Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

good

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 966 | Hads: 1,495

Samuel Adams - While Ale
03/19/2011

C: 4.0 - Golden color with light hazy quality, similar to a blonde ale. It has pinkish hues which give it a pleasant color and attractiveness. Soft pour produces about a quarter inch of head, which dissipates quickly.

S: 3.0 - Lemon or Citrus. Light malts.

T: 2.5 - Flat and tasteless in the front. The middle produces a mild citrus flavor which lingers for about a second or two. The finish is also mostly flat but provides a very faint bitterness.

M: 3.0 - The beer has substantial carbonation which combined with the alcohold produces a strong tingling sensation in the mouth. It's not bad, but I am not a fan of this aspect of the beer.

D: 2.5 - Beer is mostly tasteless. I can think of at least a half dozen beers in this style that are better.

OVERALL GRADE: C-/C (814 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -21.6%

pours nice and blonde/opaque with a decent head and a bit of lacing

smell is quite typical to bad for a belgian wit - spice and sweet fruit, smells like blue moon.

tastes very fruity and sticky sweet...a slight bit of spice - just ok.

overall this is a barely less than average wit - i guess i'd compare it to blue moon or something to that affect...nothing special (371 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -21.6%

Blonde, not too hazy, good and strong white head. Smells vaguely of citrus, but there is also a kind of stale, left out over night Keystone, aroma. At first the taste is sweet like a banana Now-and-Later, and then there is a slightly buttery aftertaste. There are hints of orange juice in there, and maybe a touch of clove too, but nothing too spicy.

An other un-exciting, un-inspired, par-for-the-course, brew from Sam Adams. Although they are known to experiment with some of their limited releases, this variety pack of classic styles I've been working through draws neatly between the lines. This guy is boring, but as always, absolutely unoffensive. I'd gladly drink it if it was around, but I am not going out of my way for it. (734 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -21%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my pint glass.

A- Hazy golden yellow color with tiny bits of yeast in suspension. White two finger head settled to a shiny film with a little lacing.

S-Yeasty,lemony and a little acrid.

T-Fizzy,slightly bitter floral hop opening with a yeasty background. Finishes lemony, dry and gritty.

M-Highly carbonated,light body and a little puckery.

D-I've had better alt beers than this. Too carbonated for me. Finishes a little too dry.Not something I'ld go out of my way for. (509 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -21%

Another unfiltered wheat beer. Definitely not my favorite genre of beer, but I gave it a try. This one had a strange sweet and bitter combination, with a lemon/lime flavor. Pretty interesting for a few sips, but not something I would ever want to drink regularly. (263 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -20.7%

I poured this into a glass.

A- It looked great with a large head and a nice amber/gold color.
S- Maybe I had a skunked one, but the smell was very strong and unpleasant. I know this is a bad review because I can't describe the unpleasantness.
T- It wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. It didn't taste seasonal at all, the label said spring spices but I couldn't taste any of that. All I tasted was wheat and bitterness.
M- As I previous said, it was quite bitter, but it was smooth going down. It didn't leave a big taste in my mouth at all.
D- I'd much rather have the Winter Lager. I won't get it again. (622 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -20.7%

Chamomile, ginger, orange and curacao aroma, with hints of peaches and pears, fairly expressive, but not very nice smelling. Hazy orange color with a full head. Allspice and ginger flavors, with medicinal elements. Overspiced. Not much of a white ale. (251 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -20.7%

Had this one on tap last night at La Bella Pizza. Thanks for the pour, Danny.

The beer was a slightly hazy peach-flesh yellow with an inch of rapidly descending white head.

Couldn't get much out of the aroma, it was very subtle. What I was able to get from it were some grainy scents, honey, light spices, and a bit of coriander.

The taste started out with that grainy characteristic I picked up in the aroma. Then the flavor turned to lemon, orange peel, and coriander. Sweet wheat flavors in the finish with a tangy and some herbal notes. Kind of bland as well. Moderate to high carbonation at times, pretty easy on the palate. Easy to drink too. Not a bad beer but very boring. (684 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

Cloudy gold color with mild prickle. Light foam head upon pouring into the glass. The head dissipates over time and leaves behind a wispy show of lacing. Malty nose with wheat like smell of grains. Refreshing attack, but flattish flavor. It really drops off once its in the mouth. Heavy grain presence in the flavor that underscores and effervescent mouthfeel. There are grain flavors at the finish and aftertaste. I think that this beer was too "carbonated" to fall into my wheelhouse. It just didn't sit well with me. (519 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into a tall footed pint glass. Pale yellow in color with a white frothy short lived two finger head.
The unusual spices not very apparent.
Nothing outstanding for taste here.
Carbonation feel as it makes its way to back of tongue. Somewhat drying.
Didn't find myself having to try another one.
Overall I was quite a bit let down by this one. Would not pick this one up again, was waiting for the "unusual spices" and they just didn't show up. (450 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -20.5%

