Samuel Adams White Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White AleSamuel Adams White Ale

good

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-30-2003

Was a Spring seasonal, now a Fall/Winter seasonal.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Ale Alström Bros
3.97/5  rDev +14.4%

I had this in Boston on tap at Taps. It was a little on the warm side but since it's a wheat beer this helped me distinguish the flavours. It was definitely a nice wheat beer with good citrus yeast flavour.

Some wheat beers go a bit far with the yeastiness in my opinion. However this did it just right. It had a nice foamy head too. Hmmm I wish I had one right now.

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

This is a decent witbier, although not as good as I had been hoping for. Usually the Sam Adams seasonals are good examples of the style, but this one is unimpressive. It is no better than, say, Blue Moon, or any other mass-produced witbier.

The beer appears an orangey white in my glass. The smell is of mild hops. The taste is, fortunately, the best part of this beer. It tasted to me sweet and fruity. The body is lighter than medium, and this beer seems go down very fast. To get the taste, I feel like I am taking bigger sips of the beer than I normally would. If the flavor of the beer were more rich, than I would be a much better experience.

2.45/5  rDev -29.4%

Appearance: This beer pours a cloudy pumpkin orange with a pillowy white head. Nice head retention, lots of vigorous beading, and very little laceing.

Smell: The aromas are slightly soured. Fruity(apricots?), light hop character and a desent malt bill.

Taste: The flavors consist of soured fruits. No hop profile, no alcohol is noticed and the malts just aren't doing it for me either. Thou, I am getting a vague wheat taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a light to medium amount of carbonation. Smooth finish, but leaves that sourness throughout my mouth.

Drinkability: I dont remember this beer tasting this bad. Perhaps I should review this again to give it another chance.

Cheers2beers

4.13/5  rDev +19%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a glass. Freshness date stated this brew is fresh until the end of April.

A: A very cloudy, yellowish amber orange color. Good amount of head and as well as lacing on the glass.

S: The nose of this beer is mostly a lemony refreshing scent with kind of an apricot twist. Very pleasant, kind of reminds me of a spring like flower.

T: A nice sweet lemon & orange peel flavor hits the palatte up front and then continues through with a good hit of a refreshing mint flavor. Maybe a touch of honey in there as well. Just a enough after taste to leave you wanting more. It is comprised of a variety of citrusy flavors that round things out nicely.

M: The first couple of sips, this brew actually tastes a tad thin. However, the "wheaty" feel really kicks in and it actually turns out to be very refreshing.

D: Not to sound too cheesy here, but every sip of this beer tastes just like spring. Seriously, reminds me of a nice spring afternoon when things are really just starting to bloom, very nice on this cool late winter/early spring evening. This brew goes great with a chicken and rice dish.

3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

A- pours a somewhat hazy straw color with a smal foamy head.

S- slightly sweet wheat, maybe a hint of orange.

T- Wheat really dominates the flavor. A slight peppery citrus hanging out in the background.

M- smooth and somewhat creamy. Light to medium body.

D- OK, but there is much better out there for this style.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

Saw cases of this in my local beer place today, along with the DoubleBock. Sweet. For brewery fresh taste, enjoy by June of 2007.

Poured from bottle into an actual Sam Adams White Ale glass, which is my only weisse-like glass now.

A: Cloudy straw yellow with fluffy white head, a finger's worth. Head has terrific (almost permanent) retention, leaves sticky trails on the side of the glass as it recedes. Very nice.

S: Can smell the raw wheat up front with a citrus kick. Orange zest. Can get some black pepper, though it wouldn't surprise me if I'm actually smelling Grains of Paradise, which they use in the Summer Ale. Or both. But the aroma here is light wheat bread, citrus zest and peppery spice. Faint whiff of apricot in there. This is a bit more perfumy than other wits.

T/M: There's some wheat germ up front with pronounced fruit: orange zest, apricot, lemon. Spiciness as well, but not clove. Black pepper (or, as I wrote above, grains of paradise), coriander. Bitterness is very low. Very crisp beer with a clean, dry finish and a wheaty tail.

D: I generally put wits into one of two categories: the Hoegaarden clones, and the Blue Moon wannabes. There are exceptions, obviously, but that's where most of them lie. Sam White Ale happens to be an exception. It's a bit more fragrant than those two, and it has different aromas than they do. It's recognizable as a wit, but it's spicier. A pretty solid beer.

3.98/5  rDev +14.7%

Picked up a Winter Classics pack and I'm excited to go through it. This is the first one I'm going for.

Pour is very good creating a huge, airy head of off-white foam. Lacing stays after foam goes down which is typical for Sam Adams brews in my limited experience. The beer color is amber and looks tasty. Smells similar to Blue Moon and I'm getting some citrus notes.There's moderate carbonation but it's not overwhelming nor is it too flat in my opinion. Taste is also citrusy and I think I'm detecting some coriander. I like Blue Moon so it's no surprise that I'm enjoying this so far. It's pretty refreshing. I'm almost surprised this was moved from Spring to Winter as it's not too heavy and it's most definitely not dark. This could be enjoyed all year round though without a doubt.

It's more complex than Blue Moon. I'm also getting some floral notes reminiscent of Boston Lager paired with the citrus flavor. Slightly doughy aftertaste. It's balanced well though all around. Overall, I'd recommend you try this if you're a fan of the style and I can't wait to try the other Winter Classics beers. Merry Christmas!

