Samuel Adams Pale Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Pale AleSamuel Adams Pale Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Pale Ale |  5.25% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Pale Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 501-525 | 526-550 | 551-575  | next → last
3.48/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours with a watery caramel color and slight head which dissipates quickly.
I experienced an interesting smell of sweet candy cherry.
Smooth mouth feel, the taste is light upon first sip followed by a mellow sweet tart mixture with a very carbonated finish.
This beer is decent for drinking, and the Summer 24 packs can be nice if you're having a group of people over due to the mixture of several different beers. All in all a nice beer for a summer barbeque due to it not being overpowering, and being quite smooth.

3.52/5  rDev +1.1%

The bottle says this is from the Brewmaster's Collection. WTF? All the other SA beers aren't good enough for the Brewmaster? Is Boston Lager too common for him?

Anyway, A=Unspectacular. A golden liquid with somewhat pronounced effervescence accumulated at its surface.

S=Smells nice! But not much like a pale ale.

T=Tastes nice! But even less like a pale ale. SA makes several seasonal brews that are much more hop-flavored than this, yet don't go by the name of "pale ale." I detect more malt than hop.

M=Nice 'n' bubbly. Doesn't immediately get gross or flat if you let it linger on the palate for an extra second.

D=I'm mixed about this one. It succeeds admirably as a beer, but I have to judge its merits as a pale ale, and in that respect it doesn't do well.

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%

A: This beer pours a beautiful and complex golden amber with swirls of fizzy gorgeous carbonation. A good inch of thick creamy head sits atop the glass, and as it slowly melts down leaves a very rich lacing, almost making the glass fully opaque.

S: A light & sweet malty hop aroma floats from the glass, nothing too overpowering. Subtle enough to be noticed on the first few gulps.

T: A two-tone rush of hops hits the tongue: first a muted caramel / copper tang blankets the tongue, followed secondly by a beautifully clear hop flavor. While the taste of hops are apparent, theyre a little on the weak side. This is an Am. Pale Ale though, not an IPA... so I cant judge too harshly. Great for what it is.

M: Simple and refreshing. A nice flush of flavor that lingers for a few seconds.

D: I would rate this as average... Nothing about this beer stands out to me as a solid choice every time I want a Pale Ale. Its good for every once in awhile, like most beers. The flavor is good, but not fantastic. Just Average.

3.39/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours out a light, clear dirty-gold with barely any head. Smells hoppy but otherwise like any standard beer in that nothing sticks out in my nose. Tastes hoppy, fruity, and bitter and leaves a light bitter aftertaste. Creamy mouthfeel and a balanced carbonation. A solid beer, nothing exemplary but I'd have another.

3.77/5  rDev +8.3%

One more beer from the cooler. It was left over from a canoe trip when some guys left early. Their loss...
Purchased as part of a summer beer sampler.
Now I'll admit that I don't like pale ales as much as other beer styles, but I was still looking forward to tasting this beer.

Appearance is average. A small head that lingers.
Smell is above average. The hops are very distinguishable.
Taste is good. Although hops are dominant, they are not overpowering.
Mouthfeel is good. Nice and foamy. I've yet to taste a Sam Adams that doesn't have an above average mouthfeel.
Despite my reservations about the beer style, this is a very drinkable summer beer. I could easily see myself drinking a few on a hot summer day.

4.58/5  rDev +31.6%

Paul's one-line review (per area):

A-Straw w/slight berry, bright white lasting head
S-Hops, cascade
T-Cascade hops start, cake, with malty finish
M-Thin, then acidic, then fizzy, thick finish
D-Good IPA, in the Sam Adam's fashion. Pleasing

Beautiful color. Great taste. One of the better IPAs I've had in awhile. Well done, Sam Adams!

4.33/5  rDev +24.4%

One of the most stand-out Pale Ale's I've had in a while that I can really remember. Started out with an average white head that was mostly diminishing. A nice clear body with a golden orange hue. Carbonation was normal. This aroma stood out by the dominance of the yeast over the hops, unusually for Pale Ales. I got hints of dough and banana. The palate was incredible, a nice medium to full body that was creamy in texture, soft carbonation, and a finish that screamed bread (my favorite). The flavor is a little subdued with light bitterness but long finish, I think this adds to the drinkability.

