Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

I recently visited the Samuel Adams Boston brewery and had the pleasure to sample the White Ale on-tap after the tour. I must say this is probably the most pure and fresh beer I will ever taste (seeing as how it only traveled 30 feet and they clean there tap lines religiously).
With that being said the the color was a dark yellow almost a really light orange. It was nice and hazy becuase it is a light filtered beer.
The smell was a nice fruity sent with some hints of spice.
The taste was phenomenal. Once again it did only travel 30 feet but this was a nice fruity taste. It almost reminded me of a Blue Moon. I tasted an orange like taste with a spice lingering taste.
The mouthfeel was a nice light feel. Very smooth.
I wish I lived at the Sam Adams brewery! I worship the guys who work there. I highly recommend the tour. It will definately be the freshest beer you will ever have.

Jcdolan, Mar 26, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -0.9%

One description came to mind as I first smelled this beer: fruit roll-up. Just to be sure I wasn't crazy, I asked a friend to smell it, too. I wasn't crazy. My first sip of the beer further confirmed: fruit roll-up. I appreciate a fruity smelling and fruity tasting beer, but this had a slight "fake" fruit feel to it.

The color was a few shades lighter than brown and the head a light creamy color. The taste is ok. I like whites and I thought that this just didn't measure up to others I've had. It was a spicy fruit flavor. It went down smoothly but the peppery flavor lingered in my mouth longer than I would have liked.

It was a beer that I will most likely drink again because, like others I've had, it is my favorite among others to choose from. It's not my favorite beer, but it's not the worst to date! I would definitely not pick it as my favorite white. This was on-tap, so I might try it in the bottle to give it another chance.

BlueHammer, Mar 26, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -8%

Enjoy by June 06 bottle
Cloudy straw with a good sized egg white head. Excellent retention and lacing. Spicy lemon aroma.
Creamy and sweet, but this one was predominantly spicy with peppar and coriander. Not bad, with some floral hops, just not awe inspiring. Those same attributes drew back on any drinkability rating.

Dithyramb, Mar 26, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +18.7%

Cloudy straw yellow. Pours a thin, filmy head. Smells of yeast, biscuits and fruit--appealing. Light on taste yet surprisingly malty. Taste is sweetish but balanced, and it's definitely more Blue Moon than Hoegaarden (the latter of which I don't care for). Light and crisp hop aftertaste. Very creamy, thick, full, and heavy in mouthfeel, but slightly mild in carbonation--a little more wouldn't hurt. Exceptionally acessible and drinkable for a wide audience of beer drinkers--not your average swill. Possibly too tame for other craft drinkers, but I just may start stocking this at my place.

Liquids, Mar 22, 2006

Wow! Possibly my favourite of the Sam Adams seasonals. Almost a gin-beer, given the number and type of botanicals they impart in this brew. I usually pick up a case or two every spring and let it last through the summertime. Great beer.
I tried this beer first out of the bottle, in a pint glass. The White Ale, retains a wonderfully fluffy and foamy head, great haze and cloudiness in its unfiltered form. A great nose, with citrus, coriander, licorice, a bit of vanilla, and a punch of juniper. The first drink swept me up in a creamy joy of seriously smooth wheat and easy going hop backdrop. I'm not sure if they threw in any malt or not, (i'm sure they did, but i don't remember much of a maltiness) but if they did, it balanced so silently well. A tangy light chewiness, and again, the creamy, dry finish with afterthoughts of orange zest and coriander. This beer is easy to drink, but if you like your wallet, you'll limit yourself to two or three at a time.
Great Beer. Hands Down.

CNeilP09, Mar 21, 2006
2.03/5  rDev -41.7%

A: pours a nice hazy browish golden color with white head and slight to moderate lacing
S: yeasty smell
T: im overwhelmed with the carbonation and am left with little taste in my mouth
M: too much carbonation leaves you with a dry feeling mouth
D: Its an ok beer nothing special and would drink it again if offered but i dont think i would buy it.

