Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance:

Remarkably similar in appearance to their Hefeweizen, this is a cloudy gold ale with a large head (though fewer lacing than their Hefe).

Smell:

Ripe papaya or mango (definitely some tropical fruit).

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Very smooth with an upfront fruit characteristic (tropical), that blends into a bitter yeasty finish. This goes down easy.

cbl2, Jun 17, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -17.2%

When poured into a clear glass the color was golden with huses of orange, with a nice white foam head. The smell of hops was slighty evident and the aroma was of a weak Belgium Style Ale. The taste was also weak with not much on the aftertaste. It had a bitterness that was pleasant, but, also a sour feel on the palate, that was not of my liking. Nice on a hot day as a quincher!

BeerManDan, Jun 01, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

The Samuel Adams White Ale pours a hazy orange color with sediment dropping falling in to the glass at end of pour (normal) the head is creamy and falls to a respectable froth. Smell is dull and uninviting, hints of hops and grains but nothing really there. The taste is what you would expect after the smell, rather dull with spice flavors with no pizazz in the hops. Feels rather light, drinkable for one but did not want to go back.

beertaster13, May 30, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours to a hazy orange color with a creamy tan head. The aroma is herbal/spicy with coriander & orange peel. I also got a bit of mintiness in the aroma as well. The flavor is full of the spices of coriander & orange peel. It has a solid malt backbone as well. The beer is light in body and refreshing, and finishes a bit dry. Not too bad of a beer.

Sampled 3/3/04

BeerBuilder, May 27, 2004
3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

Hazy, pale yellow-gold in hue with pasty highlights. A lovely white head of more than two fingers in height topped off this Wit idyllically. The head retention was very good; it slowly faded to a foamy cap, which still had decent size throughout consumption. The subsequent lacing was spotty and sticky. It looks good in a glass. The first whiff of the nose told me that SA got the key components of the style; it was orangey with other notes of zippy citrus, coriander with a hint of yeasty-wheat-bread at the finish. The potency is modest but plenty loud enough to understand the invitation. It is a good Wit nose; it just lacks a little panache! The palate is quite juicy; I like the citrus notes upfront. In the middle a big gush of orange follows and wipes out any other flavors for a moment. In the finish I could taste the spices, they are a bit muddled and it is hard to place the individual seasoning (maybe cloves, coriander, nutmeg?). Only in the aftertaste is the malt tasted, wheaty, dull but round and tasty. If the malty taste could start early in the beer SA would have a real winner here. As is, I’d say it is a bit better than Coors’ Blue Moon and even Boulevard’s ZON. It is an Americanized Wit for the masses. The sweetness grows, I can’t see quaffing too many in one setting. Still I like it, as it is tasty and refreshing. The carbonation is on the bigger side, pleasant mouthfeel, medium-light in body; all in all it works for the style. I’ve passed on this many times but when I seen a 12-pack on sale of $8 I caved in. SA White Ale is an average beer really.

bditty187, May 27, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +19.3%

Samuel Adams White Ale pours a murky orange from a brown 12oz glass bottle. Head is fantastic and goes to more than three fingers in a 22oz beer glass and is persistent to the end.

Nose is coriander, lemon and other citrus with a wheat base, quite complex and very pleasant.

Taste is a wonderful unfiltered wheat with coriander, lemon and other citrus... grapefruit?

All in all, I like this offering from Sam Adams... not bad, not bad at all.

BeerBob, May 22, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

A decent stab at the Belgian wit/white style. A darker than normal yellow colour with a nice white head of foam that lasts for the glass. The aromas are all coriander, orange peel, and classic witte spices, as well as a nice yeasty wheat presence. The taste is yeasty up front with a nice spiciness in the middle, and a bit of a "too-sweet-for-me" finish. The mouthfeel is light and that makes this brew very quaffable. Very reminiscent of Hoegaarden, but not quite as good. A good try though.

francisweizen, May 17, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +2%

Samuel Adams White Ale is just an extremely smooth and subtle brew. To me it seems like a perfect beer for the summer, and I'm a little unhappy that the Spring season is almost over. The only thing really lacking here is that this beer only has a faint aroma, and that the beer is so subtle that it lacks a highly noticible taste. Still this is a nice beer that I will be looking foward tonext Spring.

7.7/10

Gagnonsux, May 15, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a hazy light golden amber. Smell hard to smell much light citrus, spice and grain very light in nose department. Taste better light citrus with some spiciness, no yeast taste to speak of though I poured some in? Clean refreshing light tasting brew but nothing here calling me to have another.

mntlover, May 13, 2004

Every once in a while, Sam Adams seems to come out with something lovely. This is one of those times. Pours into the glass the color of honey, with the transparency marred slightly by an odd sort of light cloudiness. Wonderfully tiny bubbles in the head too. Scent is light and heavily citrus.

The taste is light and malty, with one of the most refreshingly clean finishes I've had in recent memory. Perhaps one of the better San Adams seasonals I've tried, I'll look forward to more of this next year.

