Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

Cloudy, very pale amber-orange color with a lot of carbonation and a decent puffy head. This is a nice-looking brew. Generous wheat-like citrus in the aroma…lemon, orange…there’s a little yeastiness and an appealing spiciness (pepper, clove). Taste is fairly light, with the wheat, lemon, and a bit of malt mixed together. Refreshing and drinkable. It’s not as spicy as it could be, but is very enjoyable. It’s an accessible beer as well. My brother, a dedicated macro-drinker, really enjoyed this one.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

I had this from a 12 oz brown bottle served in an Ommegang Witte glass. Freshness date is clearly notched on the side of the label for June.

Pours a vibrant orange haze. Started out with a fairly nice head, but it quickly turned into a thin white lacing around the glass.

The nose is musty, spicy and citrusy.

A juicy and syrupy carbonated mouthfeel. Major tastes of oranges and foreign spices. Black pepper and orange soda blend.

Not a bad attempt at the style, but there is something generic about it. I will have this again, but I'm not impressed. Very drinkable and a solid offering from a brewery of this size.

3.8/5  rDev +9.5%

My favorite BBC beer so far, at least of those that don't cost $12 a bottle.

Appearance: This one seems to glow. Unfiltered and a mellow orange to amber. Some head when first poured into my snifter, but faded quickly, leaving only a ring of white around the edges of the glass.

Smell. Not much. But as I always note, my sniffer at the best one out there. Slight fruity notes and perhaps a bit of the corriander.

Taste. Not the mass produced flavor I was expecting, or the one I find in Hoegarten. Strong fruity flavors, perhaps from the yeast, perhaps from whatever this beer was spiced with. As a pleasant amount of corriander. A slight sourness and/or bitterness in the finish. Leaves a rather strong bitter aftertaste in my mouth. Guess I should just drink more to wash it way :-).

Mouthfeel: a bit thin, but I feel this is acceptable for the style. Tingles the tongue.

Drinkability. This is the type of beer that begs for a second. Smooth and flavorful without being too strong or overwelming. A definate session beer.

4.72/5  rDev +36%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a really good beer from boston beer. The taste and smell are unique. It has a deep, yet clean, fruity taste. I really cant compare it because i cant think of any beer remotely like it. I also taste some sweet spices. This is a real winner fellow beer drinkers. I don't think anyone could find disfavor with this as it is a very well balanced, flavorful and easy to drink beer.

3.7/5  rDev +6.6%

I go out in my town with my girlfriend and expect to drink garbage beer. Much to my enjoyment, at the local chain restaurant, they had just tapped a fresh keg of sam adams white ale. a great beer when expecting to have to setlle for a yuengling or a guiness.

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Cloudy orange amber capped by a generous, dense ivory-colored head. fair amount of sticky lace.

Aroma is Bright, citrusy (orange peel??) Apricots with wheat/malt/earth, aroma and unidentified floral notes /spices.

Tastes less spicy than Hogaarden. The flavor is a sweet, non-toasted maltiness/doughy with citrus peel notes. The spices are present, but in the background. It's not a bad flavor profile, just different. It's difficult for me to describe the spices since I haven't really run into this particular flavor before,

The body is medium, but is smooth and creamy. I seem to feel the sweetness more than actually tasting it.

Samuel Adams White Ale is a refreshing, thirst quencher.

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer pours a cloudy orange color with a tall white head that fades somewhat slowly and leaves a small bit of lacing on the glass. Lots of citrus in the aroma along with some spice from the yeast. The flavor is a little spicy with a citrus hint and a nice fruity character. Smooth to drink. Nice mouthfeel. This makes for a nice witbier and I'll probably have it again if given the chance.

3.43/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a hazy, pulpy, peach with a soft whitish head. Smells of apricots, tangy yeast, metal, and coriander. Taste is crisp, tangy apricot wheat. A little lemon zest too. Turns wheat bitter with a yeasty finish. Lively, but also a little mouth coating feel. Not bad--better than Summer Ale--but still not what I would call a dead-on witbier.

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

Cloudy, yeastified orangish amber capped by a generous ivory-colored head that displays a moonscape surface, persists nicely and is tacky enough to leave an acceptable amount of lace as a chunky, short collar.

Bright, orange peel citrusy nose with an undercurrent of musky, slightly pungent spices. It doesn't smell nearly as spicy as most wits that I've had and I can't really appreciate the coriander/clove type scents at all.