RMBoswell, Mar 19, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a small white head that falls quickly. Lacing does not occur.
S: A little yeast and some citrus, mostly lemon.
T: Lemon flavor dominates with other citrusy flavors. Overwhelmingly citrusy and sweet.
M: Pretty good, good carbonation, goes down pretty smooth.
D: Not a great Witbier imo, don't think I would buy it again with the other choices that are out there.

pbr85, Mar 19, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz brown bottle with best before June 2006. Pours a very cloudy straw colored beer with copper hues attempting to pierces the murk. Head is thick initially, about 2 fingers, and settles to a creamy white lace with sticky trails along the glass. What's odd about the appearance is that everything remains in suspension. There's zero settling (my bottle was kept cold for over a week). I looked for dregs, and found none, but the residual beer in the bottle had an odd consistency to it. They must be adding something to keep everything in suspension and always in a "state of unfilteredness?"

Wheaty aroma, with spicy with coriander, anise, lemon peel and a florally fruitiness.

Light, but very smooth and creamy on the palate. Creaminess is a big part of this brew. Low levels of sweetness, with wheat and associated husky tannins taking the front. Nice spicy hop profile with fresh hop leaf oils on the palate from the Tettnanger hops. Floral rose hips blend well with a light lemony twang, and slight orangey juiciness. Very tea like with a dusty coriander edge and faint flavor of anise. Touch of vanilla behind the citrus fruitiness. Herbal dryness towards the finish with wheat tannins becoming more pronounced as the beer warms, with a bit of lemon peel in the linger.

Overall, it's not all that bad ... but if they got some control over all of those tannins it'd be a much more appealing brew.

Todd, Mar 18, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

I'm not much into witbiers, but this was pretty good. It was a cloudy orange color with a medium-sized white head and some nice lacing. It had a sweet, fresh odor. It tasted fruity with some spice, and a tiny bit of hops. Very pleasant, very drinkable.

lordofthewiens, Mar 17, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured a very cloudy golden orange colour. Head was white and thin which dissipated quickly, but left some lacing in the glass. Aroma was a little sweet, with fruit, spices and perhaps a little yeast noticeable. Lots of citrusy fruit flavours with light coriander and other spices, but without any of them being overpowering. I'm not typically a big fan of Witbier, but I certainly enjoyed this one. Very well balanced and very drinkable. I'll certainly drink it again (and already have).

Xadoor, Mar 15, 2006
2.15/5  rDev -38.2%

I tried this beer last night at my favorite watering hole (Summits in Sandy Springs). It pours into a barrel mug a strange orange color with a 1/4" head that lasts with decent lacing. Since I had just finished a AB Spring Heat Spiced Wheat, I felt a great sense of deja vu. I figured that Sam Adams would be a lot different. Unfortunately, I was wrong. The smell of this beer was far weaker and had a musty and grassy scent. The taste is of corn, stale marshmallows, earth, and has a backwash tanginess at the end that I didn't like. The mouthfeel was light to medium with a fizzyness to it. I don't think I will be drinking this beer anytime soon. This is my least favorite of the Sam Adams beers (and I love a great many of them).

TheEclecticGent, Mar 15, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

I have to say, I think the taps I had my White Ale poured from must not have been cleaned very well...or the keg had skunked! This was the most painful tasting beer I have stumbled across in quite a while, and considering Sam Adam's has always been my fallback brew, I found it really disturbing. It poured well, and the head and lace were all really nice looking, but there was an awful 'subtaste' and horribly bitter aftertaste. Had it been a craft-brewed IPA or somesuch thing, I might have been able to get past it, but this was at a bar that considers Blue Moon to be a non-domestic draft!!

Hopefully just a bad batch, considering everything I've read in the good reviews is what i tend to look for in a beer. Give me another, just not on tap at the local watering hole...

HaVoKnYnJ, Mar 14, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

A - Look's almost like a glass of OJ you'd have in the morning. Very cloudy, maybe some pulp, with a slight head that keeps through out.

S - Smells good, light wheat, orange, coriander. A very fresh beer with a very plesant nose.

T - Same as the nose but a bit richer, the fruit and spice is well balanced and complementary. A wonderful taste when you don't feel like another Double Russian Imperial Coffee Chocolate Bourbon Stout.

M - Decently thick in the mouth, a carbonated wit. The fruit and spice keep your mouth fresh to say the least.

D - I don't know why people are giving this beer a bum deal, the drinkablity is fantastic, I bought a 12 pack, and could see myself taking down all of it in a night and love every second of it.

People are rating this low and I don't know why, I think they are losing sight that we comapre against style and not all of beerdom. When it comes to great tasting, drinkable wit's, this is about as good as it gets. I wish this was around for summer also and not just spring.