4.01/5  rDev +15.2%

Very good British-style pale ale. More malt character than a lot of American style pales, not as ridiculously hopped, but still a good, biting, refreshing ale.

Poured from the bottle, starting soft, then hard, into a Yazoo Pale Ale glass.

A - Pours pale gold, clear with tiny bubbles. Thin white head from a (mostly) hard pour has excellent retention, sticking around for a long, long time. I'm halfway done with this one and it's still got almost as much (not a lot) head as it did right after the pour. Nice.

S - Not a whole lot going on in the nose; just a bit of hops and a bit of clean. Then again, I'm just getting over a sinus infection. But, as I say, not a lot to smell but what there is smells good and crisp.

T&M - Crisp on the tongue without being thin, perhaps a bit sticky on the finish. Malt is present, bringing some sweetness; hops are definitely there without being overpowering. Good hoppiness on the finish, leaving your mouth perhaps not with a bite so much as with a nip. It feels good and it tastes good.

D - High. I could smack these back in a continuous line for quite some time.

Notes: I'm drinking this one with the dregs of a delicious tilapia curry my girlfriend made today and some store-bought naan. This ale is strong enough to stand up to the spices without being strong enough to knock them down. It's definitely a pairing I will be making again.

3.97/5  rDev +14.1%

I sampled this beer from the Sam Adams summer mix pack. The beer pours a pale yellow with a mild hoppy smell. The taste is sweet at first with a mild aftertaste of hops. I found the beer to be highly drinkable. This beer is very solid English pale ale. I would defiantly buy this again. This would make a decent session beer.

2.83/5  rDev -18.7%

11.23.2011. Samuel Adams Pale Ale.

Appearance: Golden apple-juice. Head is abundant. Sudsy looking like the top of a root beer float. Nothing special. Head dissipates and leaves nice lacing as the glass is emptied. Grade: 3.5

Smell: Very little. Nothing offensive at least. Grade: 3

Taste: A lighter, hoppier version of the Boston Lager. As such it has that same slightly repugnant I-know-not-what that makes the Boston Lager undesirable. But there is less of it here. So that’s a good thing. Maybe it’s just the golden apple juice color, but I’m tasting apples. Bad aftertaste. Grade: 2.5

Mouth: Crisp. Light-medium. I think I’d prefer it to be a little lighter given the flavor profile. Grade: 3

Overall: I’m not a huge pale ale fan. I tend to like bigger beers. If I am going to drink something with an ABV this low, I prefer it to be non-offensive. This one is (slightly) offensive to my palate. I won’t be seeking this out, but fans of the style might be able to appreciate it more. It’s definitely better than Bass, which is similar; but I don’t care for the latter at all.

Served: 12 oz. Bottle poured into a hurricane.

2.78/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving: 12 oz long neck best before May 2007

Appearance: golden mustard, minimum light sticky white lace

Smell: minimum hops

Taste: very little aftertaste, sharp flavor makes me twinge, lingers for several seconds and then fades fast,

Mouthfeel: soft and smooth on the palate, but taste overwhelms the other senses

Drinkability: my least favorite Sam Adams so far

3.88/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a slightly copper color with a nice 2 finger head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma is slightly sweet with a hint of pine. The taste is a nice smooth experience with some caramel notes and not a lot of hoppiness. It is not mind-blowing, but a good overall session beer for a summer night.

3.67/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours clear straw color, orangy against light. Pours with a small white head.

Scent is mostly malt - a little weak - with a hint of peach on the nose.

Taste is a good mix of malt and moderate hoppy bitterness. Not too heavy, nice carbonated fresh mouthfeel.

3.43/5  rDev -1.4%

A-Clear golden body, with a finger of head that stayed around until the beer was gone.

S-Aroma not pronounced, citrusy.

T-Enjoyable, but not much like a pale ale. Just the slightest hint of bitterness from hops.

M-Thin, light body with very active carbonation.

D-A mediocre brew from Sam Adams, but I guess not every beer can be their best.

2.8/5  rDev -19.5%

At this point, I would never intentionally buy any Sam Adams beers. But a co-worker owed me a six pack for a favor I did him and I requested Sierra Nevada because I know the places around where we work don't have much selection and they didn't even have that so he figured another Pale Ale from Sam Adams would be a good substitute.

