Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 965 | Hads: 1,496

I've had this beer before in a bottle, if fact I have a lot of it now, but I had the chance to try this on-tap at my local Chilis and it taste so much better on-tap. To be honest the best Sam Adams I've tried on-tap is this brew. This is the beer Blue Moon wants to be.

Very refreshing brew. It's really a shame it's not year round.

4.88/5  rDev +39.8%

This beer is great! Pours almost white with little head. Very crisp taste with a clean finish. I could drink this beer all day long. This stuff was a special edition so I don't know when, if ever, they'll be brewing it again. You'll be hard pressed to find a better beer for lounging around the pool on a hot Summer's day.

4.85/5  rDev +39%

pours a cloudly golden color with a two finger white tight bubbled head and nice sticky lacing. fruity floral aromas. taste is coriander, lemon, and spices and pepper all balanced into a great taste. mouthfeel light and smooth, full bodied. great session beer definitely on the list for hot weather enjoyment.

4.8/5  rDev +37.5%

Poured from a bottle into a 16oz glass.
Light orange hazy color. deent foamy head.
sweet citris smell, not overpowering. very drinkable, goes down smooth and easy. very refreshing white ale. I am a big fan of Blue Moon white ale and the Sam Adams is comparable to that.
My only consern is that it is a little bit too carbonated. it would be so much smoother with less carbonation, but overall a very good choice.

4.72/5  rDev +35.2%

Simply put--It's the greatest belgian wheat ale I've ever had, with obvious lime and orange hints. I like pouring this beer into a large goblet I have and when light hits the beer, the color is a fine orange to bright red. Blue Moon beer was one of my favorite wheat ales; I think Sam Adams White Ale is Blue Moon's big brother.

The worse part? It's only available in the spring...That's it? This beer should be on the shelves year round. A review of 82 does nothing to tell you about how incredible this citrus delight is, and I recommend it a thousand times over to anyone who is looking for something that smells, tastes and drinks as near to perfect as I can ask for.

4.7/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a really good beer from boston beer. The taste and smell are unique. It has a deep, yet clean, fruity taste. I really cant compare it because i cant think of any beer remotely like it. I also taste some sweet spices. This is a real winner fellow beer drinkers. I don't think anyone could find disfavor with this as it is a very well balanced, flavorful and easy to drink beer.

4.6/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sam Adams White Ale: This is their new Spring Seasonal, and man do I like this beer. A Belgian style Wit, pours a cloudy golden, with a huge, rocky pure white head. The aroma is very lemony, nice and sweet. Leaves thick lacing down the side. The taste is light, lemony and very refreshing. This really is a terrific tasting beer. Nice bready malts and a rolling taste of hops lie nicely on top of a sweet citrus flavor base. Cripes this beer is tasty. Very nice and a huge step up from last years Spring Ale, which I liked. Seems like Jimbo is getting back to brewing.

4.59/5  rDev +31.5%

Be warned this is was a pour right after a tasting we did with Jim Koch. This beer I believe was directly made in Jamaica Plain at the brewery and brought to the event. This made it incredibly fresh. That makes all the difference.

A- Poured into a 20oz pint glass. Poured a beautiful yellow hazy with bubbles running up the side.

S- The nose on this beer was incredible. Cloves, orange, lemon, coriander and plum. This was extremely fragrant and I imagine quite fleeting once bottle or kegged for a while.

T- Again this was incredible how many flavors and spices where in this beer. Orange, lemon, cloves, and so many other I couldn't pick out. A really nice wheat backbone to all this also. Really an exceptional beer.

M- Nicely carbonated with a refreshing feel. The spices really made this beer incredibly refreshing on the tongue.

D- I wish I could have stayed and kept drinking this all night. Really incredible chance to try this beer exactly how the brewers want it. I am going to start drinking all my Sam only directly from the brewery.

