Samuel Adams White Christmas - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White ChristmasSamuel Adams White Christmas

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-22-2012)
View: Beers (129) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Christmas Alström Bros
Traumahop

Dalmanfsu

12-31-2012 03:59:17 | More by Dalmanfsu
BDIMike

4.38/5  rDev +26.2%

Apperance is amazing on this beer. A very bright golden color with a nice haziness to it. A very refreshing column of bubbles rises up and and creates a thick, fluffy white head that doesn't go away at all.
Smell is fantastic. All the usual Christmas spices of nutmeg, cinnamon, and citrus. Really solid smells.
Taste is great. So much better than all of the other Christmas ales on the market. Instead of the usual stout base, there is a strong wheat and citrus base. The spices feed off that very nicely and become the star.
Mouthfeel has a nice refreshing crispness to it.
Drinkability is awesome on this Christmas Ale. A great load of spices with a lower alcohol than most, makes this beer one to drink a 6 pack or more of. Great selection that I am glad I got a 6 pack of. I need to get to the store to get more before its out.

10-31-2012 01:51:19 | More by BDIMike
tdm168

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

A - hazy orangish yellow with a thin lacing of white head

S - the nose is very nice; vanilla, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger

T - vanilla, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, faint citrus, wheat

M - light to medium bodied, smooth, well carbonated

This is much better than I had expected. Some of the spices used are the typical ones: ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon. But then there's the addition of vanilla which adds a rich, creamy taste. This is definitely not a typical witbier. I could definitely have several of these with family during the holidays. I'll probably pick up some more.

12-01-2012 00:59:20 | More by tdm168
SometimesIfart

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

A - Looks like orange juice, with a quickly receiding quarter finger of white head. No lacing.

S - Banana, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, pie crust. Not what I expected, but good!

T - Banana, cinnamon, lots of pie crust, a bit pumpkiny as well. I can't believe nobody else has picked up on this.

M - Almost no carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, my favorite out of the winter classics pack. Would be a great beer for the fall as well as the winter. I'd have again.

12-27-2012 01:07:44 | More by SometimesIfart
mynie

Indiana

4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

Included in the holiday mix pack I buy every year because I love old fezzywig.

Pours dark for a wit. Smells... wow. Like a surprisingly well balanced, complex blend of good witbier yeast spices and dull, blue fruit. Clove and black pepper but also... blackberries, I think.And lots of orange and cinnamon.

Tastes really good, too. It plays up the heavy, spicy yeast that's the trademark of SA brews. Starts off pretty much like a good, spicy wit, but then it segues into a middle that's like something out of New Glarus: the orange peel dominates, which gives the whole rest of the beer a nice vibe of subdued fruit. It ends with fruit, cinnamon, and whitepepper wheatmalt.

Well, shit. If this were from another brewer the reviews would be a bit better, I think. I like to give credit where credit is due, and it's nice to see SA finally brewing one-offs that play to their strengths, instead of pitiably aping the styles that other brewers are doing. This is a Sam Adams beer, and a damn good one.

11-12-2012 03:59:19 | More by mynie
SaCkErZ9

4.3/5  rDev +23.9%

The 12oz bottle pours into a glass a sort of dark, hazy caramel color with a nice, tight white head. I really like the aroma on this one. There is the typical corriander and pepper and lemon spice of most SA white ales, but there is also a nice cinnamon and vanilla cookie aroma that is quite nice.

I am really liking the flavor here. More vanilla cookie, cinnamon, nutmeg, breadiness, almost a hint of my favorite pumpkin beer Pumking. There is some kind of aftertaste that I cant explain that is really nice; its like a fresh baked sugar cookie.

I dont know if everyone else is missing something, but I really enjoyed this one. From the first sip to the last, it was tasty. The mouthfeel could use some work: for some reason, festive beer should be more chewy than this one presents. Give me a mixed six of this and Fezziwig and my holidays would be "all set".

01-16-2014 22:57:32 | More by SaCkErZ9

Putter

01-07-2013 02:56:17 | More by Putter
NeroFiddled

4.25/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought a six-pack of Samuel Adams White Christmas on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I haven't been so pleasantly surprised by one of their holiday beers since Old Fezziwig perked up my taste buds decades ago.

It's just a full bodied witbier with cinnamon and nutmeg added, but it's nicely done and perfectly accented by the spice... and sometimes that's all it takes, just taking a simple idea or common thing and adding a little bit of something extra to it. This, of course, is not the first amped-up witbier with holiday spices that's even been done, but it's been done very well.

I won't go into the specific details of the beer (color, clarity, head retention, body and so on) because I doubt that's necessary here, but I'll say that I find it remarkably well balanced. In fact, by the time I'd taken my second sip it occurred to me that it might just be the best (spiced) holiday beer that I've ever tasted. The cinnamon is clearly present but not overdone, and the nutmeg comes through nicely as well. The wheaty malt is full, but not cloying or sweet - there's only 8 IBU's to it, but the spice steps in where needed.

Worth trying for sure!

11-25-2012 00:04:44 | More by NeroFiddled
mzeld

10-30-2012 01:45:58 | More by mzeld
mikerems

11-24-2012 03:31:33 | More by mikerems
Samuel Adams White Christmas from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)