Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. A nice one finger head is formed on top of a cloudy, orange/melon colored beer. Nice lacing is left down the side of the glass as well.

Spicy aroma. Smells almost like a spicy italian sausage with some red sauce on top. Lemon and citrus as well. Pleasant aroma thats for sure. I really love the spiciness of the beer.

Taste is pleasantly citrusy and fruity. Lemon and lime, white bread, vanilla, corriander, bologna, orange peel. My list is different than the one of the bottle with the ingredients, but these are my taste buds and I will not compromise them for anyone!!!

Light mouthfeel. Great carbonation makes this light on the tongue.

I remember I bought a case of this in college about 8 years ago. I was like "No wonder this stuff isnt good. Its all cloudy and has dirt on the bottom. Is this like 10 years old or something?" Funny the things we remember. I hated it then but really enjoy this beer now. Thanks Sammy!

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

I remember the first time I tasted Sam Adams. It was 1989 I thought it was a crappy attempt at making a "traditional" beer. I avoided it for the next 16 years. Boy am I sorry for that.

I recently have returned to the fold of the BBC and have become a (pardon the pun) a huge advocate of Sam Adams.

So with no hesitation whatsoever I grabbed the 12 pack off the rack when I saw the White Ale. I was rewarded with a light, drinkable peppy Wheat Ale that I am ready to have more of.

there's another reviewer at beeradvocate.com named yesola who is a friend of mine who I convinced to try this even though he is no fan of wheat brews. I'm sure it will be an ale he will try again.

When first poured it has a thick head which dissapates quickly, the beer is very pale almost like an American commercial abomination, but the taste is grand. the mouthfeel is crisp and full. the beer has a slight bite, but no skunk. I find that I can drink more of these than is typical of Sam Adams (not because I don't enjoy them, but because they tend to 'stay' with you long after you're done drinking them)

Overall: I like this Ale with a snack or by itself and I can drink more than 2 at a sitting, bring it to your poker night.

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%

I poured this into a glass.

A- It looked great with a large head and a nice amber/gold color.
S- Maybe I had a skunked one, but the smell was very strong and unpleasant. I know this is a bad review because I can't describe the unpleasantness.
T- It wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. It didn't taste seasonal at all, the label said spring spices but I couldn't taste any of that. All I tasted was wheat and bitterness.
M- As I previous said, it was quite bitter, but it was smooth going down. It didn't leave a big taste in my mouth at all.
D- I'd much rather have the Winter Lager. I won't get it again.

3.98/5  rDev +14.7%

Pours a cloudy, vibrant, medium amber-orange with a small, slightly off-white, tight head with good retention. Attractive intricate lacing. The beer was served REALLY cold, but that didn’t mute the rather full nose too much. Huge wheat aromas, strawberry, cilantro, orange. The taste is big as well, with berry battling it out with cereal for top billing. Light sweetness fades into a citrus and herbal, lightly dry finish. It has a medium body, dry texture and soft carbonation. This is not an every-day, easy-drinking ale, but it’s wonderfully complex for the style. Good for the mood I was in at the time of tasting this beer, but possibly a bit too much if you are looking for a more traditional witbier.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

This Sam just popped up at my local vendor so I ventured a quaff. Poured into a chalice it is a beautiful translucent honey yellow. The head is tan and strong with great lacing. The smell is tantalizing with the ibiscus being most prevalent. Many other fruit flavors are present. The taste is the most "sparkly" belgian I have ever imbibed to date. Mouthfeel is a cornucopia of flavors with a carbonation that delivers like Fedex. Great recipe. Anything with Sam's name on it delivers. I am enjoying this brew immensely, it's a sessioner. No doubt.

2.58/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours orange with a fluffy white head.

Spicy nose with a strong yeast background, key lime, coriander, orange peel.

Wow! Incredibly boring flavor not at all reminiscent of a witbier. Basicallly a spiced american hefe. Uninspiring yeast flavors with some ending coriander notes. Not bad for an American wheat, but pretty poor for a witbier. No crazy banana clove esters, obviously not fermented with a Belgian strain.

Medium bodied and nicely carbonated, a very drinkable beer, but not a witbier as far as I'm concerned.

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

At a local Friday's very glad when the served it without the ctrus wedge you get with some whites and hefe's. Very cloudy muddy brown water with a delicate white hat the laces the whole 22 oz glass. Smell is of wheat and hints of sulfur and bigger notes of citrus. Jim and Co. did this one right in the taste, not to sulfury form the yeast and nice well blended taste of white and subte citrus tones and a spice from a low dose of hops. Great mouthfeel and very drinkable, in fact I am going back tonight for more.