I had this with some friends the other evening while out to dinner. It came in a large pilsner glass, 27 oz. The beer was a cloudy golden-yellow. Atop was a 1/2" head of light white fluff. The nose was immeadiately detectable as citrus, lemon, orange. The first taste was suprisingly sweet. Ugg, it almost tasted artificially sweetened. Average motuhfeel, it seemed to be a little too heavy for white ale, but maybe more aking to big hefe. Spice flavors were stock clove and corriander, maybe cinammon or nutmeg too. This beer really got worse as I continued drinking it. It had a very ppor aftertaste about halfway through. I really was very let down by this. I don't think I'll ever have another, mayeb out of a bottle for comparison's sake. So many better wits and hefes. (774 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a hazy orangy ochre color with a short-lived eggshell colored head. Too dark to be considered "white" in my book. Orange peel mostly predominates the aroma with fleeting glimpses of pale malts, wheat and coriander. Crisp and sweet, with an almost cloying orange-laden fruitiness. Not really what I was expecting when ordering this. One of the worst Belgian-style witbiers I've ever had. Coors White is even better than this offering. Sorry Jim, if you want to brew an authentic Belgian-style witbier, you can't go overboard with similar/accentuating spicing. It should be renamed Samuel Adams Orange Ale. (610 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle. There is a place on the label for date coding, but it’s not notched.

Hazy golden with a thick white head and moderate lacing.

Aroma is light wheat, banana, orange.

Flavor is light also. Some spicy wheat, some lemon, some orange.

Mouth feel is smooth and creamy.

Dry wheat finish. (310 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass.
A: Pours a pale golden color. Decent carbonation producing 1/2 inch white head. Fairly quickly dissipates.
S: Coriander, anise, and light hoppy note.
T: Almost a carbon copy of aroma. Some citrus and honey notes too. Dry bite and some acidic tartness at the end is off-putting. Something about the combination of spices is less complementary and more clashing.
M: Very light and taste is quickly gone.
D: One is enough. It is light and refreshing, but far from inspiring. As a side note, it is interesting to see Sam Adams start recommending food pairing on the bottle. (608 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -19.6%

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a small white head that falls quickly. Lacing does not occur.
S: A little yeast and some citrus, mostly lemon.
T: Lemon flavor dominates with other citrusy flavors. Overwhelmingly citrusy and sweet.
M: Pretty good, good carbonation, goes down pretty smooth.
D: Not a great Witbier imo, don't think I would buy it again with the other choices that are out there. (393 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -19.3%

Nice white head with lace and lasting power. The aroma is sweet and light citrus but lemon dominates, not orange and there is no coriander.
The taste is tart and light. Has nice wheat charecter but then quickly fades into lemons again. There are some citrus hops too.
I would have these if its whats being offered and in the summer after cutting the lawn. If the lemon was not so overbearing it would be excellent. I'll try it again when the weather is warm. (460 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -19.3%

Appearance: Pours a murky orange gold with slight carbonation and a decent white head and lots of lace. There is a token amount of sediment, which is easily missed.

Aroma: A bit odd, sweet and almost perfume-like with coriander and orange, perhaps a bit out of place.

Taste: Taste begins with wheat and an array of spices, orange, ginger, cinnamon, and coriander, perhaps others. These spices are reminiscent of a pumpkin beer, though the beer lacks the flavor notes that the pumpkin would impart. Toward the finish there are some mild citrus hops that help balance the lingering sweet and spicy flavors.

Mouth feel: Slightly soft with a modest sting of carbonation.

