Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Samuel Adams Scotch Ale - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams Scotch AleSamuel Adams Scotch Ale

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 05-19-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams Scotch Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

(Disclaimer: this review is by a beer-newbie, for beer-newbies. Being as such, this review may not appeal to those beer veterans.)

Sam Adams Scotch Ale is a beer that attempts to be a blend between beer and Scotch, and while I'm not sure if it's that attempt is very successful; but it does create a different, however very good beer.

The appearance of this beer was good ... it poured out and had about a 1.5 to 2 inch head ... with a deep amber color.

The smell of this beer was good ... it didn't have an overwhelming beer smell, however when you did smell it, there were some beer smells, plus the roast smell too. Hard to explain, but very pleasant.

The taste of this beer was very average; the roasty taste doesn't appeal to me, but there are other flavors to experience, too. Unfortunately, the roast flavor overpowers the other flavors in the aftertaste, so while you are drinking this beer it may taste good, but you will have a roasty flavor in the aftertaste. Fortunately, it's not a strong aftertaste ....

The mouthfeel was good, but there is a slight heavy carbonation feeling to this beer, which I do not like. On the other side, this is a very smooth beer that you can really drink on, it won't hurt your mouth with carbonation, but it won't feel flat, either.

I gave this beer a pretty high drinkability because of the smoothness of the beer. This is definately not my fav beer thus far, but it is, by far, the smoothest beer I've drank to date. Disregarding the taste and just drinking this beer down was definately the way to drink it in my opinion.

This is a beer that I will drink again, and may order it. Definately on of my favs ... even with the roasty taste.

3.71/5  rDev -1.9%

Beatiful rich amber color with a admirablelight tan head that never seems to disipate till its all gone. Moderate lacing all the way down the glass. Great aromas of malty butterscotchiness and notes of caramel, a little sweet in the nose. Tastes smooth and balenced with both sweetness and twanginess. A bit milder than McEwans offering, watered down in comparision, but this is not exactly a bad thing as it adds to the ease of drinkability. Strong maltiness upfront that front that fades to a smooth buttery and creamy finish, quite pleasent. As mentioned feels a little watery in the mouth and a bit slipery. Quite a drinkable brew all in all and would definately be something to look forward to in the brewmasters collection.

A: Dark amber, caramel color. Clear. Inch white head which lasts the hole time.

S: Slight smokiness, toasted malt, little peat

T: Toffee, peat, earthly

M: slight tickness

O: Very easy drinking, good Scotch Ale. Good flavors. Probably one of their better beers

Poured in snifter.

1.06/5  rDev -72%

this beer is horrible,it tasted more like beer mixed with whiskey. ive tried more bitter ales like arogant bastard, but this beer was

just awful sam's best beer is the oktoberfest one.

i dont recomend this, im sure a scottish person would be insulted by this horrible brew.

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%

A - dark amber color with a thin, white head that disappears shortly after pouring

S - No real dominance in smell, but if I had to say anything I would refer to it at as mildly hoppy.

T - I sampled this beer when I was in college, mainly in my beer pong Busch Light days, and I thought it was terrible. But, as I've gotten away from the urine water that I used to drink, this beer has improved greatly. I get a smoky taste, and the after taste seems to hang around until you get the next sip. Good taste, overall.

D - Not a beer you'd want to play a drinking game with, but definitely a beer that you could session with while watching a sporting event.

2.43/5  rDev -35.7%

A- Deep red, brandywine color. Poured into a glass that had a head but left very quickly.

S- Picked up some liquorish, hardly a sweet smell.

T- I dont know what to say about this one. I was expecting alot more from what my buddies were telling me but I got nothing. It tasted flat to me.

MF- Flat

Overall- I was very exicted to try this beer when I picked up the sampler pack but was kinda let down. I was kinda let down and I love Sam Adams.

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
Samuel Adams Scotch Ale from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)