The flavor is significantly less spicy too. The focal point is modestly sweet untoasted pale malt with citrus peel top notes. The spices are definitely in the background. It's difficult for me to adequately describe the spices since I haven't run into this combination of flavors before, but I have a feeling that the grains of paradise are what I'm tasting most vividly.

A smidgen of white pepper and a 'flowery' flavor are buried in there as well. While it isn't exactly the same, it's similar to a rose water-based beverage that I had at a Pakistani restaurant recently. The body is medium, yet is ultra smooth and almost creamy.

Samuel Adams White Ale is a different animal, that much is certain. I can't say that I prefer it to some of my favorite witbiers (Great Lakes Holy Moses, John's Generations White Ale, Avery White Rascal), but it has a smooth citrusiness and a combination of spices that I find appealing. I'll look for it again.

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

Had on tap at Uno's. Unos is a great place for some great pizza and especially since they carry Sam Adams. Usually they have the Sam Adams ale, and then a seasonal. At the moment it is the white beer. If you are expecting a white or wit beer like I was, you will be disappointed. This is nothing like a hoegarden, blue moon, or a celis white. This seems like a robust pale ale. It's not bad, and beats the hell out of the macros on tap (Coors light and such). The flavors are subtle, nothing jumps out, the most noticeable is a mild hop finish. Again, a robust, solid pale ale, but not a white or wit.

3.23/5  rDev -6.9%

This is a decent witbier, although not as good as I had been hoping for. Usually the Sam Adams seasonals are good examples of the style, but this one is unimpressive. It is no better than, say, Blue Moon, or any other mass-produced witbier.

The beer appears an orangey white in my glass. The smell is of mild hops. The taste is, fortunately, the best part of this beer. It tasted to me sweet and fruity. The body is lighter than medium, and this beer seems go down very fast. To get the taste, I feel like I am taking bigger sips of the beer than I normally would. If the flavor of the beer were more rich, than I would be a much better experience.

2.68/5  rDev -22.8%

This is a very generic tasting Belgian Witber, very similar to Blue Moon. It's best to skip this one, though it is a decent beer nevertheless - there are just much better ones out there.

The beer pours a cloudy, yellowish-orange color.

The aroma is of a faint yeasty aroma with some spicy overtones of corriander.

The flavor is mildly spicy with overtones of corriander and orange rind. The body is very smooth and creamy, with moderate carbonation.

This is a very average Witber at best - not recommended.

3.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This one was a cloudy beep yellow beer with a low, not well-formed head. Not what I had expected from a Samuel Adams.

All I could smell was bitter aromatic hops... none of the refreshing crispness that most white beers have.

It tasted smooth, and had the bitter foretaste that the aroma suggested, but that didn't last nearly long enough. I like bitter... this one hinted, briefly delivered, then quickly took away.

An all right beer, but not exceptional.

2.85/5  rDev -17.9%

Appearance – This one poured a beautiful, hazy orange in color with a monster head that I had to control at the pour. It came down pitting, leaving a whitish film all along the inside of my glass.

Smell – There’s a faint yeasty note that wants to come out, but the nasty grain overlay ruins the attempt.

Taste – This is all wrong. There’s a very simple grainy sweetness to the taste that I’ve never had before. Not good.

Mouthfeel – This is big for a Witbier, a solid medium-bodied, with some good carbonation and a bit of fluffiness in the cheeks.

Drinkability – I’ll call this one a near miss. If they can get that flavor down this will be a good beer. That may sound stupid saying that, “If it only tasted better it would be good,” but the other qualities of the style are historically difficult to achieve, and here they are well along.

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance:

Remarkably similar in appearance to their Hefeweizen, this is a cloudy gold ale with a large head (though fewer lacing than their Hefe).

Smell:

Ripe papaya or mango (definitely some tropical fruit).

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very smooth with an upfront fruit characteristic (tropical), that blends into a bitter yeasty finish. This goes down easy.

2.88/5  rDev -17%

When poured into a clear glass the color was golden with huses of orange, with a nice white foam head. The smell of hops was slighty evident and the aroma was of a weak Belgium Style Ale. The taste was also weak with not much on the aftertaste. It had a bitterness that was pleasant, but, also a sour feel on the palate, that was not of my liking. Nice on a hot day as a quincher!

