Samuel Adams Pale Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Pale AleSamuel Adams Pale Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.25% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Pale Ale Alström Bros
UncleJon206

1.5/5  rDev -56.9%

01-30-2012 02:36:49 | More by jfcaa193
Gaben

1.75/5  rDev -49.7%

Had bought this stuff thinking it was going to be a bic hit. Turns out being the other kinda hit... you know the one to the gut!

Alright good olde sammy adams usualy dont let me down but I'll tell a tale of a differnt side this time.

Sam's Pale Ale, Im going straight to the smell and taste.. Was so similar to soap if you ask me.. Thats the first thing I thought of when I smelled if , so of corse it affected the taste aswell. Almost like you said a bad word as a kid and you got your mouth washed out with soap.

So it didnt feel that nice drinkin anymore then one of these , If I was sammy adam's Id sell this stuff 25 cents a beer. Stay away!

02-23-2007 01:58:43 | More by Gaben
BeefyMee

1.98/5  rDev -43.1%

I was never a fan of Sam Adams Pale Ale. Not by a longshot. It looks good and all with nice color and a somewhat lacey head, but it falls short in the taste department. It's not very flavorful to begin with and what little flavor is present is quite disagreeable to my palate. It's just bready with an offensive skunkiness. Not sure why they still make this. This will probably be the last chance I give this beer.

09-28-2010 21:36:57 | More by BeefyMee

DrJoe82

01-31-2013 00:20:26 | More by DrJoe82
xare

2.05/5  rDev -41.1%

Nice light caramel color with a soapy bit of head (not very much head) - it does the job as far as looks go.

Aroma is of hops and bitterness and something that smells a bit sour but not too much. Decent blend of aromas but something seems a bit off kilter.

Taste is oddly, reminiscent of coffee and has a bit of a bitter touch from the hops but doesn't taste very well done as far as the style goes. Has something musky with the flavor as well at the end. It's quite hard to describe since I can't identify it as much as I can say that it's "musky".

Mouthfeel is decent but not average. It's wet, has the hoppy finish that should be there for a pale ale but then there's a bitterness that lingers long past the swallow. Then some dryness comes and odd sensations/muskiness comes and hits.

I wanted to try this brew as I love most of the offerings from Sam Adams but I'll probably have to take a pass on this one and it definitely isn't one of my favorites from Sam Adams. Wish it was though as pale ales are my favorite and Sam is one of my favorite breweries.

Overall, I wouldn't really finish this beer but I'd give it a try again sometime if it comes in a mixed pack but I won't search this out again just for itself.

08-09-2008 19:21:22 | More by xare
xraided81

2.1/5  rDev -39.7%

a- light gold, pale color, with a 1/4 inch white foamy head. low carbonation, brilliant clarity
s= moderate earthy hop aroma, adjuncts are present in aroma, corn rice, get the smell i would get in american lager
t: very little hop bitterness, present, very little malt character present, i am just tasting the alcohol
M; very thin body, reminds me of drinking american lager, carbonation is low feels flat.
drinkability- is low, i would not buy a six pack of this, and would be hesistant to purchase a variety pack of this was included, the body is too thin. when i think of an english pale ale, i think of a floral bouquet of hops in the aroma, not here, and would expect a malty back bone.

05-27-2010 06:58:52 | More by xraided81
MoreThanWine

2.15/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a hazy tan with a 3/4 inch head. Medium bodied and creamy but really not much flavor to comment on. In fact I'd say this is just a tiny step up from standard mass produced beers like the Bud Lights of the world (or the Sam Adams Lights for that matter, in fact I'd choose this over a SA Light). Granted it is a Pale Ale so it naturally would be more subtle than a lot of other beers.

09-07-2010 08:43:12 | More by MoreThanWine

03-15-2013 01:05:26 | More by EricClayton
Brad007

Vermont

2.25/5  rDev -35.3%

This Pale Ale pours a pale color. Aroma is somewhat fruity with few hints hops and a malt backbone present. Taste is about the same as the aroma. Too much of a malt presence though a pale ale should never be too hoppy, this one lacks anything remotely hoppy. It's not bad I suppose but I have had much better examples of this style.