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%

Into a weiss glass with this one... drink by June '06.
Looks like a witbier should. Very hazy with a fluffy white head. Has the color of apple cider.
Odor is spicy; corriander is prominent. Has some mild citrus notes. Sweet and a bit striking.
The flavor is subtle and mild... almost too subtle and mild. The flavor that's there is pretty good and well balanced, but compared to others of the style I've had this one is anemic. Hints of ryebread
Mouthfeel is pretty pleasant. Has a nice, smooth finish that lingers; reminds me of just having eaten a good, not too sweet pastry.
A bit weak for the style but this is all around a pretty well crafted brew. This could definately be an eye opener for some.

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

Ok first of all the first thing that comes to my mind when I drink this beer is liquid bread. The smell and the taste is just yeast and wheat. Ok so when this beer is poured, the color is hazy slightly burnt orange. There is a sizeable foamy head that dissapates quickly but leaves a ring of foam residue around the rim of the beer. The smell is primarily yeast and wheat as said before. The taste is the same along with some bitter orange peels and maybe a few other spices that I cannot distinguish. As compared to their hefeweizen, this certainly displays a more spicy characteristic than a citrusy fruity one. The mouthfeel is a good thickness and carbonation. Overall I find this to be a pretty drinkable beer and one that I could enjoy each spring.

3.98/5  rDev +14.7%

This pours a cloudy orange with a large head that disappears quickly. The smell is very peppery with alot of wheat and lemon. The taste is crisp and refreshing with alot of carbonation. The flavors are dominated by the wheat,lemon,and coriander,pepper. The m/f is light and well balanced which makes this a very drinkable beer that I will look forward to each spring.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

pours straw coloredw ith a big puffy head that fell into a nice blanket that sustained the duration of consumption.
the aroma is citrus, i think i pick up the grains of paradise, it is very herbal.
the flavor has a spicy, herbal, wheatie, citrus, minerially. there is a spicy tingling on my tounge.
the mouthfeel is watery, little creamy.
pretty good and drinkable, best is warm weather.

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance- Abundant, moderately thick head. Good retention; the head slowly recedes, eventually leaving a frothy pile of foam on the surface of the beer. Opaque, amber-orange color.

Smell- Malt and spices on first sniff; agitation brings out a strong orange peel aroma. Some herbal hop scents gently pop up, but they mostly blend into the background.

Taste & Mouthfeel- Soft, but lively mouthfeel. Thin-to-medium bodied, with moderate levels of carbonation. Dry, twangy wheat flavor up front. The finish is earthy and complex; hop flavors are detectable, and the spices kick in once the beer hits the back of the tongue. The spice tastes like equal parts orange peel and cinnamon.

Verdict- It's my first witbier, and I like it. It's light enough to be a refreshing hot day beer, but it's also reasonably complex.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Served from a 12oz. bottle in a pilsener glass at just below cellar temperature.

A - Pours a hazy yellow orange color with much effervescent action. In the glass, it looks like the effects a waterfall might have just below the surface where it hits. The white head rises up to a full finger before slowly dimishing to a thin, but covering film. Lacing is excellent, leaving a swis cheese holed film all the way to the bottom of the glass.

S - Yeasty, citrusy notes are at the fore. Coriander is also present in a gently measured dose. Malts are subdued. Clean, crisp, fresh.

T - Grains and straw are the first tastes that hit my palette, followed closely by a nice orange and spice tang. The finish is not very hoppy at all, and leaves a light and not unpleasant yeasty organic aftertaste. Nicely balanced.

M - A bit too tingly at first, but settles down, turning rolling and round. The swallow is fluid and easy.

D - This is an easy drinker that's got good flavor without the heaviness and overt sweetness of maltier fare. An excellent entry for this style.

4.28/5  rDev +23.3%

Feb. 1st – is it spring already? But this was a refreshing brew on this 55 degree day in STL. I was looking forward to it , and it did not disappoint.

Excellent pour, amber/org with lots of wheaty sediment in there. Great lacing all the way down. Nice orange/malt aroma, and the quaff was well bodied and enjoyable – nice notes of coriander, winter spices and lemon. On tap this was a striking brew to behold.

A tad too much alcohol (5.2) for a *proper* session brew, but what the hell – close enough for government work. Drink ‘em up! Especially with the low American price versus an import – looking forward to getting the bottled version.

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Although this is marketed as a spring beer, I' m always more comfortable drinking witbier in the heat of June or July as oppossed to the first of February but beggars can't be choosers, at least it's fresh, right.
Emits a fresh, quality appearance: nearly orange color that reminds me of apple cider crowned with lasting wet foamy head and lacing. Smell is spicy and sweet, resembling a pumpkin ale with the cinnamon, nutmeg, et alum.
Taste is slightly dissapointing. Flavors of wheat and citrus are present but boring and the texture is a bit watery and the beer is generally lacking "bite" to keep it from becoming just another anonymous witbier.
This is what it is, but I won't go out of my way for one of these in the future, especially with Hoegaarden increasingly available out here in suburbia.