2.73/5  rDev -21.3%

The Samuel Adams White Ale pours a hazy orange color with sediment dropping falling in to the glass at end of pour (normal) the head is creamy and falls to a respectable froth. Smell is dull and uninviting, hints of hops and grains but nothing really there. The taste is what you would expect after the smell, rather dull with spice flavors with no pizazz in the hops. Feels rather light, drinkable for one but did not want to go back.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours to a hazy orange color with a creamy tan head. The aroma is herbal/spicy with coriander & orange peel. I also got a bit of mintiness in the aroma as well. The flavor is full of the spices of coriander & orange peel. It has a solid malt backbone as well. The beer is light in body and refreshing, and finishes a bit dry. Not too bad of a beer.

Sampled 3/3/04

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Hazy, pale yellow-gold in hue with pasty highlights. A lovely white head of more than two fingers in height topped off this Wit idyllically. The head retention was very good; it slowly faded to a foamy cap, which still had decent size throughout consumption. The subsequent lacing was spotty and sticky. It looks good in a glass. The first whiff of the nose told me that SA got the key components of the style; it was orangey with other notes of zippy citrus, coriander with a hint of yeasty-wheat-bread at the finish. The potency is modest but plenty loud enough to understand the invitation. It is a good Wit nose; it just lacks a little panache! The palate is quite juicy; I like the citrus notes upfront. In the middle a big gush of orange follows and wipes out any other flavors for a moment. In the finish I could taste the spices, they are a bit muddled and it is hard to place the individual seasoning (maybe cloves, coriander, nutmeg?). Only in the aftertaste is the malt tasted, wheaty, dull but round and tasty. If the malty taste could start early in the beer SA would have a real winner here. As is, I’d say it is a bit better than Coors’ Blue Moon and even Boulevard’s ZON. It is an Americanized Wit for the masses. The sweetness grows, I can’t see quaffing too many in one setting. Still I like it, as it is tasty and refreshing. The carbonation is on the bigger side, pleasant mouthfeel, medium-light in body; all in all it works for the style. I’ve passed on this many times but when I seen a 12-pack on sale of $8 I caved in. SA White Ale is an average beer really.

4.15/5  rDev +19.6%

Samuel Adams White Ale pours a murky orange from a brown 12oz glass bottle. Head is fantastic and goes to more than three fingers in a 22oz beer glass and is persistent to the end.

Nose is coriander, lemon and other citrus with a wheat base, quite complex and very pleasant.

Taste is a wonderful unfiltered wheat with coriander, lemon and other citrus... grapefruit?

All in all, I like this offering from Sam Adams... not bad, not bad at all.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

A decent stab at the Belgian wit/white style. A darker than normal yellow colour with a nice white head of foam that lasts for the glass. The aromas are all coriander, orange peel, and classic witte spices, as well as a nice yeasty wheat presence. The taste is yeasty up front with a nice spiciness in the middle, and a bit of a "too-sweet-for-me" finish. The mouthfeel is light and that makes this brew very quaffable. Very reminiscent of Hoegaarden, but not quite as good. A good try though.

3.55/5  rDev +2.3%

Samuel Adams White Ale is just an extremely smooth and subtle brew. To me it seems like a perfect beer for the summer, and I'm a little unhappy that the Spring season is almost over. The only thing really lacking here is that this beer only has a faint aroma, and that the beer is so subtle that it lacks a highly noticible taste. Still this is a nice beer that I will be looking foward tonext Spring.

7.7/10

3.15/5  rDev -9.2%

Pours a hazy light golden amber. Smell hard to smell much light citrus, spice and grain very light in nose department. Taste better light citrus with some spiciness, no yeast taste to speak of though I poured some in? Clean refreshing light tasting brew but nothing here calling me to have another.

Every once in a while, Sam Adams seems to come out with something lovely. This is one of those times. Pours into the glass the color of honey, with the transparency marred slightly by an odd sort of light cloudiness. Wonderfully tiny bubbles in the head too. Scent is light and heavily citrus.

The taste is light and malty, with one of the most refreshingly clean finishes I've had in recent memory. Perhaps one of the better San Adams seasonals I've tried, I'll look forward to more of this next year.

4.3/5  rDev +23.9%

Is it just me or is this really hard to find? My first taste of Sam Adams White came late one night when my car broke down and I was stranded waiting for a ride in the middle of nowhere Mass. Luckily after hiking a mile or so to a closed down ski resort, I came upon a group of ski instructors celebrating the end of the season, and was offered one of these.
Mmm good beer. Very light and fruity, at first I had to check that what I was given was actually beer. But nevertheless, I am still hunting this beer down to try again...

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)