Bumpon10s, Mar 13, 2006
2.9/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured a little dark for a white beer, but nicely cloudy none the less.
Nice full head that disappated to a nice full lacing that lasted the entire glass.
"Darkerthebetter" is right...there is a predominate smell of corn chips in this beer. I notice a slight toasted sweet malt aroma...no citrus...just mostly corn chips. Strange.
mouthfeel is nice from the carbonation...also the beer feels slightly thick.
Taste is mostly bready yeast with a slight sharpness from the wheat and just the hint of mild orange.
Aftertaste of yeast and the dryness of the wheat.
Pleasant...actually nice...could session this but I think I would rather look for a Hoegaarden. Something about this felt and tasted a little too much like a Macro trying their hand at a seasonal. Close...but not really there.

IntriqKen, Mar 12, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer poured a surprisingly dark orange amber that’s very foggy. The little film of a head is slightly off white. For a white ale, this beer's color isn’t very white.

Smells of limes, American cheese, oats and salty corn chips. If I were smelling nachos, I would be really happy. But alas, it’s a beer.

Tastes of a little orange citrus up front and then fades into a pale malt marshmallow and a dirty earthy yeast with a watery, slightly woody dry finish.

The mouth feel is medium bodied and sticky with a light carbonation. This is entirely too heavy and dense for my liking.

Alright. We have here a dark orange “white” beer that smells like corn chips and tastes like marshmallows and orange zest and is way to heavy. Sam, you missed the mark by a long shot.

DarkerTheBetter, Mar 10, 2006
3.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from bottle into stein.

Appearance is a cloudy orange, as with unfiltered brews. Decent lacing of a barely off-white head.

Smell is heavily of orange peel; smelled actually a lot like marmelade. A bit of yeast and wheat.

Taste shouts of orange peel; with a moderately rough biting carbonation. If you like sweeter beers, here you go. There is a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is, as I said, moderately carbonated; otherwise smooth.

Drinkability -- I could have many, many of these lighter ales.

The key, as with Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat beer, to find a food that counters its sweetness with saltiness or bitterness.

Lancer211, Mar 08, 2006
2.28/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours out a deep, cloudy peach with a miniscule white head. Looks like mai tai with foam, actually. There's a wheat twang and spicy yeast in the nose, but those aromas are over-powered by spices and sugar. Tasting this beer, I experience those same flaws. This beer is just too damned sweet and spiced, with a heavy-handed flavor of apricot and peach. A good wit should allow the spices, yeast, and wheat play along well. Everything here is pummeled into the ground by sugar and spice. A slight twang in the finish tries to help beat the sweetness down, but it fails. The mouthfeel here is quite nice and fluffy form the wheat, but it needs more carbonation. I suppose this manages to do something slightly right. Really hard to finish, but it's managable.

Although it lacks much, what really would've made this slightly bearable is if it would've had that certain "brightness" I tend to associate with wits. It's like drinking a girly cocktail, so if that's your thing, then go balls to the wall with Sam Adams White Ale.

goochpunch, Mar 07, 2006

First witbier of the year, I was definitely ready for one, and Sam Adams actually does a really good job with this seasonal. Pours a bright but muddy orange, looks like a screwdriver almost, no real head but a nice spidery lacing left behind on the glass. Nose is a light wheat malt with some slight spices, corianders the only one jumping out. Taste starts out with this spicy coriander, gives way to a smooth wheat malt with fruity hints of lemon and orange, finishes with a burst of allspice and clove. Medium bodied, high carbonation, nice and refreshing. This is a really good beer that can be found a lot of places, a flavorful and refreshing brew, one of Sam’s better seasonals.

cubedbee, Mar 06, 2006
2.55/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured very cloudy, amber orange, with a bid head that stayed with the beer for a long while. Little light penetrated. Very welcome beer appearence wise. There was nothing to compare the scent of this beer too. Blue Moon was about the only other wit beer I've had and this smelled three levels higher. Mostly like a sweet orange juice and sour grapefruit juice scent, appetizing. That's where my praise ends. Mouth was creamy, buttery but there was an unpleasant feel at the end of the swallow, almost like the milk at the end of a bowl of Trix cerial. Of course, the first taste was of orange juice, then it became mostly about black licorace. There was a hop flavor that made this mildly bitter. The buttery taste, is just like Blue Moon, so that must go with the style? However, the fruitiness of this beer, it seemed like liquid Trix and licorace.

