Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 966 | Hads: 1,495
1.79/5  rDev -49.1%

pours copper gold with a 1 finger head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells has more of a lemon and light malt then anything else

taste is not even close to a wit - tangy pale malts sour lemon - SA should be ashamed to put this on the market

mouthfeel - boring - semi flat semi smooth

drinkability - this came in a winter sampler 12pack and i doubt i drink the other one (379 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -47.2%

This is the most undrinkable beer I have ever tried.
It poured a nice golden color with a white thick head.
Smells of spices and floral hops.
Tastes like a spice cabinet. Way over powering on the spices. Nothing else can come through, no hops, no malts, just crazy spices.
Can't descrbe the mouth feel BECAUSE OF ALL THE SPICES!!!
I had to pour this one into the sink and I didn't even feel bad doing it. (405 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -44.3%

I have to say that this beer is still in my fridge. Why? Well I kept drinking my better beers and restocking the better beers.

Now I see why, not to say that isn't a great beer, but defintely would be one I would seek out again.

Head is great. semi-thick

For a white ale it doesn't resemble white in color. It's a cloudy amber.

Taste: Different from what I am use to, you know when you have a beer and say this isn't that bad then when you have a few more you change your mind. So this could be a two beer limit. (527 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -42.3%

Hazy pale amber, moderately carbonated for the style. Curiously, there's no sediment in the bottle. A thin white head quickly settles to a collar.

Spices come through strongly on the nose. Coriander and orange peel with tangy wheat behind. Not much character from the yeast, and the spices are overdone.

Sweet and spicy on the palate: coriander, orange, sweet doughy malt. Tangy wheat, lemony citrus. Heavy-handed spice flavors make this pretty hard to drink. Medium body, spices linger into the finish, which is also somewhat slick and milky. Not dry enough to be refreshing.

Piss poor for the style, really nothing enjoyable about it. The combination of uncharacteristic sweetness and excessive spicing make this pretty hard to choke down. (744 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -40.6%

I had three beers today. The Abyss, Imperial Storm Trooper Stout, and this ... thing.

Pours a hazy white. Nice looking beer, pretty taste appearing. Smells like ... not much, actually. Maybe a hint of citrus.

Taste is almost nonexistent. Some citrus in there, maybe a lemony zest, but this is pretty darned close to carbonated water. Jut putrid. I'm surprised it's as highly rated as it is. (392 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -40.3%

A: pours a nice hazy browish golden color with white head and slight to moderate lacing
S: yeasty smell
T: im overwhelmed with the carbonation and am left with little taste in my mouth
M: too much carbonation leaves you with a dry feeling mouth
D: Its an ok beer nothing special and would drink it again if offered but i dont think i would buy it. (351 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -38.6%

I tried this beer last night at my favorite watering hole (Summits in Sandy Springs). It pours into a barrel mug a strange orange color with a 1/4" head that lasts with decent lacing. Since I had just finished a AB Spring Heat Spiced Wheat, I felt a great sense of deja vu. I figured that Sam Adams would be a lot different. Unfortunately, I was wrong. The smell of this beer was far weaker and had a musty and grassy scent. The taste is of corn, stale marshmallows, earth, and has a backwash tanginess at the end that I didn't like. The mouthfeel was light to medium with a fizzyness to it. I don't think I will be drinking this beer anytime soon. This is my least favorite of the Sam Adams beers (and I love a great many of them). (732 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -38.6%

Pours with a quickly dissipating head that leaves only a thin layer of foam in its wake. Beer is a pale golden with aslight amount of haziness. Aroma is a bit off-putting, with an odd chemically presence, slightly reminiscent of disinfectant that I have notices in other SA products. Taste reflects this odd presence as well. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but has a decent level of carbonation. Overall, I was very disappointed in this effort, and had a similar reaction as I did when I sampled SA's Coastal Wheat. (509 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -37.5%

I'm usually impressed by Samuel Adams, but I have to admit that with one sip I was a little disappointed with this beer, kind of like this website. Poured a honey Chimay glassful (couldn't bring myself to use a gay Yank glass.) It had very little head or lacing as I drank it. I enjoyed the slightly sweet lemony smell, but the taste was very bland--like a slightly mutated lager. Mouthfeel was average. Drinkability was average. (429 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -36.9%

A-cloudy gold, nice white head

S-fairly gross smelling, like a very tangy orange with wheat

T-orange and wheat upfront that quickly fades in to a tanginess. Sam Adams, you did something wrong. blue moon is way better than this

M-overly carbonated with a dry finish

D-about as close to a drain pour as possible, i just did not get along with this beer. Sam Adams, thank you for changing the spring seasonal to the noble pils, you still should've left this out of the winter package and never made this again. (511 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -36.6%

Poured into my Hop Devil pint glass.