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%

2006 release. Pours golden, opaque with disturbed sediment and lots of tiny rising bubbles. Two finger head, dense and creamy, holds exceptionally well. Immaculate sticky lace. Mild notes of wheat, citrus, and faint clove or coriander in the nose. Lots of wheat and yeast flavor, with a slightly puckering lemon zest. Aftertaste is dry, with some acute coriander spice to balance the wheat and citrus fairly well. Full bodied, with a fine carbonation that is not quite crisp, but very smooth. Good drinkability, with a interesting tart character, another above average seasonal from Sammy Adams.

3.45/5  rDev -0.6%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden orange with a white creamy head.

Smell: Picking out yeast, slight hop smell and spices.

Taste: Begins with a malt taste and then moves on to yeast and coriander. Also hints of orange and some slight hop bitterness is present. As the beer warms the spices become more pronounced but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Smooth Mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Would not be a bad summer beer.

Another good beer from Boston Brewing Company.

3.28/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured a cloudy light amber color with massive white puffy head. Smell is mildly fruity with notes of spices. Spiciness comes throught in the taste, as does a graininess. Finish is thirst quenching, but not much else. Average at best. There are better witbiers around.

3.78/5  rDev +8.9%

This one is cloudy and golden brown in color. The head is about 3 cm, but quickly retreats. (some lacing)

The aroma is of spice and yeast.

The flavor matches the aroma nicely. It’s a nice blend of clove and spices with a yeasty taste.

Mouth feel is light and refreshing. The carbonation is also quite generous.

This is a great hot summer beer.

4.38/5  rDev +26.2%

A seasonal brew from Sam Adams. Date of Jul/05. Pours a cloudy yellow with a very nice head and lacing. Scent of sweet, which is reminiscent of this style (White Ale). This is a nice version of the style from Sam Adams Nice light feel with a great after taste. This is a very social brew, many can be had.

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

Pour is of a hazy medium copper color-darker than I am used to wwith this style. Head is very full and carries a slightly off white tinge. Carbonation level is also high and true to style. Nose carries a strong peppery aroma, no other spices detected, maybe a slight hint of yeast. Flavor picks up the peppery notes and adds some maltiness to them. Finish is long peppery intro and then a long dry finish. Drinkable, a strange spiciness for style, and somewhat one dimensional.

Pours a very hazy shade of orange, which is to be expected for the style. Very nice medium bubble white head. Smells of sweet orange peal, but not overpowering. I very much like the smell. Somewhat heavy body. Light spicy flavor, typical of Belgians, but subdued. Maybe due to the unexpected heaviness of the body. The heaviness is almost distracting since I was not expecting it. Aftertaste is minty… Like the aftertaste from eating wild spearmint and washing it down with a beer. I really liked this beer, but found it out of place in the spring and summer lineup. To me, this is a fall beer. Again, a bit too heavy for spring or summer fare but perfect for an autumn festival. I plan to buy at least a six pack to sit for the coming of fall.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a hazed copper color with a modest cream colored head. The aroma is nice spicey black pepper punch and a light sweet yeasty smell. The taste is more of a weak version of the aroma with more spiciness and a sticky yeast sweetness and a light hoppy punch that is joined by the carbonation to provide just a little bite. A very nice light to medium bodied warm-hot weather beer that finishes slightly sticky dry. Not bad!

Notes: Some reason it tasted better than the first time I reviewed it. Mood? Scenario? I don't know, but tis odd. How much weight shall we put into reviews?

2.8/5  rDev -19.3%

This is hands down the worst witbier I've ever encountered. I'd rather have a Blue Moon, as a matter of fact. This one just didn't do it for me, and I'm a fan of the style when done right.

It looks pretty decent and wit-y. Has a hazed orange glow to it, but the head seems to be utterly lacking a few seconds after the pour.

The smell is decent as well. Has a definite spiced coriander and orange peel smell. Also a bit spicy from the wheat malt and yeasty clove flavors. Even a bit hoppy.

The taste is very disappointing, though. Between all of the above spicey notes, this is one hell of an overly spiced beer. The finish is very parched and dry. This is not something I would even think of sessioning on, thus it makes a shitty seasonal brew for late spring or early summer in my opinion. The spiciness is way over the top.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours out amber colored with a nice white head, which remains during the course of drinking the beer.

Smell is so-so, a bit citrus.

Taste isn't bad, drinks smooth and tastes a bit of oranges. I haven't had many Witbiers, so I don't have a reference to compare this to.

This is a rather refreshing beer, and leaves a bit of a sweet taste in my mouth. Again, like I was just drinking orange juice. I could certainly drink more of these.

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)