Samuel Adams Scotch Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Scotch AleSamuel Adams Scotch Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Scotch Ale Alström Bros

Jstark5150, Nov 14, 2011

TEAMHOLT, Nov 14, 2011

Got this out of a sampler pack. I wrestled over trying this, or just enjoying the Black Lager.

Where has this beer been all my life?? WOW!! Pours a reddish copper color with not too much carbonation, but an ample amount of head. The smells is mostly of sweet caramel malts. Taste: WHOA! Talk about smooth, sweet, and balanced!! There' s just so much right about this beer! I have always been a huge fan of Boston Lager and pretty much everything (I don't think anyone really likes the Cranberry Lambic) they put out, but this one takes the cake! I have a new favorite from Sam Adams, and possible a new favorite beer! Drinkability is excellent!! You can sip and savor, or throw it back fast. It's just so delicious and easy to drink!

I hope to find it in cases or six packs, but some of the posts here lead me to believe that might not be possible!

Deus1138, Sep 15, 2008

Rochefort10nh, Dec 02, 2011

Carnahan, Nov 15, 2011

swooshjtb, Dec 04, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +32.5%

Dark amber color (Bronze-ish) with a low brown head and light bits of lace. Strong malt aroma and light smoky aroma. Big carmelized malt flavor with a nice smoky aspect. Full bodied , rich and creamy ! Ages very well ! This bottle was over 3 years old !

Probabaly the best Sam Adams beer made - shame it is essentially gone...

Label States: "Triple Malt" & "Brewed with Peat Smoked Malt"

Purchase Before: June '00
Tasted: 04/08/03

RBorsato, Apr 25, 2003
4.93/5  rDev +31.5%

Cool tartan "kilt" pattern bottle with our friend Sam Adams hoisting a pint. I can hear the bagpipes callin' me home.... I couldn't pass up a mixed 12 pack of Samuel's finest at the grocery store, and it (a "brewer's choice" mixer) contained two of these scotch ales.

Pours dark rootbeer brown (actually very deep purple when held to the light). Three finger thick creamy head that has about the thickest lacing I've ever seen stuck to the side of the pint glass. Although it shrinks considerably, the head stays around 1/2 finger for the duration...excellent.

The smell wafting off this one is AWESOME. Big powerful malty chocolate milk shake scent is making me hungry. Caramel and diacetyl hints. Maybe some dark plum notes somewhere in there too. Damn that smells GOOD!

Wow. Smokey charred malt hits the palate first. Then come chocolate, earthy flavors, and whiskey (peat?). Dark raisin, rum, caramel, and ripe plum flavors come forward before a tangy wash of bitter hops (along with a hint of alcohol) finish it off. There is a slightly meaty or salty roasted aftertaste that is an excellent contrast to the initial charred smoke and earth notes.

This has alot of characteristics in common with big ass porters and stouts, but is somehow more drinkable, maybe due to the lighter body and slightly less powerful flavors. I've got so say that this is one of my favorite beers so far. Deep, robust, complex, well balanced....what's not to like? I can wait to drink the other one! (this wonderful brew alone makes buying the whole mixed 12-er worth every penny).

pmcadamis, Aug 31, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +30.7%

One of the best scotch ales ever. Sorely missed.

John, Oct 15, 2001
4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

Holy shit. The best SA brewmaster's beer I've ever had. I am sad I have to buy a whole mix pack just to get two of them. But oh well. This beer has a great head an retention. The smell leaped up to me as I poured. The taste is a balance of caramel and chocolate malts, sort of a licoriciness. It clings incredibly well and was the easiest to drink scotch ale I've had to date. The best SA beer that I've ever had.

jasonjlewis, Jan 02, 2007

Lincolnman, Nov 11, 2012

pasurfer114, Aug 20, 2012

SlaughteredWolf, Aug 07, 2012

ardy007, Mar 18, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +25.9%

This is a great beer pours amberish brown but see through. held a good head the whole time I drank it not just on the pour. the smell was very clean lightly roasted malt. taste is good smooth and balanced malt. and the mouth feel was really pleasant a good balance of carbonation. I could drink several of these beers in one sitting it didn't seem really heavy so it will not fill you up too much. Over all great beer, and a great style of beer.

mclanem, Mar 04, 2006
4.69/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

We have a winner! Another great job by the craft brewing pioneers!

Very interesting beer compaired to the Samuel Adams line up! Comes at you strong and follows with a bold rich afterbite.

Roasted malt, whisky barreled, coffee peat, slight caramel red.

FlatRabbitRed, Jan 26, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +24.8%

Appearance: Beautiful dark orange amber that changes shades depending on light with foam and lacing everywhere.

Smell: Smells pretty malty, not hoppy. Extremely smoky, unlike any beer I've seen although I'm sure others exist. Almost smells like...dirt? I guess that's the peat they use. This stuff is very sophisticated salt-of-the-earth beer!

Taste: Wow! Smoky, sweet, creamy, malty...all in perfect proportion for me. Very little carbonation. It definitely tastes like whiskey as well, including the oak. Paradoxically, Scotch Ale is very thick but also a tad bit watery. I could say instead that it's "watery whiskey" which makes it sound better I guess. Despite this, it warms you almost immediately. Flavors also change as the beer warms. Thumbs up!

Drinkability: Would not want a keg of this. That said, it's very relaxing to drink.

Overall: In my opinion, this is Sam Adam's at its best. Whiskey lovers will like this one. Anyone will appreciate it.

tjsdomer2, Apr 10, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours a clear dark brown. Same color as the bottle.

Very malty, sugary aroma.

Taste/mouthfeel is also very malty; full of body. The smokiness of the peat malt is sublte, but not masked. Not as in your face as other Scotch Ales I've tried.

My only complaint is the availabilty. I wish this beer were released all year round, or at least in carriers by itself instead of only 2 in the Brewmaster 12-pack (sidenote: the rest of the 12 pack is also very good!)

ricchezza, Mar 05, 2008

Poured from 12oz. Bottle into Pint Glass

Beer is a warm, coppery brown. Lumpy, persistently foamy beige head that sticks a bit to the glass, but doesn't really lace, per se. Still, I wish it were as easy to get my shaving soap to lather up like this.

Smells of peaty smoke, oak barrels, caramel, bit of spiciness, almost like nutmeg.

The flavor is similar to the smell: good amount of peat smoke, oak, butter, and a caramelly sweetness. Nice tannin bitterness.

Mouthfeel has nice body, creamy and full.

I'm going to say right here that this is one of my favorite Sam Adams brews. One of their more challenging offerings and it reminds me of an Islay Scotch ...but not so much that I'd rather just have the scotch. I could drink these all day, and I'm still waiting for the brewer to produce a twelve pack of these exclusively.

TheMadJack, Feb 09, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +23.5%

This is quite delicous, wish I could find it on it's own. Pours very dark brown, not much of a head on this. Tastes very malty, caramel, slight hops, even to me a little bit of chocolate, not what I was expecting, though it's extremly slight, but perfect in it's taste. Mouthfeel is nice. Best part is I can drink several of these in a row. Another great beer from the Boston Beer Co.

Manosbeeroffate, Jan 05, 2006
Samuel Adams Scotch Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)