of mildly bitter lemon.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, quite pleasant.

Drinkability/notes: Quite refreshing, for me it edges too closely to a "malternative" or "alco-pop", rather than a beer. That being said, Radlers are well-respected in Germany, so there is something here. This would be perfect for sending macro beer-drinking friends for a "walk on the wild side". Even with my skepticism and the fact that Autumn is well at hand, I enjoyed this. I think it would be delightful on a hot summer day.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle, served in a Samuel Adams Boston Lager Sensory glass.

3.3/5  rDev 0%

Best by was notched at October on the label.

Poured out a nice gold color with fine carbonation and a thick, white head (4.0). Lemon and grass aroma, rather mild (3.25). Lemon drop flavor atop a mild cereal grain base; mildy tart and acidic (3.3). Medium body with a noticeable residual sugar feel; dry finish (3.25).

As a beer and lemonade combo, this is probably okay. As a go-to beer, many people will probably by-pass this as it just doesn't satisfy the taste buds like either a light summer beer or regular lemonade would by themselves. You get more of a slightly sour, past-its-prime skunky beer flavor more than anything else. I don't know. Why ruin a good malt beverage by adding lemonade to it? I don't get the appeal...

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

APPEARANCE: pours a clear golden color

TASTE: Of course this is Sam Adams version of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy. It tastes like beer with a nice touch of lemon flavor. If you are a Summer Shandy fan stick with it. If Summer Shandy doesn't have enough of a beer taste, go with Porch Rocker.

OVERALL: I enjoyed this beer. Good Summer beer. It's a good beach beer.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz can pours a clear gold color with a large cap of fluffy white head. Nice retention and lace.

Nose smells like a Lipton Brisk Iced Tea. Sweet and lemony.

Taste has a bit too much lemonade-esque flavor and the lager a bit to biscuity, bordering on light toast. Id like a less sweet version with a more neutral malt profile. This is far from my favorite radler and Id probably rank this below Lienenkugel's Summer Shandy on my request list.

3.75/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best before date" December 2014.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear golden color with a one finger white head that dissipated slowly until a thin broken layer of bubbles remained, a higher amount of carbonation with moderate lacing on the glass.

SMELL: bread and citrus.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, sweet bubbly lemon, no hop profile that I can detect, more like a soft drink than a beer.

PALATE: lighter body with higher carbonation.

OVERALL: this is the second Radler style beer I've tried, I enjoyed this beer, it would appeal to people who do not normally like beer because it tastes like a soft drink, the modest 4.5% ABV means you can enjoy more than one. I would not drink this often but it's a good beach party beer.

3.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle from a craft beer "pick six" setup poured into a flute. Not my preferred beer style but the completist (or obsessive) in me wanted to try every offering in the current Sam Adams summer pack and rumor has it that this tastes at least somewhat like a real beer as opposed to some limp dick 30% beer 70% juice blend (sorry, that's a cooler, not a beer). A darker than expected yellow-orange gold rather like ginger ale, with an initially large frothy white had that dissipates almost instantly. The aroma is not bad (!), some of the rich cereal notes one expects in a Helles, the expected lemon rind and oil and even a faint whiff of grassy noble hops. On the palate the lemon is tastefully done, not overwhelming the light malts, and there is also a subtle candied ginger vibe, and the hops seem to combine with the fruit to yield a sweet lemongrass tea effect. Not particularly sour. A bit heftier than expected in terms of body, accompanied by a pleasingly moderate degree of carbonation (although one's biased expectancies do yield a slight desire for more fizz). As mentioned, not a shandy guy but this is a nice revelation, even if I would not purposely seek out this brew again. Its a candy beer but one with some grain to shore it up.

2.59/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass.

A - Straw colored with just the slightest hint of orange. Perfectly clear. Head is initially moderately thick and made of huge bubbles. There are also many bubbles clinging to the inside of the glass. The head quickly fades to just a wisp in the center of the surface. Very little lacing. The appearance is more soda-like than beer-like, except for the color.

S - Aroma is full of lemon-tinged sweetness, like a Sprite or 7-Up. No malt or hops. There is a faint earthy, herbal note that could be some spices.