4.56/5  rDev +30.7%

I love this beer, I do like white ales as a wholebut this is one of my favorites over all. This ale pours a yellowish brown, thick you can not see through this beer always a good sign. The head is thick white and foamy. The taste is polite and clean has what they refer to as mouthfeel, this beer will not over power foods that are by most lagers or darker ales. over all Great unfiltered Belgian white ale.

4.55/5  rDev +30.4%

Poured on tap into a 20oz glass during a beer tasting with Jim Koch at Bell in Hand. This had to have come from the Jamaica Plain brewery...it was beyond fresh.

Poured yellow with orange low-lights and hazy. Big fluffy head. Nose was full of spices--citrus, coriander, pepper, cloves, wildflowers--delightful. Taste was full of the same spices and more, was somewhat creamy and the malt was mellowed nicely by the wheat. Mouthfeel was medium carbonation and the citrus and spices made it play nicely on the tongue while finishing clean.

I've had this in the past, but never straight from the brewery. This was fantastic. Big, big surprise. Always been a fan of the brew, but this was otherworldly.

4.52/5  rDev +29.5%

nice, cloudy dark neon straw color...diminishing (fast) head leaves no lacing, but it sits looking clean and streamlined.

nose is really rich, citrus-sour. not what i expected...it's a nice punch and gotta admit, next to the smell of hyper-hopped brews, this is really wonderful. nice tangy, bready smell is truly a treat!

again, a rich taste, i expected something sweeter, glad not to have that, this is a taste version of what i smelled...tangy, raw honey mixed with yeasty, sourdoughiness. the mouthfeel follows up nicely with its crisp creaminess that is short-lived with the perfect carbonation that fizzles (sadly) any elonated finish. luckily you can quickly take another sip!

exceptionally drinkable offering from SA and one of my favorites now. a mega-session brew. really nothing i can complain about.

i'd like to find something similar/comparable that takes it up a level.

4.52/5  rDev +29.5%

Aroma has a good dose of lemon with some soft coriander spices in the background.

Taste is spot on for what a wit can and should be. Orange and coriander hit upfront with obvious notes. A little lemon is present at the end with a healthy amount of sweet wheat as well. Very well rounded and encompasses all the classic wit flavors.

My main complaint is that it is only in the winter pack. This is a very delicious beer...an underappreciated member of the winter pack from SA.

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

for some reason this beer just struck a chord with me. maybe it's the long time i've been waiting to sample this beer that has made me throw away logic and give this beer my highest rating thus far. i don't know? maybe it's just a damn good beer. who cares, i like it alot. buy it!

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

A: Pours a cloudy golden color with a big frothy 2 finger width head. Good head retention down the sides of the glass.
S: Smell is of very strong of corriander. Also smells of citrus.
T: Taste is basically the same as smell, lots of corriander/citrus with a slight yeasty taste.
M: Smooth and creamy
D: This beer is very easy drinking and flavorfull. I kind of can't believe that this beer has a score of only 82 because this is an excellent beer in my opinion. I haven't had too many Wit Beers better than this one.

4.5/5  rDev +28.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a chilled pint glass.

This is my personal favorite offering from the Sam Adams brewing company. It's heavy, yet very refreshing. Sweeter than most beers, but not at all overpowering. Thick and chewy mouthfeel, which can be a plus or minus depending on your particular tastes. Beautiful Amber color, and very attractive presentation.

I reccomend drinking this beer soon after purchasing (to avoid clumpyness), and I also feel it is enjoyed best alone, as opposed to with a meal.

4.48/5  rDev +28.4%

Appearance- A cloudy beer because it is unfiltered, with a good head, about a half inch. Left some on the sides.

Smell- A little bit of citrus also a hint of vanilla.

taste- I really enjoyed this beer. I am a fan of all of Sam Adams seasonal beers, this is right up there with the Winter Lager.

All and all a good beer. I have had it on tap and in bottle and both of them are fantastic. Will buy again.