SetarconeX, May 11, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Is it just me or is this really hard to find? My first taste of Sam Adams White came late one night when my car broke down and I was stranded waiting for a ride in the middle of nowhere Mass. Luckily after hiking a mile or so to a closed down ski resort, I came upon a group of ski instructors celebrating the end of the season, and was offered one of these.
Mmm good beer. Very light and fruity, at first I had to check that what I was given was actually beer. But nevertheless, I am still hunting this beer down to try again...

MattFrenzy, May 09, 2004
3.55/5  rDev +2%

It comes out a cloudy orangish-gold with a white head that perks up when you pour in the yeast sediment. About what I'd expect from a wheat beer.

It smells citrusy and and spicy with wheat, yeast and nearly no hops.

The taste is nice. A stronger citrus presence that the smell would indicate. Yeasty.

It's not as palate covering as I'd have expected this to be, being a wheat beer, but not too bad.

A pretty good warm weather beer, perfect for lounging out in the sun.

psyco1, May 04, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +27.3%

I have to say that, in my admittedly limitted experience, Sam Adam's White is one of my favorite white ales. I get this on-tap in Boston, where it may be fresher than other places.

Appearance: Cloudly yellow. Very hazy, but no visible particulate or sediment. I may just drink these too fast to let it settle.
Smell: Wonderful. Hops, wheat, and a beautiful mix of subtle spices, as well as orange peel.
Taste: Oh so refreshing. It's bright, refreshing, thirst-quenching, and rewarding. They got it right with this one. The added spices, which I can't really put my finger on, really make it good. It's subtle yet critical to it's overall flavor. Again, I detected a trace of orange peel.
Mouthfeel: Moderate carbination. Decent mouthfeel.
Drinkability: One of the most drinkable beers I've ever had, but not one of the best. Bring this one back soon! When it was available, I drank it everyday.

jvajda, Apr 27, 2004
4.9/5  rDev +40.8%

This beer is great! Pours almost white with little head. Very crisp taste with a clean finish. I could drink this beer all day long. This stuff was a special edition so I don't know when, if ever, they'll be brewing it again. You'll be hard pressed to find a better beer for lounging around the pool on a hot Summer's day.

cptnjck101, Apr 27, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

Sam Adams' seasonals continue to be their stronger beers in my opinion. None of them are below average and a couple are really good. This beer is a slightly hazy light orange color with a medium white head. Quick lacing. The aroma is lightly spiced with some citrus as well. Crisp body and very lively and easy to drink. Bittersweet spice flavors of pepper and clove, along with citrus and a pinch of vanilla. The finish is somewhat wheaty. While not on par with some of the better Wits out there, this is a perfectly nice seasonal.

Dogbrick, Apr 26, 2004
3.93/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer pours a hazy golden peach color with a moderate off white head that held for a good amount. The smell is really spicy and yeasty with a grainy malty precense. The taste is really nice and refreshing. Citrus flavors are prevalent along with a breadyness to the base. Spices are particularly strong here and seem complex as well. Pepper, coriander, sweet orange peel, more that I can't recognize. Yeast is very prevalent and almost seems to provide a sweetness among the spices and bready flavors. The Sam Adams hoppiness comes through the further I go and provides a nice little addition to the beer. Still, this is a little unbalanced by being too sweet and it's not a classic example of a Belgian Wit. But it sure is refreshing. Nice offering.

granger10, Apr 20, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -27.3%

Had this beer in tap in Alston, so I'm going to assume this is the way it was meant to be.

Poured to an interesting color. Fairly dark hue, yet cloudy. Not your typical white beer color, this is because this beer is a riff on the white beer it is of course a "white ale" though, whatever that means.

To me the taste just seemed a bit off. Too much bitters for a white beer. The bitterness seemed to clash with the yeast as the kicked in later and had a synergistic effect of making my want to pucker. I love a good beer but this was the first brew to give me what the majors call the "bitter beer face". Its not the intensity of the bitter, just the pairing. After one, I wasn't interested in having another.

No thanks.

EmoBeerGuy, Apr 20, 2004
3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Sam Adams White Ale is another solid offering from the Boston Beer Company. It pours out an orange-brown color with a fairly decent head. Smell is something of faint citrus and mild spice, but nothing overpowering. The taste is good, with definite hints of lemon and spice... typical hoppiness of a Sam Adams beer. Finishes with a notable yeast flavor. Mouthfeel is moderate to light... nothing to write home about, but not bad either. Slightly high on the carbonation, which definitely damages the drinkability some. A very tasty beer that I'd gladly drink again and again.

niknar, Apr 20, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a cloudy golden color with a tall bright white head that dissipates into a foamy lace. Nose is grassy with notes of grains and yeast. Moderate in body with a slightly slick texture. Taste begins with some sweet malts and lemony fruitiness followed by a blend of spices (coriander, clove, nutmeg, and a touch of cinnamon). This is followed by a bit of nutty yeasts and tart citrus notes as well as a bite of white pepper. A decent beer for a hot day but fairly boring overall.