3.42/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer is a generic white ale, nothing bad about it, nothing really that great. I will say that it is better than the Sam Adams Coastal Wheat, which was not good at all. It has a nice wheat presence, and good citrus flavor, a nice color and the drinkability isn't bad, it's just an ok beer. Nothing to really talk about other than that, it's just an average wheat beer.

3.51/5  rDev +1.2%

Really not a bad beer or interpretation of the style. Not one that I'd go out of my way to get, but if its on special or you're faced with the typical boring lineup at the bar, I'd go for this one. Poured a bright unfiltered orange. Slightly fizzy/orvercarbonated perhaps. Smell is a touch spicy. Taste is pretty much what I expected.... slightly yeasty, with some orange and spicing present. Pretty smooth, very drinkable beer. A step above your average American hefe or wit, but not up there at the top. This one weighs in somewhere in Blue Moon territory or a little better.

3.63/5  rDev +4.6%

120z bottle into pilsener glass. Shot yeast into glass. Drink by June 09.

App - Deep, cloudy gold.

Smell - Sweet and fruity. A nice level of yeast mixed with malt.

Taste - Malted wheat; yeast. A slight sweetness that ties it all together. Ends with the faintest bit of hops. Just enough for a witbier.

Mouth - good amount of carbonation.

Drink - Very refreshing

3.47/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Large white head, very cloudy light amber color. Good head retention.

Smell: light coriander, spicy clove phenols, sweet wheat malty, and a light lemon twang.

Taste: strong carbonation, sweet malt, coriander, with a light dry finish.

Notes: It's bland. Think of the flavor of a Hoegaarden, cut it in half, and then add a light to moderate astringency.

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy goldenrod, although not terribly cloudy. Puffy bubbly lace on top is pretty close to pure white. Aroma is orange peel, yeasty, grainy. I guess there are spices there but only because the label says so. This beer doesn't taste like a whole lot - subtle fruit flavors, banana, lemon, not very wheaty, slightly tangy. Eh, this beer isn't bad but is entirely forgettable.

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Served in a Duvel Tulip glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - Much like Blue Moon: a nice, light orange color. Not as ethereally light as Hoegaarden, but very acceptable.

S - Slightly phenolic, but otherwise a good spiced and bitter citrus aroma on the nose, with a bit of grain in the mix.

T - Carries more bitterness and winey acid/tannin than the average Witbier. Not exactly what I'd rate as a great wheat ale, but as a beer in general, it's servicable.

M - The tannins and bitterness dry my mouth out a bit much. Otherwise, nice and smooth.

D - Definitely drinkable, with a very mild alcohol kick, but it is a bit filling.

Overall - As a Witbier, it's slightly off. But as a Spring Seasonal, it does fill that role well. I'll probably pick up a 6-pack of this every spring; it's a fairly nice one to have occasionally.

3.92/5  rDev +13%

Appearance - Pours a bright straw color with a nice head, though there is not much lacing. Slightly hazy.
Smell - Nose is coriander and lemon citrus
Taste - Bready malts well spiced with coriander and finished with light citrus hops.
Mouthfeel - Nice medium body that drinks smooth and ends with a crisp finish.
Drinkability - Very sessionable beer

4.17/5  rDev +20.2%

I picked up a six-pack of this at the Lucky Dog in Athens, OH.

Appearance: copper-gold color with a nice 3/4" head on the pour.

Smell: lemon and some hops

Taste: lemon, slight hoppiness, those really dominate, maybe some wheat flavor

Mouthfeel: light bodied, but nice though

Drinkability: can't get any better, you can drink it all night....a six-pack is great for the night

It's weird, I had a six-pack over the weekend while I was in DC and the beer tasted spicier...more like a winter beer. each beer I had, i also drank out of the bottle. the one im drinking right now which i poured in t a pint glass has more of a summer ale feel and taste....im not sure if it's what you drink out of or the specific batch

3.3/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Got a Sam Adams winter pack for christmas. First in a series.

Very little head turns into absolutely no head rather quickly. Lacing is sporadic and uninspired. Slight haze, dark urine color.

Some wheat and spice on the nose? Very subdued.

This is one sweet beer. Reminiscent of the blackberry wit or whatever it is that they make. Clearly brewed to appeal to the masses. No real complexity to speak of.

Light crisp mouthfeel. It's not going down the drain, but definitely an average beer.

3.76/5  rDev +8.4%

I was happy to see this in the Winter Classics mix pack (even though for me White Ales are summer beers so I was a bit confused). I know they replaced this with the Noble Pils last spring, and while I liked the Pils a lot I am glad to see it back. I know many people who are big fans of this one.

A - Pours a hazy golden white wiht a two finger foamy white head. Pretty decent retention and lacing. I always love seeing a white ale that actually appears white at the spout as you pour it, much like Hoegaarden.

S - Citrus and malt. Lots of wheat as well. Shocking!

T - Lemon zest and orange peel with plenty of coriander. The citrus aspects aren't as "in your face" as Blue Moon, which I like. Sweet and spicy with a nice wheat malt backbone. Well balanced and easy drinking. Finishes a bit boozy however.

M - Well carbonated but very light and crisp. Great beer for hot weahter (again, what's it doing in the winter pack?)

D - I have sessioned this one many times during warmer months. Very drinkable and refreshing.

Overall, this really is a decent white ale. I would gladly buy it in a 12 pack if it ever resurfaces in the spring. Hoegaarden and St. Bernardus White remain my all time favorite white ales, but this is definitely one to check out.

Samuel Adams White Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)