Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill LagerSamuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 08-18-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager Alström Bros
2.96/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Samuel Adams mixed 12 pack shared six ways.

The beer appears a cloudy orange hue with a half inch of white head. The aroma brings blueberry sweets, sugar, malt, alcohol. Sweetened artificial blueberries dominate the aroma and flavor. One dimensional and unrefined. This tastes like a large batch operation, lacking the beauty that real fruit can bring to a beer. Sweet throughout. my body is threatening me with a headache if i continue. This is perhaps not as bad as I may have made it out to be, but certainly not my cup of tea. If you prefer sweeter offerings, this may be worth a try. A few ounces was plenty for me, however.

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager in their summer variety pack last week for $13.29 at Meijers. I thought I would give this years summer variety pack a try and this was the first one that I randomly picked out, so lets see how it goes. It was notched best by September. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty plain and typical for most Samuel Adams beers. It poured a lightly hazy golden color that took on some nice amber hues when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of clumpy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with loads of berry aromas coming through with blueberry sticking out the most but there's also some other mixed berry like aromas in the background. The blueberry has a pretty natural like aroma. Towards the end I get some grainy, bready and cracker like malts with a slight bit of yeast towards the end. This beer had a nice aroma, the blueberry was showcased nicely and there were some decent lager aromas in the background.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some nice berry flavors, blueberry sticks out the most but there are still some nice generic berry flavors in the background. It tastes natural and not overly sweet or artificial. Up next I get some nice lager flavors that stick out just enough and impart some grainy, biscuit, and cracker like malt flavors with a slight bit of yeast. On the finish there's pretty much not bitterness at all with some more blueberry that carry over to the aftertaste along with some cracker malts. This is a nice tasting beer, the blueberry isn't overpowering or artificial and I can still pick up some of that lager base.

M- Very smooth, crisp, clean, refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a good example of Blueberry Lager, I'm not the biggest fan of blueberry beers and I think they go best with stouts, but this one was different and I enjoyed it much more than i expected, so far it's the best non stout blueberry I have had so far. This beer had good drinkability, it was very smooth, clean, refreshing, and the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these on a warm summer day, but the blueberry might wear on me after that. What I liked the most about this beer was how nicely the blueberry was showcased, there wasn't any point were the blueberrys felt artificial. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, it was great for what they were going for and I can't think of anything that was wrong with it or that I wish was changed, it was nice just the way it is. I might buy this beer again if they sold it on it's own, i wouldn't turn down one of these on a warm summer day and I think it would be a nice beer to keep on hand for people that aren't too experienced with craft beer, I would recommend it to anyone who likes fruit or blueberry beers, even the regular lager drinker might enjoy this. All in all I was happy with this beer, I started to expect the worst since I haven't had the best track record with Blueberry beers, but this one was surprisingly nice and it may change how I feel about the style. Good job Sam Adams, you guys nailed what your were going for and I have no doubt that this will make a great gateway beer into the craft beer scene for a lot of people, nice work.

2.25/5  rDev -30.6%

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

2.2/5  rDev -32.1%

Poured from a 12-oz standard-pressure cap bottle into a Kronenbourg glass. Reviewed live.

A- Half-finger white head with long retention on a cloudy orange body with heavy carbonation.

S- Blueberry, golden malts and not much else. Fruit beers suffer from this sometimes. Fruit and nothing else.

T- Tart blueberry, rich (surprisingly so) malts.

M- Smooth and creamy. Wet finish.

O- Honestly, this beer is making me a little sick. It really isn't so terrible, but man all together it does not do itself any favors.

2.86/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Had this out of the Sam summer seasonal pack, poured out of the bottle into a pint glass. The color is pretty nice, an orange-copper with a big head. The taste is...blueberry. It's sweet with just a touch of tart, most of of the flavor comes through with the finish. Again...not a big blueberry beer guy, but there are worse ones out there.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best before 9/2013.

Pours a murky orange with a foamy off-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small swaths of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt and blueberry jelly aromas. Taste is much the same with blueberry muffin flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is suite drinkable with a solid blueberry presence in the aroma and flavor.

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

Samuel Adams Blueberry Hill Lager from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)