05-06-2007 01:05:23 | More by Brad007
Revenant

12-20-2012 03:59:05 | More by Revenant
JoeAmerican77

Colorado

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

Pours out an orange and sporting white head...

Smells of booze and slight hops

Tastes of malts, water hops and has a distinct something which I get in a lot of SA beers. Maybe a copper on malts sort of thing, interesting for the first few sips, but I am finding it hard to hold any sort of flavor past that

A very water and carbonation mouthfeel, thats pretty solid and doesn't surprise at any point.

It is a slightly sub par beer, but I am not entirely sure why it is even labeled a pale ale as it was more malt forward than anything. I would not recommend it to any beer drinker besides someone new to the sport

03-25-2011 04:04:31 | More by JoeAmerican77
ohoove

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

Unfortunately there's not much that impressed me about this beer aside from it's average appearance. In all honesty I tried one of these following a pale ale from one of the CO breweries. This beer just had no distinctive qualities . Light on every aspect. Being from New England I try to support our locals but Sam Adams continually seems to disappoint me. Sorry.

08-15-2007 16:48:26 | More by ohoove
JDV

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

One of 6 different SA beers in a sampler pack. This was definitely my least favorite. Honey golden color with a medium sized white head. Smell was a light honeyish malt smell, with very weak hops aroma coming through. Taste is quite bland overall, with mild bitterness, very light sweetness and simply not quite enough flavor. Not awful, but I wouldn't get this again. I'm starting to get the difference between EPAs and APAs, and I much prefer the American style pales.

02-13-2008 22:58:45 | More by JDV
HardTarget

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

First review: 6/22/04 (4,4,2.5,3,3)
Standard brown 12 oz. bottle with a purchase before date notched Dec, 2003 (sampled June, 2004)
Aroma: Lightly roasted malt topped with a nice spicy hop nose. Inviting
Appearance: Nice white head of creamy bubbles on an amber (hint of orange) body. Nice thick lacing down the glass with good head retention.
Flavor: I’ll be generous with the score given the out of date bottle, but it has an off taste going. It has a flat, stale raisin taste with a hint of oxidation/cardboard. It’s quite a let down from the appealing aroma. Given all of that the balance is pretty good, but there is a grassy hop taste that is rubbing me wrong as well.
Mouthfeel: Medium body with a slight chew, a bit oily in the finish. A mild numbing of gums
Overall Impression: I’ll revisit at some time, but no time soon. I grabbed this bottle from Whip-In, notorious for out of date sales. I don’t see this beer in these parts often, so I grabbed one for a karma point. Drinkability? Eh, I’m starting to get over some of the off tastes, but I’ll not crave another. I’ve earned worse karma points.

Rereviewed 2/11/05
Standard 12 oz brown bottle with best before FEB notched, time for a fresh bottle.
Aroma: Skunky? Under that is a good dose of hops.
Appearance: Clear dirty blonde glass with a nice cover of small off white bubbles that laced.
Flavor: Dusty flavored malt with solid hops all over it. Hops are more bitter than citric or floral; harsh. Biscuit malt flavors come out a bit as it warms as well as an odd banana/butterscotch like flavor.
Mouthfeel: Carbonation level is a bit high but not too bad. Body is fairly light and faintly oily.
Overall Impression: Just not floating my boat. Given all the good pale ales out there, I’d have to say give this one a pass. I’m on the edge of a drain pour with the rest of my glass. Guess I was in the mood for an AMERICAN pale ale, not an English one.

06-22-2004 23:40:16 | More by HardTarget
jasonpeckins32

2.35/5  rDev -32.5%

It pours a golden color with a slight coppperesque tint. Decent gray-cream head.

The nose is hoppy and citrusy. Heavily citrusy when first poured but fades as considerably as it sits.

Big and hoppy up front, yet a very simple quiet finish. Citrus and bitter hops at the start quickly fade into a funky, wierd aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is kind of rocky. Something about the taste presentation just doesnt flow right in this one. Not a bad beer, but there are lots better pale ales out there. Maybe a beginners pale alI. I like most of sam adams offerings better than this one.

06-16-2007 20:35:13 | More by jasonpeckins32
Samuel Adams Pale Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)