4.44/5  rDev +27.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Excellent Beer, a Spring Classic, and well deserving of being the permanent Spring Beer for Sam Adams from 2004-2010. Thank God they brought this back in the Cold Snap they've introduced, with a little extra spices. Always loved this one, was devastated when it taken away from being the main Spring Seasonal

4.42/5  rDev +26.6%

This is a really enoyable beer. The winter was spent enjoying the dark and heavy beers/ stouts. I am not much for Pilsners or light body beers. This was a nice shift and enjoyable as well. The light buttery flavors gave it more of taste than most of the ales I am used to. i'd drink this through the day; with some reds in the mix just for fun.

4.42/5  rDev +26.6%

Sampled 1-28-07
Best by June 2007

Pours a hazy golden orange color with a thin head that disappears quickly.

Smells of citrus fruits, coriander and spices, with a bready wheat aroma.

Taste is absolutely great, light on the palette with subtle spices and citrus. Finishes clean and very refreshing.

Mouthfeel is good, a little thicker, the taste lingers for awhile.

Overall very drinkable, a flavorful beer that is light and refreshing. One of my favorites and the perfect springtime beer.

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

Poured a hazy light golden color with an attractive white fluffy head. Nice aromas of sweet spice and citrus with some faint dough. Delicious flavors of citrus orange peel, clove, anise, and mildy floral hops. Fine carbonation and creamy/smooth moutfeel. A definite winner from Sam Adams, so drinkable its almost ridiculous...I have yet to try a bottled version but some friends said it was not nearly as good. Either way this will be a perfect stand-by through the spring.

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

Look - Golden, cloudy, visual floating yeast in the beer, not very attractive but at least natural.

Smell - Sweet, subtle, natural smell.

Taste - Bittersweet with a good general feeling about it.

Mouthfeel - Surprising pleasurable bite that vanishes almost instantly, little to no aftertaste.

Drinkability - Pretty smooth beer, could have a 6-pack with no issues.

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

I have to say that, in my admittedly limitted experience, Sam Adam's White is one of my favorite white ales. I get this on-tap in Boston, where it may be fresher than other places.

Appearance: Cloudly yellow. Very hazy, but no visible particulate or sediment. I may just drink these too fast to let it settle.
Smell: Wonderful. Hops, wheat, and a beautiful mix of subtle spices, as well as orange peel.
Taste: Oh so refreshing. It's bright, refreshing, thirst-quenching, and rewarding. They got it right with this one. The added spices, which I can't really put my finger on, really make it good. It's subtle yet critical to it's overall flavor. Again, I detected a trace of orange peel.
Mouthfeel: Moderate carbination. Decent mouthfeel.
Drinkability: One of the most drinkable beers I've ever had, but not one of the best. Bring this one back soon! When it was available, I drank it everyday.

4.4/5  rDev +26.1%

I am a huge fan of the Sam Adams Seasonal brews. This is one of my favorites. Pours a cloudy amber color and has a nice light head. For a widely available commecially brewed beer it has very complex flavors and aromas. The start is a little fruit follwed by some spice. Finishes nicely and is very easy to drink.

4.39/5  rDev +25.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appendices: Pours a hazy amber-straw color with about two fingers worth of head. Lacing is subpar.

Smell: Coriander and citrus. Coriander isn't as oppressive as some of the beers I've had of this style.

Taste: As someone who finds witbiers to often be a little overwhelming, this is an excellent wit. The coriander isn't too strong, and is tempered well by the orange. This is just an excellent tasting beer. It's a refined Blue Moon.

Mouthfeel: Simultaneously smooth and fairly well carbonated. Feels good.

Drinkability: Super drinkable.

This beer was a huge surprise to me. Probably the best I've had of the style so far, and a beer I'd love to go back to if it were offered in six-packs during the summer.

4.38/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

While not the best in its class, this White Ale is a wonderfully delicious ale that needs year-round availability (at least summertime!). It pours a nice cloudy weiss-like appearance that clears with a nice fluffy white head full of spicy aromas. The bubbly feel is not too sharp and draws out lemon-wheat and spices without becoming a Blue Moon. The lace clings as this smooth, creamy but light (not too light) ale disappears.

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)