Drinkability: Not bad, really, certainly not comparable to Hoegaarden, for example, but its not bad, either.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass bottle, served in a standard Pilsener glass. (888 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -19.3%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. I was very impressed with the head. It was over two fingers thick. At first the aroma did not come out but after drinking half the beer I was more able to detect a hint of spice that is common for this style. The color was a dark yellow but it was a lot clearer than I expected for an unfiltered beer. The carbonation was very good and it made an alley of bubbles down the center of my tongue. The mouth feel was light and watery. I will have to admit at first the flavor was weak but about half way through it started to become more robust. All in all I like that Samuel Adams is not afraid to try different seasonal styles but I don't like how they have sacrificed boldness to sell to the general public. (744 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -19%

Poured a little dark for a white beer, but nicely cloudy none the less.
Nice full head that disappated to a nice full lacing that lasted the entire glass.
"Darkerthebetter" is right...there is a predominate smell of corn chips in this beer. I notice a slight toasted sweet malt aroma...no citrus...just mostly corn chips. Strange.
mouthfeel is nice from the carbonation...also the beer feels slightly thick.
Taste is mostly bready yeast with a slight sharpness from the wheat and just the hint of mild orange.
Aftertaste of yeast and the dryness of the wheat.
Pleasant...actually nice...could session this but I think I would rather look for a Hoegaarden. Something about this felt and tasted a little too much like a Macro trying their hand at a seasonal. Close...but not really there. (792 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: This beer had about a one finger head that dissipated quickly. No real lacing to mention. Underneath lies a hazy, orange colored brew somewhat akin to a wheat ale.

Smell: Somewhat citrusy smell (mostly orange). Not really a strong smell here though.

Taste: This beer has a spicy taste that I can't quite pinpoint. It reminds me a bit of Hoegaarden, but a little more relaxed (which I prefer).

Mouthfeel/drinkability: This beer goes down easy. It's pretty light. If I was a bigger fan, I could drink a few these. I'm just not that big of a fan. Overall, it's drinkable. But definitely not one of Sam Adams better offerings. (643 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer had a somewhat cloudy, slightly darker than golden color with a plentiful dense white head and plenty of carbonation. In short time, I'm left with a ring of lace around my glass. There is some grain and a touch of yeast in the aroma, which is mild at best. The first sip is almost vegetal, with a strong uncooked grain flavor. There is mild sweetness, some acidity, but it lacks the ester complexity typically found in this style of beer. It's light on the tongue, with an uninterestingly bland finish.

After reading a few other reviews, I'm wondering if I had a batch that had been sitting around too long. (617 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -19%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a SA perfect pint.

Pours a slightly hazy dull golden color with an averaged sized fizzy head. Head is white, dissipates quickly and leaves really no lacing to speak of. Scent is a bit of wheat and grainy notes with a lot of citrus peel scents. Taste is lots of citrus notes and an almost cloying sweetness with the wheat and grainy notes mostly in the background. Can't really taste any sort of spices outside of the citrus peels. Mouthfeel is also a bit lacking, doesn't have the effervescent kind of carbonation I expected. I feel like this one pretty much misses the mark in every category that defines the style. (648 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -18.8%

The pour of Samuel Adams White into my weizen glass allows for a two finger white fluffy head that settles out to a 1/4 inch after minutes. The body is cloudy, though not as cloudy as most witbeers. It is also a shade darker than most as an orange or peach color. The aroma is cereal grains, spices, lemon and orange in the background. The cereal quality dominates the nose.

The flavor matches pretty well with a cereal graininess. I am wondering if this is right at 50% wheat as it tastes like it might be less. The Munich malt thrown into this beer also adds plenty more body than I like in the style.

Not really your typical witbeer, but SA doesn't really claim it to be one as it says right on the bottle that it is an American interpretation of the style. As an American wheat this is a pretty tasty beer, but up against other witbeers it is not as good. (862 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -18.8%

A- Pours a globe of orange haze with a full two fingers of head that's white and clean.

S- Aroma is really sweet with mandarin orange most prominent. There's a bit of spice, sort of a dusty pepper or old curry.

T- Taste is less sweet than I expected from the smell (really I was expecting some soda). A little unmelded- there's some dusty bitter hops, sweet orange on the front of my tongue, white bread. It's somewhat complex but there's no unity to the flavor.

M- Eh, this lingers for longer than I would like out of a witbier.

D- Not really my cup of tea (or glass of beer more accurately) (596 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance – This one poured a beautiful, hazy orange in color with a monster head that I had to control at the pour. It came down pitting, leaving a whitish film all along the inside of my glass.

Smell – There’s a faint yeasty note that wants to come out, but the nasty grain overlay ruins the attempt.

Taste – This is all wrong. There’s a very simple grainy sweetness to the taste that I’ve never had before. Not good.

Mouthfeel – This is big for a Witbier, a solid medium-bodied, with some good carbonation and a bit of fluffiness in the cheeks.

Drinkability – I’ll call this one a near miss. If they can get that flavor down this will be a good beer. That may sound stupid saying that, “If it only tasted better it would be good,” but the other qualities of the style are historically difficult to achieve, and here they are well along. (863 characters)

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)