Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill LagerSamuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-18-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager Alström Bros

rdoggg, Jun 03, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -46.2%

Sludgeman, Jun 03, 2013

BeWoPl96, Jun 02, 2013

tbonci, Jun 02, 2013

Bill235, Jun 01, 2013

Ljoreilly, Jun 01, 2013
3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

Pours a cloudy golden, with a nice white head and lovely, ornate lace.

Aroma is, unsurprisingly, heavy on the blueberry. Refreshing, light, and enticing.

Taste is nicely blueberry, but it's a pleasant natural flavor, rather than a weird or artificial one. Indeed, this one's summery, light, and very enjoyable. Sure, it's not super complex or heavy-duty, and seasoned hop-heads and beer nerds will turn up their noses here, but I like this Blueberry Hill Lager just fine, thanks.

secondtooth, Jun 01, 2013

csadkins54, May 30, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -5.2%

Got this out of the Summer pack from Costco, figure I'd try this one out. Served in a tulip.

A: Pours a clear orange, amber color with a half inch off white head that dissipates fast with good retention and ample amounts of lacing.

S: Smells of wheat, grains, blueberries, yeast, barley, malts

T: Meh, tastes alright, a bit sweet, hints of yeast, a bit of blueberry, wheat, grains

M: Kind of over carbonated, medium bodied, yeah, too much carbonation, not enough balance and flavor.

O: Meh, this was alright, not really a fruity beer kind of guy. This was not horrible, it was alright, it just was not exciting or enticing to me. I'll have no problem finishing the pack but I probably won't seek them out again.

Mavigo, May 30, 2013

kaelingirl, May 30, 2013

Johnnyv310, May 30, 2013
3.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

LOOK: Golden colored brew with a chill haze. Solid frothy foam forms and leaves a good amount of lace.

SMELL: Blueberry, crusty bread, lager yeast.

TASTE: Lager like with bread and faint toffee, fades to blueberry cereal. There is a balancing citrusy, herbal bitterness. Wheat perhaps was used. Firmly malty. Finishes with a note of blueberry skin.

FEEL: Medium bodied, smooth, creamy and well carbonated.

OVERALL: For a lager, it's full enough. For a fruit beer, it's fruity and fresh enough. Wasn't amazing but I quite liked the bitterness from the Tettnang hop variety used here. Helped the flavor a bit.

Stinkypuss, May 30, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -15.4%

MaltyMates, May 30, 2013
3.25/5  rDev 0%

Robdrinx, May 29, 2013
2.96/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Samuel Adams mixed 12 pack shared six ways.

The beer appears a cloudy orange hue with a half inch of white head. The aroma brings blueberry sweets, sugar, malt, alcohol. Sweetened artificial blueberries dominate the aroma and flavor. One dimensional and unrefined. This tastes like a large batch operation, lacking the beauty that real fruit can bring to a beer. Sweet throughout. my body is threatening me with a headache if i continue. This is perhaps not as bad as I may have made it out to be, but certainly not my cup of tea. If you prefer sweeter offerings, this may be worth a try. A few ounces was plenty for me, however.

Huhzubendah, May 29, 2013

Hardcore, May 29, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager in their summer variety pack last week for $13.29 at Meijers. I thought I would give this years summer variety pack a try and this was the first one that I randomly picked out, so lets see how it goes. It was notched best by September. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and typical for most Samuel Adams beers. It poured a lightly hazy golden color that took on some nice amber hues when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of clumpy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with loads of berry aromas coming through with blueberry sticking out the most but there's also some other mixed berry like aromas in the background. The blueberry has a pretty natural like aroma. Towards the end I get some grainy, bready and cracker like malts with a slight bit of yeast towards the end. This beer had a nice aroma, the blueberry was showcased nicely and there were some decent lager aromas in the background.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some nice berry flavors, blueberry sticks out the most but there are still some nice generic berry flavors in the background. It tastes natural and not overly sweet or artificial. Up next I get some nice lager flavors that stick out just enough and impart some grainy, biscuit, and cracker like malt flavors with a slight bit of yeast. On the finish there's pretty much not bitterness at all with some more blueberry that carry over to the aftertaste along with some cracker malts. This is a nice tasting beer, the blueberry isn't overpowering or artificial and I can still pick up some of that lager base.

M- Very smooth, crisp, clean, refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a good example of Blueberry Lager, I'm not the biggest fan of blueberry beers and I think they go best with stouts, but this one was different and I enjoyed it much more than i expected, so far it's the best non stout blueberry I have had so far. This beer had good drinkability, it was very smooth, clean, refreshing, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these on a warm summer day, but the blueberry might wear on me after that. What I liked the most about this beer was how nicely the blueberry was showcased, there wasn't any point were the blueberrys felt artificial. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, it was great for what they were going for and I can't think of anything that was wrong with it or that I wish was changed, it was nice just the way it is. I might buy this beer again if they sold it on it's own, i wouldn't turn down one of these on a warm summer day and I think it would be a nice beer to keep on hand for people that aren't too experienced with craft beer, I would recommend it to anyone who likes fruit or blueberry beers, even the regular lager drinker might enjoy this. All in all I was happy with this beer, I started to expect the worst since I haven't had the best track record with Blueberry beers, but this one was surprisingly nice and it may change how I feel about the style. Good job Sam Adams, you guys nailed what your were going for and I have no doubt that this will make a great gateway beer into the craft beer scene for a lot of people, nice work.

StoutHunter, May 29, 2013

gritz147, May 27, 2013

Ralphs66, May 27, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Zachtheporter, May 27, 2013
Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)