Morris729, Apr 18, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

I like Sam Adams beers so I expect to like this one, especially since reviews of this beer I've read compare it to the Summer Ale, which is a favorite of mine.

Appearance- Dark orange with uber carbonation. Wow, i gotta say....like a hooker in fine lingerie this has quality head as well as impressive lace. The color reminds of what leaves look like in the fall. The head retention in this beer was solid, damn solid.

Smell- Gotta suck mighty deep with the nostrils for this one....faint smell....kinda smells like a pocket full of change thats been soaked in lemons. I can barely smell the spices on this one....barely.

Taste- More carbonated than I expected, but it works well. The spices come through nicely, but aren't that ballsy....which I guess is appropriate for a spring beer? A tart lemon flavor is rather prevalent, it mixes with the hops for a pleasant subtle bitterness. I'm also catching an orange taste here. Overall, a nice taste.

Mouthfeel- Nothing special here. Left kinda of a slick oily feeling in my mouth.

Drinkability- The carbonation and the oily taste in the mouth would keep me from drinking this in mass quantities. That being said, this isn't a beer intended to be a session beer. The modest spicey flavor, coupled with the lemon twang are money, and make this beer a quality brew.

maek228, Apr 17, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +5.7%

Witbier is one of those Belgian styles that I don't see a lot of examples of. So I was naturally curious when I saw Samuel Adam's White Ale show up on the middle shelf. Being familiar with the Boston Beer Company's other offerings, I had fairly high expectations for this new brew. I was not disappointed.

rom the bottle, it pours a cloudy orange with a hint of brown. This is not really the kind of appearance I find appetizing. As a homebrewer, I have learned to consider yeast sediment my enemy. So it always takes me a little while to get used to having prodigious amounts of it in my glass. The head was thicker and laced the glass better than I would have expected from such a light-bodied beer. Granted, you couldn't blow a rose in it, but it was respectable. The smell was decent, but didn't really betray this beer's true character.

The taste, however, was something else. I have found that my tastes change with the seasons. In the dead of winter, I find myself craving the driest of stouts. But as the whether warms, I turn to lighter brews. This turned out to be the perfect match for spring. A moderately spicy beer, with malt on the tangy side, and hops coming in at 3/4 strength near the end, this is a beer you can take to the golf course. Scratch that; this is a beer you must take to the golf course.
You cannot truly appreciate the character of this beer without a gentle breeze and the soft scents of spring.

This beer has a fairly clean finish, which also seems to fit the season. In the right weather, it is quite drinkable. I prefer to sip mine, but it goes down smoothly in any quantity. I haven't sampled it alongside much food, with the exception of some quite un-gourmet trail mix.

Overall, I would recommend it highly to those unfamiliar with the style, as it may open you up to something new. To wit veterans, expect a slightly more American approach to the style, with an emphasis on easy drinking. Quite impressive for a mass-market brew.

Holyterror, Apr 16, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

Had this on-tap at the local BW-3's. It poured a nice orange color with a rather large foamy white head. Smell was mild but there were notes of wheat and spice. Taste was interesting, i believe i actually tasted some pine in this one. Very different but pleasant. I prefer this over hoegaarden anyday.

soper2000, Apr 16, 2004
3.5/5  rDev +0.6%

The beer poured cloudy golden. The head was white and moussy for a little while and fell fairly quickly to the edges of the surface, but laced the glass.

The aroma was mainly citrusy orange and some coriander. Also some slight soapy aromas were present.

The flavor was orange and coriander, but very one dimensional in flavor. The hop bitterness and flavor are overdone and mask the wheat and other flavors that should be present in a wit.

The finish was dry and bitter (hop bitter, not orange peel bitter). The body was medium light.

12 ounce bottle. Best before JUN on label.

GCBrewingCo, Apr 15, 2004
4.13/5  rDev +18.7%

Dirty peach with fluffy large white sticky top. A zesty combo of hops and spices - maybe Grains of paradise, coriander, and something very flowery. Flavor is fluffy and delicate, a bit sugary but finishes dry. Feels light and refreshing but still a good amount of flavor. Very nice, I could drink a few of these and continually enjoy it.

waughbrew, Apr 13, 2004
3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer came to me highly recommended from the liquor store where I usually buy my beer. The person I talked to loves Belgian wheat beers and said that this was one I definitely had to try. I came expecting a bit more than I actually got but this is a good brew. Poured a golden-orangish color with a decent head. The smell was a bit citric and that was indicative of how it would taste. The taste had definite citric notes but nothing to write home about. Its a beer that you can have a few of and get tired of but at the same time, Sam Adams has better beers out there. I like Sam Adams Weiss a bit more. Also, as a side note, I have also had this beer on tap and it seems a bit more flavorful out of tap. The thing about this beer is that it is good but doesn't grab you, the taste is rather subtle.

wsouloa, Apr 12, 2004
Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)