T - I find nothing beer-like in the flavors. The tastes follow the nose, giving the impression of a very light, inoffensive beer that has been watered down with lemon soda. Nothing off or bad, it's just that there's almost nothing beer-like either.

M - Light body. Crisp, sharp carbonation. No alcohol presence. Very low hops bitterness. Slightly cloying sweetness in finish.

O - Now that I read the bottle label (after starting the review), I see that this beer perfectly matches its description. It is a light beer that has been lightened even more with some lemon soda or at least lemon flavors and water. Why? I don't know and I won't be looking for this one again. If I want a shandy, I'll mix my own and at least not have to pay full premium beer prices for something that was conveniently watered down before I bought it! This is a mega-brewer tactic that is not worthy of Sam Adams.

2.9/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a nice lid of foam that leaves some streakage

Smell: Grainy and sulfuric with lemon tones

Taste: Grainy, up front, with a sugary lemon flavor developing, in the middle; a bit grassy, after the swallow, but the sweetness lingers and builds

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with moderate carbonation

Overall: I haven't had many radlers and perhaps I was spoiled by the SIxpoint Rad I had a few weeks ago, but I really didn't like this due to the sugary sweetness; I find it amusing looking through the reviews that some said it leaned toward having too much beer in the mix and others said there was too much lemonade; personally, I would side with those that said there was too much beer but whatever was blended really throws it off for me

3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bright shiny gold body, topped by a billowing pure white rocky foam head. Plenty of stretchy lace.

Pleasant lemon aroma.

Taste is soft light sweet malt body, mild noble hops, and a shot of lemonade.

Light soft mouthfeel.

Not bad on a hot summer afternoon.

3.35/5  rDev +1.5%

I just poured my first Sapooro down my drain, and opened this hoping it would take that horrid taste out of my mouth. It certainly did! This beer is WONDERFUL! . I can definitely taste lemons, which is something that's not found in many beers. After my taste buds got over the shock, I must say Its one of the best I've had. I poured it from a bottle into a British pint glass. It has a small white head that faded quickly but has left some lacing. The color is clear amber. This beer is perfect after a day in the sun. I highly recommend that you try Porch Rocker!

3.32/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: poured into a pint glass to a clear pale gold topped by a finger of dense white head with some lacing and low retention.
S: smells of lemon lime soda and a little malt
T: taste is a lot of lemon with a little malt flavor and the swallow is more tart lemon with a little maltyness on the finish.
M: this beer is pretty light on the mouth with plenty of slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: Not bad, the lemon almost seems forced and instead of being more nuanced and playing a supporting role it is more the star of the show. It isn't terrible but it could be better.

3.64/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Paying little attention to this beer when we got it new at the liquor store I work at, I thought Samuel Adam's Porch Rocker may have been a winter offering our store was simply late to get (we got it in March or so). Little did I know, the beer is a radler, but only subtly markets its simultaneously tart and citrus flavors. Turns out, this is a fantastic radler, surprisingly crisp, effective in its more sour presentation, and pleasing to drink in either sips or slugs. Not the kind of beer I want to session, but two or three of these on a summer evening isn't bad, especially considering the taste nor the level of sourness was compromised in the brewing of this offering.

Samuel Adams is three for three in my book (Boston Lager, Cherry Wheat, and now Porch Rocker, respectively).

4.36/5  rDev +32.1%

Sam Adams "Porch Rocker" is a GR8 Choice for a super hot,Hazy,Humid, Summer Day,Ultra Refreshing,with a zesty Lemon kick,and a drinkabilty Factor that is quite Honestly Through the Roof,perhaps more of a full on Beer than most Radler's tend to be,..but I myself like that,a very,VERY well crafted Brew with plenty of carbonation and well off the beaten track,I will be drinking a LOT of this Beer this Summer~gr8 stuff! Cheers.

4.23/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This Porch Rocker . . . Rocks!! It had a great look when I poured it into a pint glass. the aroma was inviting but not overwhelming. the big hook was the taste. This beer was truly meant for summer. it was an excellent pour that was matched by its flavor. it had a great fruity zip that was a perfect match for summer. the color was a perfect golden yellow. this is now on my list for summer enjoyment.

Samuel Adams Porch Rocker from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)