A-Straw yellow with a thin, fizzy white head. Leaves vertical streaks of soapy lacing.

S-Wheat, orange peels, coriander. Pretty standard.

T/M-Hmm. Is this supposed to be a witbier? Did someone put the wrong label on the bottle? Because if someone served me this in a blind taste test I would've sworn it was a pale ale. While the nose suggests wheat is a major component, the dominant flavor is pale malts. I get very no orange peel and almost no coriander. Just a malt profile not unlike soggy Special K. Bleh. Light bodied with low carbonation (again, not appropriate for a style that usually has bright, prickly carbonation).

D-A waste of time, calories, and money, considering it is such a poor representation of the style. Even outside of the classification this is a poor beer, and the worst of the winter box. (857 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -36.1%

A: Yeast specks detract from the experience.

S: Touch of mint, flowery

T: A lot going on here--very difficult to discern the constituent parts. It bites hard at first but you get used to it. Overall, this beer tries too hard to be good at many things and fails at all.

M: Medium--thicker than I expected

D: Um, no. (318 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

Pale, hazy, thin white head that dissapears quickly, sliding lacing with no stability. I thought for the style this followed was just slightly below average.

substantial wheat earthiness. Muskiness is almost farmhouse like and feels and tastes out of place. A bit on the watery side in the middle that allowed a bitter/sour washing. Cleans up at the end.

Mash comes through fairly raw. Not for me gang. (408 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

A cloudy lemon colored body with a small white head. Not really any retention or lacing.

Smells a lot like bannana.

This stuff tastes like bannana yogurt. there is a touch of wheat, a touch of coriander and then a ton of bannana. It's out of balance; it doesn't even taste like a wit to me.

Pretty light bodied, medium carbonation.

I don't really like this one, so drinkability takes a hit. I would much rather grab a Hoegaarden. (433 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -34.9%

I have to say, I think the taps I had my White Ale poured from must not have been cleaned very well...or the keg had skunked! This was the most painful tasting beer I have stumbled across in quite a while, and considering Sam Adam's has always been my fallback brew, I found it really disturbing. It poured well, and the head and lace were all really nice looking, but there was an awful 'subtaste' and horribly bitter aftertaste. Had it been a craft-brewed IPA or somesuch thing, I might have been able to get past it, but this was at a bar that considers Blue Moon to be a non-domestic draft!!

Hopefully just a bad batch, considering everything I've read in the good reviews is what i tend to look for in a beer. Give me another, just not on tap at the local watering hole... (780 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -34.9%

I was excited to open the fridge and find a new Sam Adams, so I am far from going into this beer unbiased. Unfortunately, I was disappointed when I took my first sip and tasted this thin, somewhat funky beer.

I would best describe the flavor as a combination between ground pepper, celery, and citrus with a very thin and funky aftertaste.

This beer claims to be an unfiltered wheat beer but it tastes nothing like any other unfiltered wheat I've tried.

This would be an okay beer to choke down one of if you are into unique beers, but rarely have I found a beer that I disagreed with so much that I had regret opening it. I will never purchase this beer again. (671 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours out a deep, cloudy peach with a miniscule white head. Looks like mai tai with foam, actually. There's a wheat twang and spicy yeast in the nose, but those aromas are over-powered by spices and sugar. Tasting this beer, I experience those same flaws. This beer is just too damned sweet and spiced, with a heavy-handed flavor of apricot and peach. A good wit should allow the spices, yeast, and wheat play along well. Everything here is pummeled into the ground by sugar and spice. A slight twang in the finish tries to help beat the sweetness down, but it fails. The mouthfeel here is quite nice and fluffy form the wheat, but it needs more carbonation. I suppose this manages to do something slightly right. Really hard to finish, but it's managable.

Although it lacks much, what really would've made this slightly bearable is if it would've had that certain "brightness" I tend to associate with wits. It's like drinking a girly cocktail, so if that's your thing, then go balls to the wall with Sam Adams White Ale. (1,026 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

This white poured a milky orange yielding an unremarkable head and nose. Average orange aroma with minor spices and malt lingering. Mouthfeel was passive but flavorful, with a citrusy-tart finish. Unremakable, and not impressive. It seems to fall into the lower ranks as most other SA's brews do, with exception to some seasonal ales. I wished I had a better opinion of SA brews, but I just can't form one! (406 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -34.7%

Not too bad for a wheat beer. First sip on a clean pallet was fantastic, followed by a linear flavor degredation until it became a average wheat beer. Wheat is tuff in my opinion. There all either amazing or just plain wheat beer.

