Samuel Adams White Christmas - Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams White ChristmasSamuel Adams White Christmas

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Witbier |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 10-22-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Samuel Adams White Christmas Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

A - Looks like orange juice, with a quickly receiding quarter finger of white head. No lacing.

S - Banana, clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, pie crust. Not what I expected, but good!

T - Banana, cinnamon, lots of pie crust, a bit pumpkiny as well. I can't believe nobody else has picked up on this.

M - Almost no carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, my favorite out of the winter classics pack. Would be a great beer for the fall as well as the winter. I'd have again.

SometimesIfart, Dec 27, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +24.8%

Included in the holiday mix pack I buy every year because I love old fezzywig.

Pours dark for a wit. Smells... wow. Like a surprisingly well balanced, complex blend of good witbier yeast spices and dull, blue fruit. Clove and black pepper but also... blackberries, I think.And lots of orange and cinnamon.

Tastes really good, too. It plays up the heavy, spicy yeast that's the trademark of SA brews. Starts off pretty much like a good, spicy wit, but then it segues into a middle that's like something out of New Glarus: the orange peel dominates, which gives the whole rest of the beer a nice vibe of subdued fruit. It ends with fruit, cinnamon, and whitepepper wheatmalt.

Well, shit. If this were from another brewer the reviews would be a bit better, I think. I like to give credit where credit is due, and it's nice to see SA finally brewing one-offs that play to their strengths, instead of pitiably aping the styles that other brewers are doing. This is a Sam Adams beer, and a damn good one.

mynie, Nov 12, 2012
4.3/5  rDev +23.9%

The 12oz bottle pours into a glass a sort of dark, hazy caramel color with a nice, tight white head. I really like the aroma on this one. There is the typical corriander and pepper and lemon spice of most SA white ales, but there is also a nice cinnamon and vanilla cookie aroma that is quite nice.

I am really liking the flavor here. More vanilla cookie, cinnamon, nutmeg, breadiness, almost a hint of my favorite pumpkin beer Pumking. There is some kind of aftertaste that I cant explain that is really nice; its like a fresh baked sugar cookie.

I dont know if everyone else is missing something, but I really enjoyed this one. From the first sip to the last, it was tasty. The mouthfeel could use some work: for some reason, festive beer should be more chewy than this one presents. Give me a mixed six of this and Fezziwig and my holidays would be "all set".

SaCkErZ9, Jan 16, 2014

Jstewart6, Dec 31, 2013

tallfellapgh, Dec 25, 2012

Putter, Jan 07, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I bought a six-pack of Samuel Adams White Christmas on a whim, and I'm glad I did. I haven't been so pleasantly surprised by one of their holiday beers since Old Fezziwig perked up my taste buds decades ago.

It's just a full bodied witbier with cinnamon and nutmeg added, but it's nicely done and perfectly accented by the spice... and sometimes that's all it takes, just taking a simple idea or common thing and adding a little bit of something extra to it. This, of course, is not the first amped-up witbier with holiday spices that's even been done, but it's been done very well.

I won't go into the specific details of the beer (color, clarity, head retention, body and so on) because I doubt that's necessary here, but I'll say that I find it remarkably well balanced. In fact, by the time I'd taken my second sip it occurred to me that it might just be the best (spiced) holiday beer that I've ever tasted. The cinnamon is clearly present but not overdone, and the nutmeg comes through nicely as well. The wheaty malt is full, but not cloying or sweet - there's only 8 IBU's to it, but the spice steps in where needed.

Worth trying for sure!

NeroFiddled, Nov 25, 2012

mzeld, Oct 30, 2012

mikerems, Nov 24, 2012

CountryRock2001, Feb 24, 2013

gnuguy, Dec 05, 2013

cheribom, Jan 02, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.0 A: Lightly hazed yellow orange color. Two fingers of frothy white head. Retention is a touch below average and just a wisp or two of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Quite a pleasant aroma. Big coriander with peppery and slightly bready yeast. Just enough sweetness from a neutral maltiness. Simple, but nice.

3.75 T: It tastes even better than it smells. Coriander and peppery spiciness. Sweet neutral malts. Hints of cinnamon and wintry spices.

4.0 M: Medium body. Pleasantly creamy with good moderate carbonation. Supremely smooth.

5.0 D: Supremely drinkable. I could put this down all night.

DavoleBomb, Nov 12, 2014

srb176, Jun 07, 2014

flannelandbrews, Nov 01, 2012

michele97394, Jan 07, 2013

Benvarine, Jan 17, 2014
Samuel Adams White Christmas from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)