So, absolutely not. While Blue Moon is a mild beverage that is good every once in a while, this was drinkable, but nothing I'd get again.

Ricochet, Mar 05, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from a bottle purchased as a six pack, I feel like I got a good jump on this Sam Adams seasonal in early March 2006. Sam Adams' beers are always exceptional considering their distribution and the bottle shows how much pride the company puts into its beer, with brief summaries of the style and how it should be enjoyed.

I love unfiltered wheat beers though so I was excited to sample Sam Adams' seasonal offering Witbier for the first time with great enthusiasm. The beer poured golden and cloudy into a pint glass and had a lacy, small head formation that quickly disappated, which is true to the style. The smell is sweet, fruity and not overly yeasty but certainly enjoyable.

Diving in, the beer goes down smooth and feels great in the mouth. This is the type of beer that is typically served with a slice of lemon or orange, but I feel like that would ruin the character of the yeast and fruity aroma. This is a tasty beer; light, slighty spicy (herbal, not hot of course) and fruity, without being too yeasty or bitter. Overall, this is the perfect beer for the spring season and I only wish it were warmer here to enjoy outside.

As far as drinkability is concerned, well, once I finished off the glass, I reached for it again and was disappointed to find it empty; which resutled in me immediately getting another from the fridge. Two thumbs up.

KFaulkner, Mar 05, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

This beer poured a cloudy orange/golden yellow body with a decent white head.

Nose was a mix of wheat, yeast and strong fruity bubble gum type smell.

Medium bodied and a thick wheat beer taste. Loads of fresh summery citrus flavors. Orange juice, lemon, tangerines, peaches, bubble gum, banana. Loads of spices, sort of smells like my spice cabinets soon as you open the door. Old, dried, mixed bag of every spice out there. So although it has touches of cinnamon and coriander, it also tastes like someone tossed in oregano and dried basil.

It's an interesting Wit, a nice attempt, but it's very unfocused. The odd spice flavors once noticed become very distracting. Drinkable, but I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again.

taez555, Mar 04, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -5.2%

After waiting with my fingers crossed for another snow storm and good weather to continue drinking winter brews I've resigned myself to accepting that march has come to Colorado and spring (skiing) is not far behind. So here was a seasonal brew to console me about the end of winter and amp me up for spring.

The white ale is a beautiful golden and amber--much darker than many white ales--with a large white head. A handsome beer to be sure. the bouquet has sulfur overtones with a slight soapiness and apple sweetness: a nice mix of earthy and spicy.

On the palate, the spices are restrained: only a hint of coriander and little to no orange peel. There's a refreshing sweetness at the start that gives way to a medium-bodied mix of lemon and other mixed citrus
that slide across the back of the mouth. The overall mouthfeel is smooth and spritzy, appropriate for the style and it has a very clear quenching character to it.

Overall, I found this to be slightly underdone for the style, but it is highly refreshing and certainly worth a try--in other words, a passable but by no means exceptional wit.

benito, Mar 03, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

Served in a 22oz beer mug.

A- looks like a witbier cloudy with a big white head that disappates rather quickly.

S- not much nose from this tap but subtle hints of bread

T- another great tasting offering from the Boston Beer Co. nice balanced taste nothing overpowering clean and crisp. Hints of wheat. No aftertaste at all very clean finish.

M- a bit thinner than I expected, but far from watery

D- I had 16 oz of this beer and culd have had many more. The drinkability of this beer is as ussual where this SA beer shines. A smooth spring offering this is another triumph from SA.

mcarroll10177, Mar 02, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a hazey orange color with a decent head.

The aroma is full of spicy citrus smells such as lemon, orange, and lime with just a hint of corriander.

The taste is a little flatter than I would have expected. The citrus fruits from the aroma barely make an appearance. While this is not typical of a witbier it is still a very tastey brew.

This brew is while not typical of its' genre is still very good, and very thirst quenching. This would make a great summer brew.

rebel1771, Feb 28, 2006
3.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Looks like a witbier should. Pale golden color, very hazy and cloudy. Nose is spicy- citrusy and wheaty. Cloves, maybe coriander. Taste is a mishmash of things... lots of wheatyness, lots of spices, lots of earthyness. Interesting- not offensive- but not really lovely either. Overwhelming bready. Mouthfeel is alright- on the watery side, but otherwise okay. Fairly drinkable- but not my favorite Sam Adams.

scooter231, Feb 27, 2006
Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)