I do not taste the exstravigant flavors that some reviewers aledge to. (303 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -34.4%

The neck label mentions an intricate blend of unusual spices. Hmmm....

a: This was a cloudy golden straw color and poured with a thick sticky head.

s: Weak. Faint, very vague spiciness and a hint of medicinal banana.

t: Weak again. Largely flavorless, I tasted a bland sort of peppery spice, mild artificially sweetened bananas, and a chalky finish.

m: Light and spritzy, as a wit should be.

d: I wanted to say bland and inoffensive, but I am kind of offended by how bland this is.

The final tally for the Sam Adams winter variety pack:

1 excellent (Holiday Porter)
1 very good (Old Fezziwig)
2 pretty good (Boston Lager, Winter Lager)
1 odd and disappointing (Chocolate Bock)
1 failure (White Ale) (706 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -31%

This beer poured a surprisingly dark orange amber that’s very foggy. The little film of a head is slightly off white. For a white ale, this beer's color isn’t very white.

Smells of limes, American cheese, oats and salty corn chips. If I were smelling nachos, I would be really happy. But alas, it’s a beer.

Tastes of a little orange citrus up front and then fades into a pale malt marshmallow and a dirty earthy yeast with a watery, slightly woody dry finish.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and sticky with a light carbonation. This is entirely too heavy and dense for my liking.

Alright. We have here a dark orange “white” beer that smells like corn chips and tastes like marshmallows and orange zest and is way to heavy. Sam, you missed the mark by a long shot. (785 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a cloudy pumpkin orange with a pillowy white head. Nice head retention, lots of vigorous beading, and very little laceing.

Smell: The aromas are slightly soured. Fruity(apricots?), light hop character and a desent malt bill.

Taste: The flavors consist of soured fruits. No hop profile, no alcohol is noticed and the malts just aren't doing it for me either. Thou, I am getting a vague wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a light to medium amount of carbonation. Smooth finish, but leaves that sourness throughout my mouth.

Drinkability: I dont remember this beer tasting this bad. Perhaps I should review this again to give it another chance.

Cheers2beers (708 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass. I revisit Sam Adams via a mixed case. Six different brews, four are new to me including this one. I'll check back as for my sanity.

Pours a murky golden in color with a thin white head which settles to a cap in short order. This 'unfiltered wheat ale' looks pretty filtered to me. Unfiltered by Sam standards perhaps but not by mine.

A bit of wheat and banana on the nose. but not very volatile as for the esters. I assume the 'lack of filtration' filtered out most of the love here. Otherwise the nose is buried in sugar. Improves with a bit of warming and aggressive agitation. A good swirl actually throws some hops into the mix. Smells like a lager otherwise.

Taste is light and a bit sweet. Rather boring actually. Decent feel and drink per se. Touch of spice on the close. I guess I'd prefer this over Hoegaarden, not for any strengths, but for lack of weekness. Check that, I'll take a Hoegaarden; and I don't like Hoegaarden.

An interesting take on the style. Highly hopped(American) and low on the wheat as a percentage of the grain bill from what I can gather. The apple doesn't fall far.., overall too sweet in taste and too viscous for the style in the finish. Feeble. And I'm being nice. (1,254 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured great, though not as white as the name implies (definitely on the amber side), with nice carbonation, good lace and a respectable 1/2 inch head that lasted almost the entire glass.

The smell: a bit sour, maybe some carbonic acid odors. A tiny bit of the "spring spices" may be present, but nothing overpowering in the nose.

Taste: the first taste was pretty bad, I have to admit. It tasted heavily of peppercorns and a little bit of licorice; not the spring spices I had in mind. There are what look to be spearmint leaves on the label, but I'm not getting any mint flavors at all. The taste lingers a bit, unfortunately. It mellows in the glass somewhat, but I still get some of those peppery flavors in the end. Also, no maltiness to counterbalance the "spices" whatever the heck they are.

The mouthfeel would have been great, but the flavor kind of dampened it's thick, cloying, chewy body.

Drinkability: I don't think I'll be finishing this 6 pack anytime soon. I'm sure my mom won't mind drinking them, but I'll tell her to drink them icy cold. (1,071 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -27%

2008 version poured from a 12oz. bottle.

Appearance - Pours a copper color with a 1 inch white head. Lite white lacing sticks to the sides of the glass

Smell - Little corriander, lemon, and a few other fruity smells are present, though I can't put my finger on them. Faint orange maybe?

Taste & Mouthfeel - Light and smooth. You can taste some lemon, and some wheat as well. A small spice in the middle, but doesn't have anywhere close to the taste of say a hoegaarden. A little dry and citrusy in the finish

As far as a white ale goes its not my cup of tea. I would even consider it a poor mans Blue Moon, and Blue Moon ain't exactly the best around. (655 characters)

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)