Well, it is beer and it was free so I can't complain. I give this beer a score of "average" across the boards except for drinkablility which I would rank below average. There is something about the taste that just didn't sit well for a drinking beer. I had trouble even drinking two of these in one sitting because the more of it I drank the less enjoyable it was going down.

It definately has a hoppy aroma and flavor but in comparison to Sierra Nevada it's not nearly as hoppy and the flavor doesn't compare.

I would never go out of my way to get this beer but in certain situations where maybe you're in a bar or liqour store in some depraved part of the world where this is the only alternative to Bud, Miller and Coors then it would be an ok option.

3.02/5  rDev -13.2%

When taking into account the review that I've given this beer ... please remember, I'm a beginner. This beer was my first taste of alchohol for five years. When reading this review and looking at the numbers ... remember, again, this is coming from a beginner ... this is a review from a beginner's view.

Sam Adams Pale Ale is a decent beer, however, it's definately not a beginner's beer. This beer is made more for those who enjoy different types of beer; are into the "Old English" methods of brewing, and enjoy those tastes.

Appearance-wise, this beer looked great. The appearance of the bottle and of the actual beer itself was good, and I was impressed. That's one reason I got this beer ... it looked good, I didn't want to try a dark beer at first, and it's not a lite beer.

The smell was great! From the second I popped the cap, the smell came out and made me want to try it that much faster. It smells like a great classic beer, and if you want a beer with a great auroma, this is a good beer.

The taste, at first, was good, but then became a big dissapointment. This beer tastes good, however has a horrid aftertaste that takes awhile to get out of your mouth. The beer is sweet to the taste, but again, that aftertaste is bad, and even if you sip on something else, it really won't go away.

The way the beer felt in my mouth was also horrible. It was very fizzy ... a lot of carbonation, it almost felt as though I was drinking carbonated water with taste. I tried a couple of mouthfuls, it didn't work, and I could pretty much just handle a few sips at a time. Anything more than that and my mouth felt horrible ... but just taking a few sips means that it takes forever to finish just 12 ounces.

Overall, I didn't like this beer, although given the characteristics, I can see why some people do. But if this is your first beer, or first American (somewhat) Pale Ale ... expect it to be difference.

2.75/5  rDev -21%

Let me start by saying im not a huge fan of ales

the appearance is very light, almost looks like a Budweiser

the smell has a hint of citrus, followed by a hop smell unlike most other hops.

the taste is rather enjoyable, again with the hint of citrus, making me think some people may accompany this brew with a lemon or orange slice as ive seen popular with many other brews of this nature here in KC. It leaves somewhat of a dry aftertaste perhaps to encourage you to take another sip?

drinkability is mid to low, but then again im not a fan of ales

on a side note i am enjoying this brew very much for an ale

3.13/5  rDev -10.1%

A- Nice golden color with good head retention and lacing
S- Fruity, slight apricot.
T- bitterness throughout, a little buttery
M- a little thin I thought, with good amounts of carbonation
D- I would have another if you gave it to me.

Not a leader in regards to the style but a decent, enjoyable brew. This came as part of a sampler pack but I probably would only buy this in a six pack if my options were limited. Not bad, but not great either.

3.72/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from bottle into my trusty mug

A - its a fairly clear yellow. i expected it to be a bit darker.

S - it smells pretty good. quite hoppy with a bit of floral hints

T - really smooth and light for a pale ale (compared to sierra nevada). its hoppy but not too bitter

M - light. its sort of like the color. it doesnt look very heavy and it doesnt hold very heavy either. its quite crisp.

D - i could easily drink a 12 pack or a ton of these.

Overall - its a pretty mild pale ale in my opinion. it could use better to be a bit stronger on the initial taste and smell. it has a macro brew feel to it. i enjoy it because its really easy to drink with a smooth taste. i would like it if it were a bit stronger but then again thats why i like IPAs so much. i would buy this again.

3.48/5  rDev 0%

Appearance- golden amber with a thin head, effervescent

Smell- crisp and clean with a slight citrus note

Taste- subtle floral with a sweet aftertaste

Mouthfeel- medium light

Drinkability- pretty good, could have a few more of these if they were available! Not too flowery for me, nice light n clean flavor, enjoyable on a warm late summer night

firstprev| 501-525 | 526-550 | 551-575  | next → last
Samuel Adams Pale Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)